Getting Started

Options
This is about me and my tips. I encourage everyone to talk about their beginning and add their tips here. Please also use this for asking questions as your just starting out or thinking about using this program.
I wish I had something profound to say about getting started in the program, but I rarely have anything profound to say so there you are. Also, everyone is going to be in a different place when they get started. Personally, I’ve been in and out of the weight room since high school 15 years ago. I’ve only taken my trips to the weight room seriously twice. I had a personal trainer a few years ago, she was awesome but her goal was to keep me paying her not to make me independent. We had a good time training and it was challenging.
The second was during this weight loss. I lost 30 pounds in a short period of time (March to July 1) and then wanted something more and found myself once again with a trainer. Again it was fun, but didn’t promote independence. I’ve always been driven, and he had a great time challenging me, what I could do and was willing to do he thought was pretty impressive. I’ve never been okay being deemed as “impressive for a girl” as I was always a boy, in athletics I never wanted to compete against the girls, why would I when I could beat the boys? To be fair, I’m a BodyStep and BodyPump instructor. I had started running again, and taking spin classes, not to mention finding every opportunity possible to be active and push myself into uncomfortable exercise opportunities. So I came into this with strength
I digress. When those sessions ran out I had to figure out how to be independent in the weight room. I began been reading on mfp about nrol4w and decided to buy the book. I liked with Lou had to say and how he presented it. It gave me the confidence to go it alone in the weight room.
So this leads me into things that are important to remember for me (notice I said for me):
1) There are a ton of links in the description of this group, use them.
2) As with any program, if you have injuries or it has been a long time since you exercised, talk to your doctor and make sure that the program is right for you.
3) Research different programs and make sure you’ve selected one that you like. It may have cost me $10 or $15 bucks to buy this book off Amazon for my Kindle, but the library is free, so is bodybuiling.com. Look around a little.
4) Muscle soreness is inevitable, it is important to know the difference between muscle soreness and bodily injury. It’s a good thing to push through muscle soreness, it’s a bad thing to continue to work through injury.
5) Repair days are crucial, and when you are sore the day after a hard lift it is important to keep moving. Take some advil and go on a walk. I suggest you invest in a foam roller on top of the book.
6) Take before and after pictures. You don’t have to post them anywhere, but since this is your body and you see it every day it may be the best way to really see a difference.
7) Get your measurements. Take out the seamstress measure and take your inches (thighs, calves, hips, waist, bust, upper arms), you may not see the scale move so between this and the pictures it will hopefully keep you encouraged.
8) Don’t be afraid to get outside of your comfort bubble. This is exercise, not a Sunday walk in the park, you have to learn how to push yourself and use the resources (like this group) to gain encouragement. It’s okay to be afraid, it’s not okay to give into your fears.
9) When should I start? Start your program Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday . . . see where I’m going? Start when it’s right for you, all that matters is that you just start. Pick a day a week or 2 in advance to give yourself time to research or mentally prepare.
10) Am I fit enough or too fit to do this program? This is a self driven program, anyone at any level should be able to do it and get results (with a doctor’s release).
11) Swagger, do it like you own it and no one will wonder if you it belongs to you.

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your tips! I am literally at the start. I have read much of the book and am about to start on the actual workout process. My beginning is going to be radically different. I haven't really lifted weights in 20 years and have not done any major exercise in probably 5 years, except for just previous to breaking my ankle in February and that was literally just a couple of weeks of easy circuit training. Now, I'm in the final days of PT for the broken ankle, and I want to get going.

Any suggestions for a real beginner?
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    11) Swagger, do it like you own it and no one will wonder if you it belongs to you.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

Enough said!
  • ubermagee
    ubermagee Posts: 57
    Options
    Hello,

After much deliberation and hearing great reviews about the book, I've just ordered it. I'm so excited to change my routine, as I'm starting to get a little bored and disappointed with my slowing results from doing pure cardio. I'm looking forward to having that healthy mix of cardio and strength training in order to lose fat and have a lean, healthy body :)

Any advice would be really appreciated as I'm feeling a bit behind with everything at the moment. After a weekend of heavy bank-holiday eating, I'd really appreciate some encouragement.

