Getting Started

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I don't have a hrm anyway, but I guess what you are saying is these are net calories, so will need to eat more on the days I do cardio.
    What's the best way to have the two different calorie goals, should I set my daily goal as the workout day goal, then on days I don't exercise I could "quick add calorie"the difference even though I don't eat it, to make that days goal lower?
    Hope that makes sense.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to work without exercise, so you set your non-workout goal, then when you register your exercise, you eat back your calories. I manually put in my calories burned for strength training DO NOT use what MFP recommends. When the box pops up saying how many minutes then how many calories, it gives you a number. You erase that number and put in your difference for WO and non-WO days. Mine is 300. I register cardio separate.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks, but I don't think you quite understand what I was asking.
    Mfp doesn't do burned calories for strength training anyway, so unless someone has a better idea I will stick with what I said above, seems like it would work.
    Will set goal at 1693, maybe eat back cardio calories, then on weekends I will quick add 220 odd calories I didn't eat to lose my goal.
    I think I need to read about protein again though.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    If you click on cardio there is an option for strength training but it tends to give you a very low number for calories burned, but I get what you're saying. Give it a try and see how is goes. You can always change it later if it doesn't work for you.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Oh I see, I didn't realise there was a strength training bit under cardio sorry, what you are saying totally makes sense now, and will probably be a bit of an easier way to have the two different goals for different days thanks.
    I have reread the protein bit and that makes sense now as well, I think I must have been tired last night!
    I am starting the whole thing next Monday, very exciting!
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Also, has anyone dinner this with a BMI lower than 18? It means I am not in the chart, I am using calories for BMI of 18, worried out may be to many calories as that puts my 30% protein at much higher than 2 grams per kg of body weight.
    Not sure of the best way to work out my daily goal.
  • 61TJ
    61TJ Posts: 15
    Options
    I have a question, the book says that 30% of your daily calories should be protein. How do I figure out what 30% is. If my calories are 1200, then I need 400 calories worth of protein. Brown rice for instance has protein and carbs in it, do I count the total calories of the rice as protein or carbs, I might sound a bit stupid here sorry
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I put my calorie goal into mfp, then entered that I wanted to do 30% protein and it gave me the number of grams. Hope that helps :)
  • 61TJ
    61TJ Posts: 15
    Options
    I put my calorie goal into mfp, then entered that I wanted to do 30% protein and it gave me the number of grams. Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much, that helps heaps :0)
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Anyone have tips for high protein, low fat and carb eating? I've been having a play with my food diary and the only time ice managed to come close on the protein I went over on everything else.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Anyone have tips for high protein, low fat and carb eating? I've been having a play with my food diary and the only time ice managed to come close on the protein I went over on everything else.

I work in a protein shake everyday or I wouldn't be able to hit my protein goal (150g). Isopure Zero has FIFTY grams of protein, zero carbs, 1 gram of fat, and 210 calories. I knock out a third of my daily requirements in one shake!
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks, I have worked in a protein shake on my lifting days, but can't really afford every day otherwise I would, although the shakes I have have much less protein than that.
    I've worked in tuna and greek yoghurt, added nuts, seeds and eggs since I have heard so much great things about them but they are high in fats.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I found some stuff at the shops that should be good, so I will have a fiddle with my food diary again later.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I bought the book in March, but finally got to the gym yesterday to start. I am nice and sore today! Happy to see a lot of other newbies in this group!

I am a stranger to the weight room - I have been a runner (distance) for about five years, and normally do very basic strength training (Jillian). I won't be giving up my cardio :-) Free weights are very intimidating for me! Luckily my husband had lots of weight lifting experience and showed me how to do the exercises on the equipment in our gym.

Two questions:
    1. Workout A starts with squats - are these weightless? Or with the bar? I used the bar...
    2. The only option at my gym is the Smith machine. Anyone else use this? Any tips on making it not so awkward?
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I bought the book in March, but finally got to the gym yesterday to start. I am nice and sore today! Happy to see a lot of other newbies in this group!

I am a stranger to the weight room - I have been a runner (distance) for about five years, and normally do very basic strength training (Jillian). I won't be giving up my cardio :-) Free weights are very intimidating for me! Luckily my husband had lots of weight lifting experience and showed me how to do the exercises on the equipment in our gym.

Two questions:
    1. Workout A starts with squats - are these weightless? Or with the bar? I used the bar...
    2. The only option at my gym is the Smith machine. Anyone else use this? Any tips on making it not so awkward?

I did the squats with weights. I don't want to use the smith machine because it can be dangerous if it isn't used correctly. I used dumb bells on my shoulders instead.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ok I am so confused, I have read the book and looked on here. What routine am I suppose to be following. I understand I start at stage 1 but do I do all of A (squats) all workouts or just 1,2 ? Do I do A then B1 on the same day, Im lost. Someone please write this in crayon so I get it. I must have missed something. thanks
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Ok I am so confused, I have read the book and looked on here. What routine am I suppose to be following. I understand I start at stage 1 but do I do all of A (squats) all workouts or just 1,2 ? Do I do A then B1 on the same day, Im lost. Someone please write this in crayon so I get it. I must have missed something. thanks

You do workout A, take a day off, then do workout B, take a day off, then do workout A again. Keep alternating. Clear it up for ya?
  • thomassd1969
    Options

You do workout A, take a day off, then do workout B, take a day off, then do workout A again. Keep alternating. Clear it up for ya?

Im sorry I usually get things very easy but for some reason Im not getting this. So I do all of work out A on one day. Squats, push ups, seated row, step ups, prone jackknife all workouts 1-8? Is that right?
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Copied from another site :) It helped me. That initial confusion is universal... LOL

Stage 1

Week 1
    Mon. Workout A –
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise A
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise B1
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise B2
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise C1
    Rest 60 secs.
    1 set of 15 reps of Exercise C2
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    You are now finished with Monday's Workout A, go relax for the rest of the day!

Wed. Workout B –
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Done with Wednesday's Workout B...

Fri. Workout A –
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Rest 60 secs.
    Done with Friday's Workout A...You have now completed your first week of workouts. The second week would then start with Workout B, as outlined below. I won't go any further at this point. You can continue the formula.
  • thomassd1969
    Options
    Thats so funny because I just found the same site. Thanks so much for all the help. After reading several forums on this it seem to be a very confusing process. Thanks again