Evolution

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
Believe in it? Don't believe? Whatever your belief, give your reason why.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I believe in it! I think that we are still a young species and are continuing to evolve even now. Nothing about human being as a species is set in stone, as of now, as far as I'm concerned. C:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Evolution is a fact and it's beautiful. All life comes from the same place, we're all connected by common ancestry. And we're the only species smart enough to have figured that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccvfEJjfFOI&amp;feature=related <--- Carl Sagan, again, summing it all up nicely.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    No I don't believe in evolution. I believe we were created by God in His image. When I think about the complex systems of our bodies I can't imagine how we could possibly be a product of evolution. Even our solar system is so perfectly in balance and held together that it's impossible for me to believe it happened by accident. I have a book by John F. Ashton PhD titled "in six days - why fifty scientist choose to believe in creation". If I had had doubts about creation, this book would have convinced me to believe in it.
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    I believe the world was created and that the creators made the world Evolve.

So yes, I do believe in evolution. I don't believe in the Biblical creation, but I feel the world was created by a spiritual being. I just feel that over the years, that being made the world evolve.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Evolution is a fact and it's beautiful. All life comes from the same place, we're all connected by common ancestry. And we're the only species smart enough to have figured that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccvfEJjfFOI&amp;feature=related <--- Carl Sagan, again, summing it all up nicely.

We aren't the only species on this planet that can communicate. We just happen to be the dominate species on earth. Maybe other animals do know whats going on. And the universe is an infinitely large place. Expanding faster than the speed of light. Who knows whats out there. To say were the only ones smart enough to figure out whats going on (and we really only have a vague idea) is kinda ignorant.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    IMO not believing in evolution is a bit like not believing in gravity.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think in a way you can't really debate that we have the ability to evolve and adapt, the science and evidence is simply there and it is not really a "debatable" subject (at least in my opinion). With that being said, I was born and raised in a very catholic family, I've never believed in the bible but have always believed in "something else." To imagine a universe appearing virtually out of nowhere seems highly improbable to me. But if such a high and mighty god were to exist, would it not be of his own interest to leave the least amount of evidence of his existence? Would this not separate the true "believers" vs the scientific skeptics.

ETA: I just realized that post made me sound super religious haha which I certainly am not. I'm taking a chemical evolutions course in my University. I love science with a passion, but there are still so many aspects of it that we have yet to understand.
  • Bahet
    Options
    I think in a way you can't really debate that we have the ability to evolve and adapt, the science and evidence is simply there and it is not really a "debatable" subject (at least in my opinion). With that being said, I was born and raised in a very catholic family, I've never believed in the bible but have always believed in "something else." To imagine a universe appearing virtually out of nowhere seems highly improbable to me. But if such a high and mighty god were to exist, would it not be of his own interest to leave the least amount of evidence of his existence? Would this not separate the true "believers" vs the scientific skeptics.
    Why would He want to leave little evidence. He's supposed to be all powerful. I'd think He'd want to leave complete, total, and irrefutable evidence. Painters sign their work. Inventors get patents. Why would God leave us nothing? Worse, why would he leave nothing then punish those who don't believe?

I do believe in God. But like someone else said, I think He set everything into motion and we've evolved from there.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Why would He want to leave little evidence. He's supposed to be all powerful. I'd think He'd want to leave complete, total, and irrefutable evidence. Painters sign their work. Inventors get patents. Why would God leave us nothing? Worse, why would he leave nothing then punish those who don't believe?

I do believe in God. But like someone else said, I think He set everything into motion and we've evolved from there.

I agree with your last point entirely of "setting things into motion"
    And it certainly is an interesting theory that he would want to leave us something behind, in a sense to "brag about it".

But what makes you think he is punishing the non-believers? Surely you are not saying non-believers are to be punished in "hell". This is what I mean when I say I believe there is "something else" but don't believe in the bible.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    This debate is really a "false problem". The stories in the Bible about the creation of the world and, eventually, of humans, are designed to answer the great questions about where we came from, what our existence means, etc. The Bible does this by using poetic imagery and devices. These stories are definitely not intended to teach a particular scientific theory about what physical mechanisms were used by God to bring about this world. I can believe that God created the world and guided an evolutionary process with the goal of eventually bringing humans into this world without contradicting the meaning of the biblical stories. To put it simply, whether or not one accepts some version of the theory of evolution should be based on the scientific evidence for that theory, not because the Bible supports or does not support it. The early chapters of the book of Genesis obviously have a poetic structure (e.g., seven creative days, Ten creative "words" from God; both recalling the commandments). It would be silly to interpret a poem as a literal statement and the same is true about the Bible. Although I do not know if the theory of evolution will survive future revolutions in science, I see nothing impossible with the idea that God brought a universe of unformed matter into existence by his infinite power ("Big Bang") and instilled in that material world the principles that would lead to a relentless process of "becoming" ("evolution") that would eventually produce creatures aware of themselves, the world, and God, who are also capable of freely choosing to return to their Creator.
  • Bahet
    Options
    But what makes you think he is punishing the non-believers? Surely you are not saying non-believers are to be punished in "hell". This is what I mean when I say I believe there is "something else" but don't believe in the bible.