A xxx
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I just started today and hope I can stick with it.
  • 87missc87
    87missc87 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:

The book should be delievered to me today. I'll be looking forward to the read and taking some "Before" pics and measurements tonight. Great tips!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to walk into the gym with my printed workout spreadsheet, plus photocopies of the moves for STage 1, put them in front of the poor unsuspecting trainee instructor who was expecting to design a workout for me and say 'this is what I want you to show me'.

And it was easy. It was late evening so there were few people in the gym, they have a great new weight room downstairs (sadly the lat-pulldown machine is upstairs), and he showed me everything I needed without passing judgement.

no excuses left now!!!!!!

have taken measurements and just photos left to take and we're off!!!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to walk into the gym with my printed workout spreadsheet, plus photocopies of the moves for STage 1, put them in front of the poor unsuspecting trainee instructor who was expecting to design a workout for me and say 'this is what I want you to show me'.

This is awesome! Some people are afraid to ask for help at a gym. Good for you!
  • 61TJ
    61TJ Posts: 15
    Options
    I have ordered the book on Ebay, and it should be here soon, I have been mucking around with weights on and off for years, to no great success, I have tried the methods of Tosca Reno and Joyce Vedral. I do my exercise at home and am quite motivated, but I am wondering if there is any special equipment that I will have to buy. I already have a barbell, with some weights, several different weighted sest of dumbells, a Diamond Gym weight station, a knee lift and chin up station, a treadmill and a 2 in one elliptical trainer and bike. I am 50 yo, and I have been using MFP, for a couple of months as I only had a little weight to lose, and have done so because my cholesterol is quite high.
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Starting this program tomorrow! I am beyond excited to start!!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

And it was easy. It was late evening so there were few people in the gym, they have a great new weight room downstairs (sadly the lat-pulldown machine is upstairs), and he showed me everything I needed without passing judgement.

no excuses left now!!!!!!

have taken measurements and just photos left to take and we're off!!!

Good job!

I started yesterday. I'm one of those people the author has to tell to "step away from the treadmill." This is completely out of my comfort zone -- not because it's weights, but because there is no emphasis on cardio. I am worried about giving it up during the first stage but I truly want my body to get the recovery days (it's never really gotten them before). I think I'll do just the program for a couple of weeks, then maybe add in some runs on the off days and see how I feel the next lift day. I also upped my calories by 500/day (used the calc in his book) and moved my protein to 35% of my diet. I've definately been 100% more full.

The workout was hard (I was really pushing those last reps of each set) but I'm used to a killer cardio session so I still felt guilty walking out of the gym. I'll get over it though :)
  • 4KatieLynn4
    Options
    Hi ladies, i just found this group and am excited to get motivation and help! How did you all go about starting the first day, i have finished the book but im very intimitated to walk in the weight room and try the stuff. How do you remember all the moves, i have my spreadsheats ready but still dont remember the move it says.. any advice?
  • duranchick72
    duranchick72 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in Stage 1, at Workout #7. I started bringing the book with me but after a little while, i was okay without it. After a month I do see a difference in my body and strength. I am okay now with invading the "Manly" weight area :) Buy a clicp board and get going! You won't look back!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I put it in my phone!
  • jhcowan
    jhcowan Posts: 10
    Options
    I just ordered the book. I am not a gym member, are there plenty of exercises to do with just free weights?
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @jhcowan: I do it at home. It is mostly free weights. A few things needed like an exercise ball. You will eventually need some heavier weights and ideally a squat rack with an olympic barbell (45#) that you can load up with weight. He has some substitutions if you don't have a cable system. Hope that helps!
  • 4KatieLynn4
    Options
    So excited did my first workout today, had my husband go with me an show me where everything was! I'm so happy I stepped out of my comfort level an did it!! I put the workout in my phone, wit directions an it went great, can't wait for the next one!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to start doing this program from home. I am on a tight budget, so what is the minimum equipment I need in order to be able to follow this plan, I am looking at buying an aerobics step to use as a weight bench, and some dumbbells, I think I know where I can borrow a barbell until I can afford one. What else do I need, do I really need a squat rack? As thats going to be totally unattainable for me.
    I have ordered the book from the library, but I am going to buy it if I can get the equipment.

