What is your most controversial opinion?

Options

Replies

• killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My issue with the vax argument is Ms. McCarthy is not the sole individual following this there is an entire sub community of people that support this and she wasn't the first one. It seems the only people that are interested in looking into this are those affected. I dont have the the time to go scratch up some article with evidence....all Im stating is its possible that all of these kids affected share some type of gene that when exposed to a vaccine or a combination of vaccines at the right time in there development something goes wrong. You cant disprove that's incorrect. That's called a scientific theory They have lots of data that correlates enough of a concern that certain scientific organizations are looking at it. Some theories are taken as fact and they haven't even been proven.
    Here's the thing-- A study in 1998 linked autism to the MMR vaccine. However, in subsequent years the research was considered to be invalidid, and the article was retracted.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-02/health/lancet.retraction.autism_1_andrew-wakefield-mmr-vaccine-and-autism-general-medical-council?_s=PM:HEALTH

However, multiple studies since have found no noticeable link:

A Population-Based Study of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccination and Autism http://www.safeminds.org/research/library/20021107.pdf

Autism and measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine: no epidemiological evidence for a causal association
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673699012398

New research demolishes link between MMR vaccine and autism
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1116011/

Association of Autistic Spectrum Disorder and the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccine: A Systematic Review of Current Epidemiological Evidence
    The current literature does not suggest an association between ASD and the MMR vaccine; however, limited epidemiological evidence exists to rule out a link between a rare variant form of ASD and the MMR vaccine. Given the real risks of not vaccinating and that the risks and existence of variant ASD remain theoretical, current policies should continue to advocate the use of the MMR vaccine.
    http://www.fourteenstudies.org/pdf/MMR_8.pdf

Vaccines and Autism: Evidence Does Not Support a Causal Association
    A suggested association between certain childhood vaccines and autism has been one of the most contentious vaccine safety controversies in recent years. Despite compelling scientific evidence against a causal association, many parents and parent advocacy groups continue to suspect that vaccines, particularly measles–mumps–rubella (MMR) vaccine and thimerosal-containing vaccines (TCVs), can cause autism.
    http://www.miottawa.org/healthcomm/health/pdf/2007_Nature_DeStefano_Vaccines_and_Autism.pdf

Sorry for all the links. I apologize if my post is too long. But in short, there has been more evidence that they (autism and vaccines) are NOT linked than evidence that they ARE linked. I'm not saying it's impossible that a link exists... of course it's possible, but current evidence suggests it is highly unlikely.

Scientists continue to look fo a link to vaccines because of the high publicity of this theory, which in my opinon results in time and energy being pulled away from researching other possible causes and links that may actually hold some weight. They keep looking at the same stuff-- autism and vaccines-- rather than coming up with more novel hypotheses of the origins of autism.

...How does the saying go about doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results?
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Here's a good controversial POV.

I believe that if you own/manage/operat/run a business and-or you employ people, and you employ Illegal Immigrants, you are guilty of high treason. You are a traitor to your contry and to your fellow americans.

Just penalties?

1) your business/household/assets etc. are seized and liquidated and the proceeds used to deport your illegal employees, and reimburse the treasury for the costs incurred by your illegal behavior. You don't get to pass on your ill gotten gains to your useless family.

2) 10 years in real prison, preferably picking beans on a state farm in Louisiana. In pink pajamas.

A year after this policy is initiated, after a couple hundred "Job Creators" are in the clink, nobody without a birth certificate/driver's license/passport will be able to get a job pumping gas, and you'll have to open the borders to let all the illegals go home. And that would solve the problem.
    But then how can be blame the "illegals" for stealing OUR jobs?
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Probably my MOST controversial view: I think the National Guard should be on our boarders and shoot anyone coming over in any way other than a boarder crossing. The department of homeland security warned US law enforcement that Al Qaeda and other terrorists plan to sneak into the U.S. through Mexico, though I think we have already seen this happening. Besides terrorists, have you seen images of the trails used to sneak people in? Rape trees? The garbage and murdered people human smugglers left behind?

trash2.jpg

Or we could fix things like NAFTA, instead of murdering a bunch of people. *facepalm*
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    <<SNIP>>And that would solve the problem.
    But then how can be blame the "illegals" for stealing OUR jobs?
    (start sarcasm)
    Dude, have you ever met an illegal mexican immigrant fresh from the border? 5'4", 130 pounds, malnourished & dehydrated, 3rd grade education, No habla engles, wearing one flip-flop. If this cat can take your job, Illegal immigrants are the very least of your problems.
    (end sarcasm :happy: )
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    A year after this policy is initiated, after a couple hundred "Job Creators" are in the clink, nobody without a birth certificate/driver's license/passport will be able to get a job pumping gas, and you'll have to open the borders to let all the illegals go home. And that would solve the problem.

