Getting Started

Options

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to walk into the gym with my printed workout spreadsheet, plus photocopies of the moves for STage 1, put them in front of the poor unsuspecting trainee instructor who was expecting to design a workout for me and say 'this is what I want you to show me'.

This is awesome! Some people are afraid to ask for help at a gym. Good for you!

I did this too with my free personal training session, she chose to go a whole different way. So I went in the gym with clipboard, and book as reference, and just finished Stage 1 A 1-4, and found I have been somewhat sore but not really.
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    TWO part question :)

Hi everyone - just started this yesterday - but am doing the "metabolism reset" from the EM2WL group. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get "fat" lol. Anyway, really not sure what the consensus is for Stage 1... cardio on off days or no cardio? Cardio on workout days or no cardio? If you do cardio - eat back the calories to get to your tdee (if doing metabolism reset... have 7 weeks to go before I reduce tdee - 15%). OR should I not bother with the reset and just do TDEE - 15% and eat back anything that dips below BMR? Ugh - this is so confusing, lol. So... light cardio off days, light cardio lifting days, or no cardio for stage 1?

Part 2 - I have a Pacific Fitness Zuma that was given to me... can I use it and dumbbells to do most of this? I can't do a gym right now :/

Thanks in advance!
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    TWO part question :)

Hi everyone - just started this yesterday - but am doing the "metabolism reset" from the EM2WL group. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get "fat" lol. Anyway, really not sure what the consensus is for Stage 1... cardio on off days or no cardio? Cardio on workout days or no cardio? If you do cardio - eat back the calories to get to your tdee (if doing metabolism reset... have 7 weeks to go before I reduce tdee - 15%). OR should I not bother with the reset and just do TDEE - 15% and eat back anything that dips below BMR? Ugh - this is so confusing, lol. So... light cardio off days, light cardio lifting days, or no cardio for stage 1?

Part 2 - I have a Pacific Fitness Zuma that was given to me... can I use it and dumbbells to do most of this? I can't do a gym right now :/

Thanks in advance!

O.k. this just proves I can't quote! :embarassed: Sorry about that!

If you haven't watched them yet, rewatch the videos on TDEE & resets. When doing a reset, you are trying to eat at maintenance. Just ensure that when doing the calculations, if you are doing the 3 days of lifting, you are at least setting for moderate activity. MFP doesn't calculate weight training well, and this will play with your numbers a bit. As you are just starting, you may want to eat back your calories, especially anything below BMR. Adjust as necessary, you may even need to bump up a bit. The key part about reset is to reset your metabolism, and your brain! Feel free to friend me, and I'll try to help you through it! The eating philosophy is slight different than that in the NROLW in that EM2WL doesn't change calories on the days you don't lift. Until you've finished your reset, and have been lifting for a bit, you'll find adjusting your caloric intake to the TDEE - 15% more beneficial. One step at a time! Get your macros down, as you'll need it for this program. These workouts were designed to have rest days in between for the purpose of muscle building. You can do cardio in between, but you'll want to keep it light. I hope I've not confused you further!

As for part 2 of you question, I will be using free weights. The book has alternatives to those items that you may or may not have such as the seated rows and the lat pulldowns. HTH, and sorry for the double quote LOL:smile:
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FruityGoddess
    FruityGoddess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    so glad I read through this bc I thought I was the only one confused. Now it all makes sense!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ok I bought the book, purchased some free weights (100lbs, one bar bell, two dumbells) and an exercise ball. Tomorrow is my day one! I am excited and glad I took the time to read through this thread. It cleared up a lot of my confusion.

I have always enjoyed free weights but have not been using heavy weights. I am a member of a gym but it is like the good ole boys club near the dumbells and bar..and forget trying to use a bench. Hence the set at home. My plan is to warm up at the gym on the elliptical (something I really enjoy) then scoot home, do a few more limbering up moves then jump into the routine. Since I am not sure on how much weight I am going to follow the advice in the book and start slow, if the weight is too light then I will will increase for the next set. If it is too heavy well then I know to cut back. I am thinking the first 2 to 3 times is just adjusting before increasing.

I know the hardest for me is going to be working on that swiss ball..I have no ab strength what so ever LOL.

I am also questioning if 100lb barbell/weights is going to be too light?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy, I quickly was able to go over 100# with squats (but I already had muscular legs). So you might be limited by that weight quickly or eventually depending on your abilities. I say, just politely ask the men to step aside if they aren't using the equipment. They'll probably be shocked into compliance, and I bet it won't take long for you to be accepted into the club!
  • CBoogie84
    CBoogie84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I bought my book yesterday and am anxiously waiting for its arrival! I've been doing weight lifting fairly regularly for a few months now, but I always feel lost, like I never have a game plan, and in the end don't feel like I have accomplished as much as I could have. I'm hoping from everything I've read about this book/program that it points me in the right direction and gets me on track to reach my goals. I'm excited to read through it and get started and then be able to understand what everyone has been talking about!
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just purchased this book on iBooks! I'm super excited to start this program, but first I READ. :bigsmile:
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I have bought the book, read it and marked the pages I will need to review at the gym.
    The exercises don't scare me. I want to start right away. However I am very very nervous about doing some of these things in the middle of the gym for everyone to stare at me. I also have never used any machines before. I wish I had someone to go with me.

