What is your most controversial opinion?

Options

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Probably not as controversial but I think in that illegal immigrants that come to work/live here should get an opportunity to become citizens or residents but they have to pay 10%-15% more taxes than natural citizens. Probably the worse idea ever but we have more than 1 million illegal immigrants using government assistance without giving anything back and as our economy is going we could really use the money from 1 million people, if not many more.
    It's not a perfect plan by any means whatsoever.
    Good idea in theory except that most of them don't pay any income taxes at all. An extre 15% of 0 is still 0.

That's the whole idea though, the incentive of giving them citizenship would obligate them to follow our laws and make them pay taxes because as a U.S. citizen they are easier to track. Illegal immigrants work and live here and do so as invisible citizens because they don't have identification or documents recognized by the law. As residents and u.s. citizens, it would be easier for the IRS to track them down.

Also, I think making immigrants of any nationality pay 10-15% extra in taxes to live here might turn away a lot of people looking to immigrate to the U.S. It would be more expensive for them.
    They still wouldn't make enough in the vast majority of cases to actually pay income taxes. A family of 4 doesn't pay taxes unless they make at least around $35,000. (I'd have to check the exact numbers and my coffee hasn't kicked into my brain so it may even be closer to $40,000) and that's if they don't itemize or have any daycare expenses.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that today, my most controversial opinion is that the word "Holiday" is not a bad word.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that today, my most controversial opinion is that the word "Holiday" is not a bad word.

Some people think that everyone who says "Happy Holidays" is out to sabotage Christmas. In reality, it just means there are more winter holidays than Christmas. :tongue: I'd be pretty arrogant to assume that every single person I come across celebrates Christmas.
  • mikajoanow
    Options

Some people think that everyone who says "Happy Holidays" is out to sabotage Christmas. In reality, it just means there are more winter holidays than Christmas. :tongue: I'd be pretty arrogant to assume that every single person I come across celebrates Christmas.

Amen! :P
  • mikajoanow
    Options
    Probably not as controversial but I think in that illegal immigrants that come to work/live here should get an opportunity to become citizens or residents but they have to pay 10%-15% more taxes than natural citizens. Probably the worse idea ever but we have more than 1 million illegal immigrants using government assistance without giving anything back and as our economy is going we could really use the money from 1 million people, if not many more.
    Good idea in theory except that most of them don't pay any income taxes at all. An extre 15% of 0 is still 0.

That's the whole idea though, the incentive of giving them citizenship would obligate them to follow our laws and make them pay taxes because as a U.S. citizen they are easier to track. Illegal immigrants work and live here and do so as invisible citizens because they don't have identification or documents recognized by the law. As residents and u.s. citizens, it would be easier for the IRS to track them down.

Also, I think making immigrants of any nationality pay 10-15% extra in taxes to live here might turn away a lot of people looking to immigrate to the U.S. It would be more expensive for them.
    They still wouldn't make enough in the vast majority of cases to actually pay income taxes. A family of 4 doesn't pay taxes unless they make at least around $35,000. (I'd have to check the exact numbers and my coffee hasn't kicked into my brain so it may even be closer to $40,000) and that's if they don't itemize or have any daycare expenses.

But a typical working family of four that makes35,000 do pay other types of taxes.

Not that I would be okay with adding 10-15% to a legal citizens tab above what is typical for others in their same financial situation.

Ideally we would allow people to work in our country at a higher tax rate as a guest to our country. Kind of like a legal guest and tax them accordingly. But keep the road to citizenship the same that it has always been with the exception of birthright citizenship. As far as I know there are no European countries that offer birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens, I am not sure why its so important that we do it here.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    EH....after reading this..none of these are that controversial...and i think i'd offend folks with my most controversial so i will keep them to myself.

but.

one of my controversial opinions is that when women accuses a man of rape, and he really didn't rape her, as in she put out on the first night, regrets it in the morning, so she cries rape, she should have to serve the sentence he would have had to serve if he were guilty. i think these false accusations are the reason why legitimate rape victims don't get taken seriously.
  • Bahet
    Options

But a typical working family of four that makes35,000 do pay other types of taxes.

Not that I would be okay with adding 10-15% to a legal citizens tab above what is typical for others in their same financial situation.

Ideally we would allow people to work in our country at a higher tax rate as a guest to our country. Kind of like a legal guest and tax them accordingly. But keep the road to citizenship the same that it has always been with the exception of birthright citizenship. As far as I know there are no European countries that offer birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens, I am not sure why its so important that we do it here.
    They pay sales tax. But based on the previous person's post they were talking solely about income tax. They don't typically pay that.
  • Bahet
    Options
    one of my controversial opinions is that when women accuses a man of rape, and he really didn't rape her, as in she put out on the first night, regrets it in the morning, so she cries rape, she should have to serve the sentence he would have had to serve if he were guilty. i think these false accusations are the reason why legitimate rape victims don't get taken seriously.
    The problem with that is if he is found not guilty is that the same as saying she made a false accusation? Or would she then go to court as well? I think even fewer women who were raped would come forth if they thought that if he's found not guilty then she would endup in prison.

