Getting Started

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Starting today! Wish me luck! I thought I was eating a lot already (1600cal+workout) but now I am aiming for 2200 on lifting days!
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to start doing this program from home. I am on a tight budget, so what is the minimum equipment I need in order to be able to follow this plan, I am looking at buying an aerobics step to use as a weight bench, and some dumbbells, I think I know where I can borrow a barbell until I can afford one. What else do I need, do I really need a squat rack? As thats going to be totally unattainable for me.
    I have ordered the book from the library, but I am going to buy it if I can get the equipment.

ETA: I see someone up there has mentioned I will also need a swiss ball, thanks.

A squat rack does 2 things:

1) Provides safety when as you increase weight. If you are squatting properly those last few reps should be a challenge, if not nearly impossible to do. If you get stuck the only way to go is down, a squat rack offer a safe way to dismount your bar in a tacky situation.
    2) Allows you to push your squat weight. I can clean n press 80 - 90 pounds, I can squat 155. Before my gym had a squat rack my progress was held up by how much weight I could clean n press, and there's a huge difference between 90 pounds and 155 pounds. With out the squat rack I'd be stalled at 90.

This helps me out a lot! Thanks for this, I had been trying to get the answer to this because I am away from home and the gym I am using does not have a squat rack (and only EZ curl barbells) But I refuse to wait till the end of the month to continue!! I started yesterday with Workout B, using the EZ curl, so tomorrow I need to do Workout A ... I guess I'll use dumbells for now and move up to the squat rack when I get home to the gym! =) Thanks for explaining the importance of this again!!
  • mercury8826
    Options
    I've been reading and have setup things up to start Stage 1 on Monday, but the eating scares me a bit.. >__< I know people say it all the time "Eat more, Loss Weight!" Heck, I've even seen it in some of your tinkers! ^^;; I've aimed for 1200 cal for so many years its weird to think that 2000 cal will help me lose fat!! But, I'm going to try and step with my best foot forward and make an effort... but just to be sure... Does it really work? Do any of you have experience of eating more and getting more fit? =o
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and have setup things up to start Stage 1 on Monday, but the eating scares me a bit.. >__< I know people say it all the time "Eat more, Loss Weight!" Heck, I've even seen it in some of your tinkers! ^^;; I've aimed for 1200 cal for so many years its weird to think that 2000 cal will help me lose fat!! But, I'm going to try and step with my best foot forward and make an effort... but just to be sure... Does it really work? Do any of you have experience of eating more and getting more fit? =o

If your goal is to lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn. On this program you'll be working hard and burning, so you'll want to eat more. Your body will make you! You will get results doing this program no matter what, whether that be weight loss or just getting fit. You do need to fuel your workouts properly to make the most of it. You can tweak your calories as you go. Just commit to doing the full program to the finish. Trust it and trust the authors. Alwyn Cosgrove designed these workouts based on real results he gets working with real people like us in his gym, Results Fitness, every day. His focus is real world fat loss for real people and he has been very successful. You'll love it...especially the one arm DB snatches.
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    save. would love the spreadsheet and can't thank you enough! email edited for privacy
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this would help anyone but it is helping me. I just started Stage 1 this week (loving it so far) and I was having trouble remembering proper form for each exercise. So, I created a spreadsheet (really i just added to someone else's). It has the workouts on one side and I took sample pics of all of the workouts (Stage 1 Workout A & B) with descriptions and printed them on the other side.

I can send anyone the spreadsheet if you would like it. It has helped me when I don't remember proper form or what the exercise i just look on the back of my workout log and it's all there.

I would love a copy of this if that's ok, it sounds so useful :D Thank you in advance!! (email edited for privacy) (yes the weird is spelt wrong in the e-mail lol)
  • AMG629
    AMG629 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just have a quick question on the post-workout shakes and it might be a dumb one..lol I have some Herbalife protein shake mix, but I don't see anything about whey protein in the ingredients. Is it important to buy WHEY protein mix or is the AMOUNT of protein in the mix the important part?
  • Rikasue
    Rikasue Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i've been doing NROL4W for about 5 months - and I'm in stage 5. I have a general question. As I read the book, it said the workouts should last about an hour. Anybody done in an hour. I do each workout only 3 times and not the 4 as suggested, and I certainly don't use all my rest time. Even then, it's almost an hour and 15 minutes. I would love to do more, but I already get up at 3:20 am to work out.

