Getting to Know ME!

Options

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I became a single dad when my son was 4 (almost exactly one year ago) and (you're all going to hate me) I lost 40 lbs from the stress of the split, the divorce, the heartache, and the sudden and total weight of the world descending onto my shoulders.

not gonna hate you... though I sure wish I'd have lost 40 lbs rather than gained 30 when my marriage fell apart, lol! Welcome to the group.
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I became a single dad when my son was 4 (almost exactly one year ago) and (you're all going to hate me) I lost 40 lbs from the stress of the split, the divorce, the heartache, and the sudden and total weight of the world descending onto my shoulders.

not gonna hate you... though I sure wish I'd have lost 40 lbs rather than gained 30 when my marriage fell apart, lol! Welcome to the group.

I soooooo agree with Janie :blushing:

I wish I didn't comfort eat when I'm stressed! :bigsmile:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only full time single dad on here.

Not any more!

Oh well, I was special for a little while. Anyway welcome, this is a pretty good group with lots of advice. Its also relaxed and stress free too, which I like. Being a full time single parent is very stressful sometimes and this group is very helpful.
  • vhleblanc
    Options
    Have two teenagers ... a boy and a girl. Am a bit of a take over kinda person, so I was already running/supporting the household and handling a majority of the parenting on my own. I was alot less fun, more "efficient" I'd say. Have only been a "single woman" for about a yr and a half. Its hard to find the energy to also be a fun parent and a healthier person in addition to making some "me" time to discover who I am when I'm not half a "couple". Its led me to take up working out again (which I'd loved from my teen yrs thru my own kids toddlerhood, after which I jumped into working full-time). I've also had some fun trying new things. Bellydancing? Not so much :( Yoga? I love :-)
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! my name is Katie. I became a single mom in 2003. when I left my ex husband who was an abuser. I am on the weight loss journey to getting healthy and fit. I hope to make many new friends here.
  • Sea131105
    Sea131105 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a single mom of a recently turned 3 year old. I've been single since he was three weeks old. After his second birthday I realized that I really had to make some changes. Last year I lost 70 pounds in total. Then, came the holidays and winter months. After his recent third birthday I decided it was time to get back on track. For my son. My first weigh in since starting again is April 12. I've been working hard at the YMCA and have only gone over my calorie goal twice. Which is pretty awesome. I'm excited for this new change and excited to talk to and motivate and get motivation from other people in my same boat.
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a single mom of a 7 yr old. I've been on the "weight-loss wagon" for awhile but fell off a little over a year ago when splitting with my daughter's dad. I'm hoping to get in the best shape of my life (mind, body and soul) and set a great example for my wee little lady.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mommy to my 4 year old son. I'm about half-way to my goal and feel pretty good! He's gluten free so I am too (just easier), which was tough to start, but I'm finding so many creative (and more accessible) alternatives so it's getting easier! It's been quite a journey so far. Phew!

Thanks for starting this group and feel free to add me if you're looking for support! :flowerforyou:
  • caroljae
    caroljae Posts: 10
    Options
    Single mom here! I've been single for over 6 years, my son is almost 9. I suffer from anxiety and am a 'stress eater', the past couple years have been especially rough for me and I ended up gaining 55 lbs. My wake up call is NOW - my blood pressure is getting out of control (due to weight gain and stress).

My strengths are being a good mother, friend, house keeper, lawn boy, cook, co-worker, party planner and speaker.

My weaknesses are always being late and food.

Nice to meet ya'll!
  • Kerri7897
    Kerri7897 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am a single mom to a 4yo and a 2yo....both boys. I have been separated from their dad for 2 years and divorced for 5months. It was a devastating experience and I gained weight while everything was going on since my 2 yo was a few months old. I had to move back in with my parents and I was keeping really odd hours and having to eat out all the time. About 4 months ago, I moved into my own place and realized that I needed to make some changes since I am the heaviest I have ever been including being pregnant. It's hard to balance raising children with finding time for myself....that's what I'm struggling with now.
  • I'm a single mom to the most fantastic 7 year old girl that I have ever met!

Unfortunately my poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyle has been passed down to her and now we both need to
    make changes for the better. I'm looking forward to sharing the ups and downs of single parenting while trying to mAke for myself with you all!
  • yepitsjen
    yepitsjen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I'm Jen- single mom to a 12 year old girl. I've been split from her dad for about 8 years, but because he was a touring musician (aka- a guitar player in a rock band) it's been me and her, on our own, the whole time- even when he was around. My weight gain started about a year after I split with my ex. I quit working out and was working 70-80 hours a week at a super high stress job.

In 2011, I was making a **** load of money as an exec of sorts at a well-known internet company and started having chest pains. Right after I turned 40. I was chain smoking, killing a bottle+ of wine a night, getting little to no sleep and barely eating- or eating all of the leftover kid food I made for my daughter (mac n cheese, pizza, high starch/high fat kid food).

At the end of 2012, I moved out of a 1900 sq foot house in to a 900 sq ft apartment, pulled a bunch of money out of savings, paid off all my debt, and quit my job. I got a new job within weeks, where I actually have a work life balance. It's amazing to be able to spend time with my daughter, get some sleep and start working on making me happy again. I'm making all kinds of changes and finding out who I am, again.

Today, I love my life. 6 months ago, I just felt like I was waiting to die.
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm Lisa...single mom of 2 boys...age 9 & 7 (although their birthdays are just 2 months off). I've struggled with my weight pretty much forever, and last year started REALLY trying to get a hold of it--lost 30 pounds! But between the holidays and a series of unfortunate life events, I've gained back 10 of it. Amongst those events was a surgery that had me on my behind for the last month.

But today is a new day! I'm getting back on track and raring to go. My biggest motivator is my 7 year old. My 9 year old is a toothpick. He inherited my father's genes--can eat ANYTHING and it doesn't matter. My 7 year old however has my genes...we look at a piece of chocolate and gain 5 pounds. He is about 104 pounds and I'm not happy about it--but I own his weight because he doesn't shop for himself or fix his own meals. So this journey is about me being a good example for him and by doing right for my own dietary needs I will do right for him as well.

So today is day one...WOO HOO!!!

:smile:
  • JanieJack
    Options
    My 7 year old however has my genes...we look at a piece of chocolate and gain 5 pounds. He is about 104 pounds and I'm not happy about it--but I own his weight because he doesn't shop for himself or fix his own meals. So this journey is about me being a good example for him and by doing right for my own dietary needs I will do right for him as well.

Welcome Lisa! You can do it!!

You have a beautiful smile, and with a little determination you can teach your 7 year old that he can still look good even if he wasn't born with "good genes" like the 9 year old.

Before I started working out every day (almost every day, lol) I, too, gained weight just by looking at chocolate or ribs or milkshakes or... whatever! But now I have a little (not a lot!) more leeway.

Best wishes,

Janie
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Oops! Welcome also to Jen, Thnkingthin, Kerri, Carol, Doreen, Behl9, and vhleblanc! Glad to have y'all on the forum! Guess I'd better read this thread more often so I can meet all of you fabulous single parents! I promise, it's not *just* the single dads that get my welcomes ;-)
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    hey every one :)

im a single mumma to harry 5, ella 3 and lola lou, 21 months !

im a stay at home mum and i run 2 businesses from my little office space..... im a survivor of domestic violence and i lost a lot of confidence because of that. i lost myself and my eating and depression spiralled.

im happier now with my emotions and i know that the final way to feel more like the old me is to lose this weight and find that happy confident girl i used to be.

ive been on this diet a week now, and started 30 day shred today. ive lost 3lb so far :) and i think its a good start !!

im just hoping to keep on !!!

x
  • JayTee146
    JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    hey every one :)

im a single mumma to harry 5, ella 3 and lola lou, 21 months !

im a stay at home mum and i run 2 businesses from my little office space..... im a survivor of domestic violence and i lost a lot of confidence because of that. i lost myself and my eating and depression spiralled.

im happier now with my emotions and i know that the final way to feel more like the old me is to lose this weight and find that happy confident girl i used to be.

ive been on this diet a week now, and started 30 day shred today. ive lost 3lb so far :) and i think its a good start !!

im just hoping to keep on !!!

x

welcome mummma!

you can do this! you've already proven that you're not only a surviver but you're a strong woman! we're here for you :heart:
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thankyou :) its a difficult journey. but its an exciting one!! x
  • BrettMacaw
    Options
    Hi, I'm a single dad of a beautiful but fiesty almost 9 year old girl. I've been up and down with my weight for years, and I want to get fit so my daughter and I can become closer. Hopefully by reaching out in this manner I can get suggestions, advice, and support.
  • gdkerplunk
    gdkerplunk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! It's nice to see a group full of people that know and understand my life! :)

My name is Dana and I'm the mom of two awesome little girls (almost 5 and almost 2). My life circles around work and my girls with barely enough time to do much else.

My divorce just became final a week or so ago, so now it's time for a change! I've tried and tried again many, many times. But what got me recently was when I finally saw my weight go above 150.

I'm on day five of my new ways of eating, and day five of the 30 Day Shred. Time to get back to looking and feeling better!

Nice to meet you guys! :)