Week 1 Chat Thread

lizard053
lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
Week1.jpg

Challenge: Drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water 6 of 7 days this week!

Why should we drink water? Check out the articles here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-water-9/default.htm

How much water should you drink? 64 ounces a day. Work towards drinking 1/2 your weight in pounds as ounces of water (a 150 pound person should aim for 75 ounces of water). If you weigh less than 128, drink the 64 ounces.

What are the benefits of drinking so much water? Well, for one, more exercise due to running to the bathroom every half hour! Seriously though, it can help aid digestion, help keep you regular, flush out excess water weight, clear out toxins, and even help clear your complexion.

Can you drink too much water? Certainly. Every person's limit is different. You need to maintain a proper balance of electrolytes in your system (sodium and potassium). However, most of us eat too much sodium, so with drinking water you can be less concerned over that.

What if you don't like water? Try to liven it up a little! Float slices of fruit or cucumber in it for a little bit of fresh taste. Add a few drops of lemon or lime juice to it. