Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,938 Member
    Options
    I did lift, today.

And, heading into week 3 of "diet" and I am about 2.8 lbs down, which I am happy with.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Squats yesterday - pretty pleased as got 5 sets of 10 at 110lbs (50kg). Previously this was my max when squatting truly to depth (hips lower than knees). Then front squats, 4 sets of 10 at 90lbs. Trying to convince myself that I can actually do a reasonable max squat if I can do that kind of volume lol.

Bench and MASSAGE today - woohoo.

Meeting up with (new) trainer Saturday - he's already helped a lot.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sam - yay for food!

Aigre - nice workouts there. Envying the bumper plates. I haven't measured in months but doubt I'd get great results. Why is it so hard to get below 130? I feel your frustration there as I'm still in the 130's too.

Beeps - it sounds interesting.

Early shift today then made myself go to gym after resting a little as I had a massive headache. Forgot phone so didn't have my music, which meant listening to the people around as before 7 pm means not only others around but often training sessions. Some were interesting to listen to like the pair of women who worked with the one trainer. Focused on legs tonight though still lifting lighter since working to get consistent again.

Squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 155
    Good Morning - 3x10 @ 75
    Curtsy Lunge - 3x8 @ 75
    Glute Cable Kickback - 3x8 @ 20
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Dawn - I love the bumper plates. Even though I have no desire to do any Olympic lifting. Just like how they feel and how they look big to make me look like I'm lifting more weight (alone in my house)! That's how ridiculous I am! Nice workout!

Jo - glad you're getting a new coach!

Beeps - how funny about the Venus Factor! Going to something that has worked in the past is a great idea though.

Anyway, another Strong Curves workout today. Still playing with the bumper plates.
    Hip thrusts w pause - 3x20@58 lbs
    One arm DB row - 3x12@25 lbs
    Back squat - 2x12, 1x15@58 lbs
    Bench press - 3x8@58 lbs
    Romanian deadlift - 3x15@64 lbs
    Side lying abduction - 1x30 each side
    Front plank - 75s
    Side plank - 30s each side

Feeling good and sleeping well lately. Tomorrow I'm taking half a day off and then I'll be off the rest of the week. Brain is already in holiday mode, though!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Great squats, jo!

Nice workouts, Dawn and Aigre!

I did lift, today. BOOM!

Tomorrow is "rest" day.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Deadlift day - bit of a struggle. Not sure why. Anyway, 5 x 10 @ 180lbs, romanians 4 x 10 @ 132lbs, face pulls and walking lunges (4 x 40 with 10kg medicine ball above head :s )

Took forever!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, jo_m, significant weight you move around. Nicely done!

I lifted yesterday. And I am going to try a group-strength class tonight, after work....some gf's are begging me to go.

I am not THAT excited because: a) I don't seem to have ANY energy for evening workouts (anymore....at my age??!?!?); and b) I have Saturday morning cardio and will barely even have 12 hours between this evening strength workout and tomorrow's cardio.

But, I said I would give it ONE try. And, I am out of town the next 2 x Fridays, anyway....so, I guess today is the day!

BOOM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies,
    I was out of the gym for a week because I worked early last week and then late this week, so it came out to one week out of the gym. I got back in today after having a hypersomnia flare and sleeping for twelve hours between Wednesday and Thursday. A body at rest stays at rest. I dragged my butt in. Backed off the weight a bit and got it done.
    DL 2x15@75, 2x15 push up, 2x15@15 side lunge, 2x15@ 22.5 SA cable Row
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Beeps I'm the same with evening workouts. That said, I find classes more motivational once I'm in it, so I never used to struggle with my evening combat class. The struggle was getting there, not getting it done :D Yesterday I had to do a quick catch up cardio session (skipped Weds) after work which was yuk - ran for 20 mins but ankle was painful (tendonitis) so got on the bike and did intervals for another 10 mins. Hate the bike. Only a quick one as had to get the youngest kid to cricket.

Off to my powerlifting club today - meeting with trainer to tweak a few things and get bench day done. Could be interesting as still sore from DLs :/ Be good to catch up and really define some goals and a plan. Then.... Christmas shopping!

Btw, a belated happy Thanksgiving to those of you celebrating!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Yesterday was busy...I skipped breakfast except for my skim milk latte. Went easy on hors d'oeuvres (kept mostly to the shrimp cocktail). Still blew my macros with 2 slices of pie and 3 glasses of wine. Oh well! Was busy cooking all morning but managed to get my workout in piecemeal. Single leg glute bridges while playing with the kids, walking lunges back and forth to the shower, etc.

Today I am back on plan and got in a 4.5 mile run. Weather was 45 degrees and raining, so it wasn't the most pleasant run ever, mostly because my glasses kept fogging and getting rain on them. Next time I run in the rain I'll wear a baseball cap.

Tomorrow I am gearing up for another party on Sunday, my brother's and sister-in-law's baby shower. More cooking, more eating, oof :/
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good weekend. Before I get to the gym mess, first there is the good stuff: writing.

