Progress so far

Options

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1 more pound gone! I'd have to say my first month of following this plan (February) has been a success!

Wow, fantastic!

I have to say I've had no luck so far. May I ask what you were averaging before and what you bumped up to for this plan?

Before switching to this method, I had my goals set to lose 1 pound per week and myfitnesspal had me at 1200 calories. I almost always ate back about 75% of my exercise calories, but on non-exercise days and even on exercise days, I felt like I was constantly hungry. My "future self" BMR with my activity level is about 1800 calories / day - I'm usually always a little short of that, generally closer to 1600-1700, but I do usually have one meal each week that puts me over the 1800.

Hope that helps!
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thought I would update you all. I have been doing this plan for two weeks now, and have lost a total of 6 lb and 6 inches!
    So so pleased with how it is all going!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1500 a day (okay, so more like 1600 - 1700 because I feel like I need it, I get hungry - but MFP is set to 1500).
    From memory my BMR was meant to be somewhere around 1400ish.

Anyways, my scales are still yoyoing up + down between 61.2 - 62kg, but I wasn't worried about that.

I should probably add that I start doing the 30DS as a motivation to do heavier exercise daily (its only 30 min and it doesn't hurt), together with starting heavy lifting at the gym.

I've lost cms (I can't remember exactly when I started the higher cal intake and no exercise logging but it still probably playing a nice factor)

9th feb:
    Hips 97
    Waist 86
    L thigh 62 R thigh 62.3
    L arm 30.5 R arm 30.5

18th feb
    Hips 95.5
    Waist 84
    L thigh 60.5 R thigh 61
    L arm 30 R arm 30

5th march
    Hips 93
    Waist 79
    L thigh 58 R thigh 57
    L arm 29 R arm 29

So I guess my one lingering question is: Should I try and be eating closer to the 1500, stay the same (hovering 1600-1700 with a satisfied hunger), OR eating more?

I'm definitely more interested in toning up than losing weight - ie stripping fat rather than weighing less, so I don't want to be undereating too much.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1500 a day (okay, so more like 1600 - 1700 because I feel like I need it, I get hungry - but MFP is set to 1500).

Anyways, my scales are still yoyoing up + down between 61.2 - 62kg, but I wasn't worried about that.

I should probably add that I start doing the 30DS as a motivation to do heavier exercise daily (its only 30 min and it doesn't hurt), together with starting heavy lifting at the gym.

I've lost cms (I can't remember exactly when I started the higher cal intake and no exercise logging but it still probably playing a nice factor)

I'm definitely more interested in toning up than losing weight - ie stripping fat rather than weighing less, so I don't want to be undereating too much.

Wow - you have been melting off that much fat and your weight is staying about the same!
    That can only mean you are gaining muscle, and the extra storage ability for glucose and water.

I'd say if that routine is adding in more than when you did your activity levels, time to re-adjust, as it probably will be too little calories now.
    At some point though, you'll probably see the muscle stop being added because you've got what is needed for current activity, and then the weight will just drop by itself.

Then again, with only 2kg to go, and adding weight lifting, you may just keep dropping fat and staying the same.

For sure re-evaluate those activity levels. In fact, this close to goal weight, you might do the measurements for estimating bodyfat %, and if you have a decent realistic of view of where you would like that to be, use that for current BMR calcs since probably close .
    Use the spreadsheet to make it easier, which also has the link to get the BF%.
  • salxtai
    Options

Wow - you have been melting off that much fat and your weight is staying about the same!
    That can only mean you are gaining muscle, and the extra storage ability for glucose and water.

I'd say if that routine is adding in more than when you did your activity levels, time to re-adjust, as it probably will be too little calories now.
    At some point though, you'll probably see the muscle stop being added because you've got what is needed for current activity, and then the weight will just drop by itself.

Then again, with only 2kg to go, and adding weight lifting, you may just keep dropping fat and staying the same.

For sure re-evaluate those activity levels. In fact, this close to goal weight, you might do the measurements for estimating bodyfat %, and if you have a decent realistic of view of where you would like that to be, use that for current BMR calcs since probably close .
    Use the spreadsheet to make it easier, which also has the link to get the BF%.

I have started uni this week though, so no more on-my-feet-all-day routine. Be interesting to see what happens giving it 2 or 3 weeks at this activity level. The daily 30min circuit together with the gym sessions + MA trainings may be enough to keep me from becoming too sedentary. Hopefully - then again, I'm the type to continually bounce legs/twiddle thumbs.