Just curious.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    i've been doing NROL4W for about 5 months - and I'm in stage 5. I have a general question. As I read the book, it said the workouts should last about an hour. Anybody done in an hour. I do each workout only 3 times and not the 4 as suggested, and I certainly don't use all my rest time. Even then, it's almost an hour and 15 minutes. I would love to do more, but I already get up at 3:20 am to work out.

Just curious.

No, most of them are way longer -- especially with the HIIT. At least 1 hr 15 minutes.

AMG629, I don't think it matters if it's whey. How many g's/shake of protein is there in yours?
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Just have a quick question on the post-workout shakes and it might be a dumb one..lol I have some Herbalife protein shake mix, but I don't see anything about whey protein in the ingredients. Is it important to buy WHEY protein mix or is the AMOUNT of protein in the mix the important part?

The amount of protein is what you're looking for and if I recall correctly it's 20 calories per 5 grams of protein? IMO Herbalife protein powder doesn't have much protein bang for the buck and it's not flavored (at least the stuff I used to have wasn't) so it doesn't taste good unless you mix it with the Formula 1, which adds more calories and carbs. I use Body Fortress (I get at Fred Meyer) and it's 140 calories with 26 grams of protein and only 4 carbs and it tastes good with milk.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I actually went to netrition.com and ordered their protein supplement sampler to get a taste and look/see at several different kinds. All have at least 20+ gms of protein per serving, and nearly all are quite low carb and little or no sugar. Some are great, others, not so. It's a good way to check 'em out tho!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.Im Melissa and I started the program last night and am super excited to progress. So happy to see a forum dedicated to this program. I have just one question (for now) I started squatting 30lbs with the barbell. Its my understanding that on friday I should add a little more weight to the barbell? and each time thereafter? I appreciate the help.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    hello! I just started last night and Id love it if you could send me the spreadsheet with the pics on it. Thanks in advance
    email edited for privacy
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the book and am very anxious to get started - I'm really happy I found this group and glad that I read through all these threads first - most definitely will clear up any confusion that I'm sure to have when reading the book. I never was really interested in strength training before, but I have so many friends on here that have inspired me to give it a shot. I have never stepped foot in a gym and can't even do one freaking military style pushup so this should prove to be very interesting and challenging for me, but I am determined to give it a go.

Thanks to all of you that have posted your tips and questions - it has helped me tremendously already and I just started reading the book.

Feel free to friend me with a message that you're doing this (read my profile if you need to).

SOOOO Excited. I'm ready to rock!
  • TinaB_2012
    TinaB_2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just got NROL4W a few days ago based off a recommendation from MFP member. I never considered lifting before, but I'm excited to get started. I'm not afraid of "bulking" up too much. My fear is following the nutrition guidelines and still lose weight. I'm in the military and have to be a specific weight in 9 weeks (12 pounds less than what I weigh now), so I don't have time to play with my diet like the book recommends.

How did the rest of you do by following the guidelines?
  • jenniet04
    Options
    I only have 10 lbs to lose and have been having a hard time losing it to be honest - but I've been eating close to maintenance. I definitely recommend that you still eat at a deficit and do cardio on your nonlifting days if you want to lose weight. I actually did lose about 5 lbs when I was doing this, but then went on vacation, gained it back and have gotten off my routine, but I'm starting back at it today. He recommends cutting your calories by about 15% after you have done the full calculation of your maintenance calories. Give it at least a month at that level. You will probably still gain a bit initially because you are changing your routine. Also, most of us notice weight loss on a rest week, so you may want to time your lifting schedule so that your rest week is just before your weigh in date.
  • TinaB_2012
    TinaB_2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips jenniet04 :-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I lost 2 pounds during the first 4 weeks of stage one eating what was recommended (2000 on off, 2200 on lifting days). I would prefer to be maintaining or slightly gaining as I really want to build some muscle. Should I increase my calories, and how much would you all recommend?

TIA ;-)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump! Lots of good info here!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Mavd - if you are losing and would prefer to gain, I would start by upping your cals 50 -100 a day for a few weeks and see how it goes, then just keep increasing by 50 - 100 a day until you get to where you want to be.