Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA. I've been out of the gym over two weeks. It's screwing with me mentally, but I have yet another upper respiratory infection. Not bad enough to stay home from work, but not well enough for a strenuous workout. I come home everyday and go right to bed for about two hours then struggle through the evening to take care of my boys. :(
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Sorry you aren't feeling well, Sam! Hope you get back into things soon!

Squat day today:
    Back squat - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 1x3@75 lbs, 3x3@90 lbs, 2x2@95 lbs
    RFESS - 4x8@BW suspect this is one of the things aggravating my hip flexor in the back leg, so concentrating on pushing off the front leg and not "assisting" with the back
    RDL - 4x8@95 lbs
    Lunges - gave these a try but also aggravated my hip, so just stopped
    Back extension - 4x30
    Was supposed to do some ab work but ran out of time, maybe will try to get it in tonight before bed.

Happy hump day!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Ended up not going to the gym yesterday. Today, made it to the gym after dropping off my sister at her internship as I have today off.

front squats - 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 3x8 @ 85
    cleans - 2x8 @ 45, rough couple of sets working on the form so had to pause often to set up and had a couple fail attempts during, 1x6 @ 65 and 1x5 @ 65
    deadlifts 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 155 and 3x5 @ 185
    30 minute walk on treadmill
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Right, well I was on here on Monday with the good intention of updating you all and checking in, and in the middle of my post got a phone call from nursery to say that my daughter had thrown up and could I please come and get her.

So 48 hour exclusion period meant 2 days off work at home with my poorly little one. And I sent her back in today when I probably shouldn't have as she's still having dodgy nappies, although not too frequently.

I have gotten in touch with a nutritionist today, I need help with my diet and her prices seem reasonable (£100 for initial 90 minute and follow up 60 minute appointment, with future follow ups at £25).

My new years goals for my lifts are:

Squat: 100kg
    Deadlifts: 120kg
    Bench press: 60kg

On monday I pulled 90kg on DL for 4 and then 3 reps which is the most ever :smiley:

I think the DL could be achievable, I don't know about squat and I seriously question bench!

But I am having some major TMI problems with heavy squats so I also need to get a referral to go and see a pelvic health physiotherapist. 2017 will be the year of professional help apparently!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Nice goals, Stephie! I will be lucky to see those numbers in my lifetime :) Sorry your baby is sick. The older I get the more I realize that professional help is worth the money. I always think I can do things on my own, and maybe I can, but people who know what they are doing help so much faster! And on the TMI issue, while you are waiting for the referral, try Thinx ;)

4 mile run this morning. Actually 3.99 miles per my app. I'm not sure why I didn't keep running another 0.01 miles, but I was at my doorstep and just stopped. That sort of thing drives me nuts, even though logically there is no difference. Deadlifts tomorrow!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Stephie - Great goals! Hope the baby is doing better.

Aigre - Nice job running. I haven't done for a run in way too long. Have to work with treadmills for now. Yay for deadlifts!

Another day and gym. I am helping out at a different store, which is even smaller than most because it's primarily a pharmacy with a small bit of front end. They need help preparing for inventory so I'll be there twice a week. There isn't much nearby but there is a 24 hour fitness. Sister's internship ends later than when I get off so I'll be using the gym after work on Thursdays and Fridays for now.

However, she got done a little early, so I had a shortened lifting session today.

band pull apart - 3x10
    one arm db row - 3x10 @ 37.5
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 3x5 @ 85

• AigreDoux
    Options
    Nice benching, Dawn!

Deadlifts this morning at 4:30 am
    Deadlifts - 1x5@83 lbs, 1x3@103 lbs, 1x3@125 lbs, 3x3@130 lbs, 2x2@135 lbs
    Inverted rows - 5x8
    Chin ups - 40 total with assistance band, sets of 4, 3, or 2. Ugh.
    Meadow rows - 5x12 with bar
    Cable row - 4x12 with resistance band
    Dumbbell row - 4x12@17.5 db
    Was supposed to walk 15 minutes on the treadmill after, but my daughter woke up. Hoping to sleep in a bit tomorrow.

Happy Friday everyone, and have a great weekend!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well done everybody. I've been here reading posts but not had much to say..... training has had a few bumps in the road between coach availability, me not liking the programming and my injury.

Have been to see physio now - seems promising.

Back to my previous coach after many, many discussions about my goals and the clubs overall availability and commitment to remote coaching.

Still not been lifting anything heavy which makes me want to cry. Have increased cardio a bit to counteract the reduced energy expenditure. Am NOT going to get fat while this all occurs :D

But this Tuesday am going to the club to make a plan with my coach, who I get on with well. Hoping we can smooth over any issues as I have no idea where else to go with my training!

