Getting Started

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Seriously thinking about checking out this book! thanks...I am finally almost at goal weight and getting bored with cardio...want to sculpt and be super strong now!!!!

I recommend it wholeheartedly!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Ordered the book today. Excited to take my fitness level up, get strong, and work hard for the body I want! And to find this group for support :happy:

Welcome!
  • shinyshell55
    shinyshell55 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your tips! I am literally at the start. I have read much of the book and am about to start on the actual workout process. My beginning is going to be radically different. I haven't really lifted weights in 20 years and have not done any major exercise in probably 5 years, except for just previous to breaking my ankle in February and that was literally just a couple of weeks of easy circuit training. Now, I'm in the final days of PT for the broken ankle, and I want to get going.

Any suggestions for a real beginner?
    I too am researching NRFLFW but what caught my eye about your post is that you are recovering from a broken ankle. I broke my leg/ankle in July 2011 and have spent the better part of the last year working my way back. I am in the fourth round of P90X and now exploring other forms of lifting. I love P90X and think it is an excellent program. It took me eight months to get back to some sense of normal but I am living proof that anybody can do anything if they focus and work hark. Good luck with NRFLFW.
  • mlcastle
    Options
    Wow! Glad I found this group. I'm not quite finished the book, just reading through the exercises right now. I'm excited, I used to go to the gym and enjoyed lifting weights, but that was over 10 years ago and haven't been to the gym in a while. I work out at home right now and have made great progress, but I'd like to do some thing different and the program in NROL4W sounds perfect.

I've already decided that I'm going to continue on with the calorie plan I've been following except that I'll be working on bumping up my protein intake and adding a few more calories (at 1500, willing to go up to 1700-1900 as per recommended in the book). If I can get 20-25 grams of protein per each meal (5) that should do the trick, eh. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this?

My other concern is that when I go back to the gym, how much time should I spend getting re-acquainted with the equipment, the layout of the gym, and accessing the equipment (sharing with other users). Anyone have any advice about that or what their experience was when they went back to the gym after a hiatus?
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Wow! Glad I found this group. I'm not quite finished the book, just reading through the exercises right now. I'm excited, I used to go to the gym and enjoyed lifting weights, but that was over 10 years ago and haven't been to the gym in a while. I work out at home right now and have made great progress, but I'd like to do some thing different and the program in NROL4W sounds perfect.

I've already decided that I'm going to continue on with the calorie plan I've been following except that I'll be working on bumping up my protein intake and adding a few more calories (at 1500, willing to go up to 1700-1900 as per recommended in the book). If I can get 20-25 grams of protein per each meal (5) that should do the trick, eh. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this?

My other concern is that when I go back to the gym, how much time should I spend getting re-acquainted with the equipment, the layout of the gym, and accessing the equipment (sharing with other users). Anyone have any advice about that or what their experience was when they went back to the gym after a hiatus?

This is a nice, supportive group!

You could try to get protein with every meal, or you could just have protein-intensive meals (can of tuna, eggs, etc) I tend to spread things out, but really rely on mfp to keep me on track, so late in the day, I know whether i need to catch up.

I would not nec worry about reacquaintace time...its like riding a bike!!
  • JessFromEngland
    JessFromEngland Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have literally just purchased the book online and can't wait to read it and start!!
    The stories and results I have spent most of the day reading about seem fantastic and as I have almost reached my goal weight (.6kg to go), toning up is my next step!
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    This group looks really helpful! I have just ordered the book. Starting to worry abit now because noticed that some people are saying the routine schedules are abit confusing. Cant wait to get stuck in though!
  • blacknivory
    blacknivory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I didn't find it too confusing but I was well prepared. While you're waiting for the book, go back and find some old posts where members set it out step by step and provide links to workout sheets. I cut and pasted this info into a document and collected excel files so I was all organised when it was time to start.
    Before I go to the gym I read through the whole program so I know exactly what I will doing when I get there. I'm very new and I've only done a couple of weeks. All good so far.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Thankyou for the info i will definatley have a look at other peoples workout schedules. I will probably understand it abit more once i have actually read the book. Hope so anyway ha :tongue:
  • blacknivory
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I also take the book with me when I go to the gym. It's amazing that no matter how much I read through the program there is still some little detail that I overlook and then the question comes to me just as I'm about to do the exercise - e.g. whether to alternate legs on the step ups.
  • xSveltex
    xSveltex Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow! I'm bringing a blank spreadsheet, pen, heart rate monitor, and kindle fire (digital book). I'm super excited after reading these posts.

I started before and only made it through workout A1. I couldn't do the pushups and some guy watched me look insane before doing a bunch of one-handed pushups right after me. It was very embarrassing. After Insanity pushups are the very least of my concerns now. I'm definitely in it to win it.
  • audballsays
    audballsays Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about buying this book. Can I use this program with a bowflex?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's made for heavy lifting with free weights. I don't think a bowflex would give you the same benefits and certainly some of these lifts would not work at all with the bow flex - lunges, squats, etc.

ETA: For those of you who are confused by the workout schedule, register at werkit.com. Once you do, you will be able to download logs for each stage. They are less confusing (at least for me) since they lay out the exercise in order and show which are supersets.
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just took my before pictures and measurements and hope to get started today.

Do most people start out squatting the bar? 45lbs sounds like a lot to me.. that's over a third of my bodyweight haha. I'll give it a go I guess.. or maybe I should start out with hand weights or something?
  • lcuconley
    Options

Do most people start out squatting the bar? 45lbs sounds like a lot to me.. that's over a third of my bodyweight haha. I'll give it a go I guess.. or maybe I should start out with hand weights or something?

The bar is a good place to start for some people, but you do not have to start there...try it and see. If its too heavy, you can use dumbbells.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Starting today so excited!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Starting today so excited!

awesome! we are here for you when you need us!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options

The bar is a good place to start for some people, but you do not have to start there...try it and see. If its too heavy, you can use dumbbells.

Thanks! After I read your post I went to my basement and picked up my powerblock weights weighted up to 50lbs and I knew instantly it would be too heavy for me. I'm so scrawny and weak haha. It'll be my goal to work towards squatting the bar! I did goblet squats with 20lbs instead. Other than forgetting to do the B/C workouts in the right order I think I did well! I think with all the rest periods it didn't feel like much of a workout, mental hurdle to get over I think, but my clutch leg was definitely wobbly when I was driving home. If this is as effective for me as it has been for other people I've seen online this is going to be golden because I actually didn't (entirely) hate it! :D
  • ASecretBobby
    ASecretBobby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is really inspiring am off to get the book
  • blacknivory
    Options
    [/quote]

I started body weight and a few weeks in still only on 8kg dumbells. I wasn't very strong obviously but building up slowly. I've also been reading some interesting things about the squat in Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
    Starting with the lighter weights lets me concentrate and practice good form and I don't think I could do much higher without killing myself anyway.