Racial Pride as it pertains to Caucasian People?

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    That said, I refuse to be "politically correct" and I'll say I'm proud to be white. If someone has issues with it that's too bad. I'm not going to apologize for it.
    Of what is there to be proud? I just don't understand.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    And that is exactly what I mean, why can't white people say they are proud to be white???
    Because that usually means nothing more than, "I'm glad I'm not another race". We all know what "white pride" means. It means thinking you're better than other people because of your skin color.

And saying, " I'm proud to be black" means nothing more than "I'm glad I'm not another race". WHy is that ok then??

Or why is it ok for me to say I'm brown and proud? I just don't think its fair my son has to deny half his heritage for the sake of political correctedness.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    That said, I refuse to be "politically correct" and I'll say I'm proud to be white. If someone has issues with it that's too bad. I'm not going to apologize for it.

So basically, he can't be proud of who he is, but he could be proud of who he is if he was of my ethnicity?
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    And saying, " I'm proud to be black" means nothing more than "I'm glad I'm not another race". WHy is that ok then??
    No, that's not what it means. When a minority says they are "proud" it doesn't mean they think they're better. It means they're not ashamed and will no longer tolerate racism.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Patti. I've known extreme racists from every walk of life. People other than "white people" can be racist, too, and their "pride" can turn to "racism" just as fast. There's quite a few "whiter haters" out there.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Because that's part of who I am. I'm a white person. I'm also short. I'm a natural redhead (although because I'm older and gray, it now comes from a bottle}. I have my dad's big ears. I'm proud of whatever it is that makes me me because that's how God made me. So yes I have white pride. I also have short person pride. And I have my dad's big ears pride. What's wrong with that?
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I am proud to be an American, proud to be a (fill in both maiden and married last name) and i love my milky skin! I'm not proud to be "white" but I do love my Irish and Scottish heritage there's some real cool history there....I also have just about any other European race in me so I don't claim any of them as "my race." I am American as is anyone else who was born in this country regardless of color.

I love that it was a mexican person who brought this up :) I think that in terms of your son it's probably not so much a matter of "he's proud to be white" as much as "he's not showing that he's proud to be mexican." Also, I wonder if it's also a bit of disapproval of the interracial union. My husband is Puerto Rican and his family (cousins, luckily not immediate family) was like "you're contaminating our blood." blah blah blah

If someone says they are proud to be "white" I think that it also comes across as racist. I think that in this day in age it's totally ridiculous that one cannot be proud of their heritage. If people want to get upset because I am proud of the people who raised me and line of people it took to get me on this planet then that is their own problem
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    No, that's not what it means. When a minority says they are "proud" it doesn't mean they think they're better. It means they're not ashamed and will no longer tolerate racism.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Patti. I've known extreme racists from every walk of life. People other than "white people" can be racist, too, and their "pride" can turn to "racism" just as fast. There's quite a few "whiter haters" out there.

it doesn't NECESSARILY mean they are saying their glad they aren't white, but yes it could mean that. It could also just be them saying they are OK being a minority. Any form of pride about race could be a form of racism but it isn't racism in and of itself
  • macpatti
    Options
    Because that's part of who I am. I'm a white person. I'm also short. I'm a natural redhead (although because I'm older and gray, it now comes from a bottle}. I have my dad's big ears. I'm proud of whatever it is that makes me me because that's how God made me. So yes I have white pride. I also have short person pride. And I have my dad's big ears pride. What's wrong with that?
    Being grateful to God for who you are is one thing. Taking "pride" in being one color skin is another. Like I've said, being proud of where you came from, what your family traditions are, your heritage, your religion, is all fine. But when you start saying "I'm proud to be white", it carries a negative connotation.
  • mommared53
    Options

So basically, he can't be proud of who he is, but he could be proud of who he is if he was of my ethnicity?

He's a she. :smile:
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I think that in terms of your son it's probably not so much a matter of "he's proud to be white" as much as "he's not showing that he's proud to be mexican." Also, I wonder if it's also a bit of disapproval of the interracial union.

