Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, I did buy some Greek yogurt that I can't get here near Toronto: Chobani and some other ones like coffee flavoured with chocolate chips, for a treat :)

Glad you were able to get some - and totally didn't realize it wasn't available in Canada. Enjoy, pretty good protein kick for not a lot of cals. I like to have one at lunch everyday. Plain vanillas my favorite.

Sue legal love the truthful logging goal, I've been working n this too, write it all down the good the bad and the ugly. Lifting makes ^me so hungry!!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    1. Lift three days a week.
    2. Protein min. 80 g 5 days a week.
    3. Calories goals 5 days a week.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Just clarifying... I'm not giving up caffeine completely LOL just cutting back - 2 cups a day instead of 6+ :wink: :laugh:

I really need to get to bed...
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Top of the morning to you ladies....

Red, am sorry about your relationship, but it seems like you and yourself are going to have a fab relationship - take care of yourself first :flowerforyou:

Dou, for the DL, I use mixed grip...but as the weights go higher, I find I may lose my grip...looking into purchasing lifting grips/straps

Congrats to the last challenge's winners! Hooray!!

Yester I lifted, but it was not 100%...the gym was a bit crowded and messed with my tempo...I hope to do better tomorrow. I am looking forward to tonight - TRX Suspension Training, followed by Core then Zumba classes!!

I will think about my 3 challenge goals and tabulate them.

Lift on ladies!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    Options

Congrats to the last challenge's winners! Hooray!!

BOOM!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    (((sigh))) another day

Today is arm and leg day.

I have never used a mixed grip. What's the purpose of mixed grip?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I use a mixed grip on my deadlifts because I cannot do enough reps of my deadlifts, in a single set, without it (i.e. I feel the barbell "slipping" if I don't do mixed grip!).
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    So, for example, let's say you are doing 50 lb BB for deadlifts, regular overhand grip, no problem. So, you want to move up to 60 lb BB, but when you do, all of a sudden you can't get in enough reps because your grip can't hold on for all the reps. Move to a mixed grip, and maybe you can do 60 lb BB - AND BEYOND!

I do try and do a regular overhand grip if I am doing low-weight/high-volume deadlifts (say sets of 15- or 20-)....but, otherwise, I'm stuck with a mixed grip to lift higher weight.
  • alexandriamarino
    alexandriamarino Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To have goals in writing:

1) Lift 3x/week
    2) Run 3x/week (only counts if at least 2 miles)
    3) log truthfully all month, aim for average net calories of 1400

Finished stage 1, b2 today. was able to do a leeeeettle more on everything. What a fun realization to do jackknife and realize how much fat your abdominal muscles are buried in :laugh: usually can't feel them!

Really impressed with your determination redlipstick, i would have been elbow deep in ice cream, even though it sounds like it was the right decision....
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Dou- mixed grip means overhand your nondominant and underhand your dominant hand- you will be able to liftheavier and longer sets.
    I just got a grip strengthener to work on my grip.
    Patty
  • Kikimonkey1
    Kikimonkey1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely lifting ladies! Thanks to all for the warm welcome!:smile:

I'm jumping right into this! I'll have to jump in and out all summer due to travel《
    but I have a plan for that!

Here are 3 lofty goals for this week:
    1 ) 125g of protein per day (hard as a vegetarian, but doable with creativity)
    2) Lift 3x this week
    3) Log accurately on weekdays (weekends Sat/Sun are tough to log at all at this point)

So as a newb, tomorrow is deadlifts...1B1!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will definitely try the mixed grip next time because yesterday the barbell was very close to falling!
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have bee ntrying to keep up here, but you gusy are so busy!

I had to cut 1a5 a little short because the step-ups were aggrivating my foot. Same might happen today with lunges. I might drop the weight on those type of moves for a little while. Give it some time to recover. I found someone willing to lend me their bicycle, so thats awesome. I will be able to get back out there in the sunshine world for cardio.

My goals for June are: log honestly, get over 100g protien, and get in at least 3 hours exercise/week.

I am on a running restriction due to a 4/27/14 foot sprain, and usually I plan like 6 hours of exercise between running, yoga, lifting, and spinning. This month, just trying to stay active while I recover my foot.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't keep up with you busy badasses. Congrats Runz and Red!!

Red, sorry to hear of your breakup. Take care of yourself and look forward to new & better things :flowerforyou:

Manic, high-five! Sounds like you're shifting your shape. Even if the numbers aren't nice, I would take random compliments any day!