I'm sorry, but what problem would this solve?
  • CasperO
    Options
    Illegal immigrants come for jobs. This would stop the hiring, stop the jobs, and they'd quit coming and go home. Contrary to what you hear on the radio,,, most of them are not on welfare - they're working in the fields.

On the downside, a salad will cost $12.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    My issue with the vax argument is Ms. McCarthy is not the sole individual following this there is an entire sub community of people that support this and she wasn't the first one. It seems the only people that are interested in looking into this are those affected. I dont have the the time to go scratch up some article with evidence....all Im stating is its possible that all of these kids affected share some type of gene that when exposed to a vaccine or a combination of vaccines at the right time in there development something goes wrong. You cant disprove that's incorrect. That's called a scientific theory They have lots of data that correlates enough of a concern that certain scientific organizations are looking at it. Some theories are taken as fact and they haven't even been proven.
    Here's the thing-- A study in 1998 linked autism to the MMR vaccine. However, in subsequent years the research was considered to be invalidid, and the article was retracted.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-02/health/lancet.retraction.autism_1_andrew-wakefield-mmr-vaccine-and-autism-general-medical-council?_s=PM:HEALTH

However, multiple studies since have found no noticeable link:

A Population-Based Study of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccination and Autism http://www.safeminds.org/research/library/20021107.pdf

Autism and measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine: no epidemiological evidence for a causal association
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673699012398

New research demolishes link between MMR vaccine and autism
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1116011/

Association of Autistic Spectrum Disorder and the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Vaccine: A Systematic Review of Current Epidemiological Evidence
    The current literature does not suggest an association between ASD and the MMR vaccine; however, limited epidemiological evidence exists to rule out a link between a rare variant form of ASD and the MMR vaccine. Given the real risks of not vaccinating and that the risks and existence of variant ASD remain theoretical, current policies should continue to advocate the use of the MMR vaccine.
    http://www.fourteenstudies.org/pdf/MMR_8.pdf

Vaccines and Autism: Evidence Does Not Support a Causal Association
    A suggested association between certain childhood vaccines and autism has been one of the most contentious vaccine safety controversies in recent years. Despite compelling scientific evidence against a causal association, many parents and parent advocacy groups continue to suspect that vaccines, particularly measles–mumps–rubella (MMR) vaccine and thimerosal-containing vaccines (TCVs), can cause autism.
    http://www.miottawa.org/healthcomm/health/pdf/2007_Nature_DeStefano_Vaccines_and_Autism.pdf

Sorry for all the links. I apologize if my post is too long. But in short, there has been more evidence that they (autism and vaccines) are NOT linked than evidence that they ARE linked. I'm not saying it's impossible that a link exists... of course it's possible, but current evidence suggests it is highly unlikely.

Scientists continue to look fo a link to vaccines because of the high publicity of this theory, which in my opinon results in time and energy being pulled away from researching other possible causes and links that may actually hold some weight. They keep looking at the same stuff-- autism and vaccines-- rather than coming up with more novel hypotheses of the origins of autism.

...How does the saying go about doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results?

Can you then explain this Japanese study that showed a rise and fall of autism cases with a similar ratio of the increased numbers based on the increase and decrease of the numbers of kids getting vaccinated? Just a coincidence?
    http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/japvaxautism/
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    Can you then explain this Japanese study that showed a rise and fall of autism cases with a similar ratio of the increased numbers based on the increase and decrease of the numbers of kids getting vaccinated? Just a coincidence?
    Certainly. I said there is MORE evidence that shows no link, than there is evidence which shows a link. (Furthermore, a correlation does not equal a causation, but that's a whole other story.)

Also, you aren't citing an actual journal. You're citing a blog with an obvious bias. What do you know about the researchers who conducted this study? How about their methods? What were the limitations to their study?

It's best to go as close to the source as possible for scientific information-- which would be the actual, peer-reviewed article. Anybody can quote an article and leave out what they feel like leaving out.