That actually crossed my mind, as well. After reading catshark's follow-up post about the project her son did, it seemed more of a cultural issue vs. a race one. They were upset that her son presented European culture vs. Mexican culture. His classmates/their parents/whoever took issue with it need to get a freaking life. :tongue: That'd be like a foreign exchange student doing that same project, and bringing in materials to represent, say, Finland, where that student is from, and everyone attacking them for not waving a big American flag instead.
  • macpatti
    Options
    it doesn't NECESSARILY mean they are saying their glad they aren't white
    Agreed.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

it doesn't NECESSARILY mean they are saying their glad they aren't white, but yes it could mean that. It could also just be them saying they are OK being a minority. Any form of pride about race could be a form of racism but it isn't racism in and of itself

I didn't say it was. I said there ARE people like that, not that EVERYONE is. Basically: racists aren't comprised wholly of white people.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    There is no need for a "White Pride Parade", "White Entertainment TV", "White Miss America", etc.........because that's what they've always been! We just didn't call it what it really was. There is nothing wrong with minority groups forming to support each other and raise awareness. I never owned a slave either, RoadDog, but I certainly feel society (which includes myself) owes an apology for the way minorities were and still are treated just because of the color of their skin.

I am going to disagree with you. When does it end? When do I get to stop making amends for what someone else did? My first wife was a total b*tch. Took my home, My car, even my motorcyclce. Cheated on me. You're a woman; don't you owe me an apology?

Actually I feel like a better analogy would be your dad's ex wife did all that and now YOU hate women.

I have to disagree with you on this Patti, yes, it is terrible everything that has happened, and yes, many today still mistreat minorities. I don't know anyone who ever owned a slave and I think that very few slave owners are still alive in the US. Those who had slaves owe something to the slaves they had, I owe nothing. It is history, it sucks, and I am sorry for anyone who went through that or had family who went through it, but white people do no owe it to black people. (though I'm not saying that Black people shouldn't have a parade or anything)
  • mommared53
    Options
    Being grateful to God for who you are is one thing. Taking "pride" in being one color skin is another. Like I've said, being proud of where you came from, what your family traditions are, your heritage, your religion, is all fine. But when you start saying "I'm proud to be white", it carries a negative connotation.

Well, like I said in my first post, I refuse to be "politically correct" and I will say I'm proud to be white. I'm not racist as anyone who knows me call tell you. As a matter of fact, my family would probably say I'm the least racist person they know. I don't have a problem with anyone saying they are proud to be Black or Hispanic or Asian or Mexican or anything else. If anyone has an issue with me saying I'm proud to be white, that's an issue they would need to deal with. My son is half Black and I've always encouraged him to be proud of the Black part of him and be proud of the white part of him.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    There is no need for a "White Pride Parade", "White Entertainment TV", "White Miss America", etc.........because that's what they've always been! We just didn't call it what it really was. There is nothing wrong with minority groups forming to support each other and raise awareness. I never owned a slave either, RoadDog, but I certainly feel society (which includes myself) owes an apology for the way minorities were and still are treated just because of the color of their skin.

I am going to disagree with you. When does it end? When do I get to stop making amends for what someone else did? My first wife was a total b*tch. Took my home, My car, even my motorcyclce. Cheated on me. You're a woman; don't you owe me an apology?

Actually I feel like a better analogy would be your dad's ex wife did all that and now YOU hate women. I have to disagree with you on this Patti, yes, it is terrible everything that has happened, and yes, many today still mistreat minorities. I don't know anyone who ever owned a slave and I think that very few slave owners are still alive in the US. Those who had slaves owe something to the slaves they had, I owe nothing. It is history, it sucks, and I am sorry for anyone who went through that or had family who went through it, but white people do no owe it to black people

And also because slavery exisited far before the African slaves brought to America. Since the beginning of time, rulers made slaves of their own subjects, who were of the same race. Macpatti, surely you know of Pharoh and Moses.
  • mommared53
    Options
    And that is exactly what I mean, why can't white people say they are proud to be white???
    Because that usually means nothing more than, "I'm glad I'm not another race". We all know what "white pride" means. It means thinking you're better than other people because of your skin color.

I just have to say, that's not at all what it means to me. It simply means, I'm satisfied to be whatever race I am. I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else because of my skin color.
  • macpatti
    Options
    but white people do no owe it to black people. (though I'm not saying that Black people shouldn't have a parade or anything)
    Well, I'm certainly not advocating every white person apologizing to every black person they know. I also don't advocate anyone walking around like they're owed anything. I certainly didn't mean to come across that way.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Macpatti, surely you know of Pharoh and Moses.
    I'm not sure. Can you explain it to me?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    i dont feel that there is any "heritage" associated with my whiteness...
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    but white people do no owe it to black people. (though I'm not saying that Black people shouldn't have a parade or anything)
    Well, I'm certainly not advocating every white person apologizing to every black person they know. I also don't advocate anyone walking around like they're owed anything. I certainly didn't mean to come across that way.

no, I didn't think you were advocating we all apologize but you said we owe them as a community....or something to that effect. I'll find the phrase and re-quote ;) Maybe I read it wrong