I'm just talking about what some Christians believe - that if you don't believe in their version of God (who doesn't leave any real proof of His existence) that you are going to hell.

Macpatti, you can't quote the Bible to prove that God exists. That's a bit like quoting Twilight to prove that vampires exist. If you don't already believe what the Bible says, it's just another story.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    We aren't the only species on this planet that can communicate. We just happen to be the dominate species on earth. Maybe other animals do know whats going on. And the universe is an infinitely large place. Expanding faster than the speed of light. Who knows whats out there. To say were the only ones smart enough to figure out whats going on (and we really only have a vague idea) is kinda ignorant.

Other species can communicate. But why would they understand evolution? We're the dominant species and it took us thousands of years and amazing leaps to figure it out. And you see even everyone here still doesn't get it.

Sure alien species might very well understand evolution, probably better than us. But I certainly didn't think I needed to include them in my statement. I'm not nuts. But I'll clarify for you.

On the planet Earth we are the only species with an understanding of evolution, and even that we're still working on.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Macpatti, you can't quote the Bible to prove that God exists. That's a bit like quoting Twilight to prove that vampires exist. If you don't already believe what the Bible says, it's just another story.

I don't understand your statement. What do you mean I can't quote the bible to prove God exists?
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Also we have to stop confusing the issue. Religion has no place in the discussion. This is science. No one brings religion into physics. The evidence for evolution is undeniable. It's a theory the same way gravity is a theory. It's not a hypothesis, it's not a guess. If you've ever taken a prescription antibiotic guess what? You believe in evolution.

There are entire museums filled with fossils. We have sequenced our genomes and we can see where and when species split from one another. No one is out there making all this up.

Just look at the face of a chimp and tell me you don't feel like you're looking at family.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Come on, Brett. Most debates regarding evolution have one side coming from a scientific position and the other a religious. Of course religion has a place in this discussion. However, my post was to show how religion and science can often go hand in hand, and not always oppose each other.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

I don't understand your statement. What do you mean I can't quote the bible to prove God exists?

Patti he's referring to the circular argument for God. "God is real because the bible says so and the bible is true because it's the word of God."

We can go on and on about that but this thread is about evolution. We have another thread we can slug it out in for religious issues.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Patti he's referring to the circular argument for God. "God is real because the bible says so and the bible is true because it's the word of God."

We can go on and on about that but this thread is about evolution. We have another thread we can slug it out in for religious issues.

Gotcha. Yeah, we'll save that for another thread.
  • macpatti
    Options
    No one brings religion into physics.

You can bring theology and philosophy in all subjects. We do it all the time where I work (a Jesuit school). We should be able to see God in all things.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Come on, Brett. Most debates regarding evolution have one side coming from a scientific position and the other a religious. Of course religion has a place in this discussion. However, my post was to show how religion and science can often go hand in hand, and not always oppose each other.

You're right Patti. But that shouldn't be the case. Other aspects of science don't have to deal with religious believers arguing the con side. Singling out only evolution is uncalled for.

If religion wants to argue against evolution it had better provide some evidence. Because evolution has evidence. TONS of it.

Religion and science have conflicted before. Ask Galileo. They were wrong then. They're also wrong when they say evolution is false or that dinosaurs didn't exist. I don't say these things to be offensive. I say them because they are true.
  • macpatti
    Options
    You're right Patti. But that shouldn't be the case. Why don't discussions about physics have to deal with religious believers arguing the con side?

What I'm saying is that if religion wants to argue against evolution it had better provide some evidence. Because evolution has evidence. TONS of it.

Religion and science have conflicted before. Ask Galileo. They were wrong then. They're also wrong when they say evolution is false or that dinosaurs don't exist. I don't say these things to be offensive. I say them because they are true.

But what I'm saying is not everyone who is religious argues against evolution. I know plenty of theologians who will explain it just as I did. It's a "false problem".

No offense taken!