I did one body fat% calculation online that asked for calf, wrist, waist and I got 22.5% fat.
    I'm a bit skeptical about that - don't think that's right, especially because I have a genetic tendency to not put any weight on below my elbows + knees (ie. my wrists are 15cm circumference... even when I was 10kg heavier).

I'll need to hunt down your spreadsheet again and see if your link gives me the same. I think I need to find a body fat% calculator that doesn't involve my naturally skinny parts of me (calves+wrists), because that will throw it right off.
  • heybales
    Options
    I did one body fat% calculation online that asked for calf, wrist, waist and I got 22.5% fat.
    I'm a bit skeptical about that - don't think that's right, especially because I have a genetic tendency to not put any weight on below my elbows + knees (ie. my wrists are 15cm circumference... even when I was 10kg heavier).

I'll need to hunt down your spreadsheet again and see if your link gives me the same. I think I need to find a body fat% calculator that doesn't involve my naturally skinny parts of me (calves+wrists), because that will throw it right off.

The forearm and calf measurements are actually to estimate different types of fat being carried, since your hips and waist are in there too, as in big boned/framed, ect. The aren't expected to have much on them.

The calculator I gave is for the Covert Bailey Method - www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    Which does include more measurements, so allows for better chance of accuracy.

It's been found through some off-handed studies (studies measuring something else, but threw this in as side comments you might say) that it is actually about 3% accurate.

If you plug that 6% range into the spreadsheet, you'll see it doesn't change anything that much, so accurate enough. Especially considering all the other inaccuracies from eating food to exercising, ect.
  • salxtai
    Options
    The forearm and calf measurements are actually to estimate different types of fat being carried, since your hips and waist are in there too, as in big boned/framed, ect. The aren't expected to have much on them.

The calculator I gave is for the Covert Bailey Method - www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html
    Which does include more measurements, so allows for better chance of accuracy.

It's been found through some off-handed studies (studies measuring something else, but threw this in as side comments you might say) that it is actually about 3% accurate.

If you plug that 6% range into the spreadsheet, you'll see it doesn't change anything that much, so accurate enough. Especially considering all the other inaccuracies from eating food to exercising, ect.

Well according to that site:

27.21% (U.S. Navy Circumference Method #1 - men and women)

30.61% (U.S. Navy Circumference Method #2 - women only)

22.95% (book by Covert Bailey "Fit or Fat")

26.9% Average

I can't remember anything that I learnt in nutrition about this - Which equation/method would you put more emphasis on?
    (I'm personally thinking 30.61% is the most reasonable).

Addit: I used 30.61% in the other site (http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html) and even modifying hours to reflect uni time (12hrs rest, 9 very light, 3 light), Cal came out as ~1700.
    its 1900 if I use my height (keeping 60kg as the "current weight" for both) -- looks like 1700 might really be my limit I should be aiming for daily.
    (I'm actually getting excited at this, because I'm always finding myself hungry at around 9-10pm every night despite dinner)
  • heybales
    Options
    Well according to that site:

27.21% (U.S. Navy Circumference Method #1 - men and women)

30.61% (U.S. Navy Circumference Method #2 - women only)

22.95% (book by Covert Bailey "Fit or Fat")

26.9% Average

I can't remember anything that I learnt in nutrition about this - Which equation/method would you put more emphasis on?
    (I'm personally thinking 30.61% is the most reasonable).

Addit: I used 30.61% in the other site (http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html) and even modifying hours to reflect uni time (12hrs rest, 9 very light, 3 light), Cal came out as ~1700.
    its 1900 if I use my height (keeping 60kg as the "current weight" for both) -- looks like 1700 might really be my limit I should be aiming for daily.
    (I'm actually getting excited at this, because I'm always finding myself hungry at around 9-10pm every night despite dinner)

Well, that site asks for all those measurements, but the Covert-Bailey is the only one that uses all of them, depending on gender. So it's actually unused on the other calc's.
    The military ones are used as quick go/no-go decisions, either getting in or other reasons. So not highly accurate, I forget which way they trend towards inaccurate.

I'd actually trust the CB one. But perhaps use the avg figure.

You had been doing slightly modified right, since no exact workouts each week, until the uni ended? Getting some of the scenario's mixed up for sure at this point.
    But I think you didn't mind logging exercise and eating some back, so you weren't totally doing this method, just wanted better activity level selector?