Stephie - awesome goals!
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize this group was still active! I'm doing my 4th workout B, stage 1, tomorrow! Excited to be halfway done. Just switched gyms from Planet Fitness to an LA Fitness. Excited to have real barbells!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aubrey - Great that you're getting through it and at a different gym. Planet Fitness does have some benefits but for barbell work, often other places tend to be a better fit.

No gym right now for me. Dealing with computer troubles. Had to have laptop reset, which means it's back to the start with no files or anything I'd ever added over the years. I have an external hard drive, but it's not connecting right now to any laptop. I need to maybe try and find a different chord to use. I do have some things saved on thumb drives and we save one file in particular to a micro SD. Going to take me time to get things back together.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Ok so now my shoulder blades are taped into position which aches!! OMG. And brutal massage. Cmon body, just be fixed!

Chest and back today - plus the exercises given to me by the physio. Seeing my coach tomorrow. Looking forward to the new plan
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - sorry about your aching back! Good luck with the new plan!

Aubrey - welcome! Awesome to have real barbells. They are addicting, I swear. Go easy at first and take some videos for form checks along the way!

Dawn - bummer about the computer. Hate those kinds of things.

Anyway, Saturday was OHP day.
    OHP - 1x5@33, 1x5@38, 3x3@45, 2x2@50lbs
    Lateral raise - 4x10@8lbs dbs
    Scrape the rack press - 4x8@38 lbs
    Reverse curl - 5x10@22.5 lbs
    Rear lateral raise - 4x12@5 lbs dbs
    Incline hammer curls - 4x10@10 lbs dbs
    DB front raise - 4x10@5 lbs dbs

Yesterday did a 6 mile run.

Today I rest. This starts week 6 of this ETP plan, so it's a deload week. Boo. Weight has been all over the place and so annoying, I'll gain 4 lbs in a day. I really want to get under 130 but the ETP coaches don't want me in a deficit yet, I guess.

Have a great Monday, everyone!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Weight has been all over the place and so annoying, I'll gain 4 lbs in a day.

I do this too - hormones!! ugh
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Darn those hormones!

Bench day today:
    Incline bench - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@44 lbs, 1x5@55 lbs. At this point got all confused as to why 55 felt so darn heavy. Then realized I had the incline set way up and was essentially doing a seated OHP. Put the incline back down. Unracked the bar and whacked into the safeties about 6 inches off my chest. Ooops. Finally got the set up right and another easier 2x5@55 lbs for my deload this week. Perils of working out at 4:30 am and not quite awake, I guess!
    Decline bench - 5x6@38 lbs
    Narrow grip DB bench - 5x6@17.5 lbs dbs
    Chest fly - 4x8@10 lbs dbs
    Overhead tricep extension - 4x12@10 lbs
    Then outside for a 2 mile run.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Agreed on the pesky hormones! My weight does go up too at random, it feels like.

Made it to the gym after work. Today was a mid-shift and the one where I spend the whole time in the pharmacy. Still have a lot to learn but starting to do a few different things back there. So much studying to do in the next few months but hopefully it goes well. Had sister drop me off at the gym after in order to get a lift in since it has been like 5 days as the computer issue caused a bit of a distraction. Still have some issues to sort out with that too.

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135 and with belt 3x5 @ 155
    good morning - 3x10 @ 95
    pause squat - 2x5 @ 95 at an 8 count
    sumo deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x6 @ 155 and 3x5 @ 185
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hey all,

So saw my coach last night - he is training up a new coach who is going to help me too so it's pretty good as while he's instructing her on things I'm learning too.

NEW plan - getting rid of the volume *kitten*. Focus on powerlifting but building a solid strength base. So, starting off low volume, light weight for the main lifts to perfect form. Higher intensity accessories. Then will taper accessories as the main lifts progress. Love this plan. I hate high reps. Quite happy to do 8 sets of 3 rather than 3 sets of 8 hahaha

New ideas with the squat too - they said my overall mechanic of the lift was vastly improved. Now we are working on bar position - I gotta do low bar rather than high bar (due to my leverages really). I have tried this before and SUCKED. However, got shown a different way to hold the bar (thumbs on top). Practiced a lot. Managed to get above any weight I've squatted before with low bar and it makes my whole position change - I don't get 'stuck in the hole' at the bottom. In fact, my wrists were the limiting factor nothing else - going to invest in some wraps. Coach reckons I'll be squatting double bodyweight by September - I think that's incredibly ambitious and mad but am loving their enthusiasm!

Also looked at DLs.... haven't done any for ages due to injury. We only looked at 40kgs yesterday but they've swapped me back to conventional from sumo. I'll give it a whirl. They said my form was perfect. Let's see how it goes with increasing the weight. I did 70kg today - easy and didn't hurt my back. Only did a few as don't want to stress the muscles but feeling positive about recovery and moving forwards. Hurrah!
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - sounds like you've found a good coach! Would love and probably desperately need someone to coach me in person on form. Only so much you can do from videos not in real time. I'm glad your back is feeling slightly better. 70kg with no pain is great! And double BW squats is like a dream for me!