I made it to 50,000 words written in novels during November at a write-in this afternoon that I barely made it to after work today. Worked on the fantasy novel, which has just over 40,000 words now. The contemporary YA has 10,000.

Made it to the gym after write in for some generic lifting. I need to get consistent again and I have to decide if I can afford the meet that is coming in January, along with the IPF membership.

squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135 and with belt 3x5 @ 160
    good morning - 3x10 @ 95
    deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 165 and with belt 3x5 @ 185

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Belated happy thanksgiving to all of you Americans :) I hope you found a balance between over indulgence and deprivation!

It's Monday, and I am BACK!

I have my breakfast and lunch made and in the fridge at work, brought my protein shake in for after gym, brought my gym kit in so I can go and get on with Strong, and I do not have a milky/sugary coffee in my hand right now!

Have set my calories to 1600, aiming to do lower carb breakfast and lunch, and then a "normal" family dinner (which for us is usually something I've made like a lasagne, casserole, cottage pie, enchiladas, that type of thing, although sometimes it's freezer food like chicken nuggets :) )

Already hungry so off to retrieve my chorizo and egg breakfast casserole! Have a great day
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Back from the gym - I have restarted Strong (why the hell not 'eh!)

So today was Phase 1, Workout A

Plank: 50 sec, 60 sec - I had to take a brief knee in both sets but for less than a second. This is much improved from first time round

Bird dogs: 4 x 15 sec - really focused on keeping my back straight, I have a huge tendancy to arch

Goblet squats: 2 x 12 @ 16kg
    3 point row: 2 x 12/12 @ 10kg - felt my low back far too much in these, need to sort out back position

Step-ups: 2 x 12/12 with body weight
    Push ups: 2 x 12 @ #7 on smith machine - rough height is where legs meet hips!

Finished off with sled pushes @ sled + 20kg for 3 intervals. I was aiming for 4, but thought I was going to hurl so had a stretch instead :)

It's good to be back
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Welcome back, Stephie! Fun to see you doing Strong again. I sort of want to repeat it just to see how much I have improved. I just ate my breakfast but chorizo egg casserole still sounds yummy.

Dawn - awesome writing!

Anyway, I did another session of Strong Curves (the last in the 5-8 weeks block) on Saturday. I used 64 lbs for hip thrusts (3x20 with 3 second pause) and really felt the burn! Squats also at 64 lbs 3x12. Doesn't sound like much but it is greater volume than I was doing even at the end of Strong, so happy with that.

Yesterday I did 6.1 miles run, and felt good with a slowish 10:20 min/mile pace. The rest of the day was spent celebrating my brother's and his wife's baby shower. Stressful and I didn't hit my macros, but I don't think I went too far over on calories.

Weight is pretty stable around the 133-134 mark. But even though I know it isn't accurate, the body fat % on my scale has trended down over the past month since I've been tracking it. I hope that means something other than randomness.

Rest day for me today. Glutes/hams are still a bit sore. Will try to get in some steps to flush that out.

Happy Monday, everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »

I made it to 50,000 words written in novels during November at a write-in this afternoon that I barely made it to after work today. Worked on the fantasy novel, which has just over 40,000 words now. The contemporary YA has 10,000.

What does this mean?!?!? I am reading the words, but not understanding the meaning....and I feel like an idiot for asking....but, tell me what this is trying to communicate?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Back from the gym - I have restarted Strong (why the hell not 'eh!)

Agreed! BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    W

Anyway, I did another session of Strong Curves (the last in the 5-8 weeks block) on Saturday. I used 64 lbs for hip thrusts (3x20 with 3 second pause) and really felt the burn! Squats also at 64 lbs 3x12. Doesn't sound like much but it is greater volume than I was doing even at the end of Strong, so happy with that.

Rest day for me today. Glutes/hams are still a bit sore. Will try to get in some steps to flush that out.

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I lifted this morning. And, I kept the pounds off that I lost in Friday's fast...so, I did eat really low-calorie Saturday and Sunday, but it meant that even with water-swollen muscle recovery, the bloat stayed away. GREAT!

I will lift tomorrow and that will be all the lifting I can squish in this week....gf-trip thurs/fri/sat....so, likely tons of "walking", but no "lifting".

ZOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...also, minor note, but my "streak" on mfp, as of today, is "1,800".

:)
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Not talking about the scales (bloody hormones) but lifting this week has been great fun.

Got all my squat reps which was 5 x 8 @ 120lbs - which is bodyweight now. Had some great tips from my coach which are helping me keep more upright and focused on body mechanics.

Bench today and got all my reps too. This week is my first week doing sets of 8 - previously 10 or 12. A nice transition period. After Christmas will be sets of 5 and my coach said "then it'll start getting hard"...... which was a little concerning as I was thinking the sets of 12 were the worst thing ever :s

Next week I am off to Melbourne to visit my sister. I will workout but not much - a nice rest week coming my way