Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @pmagnanifit. I certainly empathise with the donut thing. I too can be very "all or nothing" in my approach, when all I want is a healthy balance between the two. Should be so easy, but isn't! Stick with it. A "c" is not so bad. Room for improvement but a long way from failure!!

Just done an hour's circuit training and half an hour on the crosstrainer. Now completely pooped!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @pmagnanifit and it's good to see you. I'd say weird that you don't like donuts but it's okay. ;-) There are some foods where I can get in those moods and just eat more than necessary, want to keep eating more yet I don't really like it. Not sure what it is about those items or well, it's more the emotional state involved than the actual item.

Not much to say about LA yet. I spent 8 hours at work yesterday. Kinda weird cause the one who told me that was my first day seemed a little surprised to see me but they have a lot going on right now. There were at least 2 new people and some have been there for just a few months. I helped one put away freight and soon as she saw my name tag she was like "well you probably know more anyways" because I've been with the company 3.5 years and she's been there for less than 4 months. She was nice though. It's the same company but the layout of the store is very different. Why we all raised eyebrows when corporate stopped letting us decorate areas our own way under the idea that if the stores looked the same it would help customers. The stores are already too different for that to work. *shrugs*

Been to the gym once. I've got to figure out my lifting days but I don't have my schedule yet. I have today off then work tomorrow, and should know my schedule more then. Plan is to lift 4 days a week with Wendler's but might have OHP day be OHP and Power Cleans, as I want to work on those even though Anytime Fitness is not the best gym for that kind of lifting.

I did lift the once. Had a guy suggest I look up Scott Mendelson, who is a very strong guy. It was the only "powerlifter" he knew but said I should look him up as the gym is often looking for female lifters. It was funny cause I didn't even lift heavy that day, just 135 squats. Nice boost to the ego with the first visit to the gym here, lol.

I'm at starbucks now. Sister has internet but we need a wireless router so I can use it too instead of nabbing her laptop. I have to review 15 stories for the site I moderate, by the 15th, so need to get them all then write notes. At least over here there was parking. That's the rough part about the change. Parking by work is expensive. Going to have to figure out the area so I can not break the bank just going to work. I hope we get a new apartment soon too because I would like to get the rest of my stuff before August, but we'll have to wait and see.

Novel later. I'll keep you all updated and of course, lifting will happen this week too. Got to get ready for the meet (still hope to go up to oregon for it).
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    Hip magnan.....I am glad you returned to lifting.

I will diet my bloat away post-surgery....likely not a total low-carb plan, but for sure low-carb for the first few days to get rid of cravings.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome back pmag.

I went to a gym here in UK yesterday, combat later today (so excited!). So much chocolate and goodies here - feel some weight gain coming on :/ Will try to be strong! LOL

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Planned to bike today- but worked instead.
    I took my girls to see a production of the high school musical- we had fun
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Ooh you ladies have been busy!

pmagnanifit - I have PCOS and recently (February maybe?!) started a low carb diet, it has helped immensely with weightloss and acne, although too early to tell for the other nasty parts of PCOS (hair growth in particular)

Dawn - glad you're there safely, I'm sure there will be a bit of a transition period while you're getting it all figured out, but I'm excited to see how you get on with 5/3/1 - it seems like a good program (also I did the conversion - "just" 135 squats, haha, 61kg is a long way away for my stupid squats right now

Kimi - that is a compliment and a half! I guess you never see your own back!!

Training today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 45kg - I videoed these, will edit off my sweaty face pressing record and then upload them to Eat, Train, Progress for a form check - would appreciate any comments you ladies have too

Bench: 5x5 @ 32.5kg - these were ok, some were insanely off line, but I mainly kept it to the same spot on my chest each time. I am benching to the bottom of my bra strap - is this a little low?

Row: 5x5 @ 32.5kg - still doing these from the bottom rung of the cage, ROM is pretty low, but at least I'm not straining my back.

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Happy Monday, again!

Beautiful weather here lately.

Saturday I did Strong, Stage 6, Workout B, #3 - managed to get up to 55 lbs on the squat to box. Hoping my technique is improving and will allow me to lift more weight gradually.

Yesterday I ran 4.3 miles in the morning. In the afternoon we walked to a country fair fundraiser for the elementary school. The kids had fun doing pony rides, bounce houses, and getting ice cream. Including the run, I hit 19000 steps. I ate 1650 calories but then woke up at night hungry :#

Today I did Strong, Stage 6, Workout A, #4
    Spidermans - 6 each side
    Standing cable chop - 2x12@35 lbs
    Deadlift - 3x8@103 lbs
    Bench press - 3x8@50 lbs
    Suspended lunge - 3x8@16 lbs. Can't really figure out the difference between suspended lunges and RFESS. They feel the same to me.
    Dead stop row - 3x8@30 lbs
    Intervals x 10 minutes

Pmagnanifit - 3 months of Strong Curves and 2 months of NROLFW sounds better than a C to me. Sorry you are having trouble getting back in control of eating. Bet the depression has a lot to do with that.
    Dawn - awesome update! Glad everything is going smoothly with the move! How far away is the meet?
    Kim - great run! And how nice your friend noticed and said something! That sort of thing can really make your day.
    Beeps - two splits in one day? You are so strong!