Dawn - are you in school now? Gee, I feel like I missed something there. Nice workout!

Yesterday I did squat day
    Back squats - 1x5@33 lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 3x5@80 lbs. Felt decent for a deload.
    RDLs - 4x8@80 lbs
    RFESS - 4x8@BW these still irritate my hip flexor along with the lunges that I skipped. :#
    Back extensions - 4x30, trying to get these to focus on the glutes following some of Bret's work.
    Yesterday I couldn't get my mojo going in the morning so stopped there. Was supposed to do farmer's walks and some ab stuff too. I usually convince myself out of bed that if I am really too tired, I will just do the first main sets and then quit and go back in to bed. I very rarely end up doing that, but yesterday was one of those days. I put myself back in a deficit even though I'm going to get yelled at by the ETP coaches, and it is affecting my sleep and recovery. Shocker, I know :)

Today ran 4 miles, in before the blizzard about to hit us in an hour or so!

Happy Thursday and keep warm everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jo - That does sound good. I haven't done much low bar and still prefer high bar because of it. I'm also not into the high reps though I do most of my accessories at 8-10 count. Really don't like anything more than 10. Less reps = more fun. ;-)

Aigre - Nice workout. I'm not doing the school route. The place for the sponsorship never got back to me. Instead, I got a position at work that allows me to study for the test, which included a pay increase (yay). Classes to prepare for the certification test start on the 22nd and are once a week. I'm working one day a week in pharmacy at minimum and happen to be helping another store 2 days a week that is mostly a pharmacy so they are willing to have me learn stuff there too. I need to start studying.

Had work today over at the other store as I'm there Thursday and Friday. The initial goal was to help them get ready for inventory, which was first listed as the 22nd. Well, it was today. My store manager from the main store I work at was over to help. So, we worked a little on inventory, since someone comes in to do it I ended up bowing out since I am limited on what I can do with pharmacy products and worked on some of the computer work I need to finish. Then looked at the front end, which I'm trying to get back in better condition with less empty spots. I'm going to be going in 3 days this next week instead of 2 for ordering. It's interesting and kinda fun being in charge of part of the store. Something new and might consider seeing about working at this store full time if the option becomes available. Plus, there is a gym down the block.

Went to gym and it wasn't as bad this week since I went after 5:30 instead of after 6, for some reason. Last week is was just busier.

band pull apart - 3x10
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, 3x5 @ 90
    pause bench - 2x5 @ 60
    incline bench - 1x10 @ 45, 3x8 @ 65
    seated row - 3x10 @ 75
    cable bicep curl - 2x8 @ 60 and 1x7
    face pull 4x10 @ 60
    45 walk on treadmill at a 2 incline

And they had a deal on protein bars/cookies. It was pay day too and we've been really low on food cause financial struggles this last week. Got 10 different snacks for 20$. A decent deal since the lenny&larry cookies there cost 3.00 for one and like the cereal quest bars are 2.50 for one. Now I have some protein snacks. Been low on protein and I'm getting ready to start a 13 week cut/training cycle. Want to work on things hopefully soon.
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Dawn - what test are you studying for? That's awesome though! Yeay on some protein snacks. I tried Quest bars a while back and didn't care for them much, but then tried them recently and they were ok. Nice benching!

Well, we got hit with a massive snowstorm yesterday. Had a crazy scary drive home from work, even with AWD and snow tires. Today much better but the kids are still out of school.

Deadlift day today:
    Deadlifts - 1x5@53, 1x5@103. Programming called for 3x5@115. So I loaded up the bar, did the first set of 5 and was like "man, I am really weak today, that 115 feels like at least 125". Until I looked at the bar again and realized it was 125. Oops. So 1x5@125 lbs, 2x5@115 lbs.
    Inverted row - 5x8
    Chin ups - 12x3, 1x4 for 40 total with band assist. Really working on engaging my lats on these.
    Meadow rows - 5x12 with bar
    Cable rows - 4x12 with resistance bands
    Dumbbell row - 4x12@17.5 lbs dbs. I feel like this weight is very low but I am so fried at this point of the workout I really can't get the 20s up for 12 reps.

Roads are still bad so hoping for a quiet day at work today. Keep on lifting everyone and have a great weekend!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Aigre - I'm trying to get certified as a pharmacy technician. :smile: Yes, yay for protein snacks. Had a cookie for lunch at work. I mostly only do the quest bar if I can microwave them for like 8 seconds or so as they are better a little warmed up. They aren't like amazing but some of the flavors are decent.

I went to the gym after work today for cardio. Treadmill jog and walking plus some time on the rower.