Jamacain, sorry for the MIL drama. I hope it blows over soon.

Barbell, that's awesome! R&R ftw :)

And welcome to all newbies!

I'm still here plugging along. Not having trouble sticking to workouts these days, which is good. However summer has come in from out of nowhere and weekend drinkz and eatz are my downfall. How do you all stick to your goals over the weekend? I always end up logging nothing more than Saturday's breakfast before I totally "forget" MFP for the day. All of a sudden, it's Sunday night, and I'm wondering why I didn't log and trying to remember what I ate so I can still see my weekly totals :ohwell:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Willlift! Thanks. HIGH FIVING! I am feeling good. I have had 3 compliments in the past week about looking slimmer or something about weight loss. :blushing: I don't have a problem logging. It just has become a routine. Maybe you can make it a routine to sit down before bed time to log???

Thanks for explaining the grip. I am up to 95 pounds. Should I am not concerned with my grip. Should I be switching up at this point or not?

Another question. The dreaded step ups..... Should I be concerned with low step with a greater barbell weight or higher step ? For the life of me the bench is too high . My knee is greater than 90 degrees, and I tend to lean forward to pull up when I begin to get tired. Form goes downhill.

TMI follows. You know I have been constipated with all this protein. WEEEELLL, last night I found Dulcolax in my cabinet. It said gentle enough to use every day blah blah 1-3 pills. I took THREE and can't stop going! I barely made it through my workout this am. And I don't have any flatulence today. :laugh: That's a good thing or it could get embarrassing. :noway: I think one itty bitty tiny pill will do fine the next time around.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the compliments Manic and maybe on the other stuff too? ;)

WillLift, I always have one day on the weekend as a cheat day and I will often log breakfast and lunch but then give up. We go out or to a friend's for dinner and I find it too hard to calculate when I haven't cooked the food or it's a restaurant that doesn't provide nutritionals. I am fine with that, but I know it messes up my weekly totals.

KikiMonkey, I'm a vegetarian and I can usually get 125g or more of protein a day as long as I include high protein items like cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, protein powder, high protein pita...But then I get bored of routinely eating those things, so one day a week I will usually still log but not worry as much about protein and just have what I feel like. Still healthy but just not as focused on protein. It's definitely harder as a veg.

Today is a rest day for me and I am getting my hair done. I hate rest days though because I really miss being able to eat those 300-400 exercise calories. I have already gone over by 155 calories cause I am just so hungry. My rest days are set at 1500 calories.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will definitely try the mixed grip next time because yesterday the barbell was very close to falling!

You might want to take a look at VersaGripps. I know everyone wants better grip strength, but for myself, I know I'm never going to compete, and I want to lift the weight. VersaGripps work. I am still increasing grip strength but more slowly than if I was trying with chalk only.

Oh and I use a mixed grip but I switch off. If I reverse my right hand on the first set, I reverse my left on the second and then right on the third.

Congrats winners, and Red, I know it's owie right now, but I hear you taking good care of yourself! Bravo!

Mary you're awesome!!

I got my lift on this morning and was pretty pleased. No PRs but I did static lunges with the weight I finished NROL. My deads were great - I could feel I nailed the form. The rest was good too and I was sweating the whole time. I'm within macros tonight, not quite as much protein as I wish but pretty close and my logging is honest today.

Busy day at work, and I'm up early again tomorrow, so it's bedtime for me. Rock on, ladies!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Loggin on here to say I hot my goal of 90 + protein. 100 g today and 1554 cals. woohoo

:glasses: SAM! :smokin: are you ever gonna answer me about the Premier Protein shake? Do you like it?

I'm drinking one now. I like them very much!!. May be cheaper to blend my own but these are pretty darn good and the travel well.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Did far better with my protein and calories today, and I got to the gym. I decided to do one more rotation in Basic Training 1. I'll start Basic training 2 next week. Moved up all my weights but skipped intervals. I'm a bad girl like that.

I use mixed grip for DLs for anything over 100 lbs.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Lots going on here!
    Sue, way to go! I love it when a workout just "clicks"!
    I ate my feelings today- in Talenti Caramel Cookie Crumble Gelato :ohwell: it was within my cals, but not great for the macros. Still hit my BW in protein though.
    It got me to thinking about why I ended up obese to begin with. It's so easy to slip back into old habits if I'm not careful.

****I will keep track of scores if everyone can keep track of their goals for a challenge. We might as well count this as week 1!****