Told my husband that I was frustrated that despite being almost 6 months into a lifting routine that I still feel so weak. I know I shouldn't compare to others, but I just feel so far away. He was like "How can you be weak, you workout all the time?" He just doesn't get it. He goes to the gym, does a few machines, a few pull ups, dips, some ab work, runs on the treadmill for 20 minutes and is in great shape, never has to worry about eating or weight. Not fair!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Aigre....you are NOT "weak". I look at your numbers and am impressed! Did you write down what you were lifting six months ago?!?! That might help you see the progress you have made!

Dawn, how did the move to L.A. go?

Today is a lifting day! BOOM!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    ^^^ what she said.
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    So.......went to the gym this morning - squat rack was busy, so I did a bodycombat class instead. I used to do combat about 3 or 4 times a week, but I haven't done a single class since I discovered the joys of lifting. So it was a nice change to get back in there and kick a bit!! I could feel different bits of me working!!

Got showered, and changed for work, and realised I had left my shoes at home. I have some sandals at work, but they SO don't go with what I am wearing so I am going to have to just suck it up and look kooky for the day. Thankfully I have no important people to see today, so it could have been worse, but I HATE not being dressed "properly" for the office! Waaaaahhhh!!!!

• AigreDoux
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I had a nice run this morning, 3.2 miles, kept my heart rate in the 140s - so much easier since it was cool!

Kim - LOL about the shoes. I have 2 extra pairs of shoes in my office and one in the car for such occasions. Glad the Body Combat was fun. It's nice to switch it up every once in a while.

Beeps - I think the disadvantage of the Strong workouts is that Alwyn switches things up pretty frequently. So harder to see progress vs. doing Stronglifts or whatever. Because it's hard to compare a goblet squat to a back squat to a box to a back squat with pause, etc. At least it is for me as a newbie. I like the switching up because I feel like it prevents me from developing bad habits, and I like trying new things, but yeah. And I feel a little frustrated that "newbie gains" are supposed to be over soon and I haven't really noticed any :)

Stephie - somehow I keep missing your posts! Sounds like a good workout. Will look to find your video, not because I have any advice but just to see how to do it.

Anyway, I have a lot of confidence in my abilities in other aspects of my life, but my athletic ability has never been my talent. It's good for me and I still hope that eventually I'll see results, so I'll keep going. But definitely jealous of Dawn's "easy" 135 lb squats whereas 100 lb squats or even 80 lb squats seem just so so far off to me! :)
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - I keep missing your posts too, I think we post at very similar times :)

My video is up on Eat, Train, Progress form checker, they were very nice about my squat, so I'm feeling better about it now! Always looking to improve, so if you lot have any thoughts I'm open to them!

I think you're amazing for running, I truly can't. Can't even run a mile!

It is hard to see progression in strong. Not only becuase of switching up the exercises, but also with the constantly changing reps/sets. It is easier to see the progression in Stronglifts where everything apart from the weight on the bar is staying the same!

• SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ohhhmerrrgerrrd! What a crummy TIRED day! I meant to check in here yesterday but got sucked into some stuff at the end of the day.

Julie - I live in Duluth, so literally across the state from Alexandria and that area. I've only been here for 5 years - moved here from Iowa - so I'm not super familiar with all the towns, but I've at least HEARD of the ones you mentioned :) We bought our van in Alexandria a couple years ago. I have no idea how I got so much done in an hour!! I know I didn't wait in between sets...so maybe that could be why, but that's still a lot!

Aigre - It gets COLD here in the winter. A few years ago, we kept getting "arctic blasts" and it was like minus 40 all damn winter. It's is supposed to be in the 50s and rainy here until Thursday. Then the weatherman says it will warm up. We'll see. In Minnesota, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. On another note, I don't think your weak. I think we all probably have days or weeks where we feel like we aren't doing enough, or doing it heavy enough. I definitely having one of those weeks right now - but you are strong and you will get stronger.

Kim - I really enjoy HIIT, but I've never tried it off a cardio machine (treadmill, stat bike, elliptical). I've been told that HIIT is pretty effective, so hopefully it will help you reach some of your goals.

Beeps - Your tenacity is inspiring! How on earth do you find time to do TWO splits in one day??