I'm dying of curiosity about your most controversial opinion. :smile:

I do have one more as well too. I think men should have "abortion rights" of a sort. I don't think he should be able to force her to have an abortion. But he should be able to walk away within 12 weeks of being proven to be (or assuming the role of) the father if he so chooses. HOWEVER, while I am not in favor of limiting the number of abortions a woman can have I would be in favor of limiting the number of times a man can sign away all rights and responsibilities to 2 or 3.
  • mikajoanow
    Options

They pay sales tax. But based on the previous person's post they were talking solely about income tax. They don't typically pay that.
    They do pay, payroll tax.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think that all illegal immigrants don't pay taxes. Many of them use stolen SSNs to get jobs (which yes I understand that's a crime), but with that SSN taxes, medicare, etc are taken out of every check. So yes, many DO pay taxes, just not under their real names.
  • Bahet
    Options
    IF they have a stolen SSN and they don't work under the table then they pay medicare and social security taxes. They do not pay income tax though. Even if they make enough that income taxes would be taken out they claim exempt and none are taken out.
  • mikajoanow
    Options

I do have one more as well too. I think men should have "abortion rights" of a sort. I don't think he should be able to force her to have an abortion. But he should be able to walk away within 12 weeks of being proven to be (or assuming the role of) the father if he so chooses. HOWEVER, while I am not in favor of limiting the number of abortions a woman can have I would be in favor of limiting the number of times a man can sign away all rights and responsibilities to 2 or 3.

Oh this one deserves its own page! lol
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    The problem with that is if he is found not guilty is that the same as saying she made a false accusation? Or would she then go to court as well? I think even fewer women who were raped would come forth if they thought that if he's found not guilty then she would endup in prison.

i mean when it comes to the legality of it all and convictions, it's a slippery slope, as some victims don't report it until much later, and don't go get a rape kit done at the police department. but you know who i'm talking about. chick willingly gives up the *kitten* that night and then forgets about the consent in the morning. i believe they should be held accountable in some way, because we all know, a man doesn't have to be found guilty for the stigma of even being ACCUSED of such an act to follow him for the rest of his life.

as far as my other opinion...LOL i offended my boyfriend when i told him, and he's pretty gung ho about everything so i have ruled to keep it to myself
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

Amen! :P
    This is just Bill O'reilly's annual "War on Christmas". He starts this crap every November just to rile up all the members of the Christaliban that think they live in a "Christian Nation" and would really like to force kids to say the Lord's Prayer in school. It's good for his ratings. Helps him sell more soap and make more $.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

i mean when it comes to the legality of it all and convictions, it's a slippery slope, as some victims don't report it until much later, and don't go get a rape kit done at the police department. but you know who i'm talking about. chick willingly gives up the *kitten* that night and then forgets about the consent in the morning. i believe they should be held accountable in some way, because we all know, a man doesn't have to be found guilty for the stigma of even being ACCUSED of such an act to follow him for the rest of his life.

as far as my other opinion...LOL i offended my boyfriend when i told him, and he's pretty gung ho about everything so i have ruled to keep it to myself

Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING in this world offends me. That said...I want to know your opinions, lol!! You can message me them if you don't wanna post them here? And if you don't wanna share them at all, I definitely respect that, too. But don't be afraid of offending me!:tongue:
  • Bahet
    Options

Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING in this world offends me. That said...I want to know your opinions, lol!! You can message me them if you don't wanna post them here? And if you don't wanna share them at all, I definitely respect that, too. But don't be afraid of offending me!:tongue:
    DITTO! I might not agree but I may also surprise you. :wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think that all illegal immigrants don't pay taxes. Many of them use stolen SSNs to get jobs (which yes I understand that's a crime), but with that SSN taxes, medicare, etc are taken out of every check. So yes, many DO pay taxes, just not under their real names.

not if you use that fake social and claim exempt. Then no (or minimal depending on your state) taxes are taken out of the paycheck. And a nightmare situation is created for the actual owner of the SSN.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

not if you use that fake social and claim exempt. Then no (or minimal depending on your state) taxes are taken out of the paycheck. And a nightmare situation is created for the actual owner of the SSN.

Ahhhh very good point.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've been reading this with interest and mulling someone's opinion over the weekend. I posted last week about sterilising drug users until they're a long time clean to prevent kids being ill-looked after, taken into care, etc. Someone (sorry, apologies, I can't remember who, and there're too many posts to scroll through now) felt that we should all be sterilised and then request it be reversed and 'opt in' when we want to have kids. The more I think about this, the more I think it's a great idea. Granted, I'm sure we'd be stepping on human rights and all that, but man, how many problems would that solve?! Go you, whoever you were!
  • mikajoanow
    Options
    I've been reading this with interest and mulling someone's opinion over the weekend. I posted last week about sterilising drug users until they're a long time clean to prevent kids being ill-looked after, taken into care, etc. Someone (sorry, apologies, I can't remember who, and there're too many posts to scroll through now) felt that we should all be sterilised and then request it be reversed and 'opt in' when we want to have kids. The more I think about this, the more I think it's a great idea. Granted, I'm sure we'd be stepping on human rights and all that, but man, how many problems would that solve?! Go you, whoever you were!

Why would you have to get sterilized if you could just opt in when you're ready to have kids? Unless you're saying that your aim is Eugenics? (sterilize anyone who is deemed unfit)