Racial Pride as it pertains to Caucasian People?

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
I know this may open up a can of worms but I am genuinely curious as to how Whites may feel about it not being "accepted" so to speak to be proud to be White.
Before anyone tries to crucify (lol) me, let me say my son is half White. I am Mexican, like born in Mexico and all that.
When my son was in the 1st grade there was some sort of assignment in regards to heritage, and most of the children turned in collages with Hispanic topics. We live in a primarily Hispanic/Latino whatever the politically correct term is blah blah community. He turned in a collage with images of England, Oklahoma (his paternal grandfather is from Oklahoma) and images of White people.
Needless to say we got weird looks. I was pissed. I mean...cmon...we know he's half Mexican, so what's wrong with him expressing his pride in his other half???
What do you all think?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think pride in one's own heritage is fine. It's just so very easy, especially for adults, to make the leap from "I like who I am" (which has innocent intentions)to "Mine is better than yours". And that's where all the trouble is.....and intolerance can be so ugly.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    To me it's fine to be proud of your heritage (Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, Mexican, Spanish, African, etc) than what the color of your skin is. There's nothing to be "proud" about having a certain color skin.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    To me it's fine to be proud of your heritage (Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, Mexican, Spanish, African, etc) than what the color of your skin is. There's nothing to be "proud" about having a certain color skin.

So what if you have no real strong ethnic heritage (I do as I am German) but I know plenty of people that have such a mix that they can't really claim one. I guess you just have to be a proud American?
  • macpatti
    Options
    So what if you have no real strong ethnic heritage (I do as I am German) but I know plenty of people that have such a mix that they can't really claim one. I guess you just have to be a proud American?
    Sure. Just not sure how being caucasian is something to be "proud" of.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm weird, I guess, because I don't see the point in being proud of something you didn't accomplish yourself. I don't take pride in being white--just like I think it's pointless to be proud being black, Asian, Hispanic, etc. To me it's like saying "I'm proud of my brown eyes!" I didn't make them, therefore, how am I proud of them? That's just my view on it. I think pride in ones own culture is more meaningful. Again, that's just me, though.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    I'm weird, I guess, because I don't see the point in being proud of something you didn't accomplish yourself. I don't take pride in being white--just like I think it's pointless to be proud being black, Asian, Hispanic, etc. To me it's like saying "I'm proud of my brown eyes!" I didn't make them, therefore, how am I proud of them? That's just my view on it. I think pride in ones own culture is more meaningful. Again, that's just me, though.

It's should totally, always be about heritage and never about appearance. I guess I don't understand how it's somewhat acceptable for "ethinc looking" people to show their pride in their appearance, where as that would be unacceptable for a white person.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

It's should totally, always be about heritage and never about appearance. I guess I don't understand how it's somewhat acceptable for "ethinc looking" people to show their pride in their appearance, where as that would be unacceptable for a white person.

Agreed. I think people automatically assume "oh yeah, they wanna be the next Hitler!" or that they're really racist.

I think it's pretty cool that I'm mostly Irish, and a little Italian. I could care less that I'm a white person. :laugh:
  • macpatti
    Options
    I guess I don't understand how it's somewhat acceptable for "ethinc looking" people to show their pride in their appearance, where as that would be unacceptable for a white person.
    "Ethnic looking" people????
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't we all be "ethnic looking" people?
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have pale pride. I resist the temptations to tan so I don't have to chop out chunks of skin like so many other people in my family have. That's about as far as my skin pride goes lol

I do enjoy my Northern European/Scandinavian heritage though. I also consider my mid western roots as part of my heritage.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm interested to hear what she meant by that statement.
  • catshark209
    Options
    I guess I don't understand how it's somewhat acceptable for "ethinc looking" people to show their pride in their appearance, where as that would be unacceptable for a white person.
    "Ethnic looking" people????

That would be like me saying "I'm brown and proud". I'm not brown, I'm a sickly pale shade of tan lol.
  • fbmandy55
    Options

Opps. Maybe that was one of those things that sounded good but didn't come out right.

What I mean is some people refer to characterics of their nationatilies in their appearance with pride: curves in latin-american women, tall-beautiful amazon women, dark and handsome Italian men, blue eyed-blone swiss women, african american women with a nice booty.

A causcasian-american woman really has nothing. :laugh:
  • catshark209
    Options
    Ok, what I meant by my inital post is that why is not "accepted" or "approved" that my son had turned in a collage with images of England and other Anglo-centric things. We've traced his and his father's ancestry to Yorkshire, England.
    One of his ancestors was an indentured servant in the Colonies. I know White is a generalization of people of Anglo, Celtic and so forth descent. I just meant people of European descent, primarily Northern Europe. Lordy.
  • catshark209
    Options

Opps. Maybe that was one of those things that sounded good but didn't come out right.

What I mean is some people refer to characterics of their nationatilies in their appearance with pride: curves in latin-american women, tall-beautiful amazon women, dark and handsome Italian men, blue eyed-blone swiss women, african american women with a nice booty.

Psh, whatever! You guys have beautiful eyes! My sister in laws eyes are sky blue or bright blue depending on what she wears.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

tried to fix, still failed. ugh.

Apparently, I've got nothing...........:ohwell:
  • macpatti
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not going to let you off the hook just yet. While I always appreciate a good back-pedal, I'm still wondering about the term "ethnic looking people". Who are "ethnic looking peopel" to you?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    If you are Caucasion, racial pride is interpreted as rasism.

NAACP?? What kind of an uproar would there be is someone wanted to create National Association for the Advancement of White People? Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would have a field day with that.

Latino Film Festival Awards ?? Would a Caucasion Film Festival Award ceremony create a problem?

BET?? White Entertainment Television?? I don't think so.

Asian Pride Parade?? Just the Asian community trying to celebrate their heritage, right? White Pride Parade? Must be a KKK offshoot, huh??

How many of you look at my picture? See the bald head and see a racist? I never owned a slave. I never hired illegal aliens and took advantage of them. I'm not apologising for being white. And I'm not apologizing for what previous generations did either. I treat everyone the same.

Racial pride as it pertains to Caucasion People? You tell me.
  • fbmandy55
    Options

Psh, whatever! You guys have beautiful eyes! My sister in laws eyes are sky blue or bright blue depending on what she wears.

So do many European women. It's not really a trait that defines an American. I'm not speaking for myself- I've been told that I look German-big frame, light hair, etc.... :laugh:
  • macpatti
    Options
    There is no need for a "White Pride Parade", "White Entertainment TV", "White Miss America", etc.........because that's what they've always been! We just didn't call it what it really was. There is nothing wrong with minority groups forming to support each other and raise awareness. I never owned a slave either, RoadDog, but I certainly feel society (which includes myself) owes an apology for the way minorities were and still are treated just because of the color of their skin.