Racial Pride as it pertains to Caucasian People?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Opps. Maybe that was one of those things that sounded good but didn't come out right.
    What I mean is some people refer to characterics of their nationatilies in their appearance with pride: curves in latin-american women, tall-beautiful amazon women, dark and handsome Italian men, blue eyed-blone swiss women, african american women with a nice booty.
    Sorry, I'm not going to let you off the hook just yet. While I always appreciate a good back-pedal, I'm still wondering about the term "ethnic looking people". Who are "ethnic looking peopel" to you?

As I stated: Latino women with dark, eyes, dark hair, tan skin. Asian people have a pretty specific skin tone as well. Italian men tend to be more stocky and dark complected. There's nothing wrong with the term "ethnic looking". It's not a racial slur.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    I certainly feel society (which includes myself) owes an apology for the way minorities were and still are treated just because of the color of their skin.

I hope this is a joke. I've never treated a minority differently because of their skin tone, why should I feel the need to apologize to them?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I certainly feel society (which includes myself) owes an apology for the way minorities were and still are treated just because of the color of their skin.
    I hope this is a joke. I've never treated a minority differently because of their skin tone, why should I feel the need to apologize to them?
    I was responding to RoadDog here.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Opps. Maybe that was one of those things that sounded good but didn't come out right.
    What I mean is some people refer to characterics of their nationatilies in their appearance with pride: curves in latin-american women, tall-beautiful amazon women, dark and handsome Italian men, blue eyed-blone swiss women, african american women with a nice booty.
    Sorry, I'm not going to let you off the hook just yet. While I always appreciate a good back-pedal, I'm still wondering about the term "ethnic looking people". Who are "ethnic looking peopel" to you?

As I stated: Latino women with dark, eyes, dark hair, tan skin. Asian people have a pretty specific skin tone as well. Italian men tend to be more stocky and dark complected. There's nothing wrong with the term "ethnic looking". It's not a racial slur.

Yet.
    But saying "ethnic people" is kind of code for saying "brown people".

So give it time, and I predict a backlash against that term just like we decided to stop using "negro", "retarded", "mongoloid", and all kinds of other terms which used to be widely used, but have fallen from usage.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    There is no need for a "White Pride Parade", "White Entertainment TV", "White Miss America", etc.........because that's what they've always been! We just didn't call it what it really was. There is nothing wrong with minority groups forming to support each other and raise awareness. I never owned a slave either, RoadDog, but I certainly feel society (which includes myself) owes an apology for the way minorities were and still are treated just because of the color of their skin.

I am going to disagree with you. When does it end? When do I get to stop making amends for what someone else did? My first wife was a total b*tch. Took my home, My car, even my motorcyclce. Cheated on me. You're a woman; don't you owe me an apology?
  • macpatti
    Options
    I am going to disagree with you. When does it end? When do I get to stop making amends for what someone else did? My first wife was a total b*tch. Took my home, My car, even my motorcyclce. Cheated on me. You're a woman; don't you owe me an apology?
    Your ex taking you to the cleaners is completely different than slavery, racism, and civil rights issues. I'm not saying you should walk up to your black neighbor and say, "Hey, I'm sorry about slavery, how can I make that up to you"?
  • fbmandy55
    Options

Yet.
    But saying "ethnic people" is kind of code for saying "brown people".

So give it time, and I predict a backlash against that term just like we decided to stop using "negro", "retarded", "mongoloid", and all kinds of other terms which used to be widely used, but have fallen from usage.

eth·nic (thnk)
    adj.
    a. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage
  • macpatti
    Options
    eth·nic (thnk)
    adj.
    a. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a sizable group of people sharing a common and distinctive racial, national, religious, linguistic, or cultural heritage
    But you used it to refer to non-caucasian people.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    eth·nic (thnk)
    adj.
    But you used it to refer to non-caucasian people.

And your point? I was just showing that the definition of ethnic can include racial characteristics. Those racial characteristics can be praised, desired, whatever unless you are caucasian. Then you become racist.

