Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Aigre - 7 miles is awesome!!
    Sam - great workout, lots of stuff getting done over there!

Today was heavy lower (I apologise I keep forgetting to check in, always seems to be on heavy days!)

Squats: 3 x 6 @ 65kg
    Deadlifts: 2 x 6 @ 80kg
    Split squats: 2 x 8 each leg @ 20kg
    Stiff legged deadlifts: 2 x 8 @ 20kg
    (Was supposed to be 3 sets of the split squats and SLDL, but I ran out of time)

Also got an offer on our house!!! So if you can all keep your fingers crossed over the next few days hopefully we will accept at some level and then put an offer in on the house we want to move to!

ETA: Aigre I hope you appreciate my leggings :smiley:
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Stephie I LOVE them! Brings back my childhood My Little Pony memories :) Where do you find such things? It's got to be someplace that doesn't sell in the US.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    They are called "Tikiboo leggings", and I have only found them on a UK site, but maybe they are sold somewhere in the US. They're so awesome :) every day is rainbow and unicorn day. Haha
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Oh man, I totally need some rainbow unicorn leggings but their US site doesn't seem to work. Boo!

Congrats on the offer on the house! So exciting and stressful all at the same time!

Bench day today:
    Incline bench - 1x5@35, 3x3@60, 2x2@65 lbs. I was surprised that 65# went up as easily as it did! Last rep was a bit of a grind, though.
    Decline bench - 5x6@35.5 lbs
    Narrow grip DB BP - 5x6@15 lbs dbs
    DB chest fly - 4x8@12 lbs dbs
    Overhead tricep press - 4x12@10 lbs

Then changed up and out the door for a 2 mile run. Got in my protein oatmeal right afterwards. Recipe needs work, a lot of work. (1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup skyr, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop chocolate protein, and a handful of blueberries). Too runny and slimy, but I got it down to try to maximize my gainz.

Looking forward to leg day tomorrow and using my new knee sleeves, though I am totally not legit enough for them.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello all- I am working through Strong- since Christmas. I am swimming one day a week and skiing every other week. I wish I was skiing more because we have had tons of snow. The kids are on their seventh snow day.
    Strong is going well but I am lifting at home and there is some equipment I miss from the gym.
    I am hoping to pick up a used squat rack next.

I am excited about th women's march. I will be marching locally but would love to hear how it goes in Washington .
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Hey all, sorry have been reading but not replying. I've been on holidays - got training and combat in as per usual. My coach is MIA - chest infection apparently. So I've been utilising the time to rest my injury and work on my squat form. Nothing new or exciting lol.

Aigre - I'm no fan of shakes but what was the issue? The oatmeal? The rest sounds like it would work lol. I'm a fan of using frozen fruit when I make smoothies for the kids - a frozen banana adds a delicious thickness
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Pmagna - nice! I love skiing but don't get a chance to go much these days!

Jo - all sorts of nasty bugs going around. I think the underlying issue is my dislike of the taste of protein powder, particularly the sucralose they all seem to be sweetened with. Today did 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup skyr, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 2 tblsp chocolate PB2, 1/4 cup milk, 20g raisins. Was a lot better. Maybe needed a pinch of salt and a touch more milk.

Squat day today:
    Back squats - 1x5@53 lbs, 3x3@90 lbs, 2x2@95 lbs.
    RDL - 4x8@83 lbs
    RFESS - 4x8@10 lbs
    Farmer walks - 35lbs dbsx4
    Reverse lunges - 4x8@38 lbs
    Back extensions - 4x30
    Valslide push aways - 4x10
    Reverse crunches - 5x10

Knee sleeves worked well but goodness do they make my poor legs look like sausages!
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - You got knee sleeves, amazing! I'm adding that to my list (which already includes a belt and fractional plates!)

Upper heavy day today

Bench press: 3 x 6 @ 37.5kg got a little concerned on my very last rep that I was going to need saving, but got it up there
    DB row: 3 x 6 each side @ 15kg
    OHP: 1 x 6 @ 25kg
    Lat pulldown (underhand grip): 1 x 5 @ 47.2kg (was supposed to be 6 reps)
    Lateral raises: 3 x 10 @ 2 x 5kg
    Bicep curls: 3 x 8 @ 2 x 5kg

Don't find upper day very taxing, my arms are tired, but overall I feel good. Liking my upper/lower split right now.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options

I am excited about th women's march. I will be marching locally but would love to hear how it goes in Washington .

Me, too! I am marching locally (Canada!), but am really hoping we get good (tv or online) coverage of what is going on in Washington, DC.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I've been doing a bit of a mixed bag of stuff this last week or so, but definitely working my poor tired muscles! I did a zumba class, grit plyo and a cx (core) class on Saturday in place of my run. Then did 1.5 hours of lower body torture on Sunday, upper body strength on Tuesday and did combat before work this morning.

With upper body, I'm still struggling to improve OHP and I've failed at my bicep curls (3x10 @ 20kgs barbells) the last couple of sessions, so am looking into how best to take it back a step and strengthen my weakpoints. I'm thinking 21s for bicep curls and some sort of negatives for OHP.

I'm on point, foodwise - macros are working out ok and I am nicely in the habit of planning and hitting my targets within a reasonable range, but I am tired this week - not sure whether I am just on the fringes of getting hubby's cold, whether I'm trying to do too many things, or whether I just need winter to go and for me to get a good night's sleep! Perhaps I will look at upping my carbs a little bit to give me a bit more oomf....

Ah well, It's Thursday - a step closer to the weekend!

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Kimi - OHP is seriously the toughest for us ladies. It sucks. Pure and simple. I think playing with reps and accessories is the way forward. Bicep curls - couldn't care less lol. My biceps are awesome without even trying - almost every lift that uses arms will work them. If I isolate, I get sore elbows. And sleep is key.