Pmag - Nice to meet you! I don't like doughnuts either. Or chocolate. Sounds like you're doing better than a C. And doing something is infinitely better than doing nothing. You're on the right track.

Dawn - Glad you made it to LA! I think it's awesome that someone approached you at the gym! No one really talks to anyone else at mine. It's all business lol.

I've really been slacking on lifting (or doing anything really) this last week. I only did two workouts last week instead of three (it was TOM and didn't feel up to it), and this week I already skipped Monday. I feel super weak, too, and SO TIRED!!! I almost couldn't stay awake on the 30 minute drive to work this morning. Had to get a caffeinated SODA (don't like coffee), and I basically quit soda in November (except for the very occasional non-caffeinated one). When I hit the gym today, I felt really *kitten* and weak. I just couldn't force myself to push any harder...

NROLFW Stage 2, workout A2.

front squat push press - 7@75, 5@75 - I think I effed these numbers up. MATHS! Also I hate this move. I can barely do it because I worry about 1) hurting my knees in the squat, 2) squat form, 3) holding the bar so it doesn't hurt my left thumb/wrist area and 4) pushing into the press makes me wobby in the middle. I might default to just doing sitting overhead presses and squats separately. It's not worth hurting myself over.
    Step-up 10@60, 10@70
    dumbbell one-point row 12@20 10@25 I don't do this exactly as illustrated because my balance on one leg like that is not that great and I can only get one or two in before I have to reset my position.
    Static lunge (rear foot elevated) 10@20, 10@25 (no elevation because I tweaked my knee somewhere in here)
    push-ups 10@0x2
    planks 4x30sec
    horizontal wood chop 10@25, 10@30
    plus 10 minutes walking slooooooowwwwly.

Sorry for the book! Wanted to make sure to respond to everyone!
  • SuperMelinator
    Options
    Can I add you guys to my friends?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sure!....put up a "photo" in your profile first, though, SuperM!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Back from the gym:

Squats: 5x5 @ 47.5kg feeling more difficult now, definitely had to take a few deep breaths once I'd re-racked!

OHP: 5x5 @ 27.5kg actually not too bad. Probably going to fail at 30, but at least these went ok!

Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 65kg

Feeling pretty rough in general, sore throat and a bit worn down. I think it's due to my complete lack of good eating. I am shoving anything and everything down my throat which is just ridiculous.

Tonight while I watch the football I am going to look up some recipes, plan out my meals and get my online food shop done. At least that will take back some control.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

Stephie - Yes, we must post at the same time! Though I think we are in very different time zones! Funny! Your squat looks great to me. Sorry you aren't feeling well, hope you are better soon.

Supermel - nice workout! You are very strong! I'm around Boston so we definitely get cold and snow in the winter, but nothing like -40 for days on end. The weather here these last few days has been really spectacular though. Waiting for the other shoe to drop and the hot/hazy/humid to come in. Happy to be "friends" but I don't really follow that feed all that much.

Today I did Strong, Stage 6, Workout B, #4
    Suspended jackknife 2x10
    Standing cable lift 2x10@35 lbs
    Back squat with pause/box/etc. I did 3x6@49 lbs. Sometimes paused and sometimes sat on the box and sometimes didn't. That probably wasn't the most consistent thing to do, but I did manage to get through the sets without doing my ridiculous good morning moves.
    Chin ups with band. Thought 4 was my limit, but eeked out a 5th rep on the last set. Progress! 2x4, 1x5@ 100 lbs assist
    RFESS 3x6@24lbs each leg
    DB neutral grip bench press 3x6@25 lbs
    Intervals x 10 minutes
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Adjusting does take a while. We are meeting with the person who is looking for an apartment for us tomorrow. Would like to get the rest of my stuff sooner instead of later.

Stephie - I do remember when first lifitn and thinking how heavy 135 was. Wanted to get there. Then started low bar and it felt heavy again. Now trying power cleans and struggle with 65, lol.

Lifted last night but different location. The other isn't open 24 hours. Both had squat rack, so that is good. In 5/3/1 it has ohp day last but I put it first instead.

Ohp 2x8 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55 then 1x5 @ 60, 65, 70
    Power clean attempts with bar then 2x5 @ 65
    Seated row 3x8 @ 70
    Lat pull 3x8 @ 70

Was going to do squats today but stayed home with the cat instead. I will do the next though. Depends when I go around work schedule.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Oh, and the meet is early October but haven't signed up for it yet. Need to get one together, figure out requesting time off and ask for plane ticket for birthday. Would start peak cycle in August if go for that one, which being a world comp would be really cool to attend. Hoping it works out.
  • SuperMelinator
    Options
    Yay I have a profile pic!