If that is working for you, might as well keep it up. But, if desiring to get to a level amount eaten each day whether workout or not, your idea of getting activities down better and upping calories in general should work too. Because that is a bit of change to daily activity. For all our sedentary jobs, trying to replace high daily activity with specific workouts, usually can't equal the same amount of burn. Because you really gotta feed those workouts since they can take so much out of you.
  • salxtai
    Options
    Well, that site asks for all those measurements, but the Covert-Bailey is the only one that uses all of them, depending on gender. So it's actually unused on the other calc's.
    The military ones are used as quick go/no-go decisions, either getting in or other reasons. So not highly accurate, I forget which way they trend towards inaccurate.

I'd actually trust the CB one. But perhaps use the avg figure.

You had been doing slightly modified right, since no exact workouts each week, until the uni ended? Getting some of the scenario's mixed up for sure at this point.
    But I think you didn't mind logging exercise and eating some back, so you weren't totally doing this method, just wanted better activity level selector?

If that is working for you, might as well keep it up. But, if desiring to get to a level amount eaten each day whether workout or not, your idea of getting activities down better and upping calories in general should work too. Because that is a bit of change to daily activity. For all our sedentary jobs, trying to replace high daily activity with specific workouts, usually can't equal the same amount of burn. Because you really gotta feed those workouts since they can take so much out of you.

I'm happy to do whatever method gets rid of that fat, haha.
    But I had it set at 1500 but I was consistently eating over it because of hunger + also those days where you just overshoot anyways.

I rather not have to be eating back calories - requires more effort to eat after the exercise. I like the idea of staggered weekly exercise and those calories incorporated into the daily limit.
    I'm a leg bouncer in class as it is, and I try to get to the gym at least 3x a week, along with the martial arts and 30DS on most nights. I think 1700 should be fine even if I have the odd day where I really don't any HR-raising exercise.
    See how we go, I suppose!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ugh....I'm getting frustrated!!! I gained another 1/2 pound over the last 5 days. I'm wondering if my metabolism is "stuck" at low. Is that possible? I took a weight loss drug a few years ago that decreased my appetite to almost nothing and ever since then I have really had trouble loosing weight. Is it possible to permanently damage your metabolism?

I also took my measurements just in case that where the loss was and they are increased by 1/2 inch in my belly. Everything is pretty much the same.

I've had thyroid tests in the last 6 months and they are all normal. Any other ideas?

Oh and I ate at 1600ish cals for Friday, sat, sun and Mon with no exercise to see what would happen, I guess that's where the gain came from. Went back to my regular exercise routine yesterday because I was feeling like tired and lethargic and working out helps that for me.

Maybe one of you could look at my food diary and give any ideas?
  • paj315
    Options
    Oh and I also wanted to say that I don't expect immediate results. I know that healthy weight loss happens over time and I'm good with that. I really just want the gain to stop or at least to see measurements decreased.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ugh....I'm getting frustrated!!! I gained another 1/2 pound over the last 5 days. I'm wondering if my metabolism is "stuck" at low. Is that possible? I took a weight loss drug a few years ago that decreased my appetite to almost nothing and ever since then I have really had trouble loosing weight. Is it possible to permanently damage your metabolism?

I also took my measurements just in case that where the loss was and they are increased by 1/2 inch in my belly. Everything is pretty much the same.

I've had thyroid tests in the last 6 months and they are all normal. Any other ideas?

Oh and I ate at 1600ish cals for Friday, sat, sun and Mon with no exercise to see what would happen, I guess that's where the gain came from. Went back to my regular exercise routine yesterday because I was feeling like tired and lethargic and working out helps that for me.

1/2 lb is easily in the variance of a higher sodium meal or scale inaccuracy.
    But with no exercise for a few days, you know it is not just adding glucose/water stores from here on out, so that is more valid at least for real current weight, not artificially low because temp losing water weight. Think high school wrestlers trying to lose water weight before the weigh-in that night.

But as far as gaining fat from excess calories, wasn't your estimated current healthy BMR right below 1600 where you ate?

And what was your goal weight total calories?

If you add in all your other normal daily activity you had during those 4 days, probably 300-600 cal a day, that would mean your real BMR is down below 1200-1000 for any real excess calories to be available at 1600. That would be 68% of normal BMR.
    Even the RMR research where they just measured real vs calculated, there was never that much variance. And in the better studies where they used people at healthy weight already, and took into account diet and exercise, the lowered metabolism was a choice, they just ate that way to cause it basically. Not surprising, the greatest variance was for women. You are tougher gender and willing to deal with underfeeding until it feels normal! :tongue:

So I think you have seen a blip, I haven't really read up on the long-term effects of metabolism effecting med's, I just know the short term is not good. You artificially speed it up, you eat less, the body can't slow the metabolism down as it normally would for the lack of calories it is getting, so it really has to rob from muscle for glucose conversion what could normally be supplied from avg stores. It is not pretty. Oh, you lose weight, tad extra fat because metabolism is maybe 300-400 where it wants to be, but you really lose the weight from muscle. Reach goal weight and stop med's, BMR lowers, got less muscle now, and you think you'll eat at maintenance now. Surprise - weight gain.