But if you prefer getting secondary information, here are some popular (rather than scholarly) articles from PBS, WebMD, and the New York Times that also report on studies that showed no link between autism and vaccines:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/health-science-technology/the-vaccine-war/report-no-link-between-vaccines-and-autism/
    The National Academy of Sciences released a report yesterday concluding that “few health problems are caused by or clearly associated with vaccines.” The findings, reached by a committee of experts at the Institute of Medicine, concluded that there are 14 adverse reactions to vaccines that are scientifically sound but rare, and include “seizures, inflammation of the brain, and fainting.”

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20100913/cdc-study-shows-no-vaccine-autism-link
    Exposure to thimerosal-containing vaccines in infancy or in the womb is not associated with an increased risk for developing autism, according to a new study from the CDC. Children in the study who developed autism spectrum disorder (ASD) actually had less exposure to vaccines with the mercury-containing preservative than children who developed normally. The study is the latest of almost 20 studies to find no link between childhood vaccinations and autism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/health/26vaccine.html
    Yet another panel of scientists has found no evidence that a popular vaccine causes autism. But despite the scientists’ best efforts, their report is unlikely to have any impact on the frustrating debate about the safety of these crucial medicines. “The M.M.R. vaccine doesn’t cause autism, and the evidence is overwhelming that it doesn’t,” Dr. Ellen Wright Clayton, the chairwoman of the panel, assembled by the Institute of Medicine, said in an interview.
  • mikajoanow
    Options
    Here's a good controversial POV.

I believe that if you own/manage/operat/run a business and-or you employ people, and you employ Illegal Immigrants, you are guilty of high treason. You are a traitor to your contry and to your fellow americans.

Just penalties?

1) your business/household/assets etc. are seized and liquidated and the proceeds used to deport your illegal employees, and reimburse the treasury for the costs incurred by your illegal behavior. You don't get to pass on your ill gotten gains to your useless family.

2) 10 years in real prison, preferably picking beans on a state farm in Louisiana. In pink pajamas.

Do you know how many people actually hire illegal immigrants unknowingly? There is a reason that illegal immigrants bolster social security to the tune of 7 billion a year. Its because they have very good false paper work. I know, I have seen it, many many times.
  • mikajoanow
    Options
    lol I need to stop looking at this thread. Its a cluster cluck of so many different conversations lol
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    lol I need to stop looking at this thread. Its a cluster cluck of so many different conversations lol

I was thinking the same thing, I wish there was a way to split the thread! Theres some interesting debates going on, but they're all overlapping :(
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Illegal immigrants come for jobs. This would stop the hiring, stop the jobs, and they'd quit coming and go home. Contrary to what you hear on the radio,,, most of them are not on welfare - they're working in the fields.

On the upside, it would open a lot of jobs for the 10% that don't have them.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This entire country was started by stealing land from people who were already here. Yet people complain about illegal immigration? It seems very stupid, to me. However, I don't think that illegal immigrants should have better care and rights than legal citizens should have--I think EVERYONE should have the SAME EXACT RIGHTS. Unless of course you're a criminal or something.

I guess I'm a big weirdo and I think that everyone should be able to go anywhere they want to, when they please, and establish roots in any country they please. :tongue: I feel all these borders restrict us. But, I also see why they're in place, since people cannot, never have, and probably never will "get along."

I feel that if you have children in your home, and you smoke inside your home, it should be considered child abuse.