One can say "I have beautiful Spanish olive skin" and it's ok. If a caucasian person were to say "I have beautiful American white skin", they would be ripped apart.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Your ex taking you to the cleaners is completely different than slavery, racism, and civil rights issues. I'm not saying you should walk up to your black neighbor and say, "Hey, I'm sorry about slavery, how can I make that up to you"?

Oh well. You and I will never see eye to eye on this issue. I will continue to judge others based on merit and how they interact with myself and others. I will not treat people differently based on history. My history started in 1954 and you may hold me accountable for anything I have done since then. I probably wouldn't change a thing. Not even the dumb stuff.

Everyone may label me as they see fit.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I always hated those assignments, but probably because I am an adoptee. Ask adoptees how they feel, and then you'll see what pissed off looks like when it comes to pride in ones heritage.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programs.
  • macpatti
    Options
    And your point? I was just showing that the definition of ethnic can include racial characteristics. Those racial characteristics can be praised, desired, whatever unless you are caucasian. Then you become racist.
    I'm not saying you're racist. My point of contention is using the term, "ethnic looking people" to refer to anyone not caucasian. Caucasians have ethnicity, too.
    One can say "I have beautiful Spanish olive skin" and it's ok. If a caucasian person were to say "I have beautiful American white skin", they would be ripped apart.
    It's one thing to say, "I love that my skin is pale". It's another to say, "I'm proud that I'm white".
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you're racist. My point of contention is using the term, "ethnic looking people" to refer to anyone not caucasian. Caucasians have ethnicity, too.
    It's one thing to say, "I love that my skin is pale". It's another to say, "I'm proud that I'm white".

And that is exactly what I mean, why can't white people say they are proud to be white???
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Caucasian refers to race only, not ethnicity. That could mean European, American, North African, etc. It's not an "ethnic look" in my mind. Geography plays a role is the physical appearance of a person, though, caucasian is much more broad and covers more geography than say, Latino, which can be both ethnicity AND race.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And that is exactly what I mean, why can't white people say they are proud to be white???

Here's the thing, they can. They should be able to without any shame. The white race (I try not to believe in race much) has plenty of accomplishments and traits that are admirable and deserving of recognition.

The problem is that throughout history any time people got together to celebrate how great it is to be white you usually ended up with offensive rallies, lynchings and the violent expansion of Germany.

If you wanted to be proud of being white there's a group out there for you! Problem being they're a group you probably don't want to associate with at all if you have any sense.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Because that usually means nothing more than, "I'm glad I'm not another race". We all know what "white pride" means. It means thinking you're better than other people because of your skin color.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Caucasian refers to race only, not ethnicity. That could mean European, American, North African, etc. It's not an "ethnic look" in my mind. Geography plays a role is the physical appearance of a person, though, caucasian is much more broad and covers more geography than say, Latino, which can be both ethnicity AND race.

"Race relates to a person's appearance - chiefly the color of their skin. It is determined biologically, with genetic traits such as skin color, eye color, hair color, bone/jaw structure etc.

Ethnicity, on the other hand, relates to cultural factors such as nationality, culture, ancestry, language and beliefs".

Caucasians can be ethnic. That's why when you said, "ethnic looking people" I wondered what you meant.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Because that usually means nothing more than, "I'm glad I'm not another race". We all know what "white pride" means. It means thinking you're better than other people because of your skin color.

And saying, " I'm proud to be black" means nothing more than "I'm glad I'm not another race". WHy is that ok then??
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I kind of skimmed through the responses and RoadDog once again you said exactly what I would have tried to say. That said, I refuse to be "politically correct" and I'll say I'm proud to be white. If someone has issues with it that's too bad. I'm not going to apologize for it. I'm pale and I like being pale. If I had naturally very dark skin and anything in between, I'd be proud of my skin color. If I was any other race, I'd be proud of whatever race I was.

And for now since my son needs to use the computer, I'll have to get back on her later.
  • macpatti
    Options
    And saying, " I'm proud to be black" means nothing more than "I'm glad I'm not another race". WHy is that ok then??
    No, that's not what it means. When a minority says they are "proud" it doesn't mean they think they're better. It means they're not ashamed and will no longer tolerate racism.