Progress so far

Options
I have just added this entry to Heybales' original topic 'An easier way to set up goal calories' but thought we could start a progress thread on the group page. Here is my entry for those who haven't seen it:

Just thought I'd provide an update on progress. I have been eating on average just over 2000 calories per day since Wednesday (up from around 1350-1750 per day). I should be eating slightly more according to this method but only by about 100 calories, and 2000 is all I can manage at the moment.

I weighed in this morning to find I have lost a further 1.2lbs! And that was weighing in after breakfast (I have always done this before breakfast in the past). That's a total of 1.6lbs so far, which probably means I should be eating a bit more but also doesn't include my rest day (that's tomorrow) so I think I'm doing ok as far as the calculations go.

Other things I've noticed which may or may not be related (but I suspect they are):

I feel warmer (I have always had bad circulation but am now finding that when others complain about the current cold weather, I realise I actually feel just fine! I went jogging this morning in -4 degrees and didn't bat an eyelid)
I have more energy
I have a more positive mood
I fall asleep much faster and sleep more soundly
My body feels more 'solid'
I am starting to regard my body as my ally rather than my enemy

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I weighed in this morning to find I have lost a further 1.2lbs! And that was weighing in after breakfast (I have always done this before breakfast in the past). That's a total of 1.6lbs so far, which probably means I should be eating a bit more but also doesn't include my rest day (that's tomorrow) so I think I'm doing ok as far as the calculations go.

Other things I've noticed which may or may not be related (but I suspect they are):

I feel warmer (I have always had bad circulation but am now finding that when others complain about the current cold weather, I realise I actually feel just fine! I went jogging this morning in -4 degrees and didn't bat an eyelid)
    I have more energy
    I have a more positive mood
    I fall asleep much faster and sleep more soundly
    My body feels more 'solid'
    I am starting to regard my body as my ally rather than my enemy

Excellent recovery. That's faster than I thought someone might see, you must not have been constantly below by that much.

Very true on the side effect of being warmer, since metabolism produces heat, it should go up. Bummer for the summer. Of course, by then, the desire is less insulation to keep it in.
  • becjerami
    Options
    Thanks Heybales. I'm really surprised by it, I was expecting to put on weight at first. I think perhaps the times I've thought I was overeating or not exercising enough in the past couple of months have unexpectedly saved my metabolism!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hey, just FYI--no loss (or gain) yet, but I did fall asleep easier last night and woke up easier this morning (even with not going to bed until 12)

Just started on Friday (but had a bad weekend that was planned, and I don't believe in instant results from diet changes, so no worries)

Good luck everyone!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I sent this message to heybales and thought i would share with you...

You helped me with my numbers last week (I had been stuck at the same 5# up and down) for over 6 months....
    I increased my calories (not quite as high as suggested...I was scared), but upping my NET calories 200+ and getting in about 6 miles of walking over 3 days........I lost 4# last week! (I suspect a couple # was water weight from a salty meal) but 4#!!!!!!!!!
    I was ecstatic!
    Thank you so much for your help.....i was just swimming in a circle for so long. I am hopeful this trend will continue.
    Who would have thought....I wasn't eating enough!!
    Makes no sense to people like me that have been overweight pretty much since I was 7 yrs old! I couldn't see dropping my calories any lower than I already was eating but since i wasn't moving the scale, i was thinking i needed to DECREASE my calories (not realizing I was really netting UNDER 1200) almost every day or right at it.
    POOR BODY!! lol
    AGAIN.....THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, if your scale is stuck, this may be worth a try!!
    And I for one, am pretty happy I can eat more! (obviously "good" food not junk tho)!
    Our bodies get adapted to our food, exercise, etc and sometimes you just gotta shake it up!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK ALL!~
    And it's a bonus to me that i really don't need to decrease my calories at all!!!!!!!!! Love it!
  • becjerami
    Options
    Progress end of Week 1

Current BMR = 1517
    Goal Weight BMR = 1413

Average calorie intake per day = 2101
    Average Excercise burn per day = 545
    Average Net Calories = 1556

Weight lost this week = 1.6lbs
  • slimmerchick
    slimmerchick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been eating loads more than usual over the last week and I have lost 1lb - thanks Heybales!
  • heybales
    Options
    Progress end of Week 1

Current BMR = 1517
    Goal Weight BMR = 1413

Thank you for sharing, and the excellent way to confirm what is happening there, by using a weekly avg.

Avg net calories for the week (1556) is just a tad above current BMR (1517).

So very easy to see that the 500 cal deficit from only exercise calories would give 1 lb/wk loss.

The other daily activity is undoubtedly causing the calorie burn to go under the BMR on workout days, but the rest day and different level of activity automatically mean it is not constant underfeeding, allows the metabolism to not just give up and drop.