I am a little worried about the diet as well. I completely broke metabolism. It is getting better, but I am unsure if I can eat at the recommended maintaince for me without gaining weight. I am at my goal weight and not looking to lose anymore.

I could use some support and friends who are also doing this program so feel free to FR me.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have bought the book, read it and marked the pages I will need to review at the gym.
    The exercises don't scare me. I want to start right away. However I am very very nervous about doing some of these things in the middle of the gym for everyone to stare at me. I also have never used any machines before. I wish I had someone to go with me.

I am a little worried about the diet as well. I completely broke metabolism. It is getting better, but I am unsure if I can eat at the recommended maintaince for me without gaining weight. I am at my goal weight and not looking to lose anymore.

I could use some support and friends who are also doing this program so feel free to FR me.

Don't be scared! Go in there and show all the boys how it's done!! :) I didn't know what to do either, but faked it. Now just go in there and do my thing. I finished the program around March of this year. Doing NROLFAbs right now.

Don't be scared of the cals. Try at maintenance and see how things go for 4 weeks. Then adjust to your goals. You can do it!
  • lynnedays
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello - I just got started this last Monday and have been soooooo sore all week. Its been both bad and great! I finished a body-for-life 12 week challenge end of October and then, on recommendations, purchased this book. After taking a week off between programs I am now starting this one. Totally into it so far...loving the workout style! Those jackknifes had my abs sore alllll week. :) If anyone doing NROLFW wants to be friends - send me a msg!!
  • georgia313
    georgia313 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the book now, and will start the program on Monday. I'm 54 and have been obese/overweight for about 15 years. I hover around 190 - and have weighed as much as 210.

I prefer working out at home. Recently moving into the city has my knees aching - subway stairs and sidewalk pavement can be killer sometimes. I have issues with the "jump around" of many workouts. There isn't anything structurally wrong with my knees - YET. I need a workout that builds, without too much stress on my knees. At a glance - this seems to fit the bill.
  • Nini152
    Nini152 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done you. I need to build up the courage to take that step into the gym, i just have a few weights at home atm. I found the gym i want to use, its where my girls do gymnastics so i can use it while they are in class. I've never ever been to the gym so im finding it really hard to just go. I know i wont know how to use anything in there. I may take my son along so he can show me if i get stuck. :frown:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I am about to start this program tomorrow.... First time going to a gym and am actually kinda scared/nervous. I had pretty severe social anxiety, as I have gotten healthier it's gotten better... I wouldn't say it's "severe" anymore, but I still do have a legit case of social anxiety... Even just thinking about going I start to feel nauseous, and then when in the actual situation my head becomes cloudy ontop of the nausea,. When I go out I usually make my kids tag along so I have the distraction, but obviously can't do that here... This is a huge leap out of my comfort zone for me, but one I must take as my progress doing at home videos has stalled for the past 5 months. It's time.

Any tips would be so much appreciated...

Also, I am a little confused on the schedule... Not really sure what I am suppose to be doing tomorrow... I keep reading it in the book, but I'm afraid the anxiety thing is preventing my concentration... I NEED to conquer this!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    No tips on getting out there sorry, I do it at home lol. But tomorrow you need to do everything listed under stage 1 workout A.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am about to start this program tomorrow.... First time going to a gym and am actually kinda scared/nervous. I had pretty severe social anxiety, as I have gotten healthier it's gotten better... I wouldn't say it's "severe" anymore, but I still do have a legit case of social anxiety... Even just thinking about going I start to feel nauseous, and then when in the actual situation my head becomes cloudy ontop of the nausea,. When I go out I usually make my kids tag along so I have the distraction, but obviously can't do that here... This is a huge leap out of my comfort zone for me, but one I must take as my progress doing at home videos has stalled for the past 5 months. It's time.

Also, I am a little confused on the schedule... Not really sure what I am suppose to be doing tomorrow... I keep reading it in the book, but I'm afraid the anxiety thing is preventing my concentration... I NEED to conquer this!

good luck tomorrow. I go to an army gym so I totally get the intimidated thing but I actually try to harness it and make myself work harder. Take it slowly in stage 1 at the beginning, don't break yourself and you WILL get stronger. but if you hurt yourself you will be out of action and won't be able to do anything - so go easy till you feel comfortable with the moves.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Can you have a trainer or employee from the gym show you around the free weight area? this might help. it helped me. After a couple of times you will feel more comfortable, until then just walk in like you own the place and ignore anyone around you. In my experience most are ignoring me. not in a mean way just in a *let's get this done* kinda way. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Can you have a trainer or employee from the gym show you around the free weight area? this might help. it helped me. After a couple of times you will feel more comfortable, until then just walk in like you own the place and ignore anyone around you. In my experience most are ignoring me. not in a mean way just in a *let's get this done* kinda way. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

I hired a trainer as well! It's made all the difference in the world. If you still need help with the actual exercise order, let me know and I'll lay it all out for you. I found that to be very confusing!
  • stork32
    Options
    I picked up this book and started reading about a week ago.

Im an ex college athlete, kind of know my way around the gym, but doing it since graduating college has been difficult.

I quit eating right, I quit working out. And here I am 50 lbs later. I want to get back to that feeling of working out everyday. I wan to be strong again.

Im looking forward to this journey and really excited to see a board for this book! :)