I feel that certain items should not be allowed to be purchased using welfare/food stamps/whatever. I love seeing signs at the produce stands and farmers markets "Now accepting EBT!" And I'm not being sarcastic--I truly honestly like that! I do NOT like it that when I worked at Starbucks, people were purchasing $5+ frappuccinos and lattes with their EBT card. :explode: I'll never forget this one girl I rang up...the Starbucks I was at was inside a Super Target, so we could ring a lot of stuff up that was sold at Target. This girl brings up a loaf of bread, some milk, some veggies, and some oreos. The oreos certainly aren't a necessity, but that didn't bother me. What bothered me is that she ordered TWO...TWO Starbucks drinks with it! For a while, that stuff wasn't allowed...I remember in the years I worked there, people would try to use EBT cards and it wouldn't work. We would even tell them it wouldn't work as soon as they tried to use the card/handed the card to us, but if they insisted we try, then we'd try, and they couldn't get their stuff. Then I took a short leave of absence for a couple of months last year for some school-related stuff, and I came back, and I told that girl "Your EBT card will cover the cost of the food items, but it won't cover the drinks." She got really crappy with me and basically said "No, you're wrong! It works for that now!" So I obliged her and tried it, and mentally prepared myself for the usual speech--"EBT doesn't cover Starbucks, it's considered a luxury item...blah blah.." and then to my surprise, it worked! It paid for her TWO frappuccinos! :mad: She gave me this smug look and said "Guess you shouldn't tell me what I can and can't buy!" I felt like saying "I think I should, since me working here and paying taxes just allowed you to buy TWO frappuccinos, because you CLEARLY will die without them!" :grumble: And she wasn't the only one...I remember quite a few people doing that. I'm all for being able to buy food, produce, baby stuff...but jeez...STARBUCKS COFFEE?! I do remember someone trying to buy XBox games with their EBT card, too. And they seemed REALLY shocked that it wouldn't work. :laugh:

I feel that a lot of schools go overboard on their dress-code policies. I live in Florida...and when you're walking around outside to get to the other buildings, or you're in phys. ed. class, or the worst--when the A/C is BROKEN! :noway: then students should be allowed to wear tank-tops. I'm not saying they should be allowed to wear pasties and g-strings, but tank-tops aren't hurting anyone.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. :laugh:
  • mikajoanow
    Options

Tell that to the farmers in Alabama and see what kind of response you get.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    This entire country was started by stealing land from people who were already here. Yet people complain about illegal immigration? It seems very stupid, to me. However, I don't think that illegal immigrants should have better care and rights than legal citizens should have--I think EVERYONE should have the SAME EXACT RIGHTS. Unless of course you're a criminal or something.

I guess I'm a big weirdo and I think that everyone should be able to go anywhere they want to, when they please, and establish roots in any country they please. :tongue: I feel all these borders restrict us. But, I also see why they're in place, since people cannot, never have, and probably never will "get along."

Me too!! I agree with all of that. I'm kind of a hippie though. lol!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Certainly. I said there is MORE evidence that shows no link, than there is evidence which shows a link. (Furthermore, a correlation does not equal a causation, but that's a whole other story.)

Also, you aren't citing an actual journal. You're citing a blog with an obvious bias. What do you know about the researchers who conducted this study? How about their methods? What were the limitations to their study?

It's best to go as close to the source as possible for scientific information-- which would be the actual, peer-reviewed article. Anybody can quote an article and leave out what they feel like leaving out.

But if you prefer getting secondary information, here are some popular (rather than scholarly) articles from PBS, WebMD, and the New York Times that also report on studies that showed no link between autism and vaccines:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/health-science-technology/the-vaccine-war/report-no-link-between-vaccines-and-autism/
    The National Academy of Sciences released a report yesterday concluding that “few health problems are caused by or clearly associated with vaccines.” The findings, reached by a committee of experts at the Institute of Medicine, concluded that there are 14 adverse reactions to vaccines that are scientifically sound but rare, and include “seizures, inflammation of the brain, and fainting.”

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20100913/cdc-study-shows-no-vaccine-autism-link
    Exposure to thimerosal-containing vaccines in infancy or in the womb is not associated with an increased risk for developing autism, according to a new study from the CDC. Children in the study who developed autism spectrum disorder (ASD) actually had less exposure to vaccines with the mercury-containing preservative than children who developed normally. The study is the latest of almost 20 studies to find no link between childhood vaccinations and autism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/health/26vaccine.html
    Yet another panel of scientists has found no evidence that a popular vaccine causes autism. But despite the scientists’ best efforts, their report is unlikely to have any impact on the frustrating debate about the safety of these crucial medicines. “The M.M.R. vaccine doesn’t cause autism, and the evidence is overwhelming that it doesn’t,” Dr. Ellen Wright Clayton, the chairwoman of the panel, assembled by the Institute of Medicine, said in an interview.

