Show Us Yer Bike...

Options

Replies

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Got my first road bike yesterday - having been regularly riding a Specialized hybrid for 2 years - Giant Avail 1 - I love it but it's stormy here and I don't want it getting dirty on its first ride out!!

GiantAvail1small_zpscafde44e.jpg
  • johnmsmithers
    johnmsmithers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    9394274775_86cabd3240.jpg

1991 Miyata Elevation 1000

I bought it new, in 1991, when I was fitter. Mostly riding on the road, until I get fit enough to mountain bike. At my size, I don't give a !@$ about the weight of the bike. Will get a road bike down the, er, um, road... :happy:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    normally works better without the spaces before and after the img and /img tags...
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Got my first road bike yesterday - having been regularly riding a Specialized hybrid for 2 years - Giant Avail 1 - I love it but it's stormy here and I don't want it getting dirty on its first ride out!!

GiantAvail1small_zpscafde44e.jpg

Swit Swoo!
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My Single-Speed has changed a lot since I last posted it

9634772574_1ab6a18bed_z.jpg
    9631536189_efd2e1ba26_z.jpg
    9631535441_aee380f461.jpg

I really love this thing.....

Waiting to go on I have a set of silver wheels with large hubs and a fixed 16T setup out back and orange/green 700Cx23C tires....
  • ghost15026
    Options
    My Single-Speed has changed a lot since I last posted it

9634772574_1ab6a18bed_z.jpg
    9631536189_efd2e1ba26_z.jpg
    9631535441_aee380f461.jpg

I really love this thing.....

Waiting to go on I have a set of silver wheels with large hubs and a fixed 16T setup out back and orange/green 700Cx23C tires....

I'm not a fan of track bikes or classic builds. However, you, sir, do have good taste. The titanium chain, yellow/green graphics, and green/orange tires are brilliant.
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking seriously about trying the new Schwalbe Ultremo tubeless tyres on my Ultegra's next tyre-swap time... not 100% sure I'm good enough a rider to be worrying about the "marginal gains" from it, but I do love to experiment... and when Schwalbe state that the Ultremo tubeless is the best rolling tyre they make - including their tub's... well - it's got to be worth a look.

FYI - just saw a pair of those Schwalbe tires, nice looking tire. The guy that had them liked them. However neither of us had tried the other so no real comparison. Doubt you could go wrong with either.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Just ordered up my winter bike - Planet-X 105-Cyclocrosser

CBPXXLS105_P1.jpg
    (not my photo - it's still in the queue for building (once the frames arrive in my size!)

Hopefully I'll have it within a fortnight or so.
  • ghost15026
    Options
    Just ordered up my winter bike - Planet-X 105-Cyclocrosser

(not my photo - it's still in the queue for building (once the frames arrive in my size!)

Hopefully I'll have it within a fortnight or so.

You can't just say you're having a bike built and not give specs, man! Granted, I'm sure it has the latest SRAM Red 22...

Why Planet X, anyhow? Might be something I'm missing since I'm stateside.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    You can't just say you're having a bike built and not give specs, man! Granted, I'm sure it has the latest SRAM Red 22...

Why Planet X, anyhow? Might be something I'm missing since I'm stateside.

Well - it's A full Carbon Disk Specific 'cross Frame, Shimano 105 oily-bits (apart from the 'cross specific 36-46 105 level cranks) Avid BB7 Brakes, Shimano WH-RX05 wheels Deda Bars and PX'es own-brand stem and seatpin.

It's not by any means a money-no-object build - it's a combination winter-hack and summer gravel-grinder really.

It's also slightly going against the grain buying it "off the peg" (albeit with custom tweaks - stem length/bar width, crank length wise) but I was initially pricing purchasing a frame, brakes and wheels and using the running gear from my current Planet-X Superlight roadbike - problem was, the frame, wheels and brakes were very close in price to the full-bike price - and as the current superlight is actually still running 9 Speed mechanicals it was really a bit of a no-brainer.

Why Planet-X... Well - they're a local company for me - I've had a couple of MTB frames from their "sister company" On-One and the Superlight road - they're good, honest reliable bikes, sold by good honest reliable Yorskhire people who are half-a-hour down the road if anything goes wrong...