Thanks for update.

I'll be curious when the runs either get faster at the same heart rate, or you maintain the pace and find the heart rate goes down. Because I'll bet you are building up some muscle now! So while becoming more efficient because more to share the load, at least more also means higher metabolism.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My transient, hypothyroid-relevant weather report is: + 1 lb

This is okay because I never really count a pound as "gone" until I lose the next 2lbs after it.

To explain my thought process: truthfully I was 183 when I weighed, and I recorded that, but I never believe that. Over the course of a few days the number went up to 186 and then down to 184 so I think really I was 184 all along. If I weighed in at 180 then I would believe 182. I hope I can lose one pound next week. I would like to see 182 which will really be something else. I'm not sure I explain it well.

I guess it is a helpful defense against being disappointed by the scale all my life no matter what I was, I truly would like to weigh less. And Rational Me knows that isn't what's important. Irrational Lifetime Dieter Me couldn't give a rat's *kitten*, I'm always going to be the wrong weight.

This is still confusing for me, I will admit. I have no idea why, when I plug in my info, it tells me I'm supposed to be eating nearly 2000 calories. There's no way. So I'm set for 1700 I think, and basically that frees me up to concentrate on fixing meals based on healthy choices. That being said, I had a (substitute teacher) job every day this week, I work this weekend and I work every day next week, so I'm on my feet all those hours with no snack opportunities other than the apples or oranges I pack in my bag.

Psychologically I am feeling really good. The cold I've had seemingly since Thanksgiving seems better (or I figured out what combo of meds to use that won't keep me up all night) and I'm kinda excited to get more sleep and feel better in general. My current substitute teacher assignment has been very intrinsically rewarding (if not as rewarding in the dollars I'm usually making!) I am making some interesting personal choices as well, which has me just generally giddy! It helps to have work which means the paycheck will be enough, which helps with the psychological aspect. Not such a struggle to be positive.
  • heybales
    Options
    This is still confusing for me, I will admit. I have no idea why, when I plug in my info, it tells me I'm supposed to be eating nearly 2000 calories. There's no way. So I'm set for 1700 I think, and basically that frees me up to concentrate on fixing meals based on healthy choices. That being said, I had a (substitute teacher) job every day this week, I work this weekend and I work every day next week, so I'm on my feet all those hours with no snack opportunities other than the apples or oranges I pack in my bag.

You mentioned you probably had a lower than avg metabolism anyway, so that could be a better estimate.

The walking/standing is great daily activity fat-burning stuff, which requires no feeding, should help immensely.
  • heybales
    Options
    Forgot for my results. I stopped eating for training for an event, cut back on massive cardio workouts, and can settle back to this method.
    Hard to do this method when you do a 4000 calorie burn in one day, besides normal big workouts through the week. That is a bit much to spread out and not be starving on that day.

Progress Week 2

Current BMR = 1872
    Goal Weight BMR = 1697
    Future maintenance as current daily goal calories = 2339

Average calorie intake per day = 2335
    Average Exercise burn per day = 323
    Average Net Calories = 2012

Weight lost this week = 2.6 lbs

I missed 2 planned workouts, 60 min cardio and 45 min weight lifting.
    I went over 300 on hard cardio day, and cut 200 on a rest day. Never planned that mathwise, just worked out.

Well above current BMR, so perhaps mine is flying higher than expected. Because of results obtained.
  • becjerami
    Options
    Progress end of Week 1

Current BMR = 1517
    Goal Weight BMR = 1413

Progress end of week 2

Been a bit of a hairy week with inconsistent calorie intake and also 1 less workout than usual. I haven't counted one of the days in my averages as, although I know I went over my calorie goal by some way, I was also horribly sick a few hours afterwards so have no clue as to how many calories I actually ingested.

Average calorie intake per day = 2081
    Average Exercise burn per day = 423
    Average Net Calories = 1658

I haven't got a weight recording for this week as the scale has been all over the place with a range of around 5lbs, going both under and over last recorded weight. I have a generally low sodium diet so I don't think that's the cause. I am hoping a more consistent routine this week (and no sickness) will sort it out. I suspect I may have actually gained a bit though as I feel bigger.

I am also at the point where my exercise routine is becoming extremely easy for me so the task over the next week or two is to purchase a decent heart rate monitor and take my own body fat measurements to get an accurate handle on calorie expenditure. I have pretty good cardio fitness with a resting heartrate of around 55 beats per minute so I suspect I may be burning fewer calories than my estimates! Woe is me...
  • heybales
    Options
    I am also at the point where my exercise routine is becoming extremely easy for me so the task over the next week or two is to purchase a decent heart rate monitor and take my own body fat measurements to get an accurate handle on calorie expenditure. I have pretty good cardio fitness with a resting heartrate of around 55 beats per minute so I suspect I may be burning fewer calories than my estimates! Woe is me...