So you had a few good days to reset things.
    Try to get the food up to the level that includes your exercise now.
    You could eat at 1600 and slowly lose glucose/water weight through an intense week of exercise, and metabolism remains or becomes suppressed again - but that won't work long term.
    So if you trust those activity levels and times, eat at that future goal, and make sure your workouts have a good rest day at least.
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, my last week where I thought would miss a bunch of workouts ending up just being 1 workout missed.
    But 2 days of totally blowing the diet, was just so hungry after the exercise I did get.
    Gotta remember to eat before I get hungry. By the time I'm hungry, too hungry, and lag time to feel full after eating.

Progress Week 4

Current BMR = 1757
    Goal calories = 2462

Average calorie intake per day = 2680
    Average Exercise burn per day = 380
    Average Net Calories = 2300
    Net above BMR - 544

Weight lost this week = 1.0 lbs

I finally did my measurements too for the Covert-Baily BF% estimate, last time was 1/19, so 8 wks ago. Could be within 2% correct, or I'm probably more in range of maybe 3-5% over estimated. http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
    I guess I kind of confirmed what I sensed was happening. My legs for the 3-4 hr bike rides are losing muscle for just the 1hr spin classes.
    Lost 5.4 lbs during that time.
    Lost 2.8 lbs BF.
    Lost 2.6 lbs LBM.
    Inches on avg is 96.9% of starting sizes for waist/hips/thigh/calf/forearm. (current size/starting size)

I don't think I'm eating enough carbs, or not at the right time, or need to cut down the intensity of my spin, or throw another rest day in. Protein is fine.

Should be a normal week coming up, I'm going to try to stick to calories and see if still very hungry, I'm thinking I may have raised metabolism. My 4 weeks of doing low-volume weight lifting almost twice a week had added on muscle for sure to other areas, I increased weight the first 3 weeks. This last workout I left the same weight since I want to plateau there for a bit.
  • paj315
    Options

1/2 lb is easily in the variance of a higher sodium meal or scale inaccuracy.
    But with no exercise for a few days, you know it is not just adding glucose/water stores from here on out, so that is more valid at least for real current weight, not artificially low because temp losing water weight. Think high school wrestlers trying to lose water weight before the weigh-in that night.

But as far as gaining fat from excess calories, wasn't your estimated current healthy BMR right below 1600 where you ate?

And what was your goal weight total calories?

If you add in all your other normal daily activity you had during those 4 days, probably 300-600 cal a day, that would mean your real BMR is down below 1200-1000 for any real excess calories to be available at 1600. That would be 68% of normal BMR.
    Even the RMR research where they just measured real vs calculated, there was never that much variance. And in the better studies where they used people at healthy weight already, and took into account diet and exercise, the lowered metabolism was a choice, they just ate that way to cause it basically. Not surprising, the greatest variance was for women. You are tougher gender and willing to deal with underfeeding until it feels normal! :tongue:

So I think you have seen a blip, I haven't really read up on the long-term effects of metabolism effecting med's, I just know the short term is not good. You artificially speed it up, you eat less, the body can't slow the metabolism down as it normally would for the lack of calories it is getting, so it really has to rob from muscle for glucose conversion what could normally be supplied from avg stores. It is not pretty. Oh, you lose weight, tad extra fat because metabolism is maybe 300-400 where it wants to be, but you really lose the weight from muscle. Reach goal weight and stop med's, BMR lowers, got less muscle now, and you think you'll eat at maintenance now. Surprise - weight gain.

So you had a few good days to reset things.
    Try to get the food up to the level that includes your exercise now.
    You could eat at 1600 and slowly lose glucose/water weight through an intense week of exercise, and metabolism remains or becomes suppressed again - but that won't work long term.
    So if you trust those activity levels and times, eat at that future goal, and make sure your workouts have a good rest day at least.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes my bmr is (should be?) just under 1600, so I guess the 1/2 pound couldn't be from actual fat. I did weight lifting yesterday along with my spin class so maybe is just water from the muscle re-building.