As an indication of what they're like - I bought (second hand) a On-One Inbred which had a few paint-chips etc. I posted on a popular UK MTB website (Singletrackworld) asking if anyone knew what was a good colourmatch for the frame. Within 10 minutes the guy who designed the frame posted saying "Drop me a email at xxxxxxxxx with your name and address and I'll send you a pot of touchup paint for it" - when I sent the email he replied "ah, you live on my route between home and the warehouse, I'll drop one in on my way home"
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    As an indication of what they're like - I bought (second hand) a On-One Inbred which had a few paint-chips etc. I posted on a popular UK MTB website (Singletrackworld) asking if anyone knew what was a good colourmatch for the frame. Within 10 minutes the guy who designed the frame posted saying "Drop me a email at xxxxxxxxx with your name and address and I'll send you a pot of touchup paint for it" - when I sent the email he replied "ah, you live on my route between home and the warehouse, I'll drop one in on my way home"

Superb! My next purchase may well be coming from them too!
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    CBPXXLS105_P1.jpg

Sweet
  • ghost15026
    Options

...he replied "ah, you live on my route between home and the warehouse, I'll drop one in on my way home" ...

Amazing. Needless to say, that's almost unheard of these days. Enjoy that ride :wink:
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I really like looking at pictures of everyone's beautiful, beloved bikes. Gawking at bikes is one of my favorite Internet activities. Here are my photo-worthy bikes:

This is a 1989 turquoise green Bridgestone RB-2 with all the original components. I put some Gatorskins on it but everything else is original. The frame is identical in geometry and materials to the nicer RB-1 bikes that came out that year. Shimano Sport-LX group, seven speed, yadda yadda ... I love this thing. It's so fun to ride. I just ordered a super sexy pink Brooks Colt saddle for it, which is gonna look super slick.
    20130908_104431.jpg

This is my new touring bike, a Raleigh Sojourn. I got it three weeks ago. This thing is SO heavy, but I don't really notice it once I get going, and it climbs surprisingly well. I use it for my long daily commute and am planning a solo bike trip to California in the spring. I love the disc brakes (never used them before this), but I'm not a fan of the Sora shifters that come standard on these bikes. They feel cheap and have already been giving me problems, even though I've only ridden this bike 400 miles so far.
    20130824_141310.jpg
  • adam145
    adam145 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the Sora shifters that come standard on these bikes. They feel cheap and have already been giving me problems, even though I've only ridden this bike 400 miles so far.

I don't really like Sora either, but if you're anything like me you'll get used to it. My main commuter is Sora, and has done over 8,000 miles without too many problems. Obviously several chains and cassettes, and a couple of BBs, but the shifters are still ok, although I had to replace one when I came off on ice. They do feel quite "clunky", but I find them adequate.
  • adam145
    adam145 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Here are mine...

Mountain bike, which I don't get as much time to ride as I'd like:
    BSVlq82IEAAw0nB.jpg

My daily commute for the last couple of years:
    BSQY2MEIcAA4Zyt.jpg

And for fun... (and core strength!)
    BSLVU9HIMAArjU-.jpg
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    with new wheels

1239493_3461808801019_716176107_n.jpg
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Superb! My next purchase may well be coming from them too!

That cyclo-cross bike looks the biz!! I'm still gutted that the women's Pro Carbon bike that I test rode and decided against because I didn't like the SRAM Rival shifting now has Shimano Ultegra on it - I think that *may* be next year's Cyclescheme purchase . :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I think by then Fran, they'll have sold out their back-catalogue of the old carbon Pro frames (it's a 2-3 year old design at least!) and they'll probably be at the stage of moving the RT-57's :laugh: (actually, no bad thing, iirc they're a custom layup version of a open-mould clone of the Trek Madone's from a few years ago)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRPXROT57/planet_x_rt_57_carbon_road_frame_and_fork

FRPXROT57_P9.jpg
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Here are mine...

Mountain bike, which I don't get as much time to ride as I'd like:
    BSVlq82IEAAw0nB.jpg

My daily commute for the last couple of years:
    BSQY2MEIcAA4Zyt.jpg

And for fun... (and core strength!)
    BSLVU9HIMAArjU-.jpg

Cool pictures! What is your commuter bike? I can't tell. And a unicyle! You ever commute on that?
    Hopefully the Sora shifters will grow on me. I haven't been riding it much lately. Been using my Bridgestone as a commuter even though it's ill-equipped for that purpose.