Actually no I didn't read the blog I was referencing the study found within the blog which incidently I'm still not sure I found the complete source but this isn't a blog. Here is the study...Its not the blog that show the issue its the study.

http://www.bmj.com/content/322/7284/460.full
    Mumps, measles, and rubella vaccine and the incidence of autism recorded by general practitioners: a time trend analysis
    BMJ 2001; 322 doi: 10.1136/bmj.322.7284.460 (Published 24 February 2001)
    Cite this as: BMJ 2001;322:

I agree you did say there is MORE evidence Good thing They didn't throw out the whole curvature of the earth thing when everyone else said there was more evidence to prove it was flat. :)

This isn't a difficult study to understand in fact its the simplicity of it that gives it so much weight. Time trends: Autism cases increased and decreased at the same rate vaccinations increased and decreased. Regardless of any other study that disproves its that's not coincidental evidence. Correlations Hint at causation
  • mikajoanow
    Options

I feel that if you have children in your home, and you smoke inside your home, it should be considered child abuse.

I feel that certain items should not be allowed to be purchased using welfare/food stamps/whatever. I love seeing signs at the produce stands and farmers markets "Now accepting EBT!" And I'm not being sarcastic--I truly honestly like that! I do NOT like it that when I worked at Starbucks, people were purchasing $5+ frappuccinos and lattes with their EBT card. :explode: I'll never forget this one girl I rang up...the Starbucks I was at was inside a Super Target, so we could ring a lot of stuff up that was sold at Target. This girl brings up a loaf of bread, some milk, some veggies, and some oreos. The oreos certainly aren't a necessity, but that didn't bother me. What bothered me is that she ordered TWO...TWO Starbucks drinks with it! For a while, that stuff wasn't allowed...I remember in the years I worked there, people would try to use EBT cards and it wouldn't work. We would even tell them it wouldn't work as soon as they tried to use the card/handed the card to us, but if they insisted we try, then we'd try, and they couldn't get their stuff. Then I took a short leave of absence for a couple of months last year for some school-related stuff, and I came back, and I told that girl "Your EBT card will cover the cost of the food items, but it won't cover the drinks." She got really crappy with me and basically said "No, you're wrong! It works for that now!" So I obliged her and tried it, and mentally prepared myself for the usual speech--"EBT doesn't cover Starbucks, it's considered a luxury item...blah blah.." and then to my surprise, it worked! It paid for her TWO frappuccinos! :mad: She gave me this smug look and said "Guess you shouldn't tell me what I can and can't buy!" I felt like saying "I think I should, since me working here and paying taxes just allowed you to buy TWO frappuccinos, because you CLEARLY will die without them!" :grumble: And she wasn't the only one...I remember quite a few people doing that. I'm all for being able to buy food, produce, baby stuff...but jeez...STARBUCKS COFFEE?! I do remember someone trying to buy XBox games with their EBT card, too. And they seemed REALLY shocked that it wouldn't work. :laugh:

I feel that a lot of schools go overboard on their dress-code policies. I live in Florida...and when you're walking around outside to get to the other buildings, or you're in phys. ed. class, or the worst--when the A/C is BROKEN! :noway: then students should be allowed to wear tank-tops. I'm not saying they should be allowed to wear pasties and g-strings, but tank-tops aren't hurting anyone.

That coffee thing really sounds annoying lol

I am very lefty when it comes to people eating. But I do get mad at abuse also. There is a Costco that I like to go to that has a lot of immigrants (from Europe) and more than a few times I have been stuck behind them while they buy cases of pop and multiple huge boxes of cookies on their EBT cards.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Me too!! I agree with all of that. I'm kind of a hippie though. lol!!

The older I get, the more of a laid-back hippie I'm becoming! :laugh: You live close to me, btw! Maybe there's something in the water. :tongue:
  • CasperO
    Options

Tell that to the farmers in Alabama and see what kind of response you get.
    Ya', I heard about that. At one farm 3 folks showed up. The first one left when he found out he wasn't going to be driving a tractor, neither of the other 2 made it to lunchtime. I've done field work, potatoes, hay. It's hot hard miserable work and most folks won't do it unless the alternative is starvation. The immigrants ain't out there for the free chiggers y'know.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

That coffee thing really sounds annoying lol

I am very lefty when it comes to people eating. But I do get mad at abuse also. There is a Costco that I like to go to that has a lot of immigrants (from Europe) and more than a few times I have been stuck behind them while they buy cases of pop and multiple huge boxes of cookies on their EBT cards.

I don't think EBT should be allowed for anything bought in a restaurant-type establishment. No fast food, no Starbucks, etc. If you are poor enough to qualify for food stamps (which you have to be pretty low income), then you shouldn't be able to afford to purchase starbucks instead of real food.