ETA: I see someone up there has mentioned I will also need a swiss ball, thanks.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to start doing this program from home. I am on a tight budget, so what is the minimum equipment I need in order to be able to follow this plan, I am looking at buying an aerobics step to use as a weight bench, and some dumbbells, I think I know where I can borrow a barbell until I can afford one. What else do I need, do I really need a squat rack? As thats going to be totally unattainable for me.
    I have ordered the book from the library, but I am going to buy it if I can get the equipment.

ETA: I see someone up there has mentioned I will also need a swiss ball, thanks.

A squat rack does 2 things:

1) Provides safety when as you increase weight. If you are squatting properly those last few reps should be a challenge, if not nearly impossible to do. If you get stuck the only way to go is down, a squat rack offer a safe way to dismount your bar in a tacky situation.
    2) Allows you to push your squat weight. I can clean n press 80 - 90 pounds, I can squat 155. Before my gym had a squat rack my progress was held up by how much weight I could clean n press, and there's a huge difference between 90 pounds and 155 pounds. With out the squat rack I'd be stalled at 90.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I started New Rules today. I'm 5'8'', 186 lbs. I started MFP at 207 lbs about a year ago. I've been doing cardio (mostly running and tennis) with light strength training (pushups, lunges, etc.), but stopped losing weight last fall and have been hovering around 185 for months and months and now I want to focus on body composition, not just the scale. I eat a pretty clean, heavy protein diet (100-150 grams daily) but will probably increase it even more now with New Rules.

Here's how I prepared for New Rules. I read the book cover to cover this weekend and made sure I had all the equipment I needed to start today. I have a small home gym with a mini bowflex and adjustable weight dumbells, but I needed to get a Swiss ball. I'm also an Excel nerd, so I made my own spreadsheet for the A & B workout, along with other things I want to track like the date, my calorie burn, etc. On Saturday, I looked at all the exercises for the Stage 1 A & B workouts and figured out how to do them with the equipment I had available (squats, for example, had to be modified, and I had to find something to stand on for the step ups.) I also reviewed my form using the book and tried to figure out what a good starting weight would be for each exercise so I could be more efficient during my first workout.

This morning, before I started, I took photos, measurements, and documented my resting HR, my weight, my BMI, and my body fat % (with a calculator I bought for $30 on Amazon). I wore a heart rate monitor to track my calorie burn. I warmed up on the treadmill with a 1.0 mile run alternating each eighth mile between 5.0 mph and 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0 mph. Then I did some stretching and started the lifting workout.

It felt great! My preparation ahead of time really helped me focus on my workout, and I can't wait to do the B workout on Wednesday. Everyone approaches this differently, but I thought I would share my experience in case it helps anyone else. If you're just getting started too, or if you have a home gym and need to modify some of the exercise, I'd love to share experiences. Feel friend to send a FR - we're in this together!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks allabtlm, could I basically have the same deal by having someone spotting me instead of a squat rack?
    Wow those are heavy weights, how long have you been doing this for? When you started did you think you would ever be lifting that heavy? Are you lifting more than your body weight?

I am watching some 20kg adjustable dumbbells, 40kg adjustable barbell, and aerobics steps on trademe. I have obtained a swiss ball. Hopefully that will be enough for me to get started with. Just waiting for some of the stuff to go cheap enough on trademe lol.

My book should be at the library today so will crack on with reading that tonight.