I went to my doctor today to ask advice about my back..... am so sick of being injured. I have an x-ray tomorrow but think that's a waste of time tbh - pretty sure I don't have a fractured spine :/

I wanna deadlift. SULK
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Kimi - OHP sucks, we all agree. I sometimes do some push press just to mix it up, but would love to know of accesories to improve if any of you have used any.

Jo - sorry about your back :( I hope the xray at least leads to other diagnosis stuff

Lower control day today

Paused squats: 6 x 4 @ 50kg
    Paused deadlifts: 3 x 4 @ 60kg
    Split squats: 2 x 8 each side @ 25kg
    Stiff legged deadlift: 2 x 8 @ 25kg

Looooooads of people in the weights room today. Some older guy claimed he was the first person to squat 1000lbs.... I feel this is not true but obviously didn't call him out on it. Will now google it though :)
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your back, Jo....hope it gets sorted soon. In the meantime, patience! (easier said than done, I know!).

My arms were horrid before - when I started, I cried when I couldn't curl a 2kg dumbbell. Honestly, it was the pits. So I know I am making progress, really, and I know that the definition is coming. I also know we use our arms and shoulders during a lot of the compound lifts, so I don't want to go all "bro" on myself and curl in the squat rack....but I really do want to show off my arms and shoulders in the summer and get those "ooh, look at your arms" type of looks (yes, I am shallow. I'm not afraid to admit it".

Doing combat this morning, I could definitely see that I had more muscle definition than most, but I want shape, beauty and strength in them there arms - not much to ask, really, is it! lol!

My hubby lifts - he has a-ma-zing arms. Swooooooon.......
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Kimi - that is awesome you have seen so much progress! No shame in wanting something in particular.

Stephie - Too funny about 1000 lb squat guy. How did you find the paused workouts? Do you think it's helpful?

Jo - sorry to hear your back is still bothering you!

4.0 mile run for me this morning. Feeling the glutes/hams from yesterday. Hoping they recover a bit for tomorrow's deadlifts.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Paused squats I think are brilliant - I have a HUGE tendency to bounce out of the hole and I feel like paused squats make me use many more muscles.

Paused deads I am unsure. I can see how they strengthen your back, but we'll wait and see.

The reason they are programmed in the program is to work on technique whilst still getting some decent time under tension.

Tomorrow I do spoto press (paused bench 1-2 inches above chest) which I find extremely useful, and I think if my bench is ever going to get better it will be because of spoto's.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Tomorrow I do spoto press (paused bench 1-2 inches above chest) which I find extremely useful, and I think if my bench is ever going to get better it will be because of spoto's.

If you find this is your sticking point, you might want to work on the triceps. It is that part of the movement - a few inches off your chest - where they engage in the bench press. If that's where you usually get stuck, try increasing your tricep work too and you may find your bench improving. This is my sticking point also.... awesome biceps, crap triceps lol

• StephieWillcox
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »

If you find this is your sticking point, you might want to work on the triceps. It is that part of the movement - a few inches off your chest - where they engage in the bench press. If that's where you usually get stuck, try increasing your tricep work too and you may find your bench improving. This is my sticking point also.... awesome biceps, crap triceps lol

Yes!!! This is ALWAYS where I get stuck. Get it off the chest no problem, get it up a bit higher than I stop for spoto, maybe 3-4 inches, and I am DONE! I can't move it at all. Will switch my accessories (or at least my bicep curls haha) for tricep stuff! (The accessories are all optional and switchable)
  • AigreDoux
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephie - I am always humbled when I do paused squats. I don't like them because I have to lower weight so much to keep my form. But I should do more often.

Jo - so good to know that about triceps. That's where I usually get stuck too.

Deadlifts today:
    Deadlifts - 1x5@103, 3x3@130, 2x2@135 (BW) Tested a slightly wider and slightly narrower stance again. Still feel better narrower. Go figure.
    Inverted row - 5x8
    Pull ups - 5x4, 5x3 (total 35) with band assist
    Meadow row - 5x12 each arm with bar
    Cable low row - 4x12 with resistance band
    Bent over DB row - 4x12@20 lbs each arm. Back is always fried by this point and I have trouble even with the 20s.

Felt more worn out this week than last. Nutrition and sleep were comparable, I think, so the big difference was that I ran 4 miles yesterday instead of an easy 2 last Thursday. I guess i have to decide how much I care if running affects lifting and vice versa. My inclination is to take note and figure I will make slower progress, but still keep on going, I guess.
  • StephieWillcox
    Options
    Aigre - I must have gotten stronger, because pause squats used to feel like the devil, but I did pause squats at 50kg with no knee cave and everything felt pretty good!

Upper control day today

Spoto press: 6 x 4 @ 35kg This wasn't very hard, it's made me realise my bench is rubbish because I lose tightness. Keep the tightness and the weight moves. So something to work on
    DB row with pause: 6 x 4 @ 15kg
    OHP: 1 x 6 @ 30kg (BOOOOOOOOOM)
    Lat pull down: 1 x 6 @ 47.2kg
    Tricep pushdown - rope pull: 3 x 8 @ 12.5kg
    Lateral raises: 8, 6, 6 @ 7.5kg DB's

Overall not too shabby, and I got to the gym 4 times this week so that's a bonus!

Have a good weekend all :)

P.s we put an offer in on a house last night, hopefully we'll sort out the actual price today/this weekend.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Nice work Stephie.

That's a lot of pull ups Aigre - makes me realise I haven't done them in ages..... probably can't do one anymore lol

Yesterday was bench, OHP and squats - ugh. Took 2.5 hours! Crazy. Coach has been sick so not got a plan this week.... hopefully be back next week