I'm aiming for 1943, I haven't actually got it up that far yet, working on it though!
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. Yes my bmr is (should be?) just under 1600, so I guess the 1/2 pound couldn't be from actual fat. I did weight lifting yesterday along with my spin class so maybe is just water from the muscle re-building.

I'm aiming for 1943, I haven't actually got it up that far yet, working on it though!

Should weigh after a rest day where you eat normal, no high sodium if at all possible.
    Day after a workout easily adds water to muscles repairing, plus the extra water drank for heavy cardio workouts, plus the imbalance in electrolytes potentially. Some things give false up, some false down. Best to avoid.
    If you don't have a rest day to weigh the morning after it, that's a problem too.
  • salxtai
    Options
    , I'm going to try to stick to calories and see if still very hungry, I'm thinking I may have raised metabolism. My 4 weeks of doing low-volume weight lifting almost twice a week had added on muscle for sure to other areas, I increased weight the first 3 weeks. This last workout I left the same weight since I want to plateau there for a bit.

I've noticed I've been getting hungry a lot more consistently over the past 2 weeks, ever since I started purposely doing heavier lifting with free weights rather than just machines - could really just be that you've upped metabolism. I think that might be what happened to me.

Spin class also sometimes mimic HIIT training, so that can also could be raising the metabolism. Maybe even enhancing the effects the strength training is having on your metabolism as it is.

Just a thought.
  • heybales
    Options
    I've noticed I've been getting hungry a lot more consistently over the past 2 weeks, ever since I started purposely doing heavier lifting with free weights rather than just machines - could really just be that you've upped metabolism. I think that might be what happened to me.

Spin class also sometimes mimic HIIT training, so that can also could be raising the metabolism. Maybe even enhancing the effects the strength training is having on your metabolism as it is.

I agree. But what's nice is the calorie burn from weight lifting, doesn't get overeaten usually like some exercise can.
    If I get the protein shake in me within 30 min, I'm fine with rest of the night's food level.
    If I wait too long or miss it because dinner was close anyway, much hungrier rest of the night.

And I finally did do the spin class closer to the intervals the instructor is trying to do. I usually just stayed at such a high level the whole time, because it just felt good. But this time I allowed HR to back down to aerobic levels as instructed.

I did the math for the past 2 months, the intense cardio was using up my glucose stores over several days, resulting in one of the final days probably getting a mere 195 cal of energy from muscle breakdown, and that would weigh 0.325 lbs in a week, and over 8 weeks would weigh 2.6lbs. Now, probably not that consistent, but I did have several big weeks in there where the 2 spin sessions and 2 jogging sessions were really a bit much for deficit eating. No problem at maintenance. But I see how I've sabotaged myself many times in the past.

So I'm trying to decide if I can really back off a bit and go slower, even though I enjoy pushing it to that level, or just take another rest day in the week, which will probably be my choice.
  • salxtai
    Options
    I did the math for the past 2 months, the intense cardio was using up my glucose stores over several days, resulting in one of the final days probably getting a mere 195 cal of energy from muscle breakdown, and that would weigh 0.325 lbs in a week, and over 8 weeks would weigh 2.6lbs. Now, probably not that consistent, but I did have several big weeks in there where the 2 spin sessions and 2 jogging sessions were really a bit much for deficit eating. No problem at maintenance. But I see how I've sabotaged myself many times in the past.

So I'm trying to decide if I can really back off a bit and go slower, even though I enjoy pushing it to that level, or just take another rest day in the week, which will probably be my choice.

Kudos to you for taking time to work that out - I'm too lazy.
    Food in < energy out = wt loss. Or muscle gain, by the looks of it.

I'd go rest day: intensity stops you from losing what you've achieved.
    You could go alternating intensity each week, but that might prove more annoying than helpful.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Goal calories =1800
    Start wt last wednesday = 171

Avg cal consumed = 1950
    Avg exercise =221
    Avg net this week = 1728

End wt today = 170.6

Only .4lbs but I'm happy enough! I think I need to tighten it up a little more maybe to push over the 1/2 lb/week threshold.
  • heybales
    Options
    Goal calories =1800
    Start wt last wednesday = 171

Avg cal consumed = 1950
    Avg exercise =221
    Avg net this week = 1728

End wt today = 170.6

Only .4lbs but I'm happy enough! I think I need to tighten it up a little more maybe to push over the 1/2 lb/week threshold.

Excellent. Appears you are having no problem eating at higher calorie level! :tongue:

True on that 150 extra avg daily, that's almost 1/3 lb week. Schedule is a killer on what to eat sometimes.