Sorry to hear sick. Hopefully short was it, and no re-occurance.

I figured your aerobic capacity should be getting better with those workouts, yet good rest days you give your muscles.

I wouldn't worry about the calorie part yet except for your spot checks. The ExRx activity calculator really underestimates those exercise calories. Heavy level is only BMR x 7.
    So current BMR 1517 daily / 24 hrs = 63/hr x 7= 442 cal estimate per hour. I can't recall if you ran 5 or 6 days a week. If 5, appears yours is about 763 per workout day (time unknown), if 6, then 635 per workout. So still underestimated either way by decent amount.
  • becjerami
    Options
    Thanks Heybales. I was only sick the one day, nothing serious.

Great job on your progress report by the way.

My major exercise is walking to and from work 5 days a week (occassionally a day off if it's raining etc). It used to take me 90 minutes but now I'm getting there in about 80 minutes. Not surprising I suppose as I've been at it regularly for about 6 weeks or so. I walk between 4mph and 4.5mph. I then walk 35 mins after work as well, so my daily burn is around 700. Running is only for weekends at the moment whilst I wait for the evenings to get lighter, and I haven't been regular lately so haven't counted it. If I don't run I'll usually do something else like be walking around town, so lightly active.

I figure my body may just be out of kilter this week and also getting used to the new programme.

Many thanks
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My progress - week 1, down 1.2 pounds. Averaging about 1650 calories / day and no longer having hunger pains. (Need to work up to about 1850)
    Week 2, down 1.4 pounds. More energy for longer workouts.

Let's see what week 3 brings!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    well, only half a week at 1800 cals (up from 1600 for two months) and I'm up 1.7 lbs but more importantly down a total of an inch!! I lost half an inch off my waist and hips. Ever since I began this mini-steps-to-increase cals thing two months ago I've been CONSISTENTLY shrinking week to week even though the scale's not moving a ton. I figure that'll come later. Hope everyone's measuring regularly!! It's just about the only thing keeping me from getting discouraged about the scale!
  • heybales
    Options
    well, only half a week at 1800 cals (up from 1600 for two months) and I'm up 1.7 lbs but more importantly down a total of an inch!! I lost half an inch off my waist and hips. Ever since I began this mini-steps-to-increase cals thing two months ago I've been CONSISTENTLY shrinking week to week even though the scale's not moving a ton. I figure that'll come later. Hope everyone's measuring regularly!! It's just about the only thing keeping me from getting discouraged about the scale!

Your muscle is finally being fed enough to grow!

Once it stops, the fat will keep melting off as it sounds like it has been already.

Quick, get your measurements for bodyfat% estimate, see how it improves.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
  • heybales
    Options
    My progress - week 1, down 1.2 pounds. Averaging about 1650 calories / day and no longer having hunger pains. (Need to work up to about 1850)
    Week 2, down 1.4 pounds. More energy for longer workouts.

Let's see what week 3 brings!

Excellent progress while working your way up!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

Your muscle is finally being fed enough to grow!

Once it stops, the fat will keep melting off as it sounds like it has been already.

Quick, get your measurements for bodyfat% estimate, see how it improves.
    http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

Nice tool! Never seen that one. It gives me an average of 32% :o)
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    After about 1 week doing this, I'm down 2.5 pounds! I hit about a week of not moving the scale, and I thought, maybe I'm not eating enough because I work out 5 days a week. So I tried this method and it seems to be working for me!

Thanks Heybales!!! I was able to cross into double digit weight loss and I am PUMPED!!:bigsmile:
  • heybales
    Options
    After about 1 week doing this, I'm down 2.5 pounds! I hit about a week of not moving the scale, and I thought, maybe I'm not eating enough because I work out 5 days a week. So I tried this method and it seems to be working for me!

Thanks Heybales!!! I was able to cross into double digit weight loss and I am PUMPED!!:bigsmile:

Great to hear. And did you actually jump the calorie gap all at once, or partly there? How big a difference in calories? I know hard to estimate if you were feeding your workouts before with specific numbers, and here it's already included.

Edit:
    So saw your other post about 1300, so you made a 550 cal jump in a week, and still saw loss.
    Wow!
    I'd suggest you may not have hurt your metabolism much at all then. And if you were low on glucose stores, those had to have gotten filled up now.
    I wouldn't be surprised that if that was really non-water weight lost, you actually had more fat melt off as muscle was finally repaired or glucose finally topped off, and there was weight gain for that part, just more fat loss.
    Excellent mental attitude not being scared. :drinker: