Getting Started

Options

Replies

• lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was doing a bit of reading about shoes and lifting and I have been wearing my running shoes and some say that can cause joint and knee pain...well I have the knee pain and was wearing my running shoes. So starting next week I am back to day one with no shoes, and a little lighter load to start off with

yeah me
  • hoal0604
    Options
    Hi!! I just ordered the book on my Nook and I'm starting it tonight. I'm just getting back into working out, and trying to lose weight. We have a fitness center at work, and they monitor our health. I gained 10 lbs in the past year, and I'm not happy about it. I do sit for my job everyday, attached to a computer, so I'm trying to become more active. I'm 5'3, and i weigh 136 or so. I'd like to drop some weight, and get more healthy and lean.

Wish me luck.. Here I go!
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was doing a bit of reading about shoes and lifting and I have been wearing my running shoes and some say that can cause joint and knee pain...well I have the knee pain and was wearing my running shoes. So starting next week I am back to day one with no shoes, and a little lighter load to start off with

yeah me

You should wear special shoes for lifting?! What kind? No way am I going barefoot at the gym.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

yeah me

You should wear special shoes for lifting?! What kind? No way am I going barefoot at the gym.

according to my trainer, flat and hard soled is best. Squishy is not so good because you need balance which isn't so great with squishy, and the power goes thru your feet with squishy instead of up thru your body. An inexpensive choice is converse. picked up a pair for 25 I think and like how they feel. My balance really stinks, my ankles are wobbly and sort of achy much of the time, so I also wear support braces. I still don't do well on any or the 1pt lifts.
  • lmcgrad
    Options
    I just came across a before and after from someone who used this book and she looks amazing! I am at a VERY small private college with less than 1000 students and so we dont ahve big gyms. luckily though the two small ones we have have some weights so i can try to get to working when i get back from christmas! Has this worked for anyone?
  • nickilynn109
    nickilynn109 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just came across a before and after from someone who used this book and she looks amazing! I am at a VERY small private college with less than 1000 students and so we dont ahve big gyms. luckily though the two small ones we have have some weights so i can try to get to working when i get back from christmas! Has this worked for anyone?

I work at a small community college and use the very small weights area of the gym. It's worked fine for me so far, Sometimes I have to get a little creative because there isn't much space there. For example, for the step ups I take the step and weights into the stretching/yoga area because there's no space between the benches. I'll work up to stepping up on to the bench eventually. We have limited weights, but I haven't run into anything I don't have the equipment for or can't modify a little.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this would help anyone but it is helping me. I just started Stage 1 this week (loving it so far) and I was having trouble remembering proper form for each exercise. So, I created a spreadsheet (really i just added to someone else's). It has the workouts on one side and I took sample pics of all of the workouts (Stage 1 Workout A & B) with descriptions and printed them on the other side.

I can send anyone the spreadsheet if you would like it. It has helped me when I don't remember proper form or what the exercise i just look on the back of my workout log and it's all there.

Could you email it to me too please?! Thank You!

Note: Email address deleted by Allabtlm for the privacy of the user. If this hasn't been emailed please take care of communicating email addresses this through PM's.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I am using the workout log that is in the book, I feel it is sufficient enough with sets reps and weight per set logging. I am however still feeling a bit confused on the actual flow of the workout. for workout A do I do workouts 1 and 2 together on the same day? also the special workouts is that for the last of every routine??
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wish to start this tomorrow but it's still a little confusing. I guess I'll just go there and do!
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This may be a weird way of doing the calories per day...but I just am terrifed to go WAY over what I need in terms of calories.

I've been "maintaining" my weight at 130 lbs eating 1,500 calories. Would it be too low to do 1,500 calories on non-lifting days and 1,800 calories on lifting days? This way, it's 300 extra calories on those days?

I've done I think every calorie calculator out there lol and it just throws me off putting it into MFP and not knowing when to eat those cals back, or not, etc.

The book calculated 1,900 for non-lifting days and 2,166 for lifting days....I sometimes have a hard enough time hitting 1,500 calories so I don't know how I'd make it that high. And on, lifting days would the 2,166 calories include the 200cals burned during lifting (aka I don't eat them back)?

Just when I feel like I understand what I'm doing, I second guess myself, freak out and start over with the calculations! (i just started the lifting 2 days ago, p.s.)

FYI: my stats are 130 lbs, 23 years old, 5'2 inches, BM1 24...looking to build muscle/lose fat.
  • 26Sam26
    Options
    Hi - just ordered the book today and really excited about getting started too!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Today will be my first day! I'm pretty excited to see what this brings. I've always done some weight training but not very seriously.
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This may be a weird way of doing the calories per day...but I just am terrifed to go WAY over what I need in terms of calories.

I've been "maintaining" my weight at 130 lbs eating 1,500 calories. Would it be too low to do 1,500 calories on non-lifting days and 1,800 calories on lifting days? This way, it's 300 extra calories on those days?

I've done I think every calorie calculator out there lol and it just throws me off putting it into MFP and not knowing when to eat those cals back, or not, etc.

The book calculated 1,900 for non-lifting days and 2,166 for lifting days....I sometimes have a hard enough time hitting 1,500 calories so I don't know how I'd make it that high. And on, lifting days would the 2,166 calories include the 200cals burned during lifting (aka I don't eat them back)?

Just when I feel like I understand what I'm doing, I second guess myself, freak out and start over with the calculations! (i just started the lifting 2 days ago, p.s.)

FYI: my stats are 130 lbs, 23 years old, 5'2 inches, BM1 24...looking to build muscle/lose fat.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the calories to start with. What you've suggested for your workout and non-workout days sounds fine. If you feel hungry or find that you're short of energy on a workout you can up the calories as and when. It's very different for everyone. I don't follow the diet in the book and have maintained at 132 lbs into Stage 3 (I worked out my calories using the roadmap that I found here on MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 I don't eat back exercise calories. See how you go. If you start to lose or gain you can adjust as and when, but the important thing is to up your protein if you want to build muscle. Hope you enjoy NROL4W as much as I do!
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I really want to start NROL4W but I'm afraid to stop doing cardio (which I just re-started) because I know I need to loose a few pounds along with toning... any advice for a scared newbie??? :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I really want to start NROL4W but I'm afraid to stop doing cardio (which I just re-started) because I know I need to loose a few pounds along with toning... any advice for a scared newbie??? :)

I just started NROL4W, but I was doing another lifting program for about the last 6 weeks. I didn't do any cardio during that time and I lost some serious inches. I hate cardio so this plan made me really happy! My weight stayed the same, which was good for me because it meant I was replacing fat with muscle. These aren't the best pics, but they are my progress from Nov 22-Jan 7. (*I did some major off-plan eating over the holidays!)
    Nov-JanProgress_zpsc233e93f.jpg
  • lindseyrh
    Options
    Just ordered the book today! I'm excited!!!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Seriously thinking about checking out this book! thanks...I am finally almost at goal weight and getting bored with cardio...want to sculpt and be super strong now!!!!
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ordered the book today. Excited to take my fitness level up, get strong, and work hard for the body I want! And to find this group for support :happy: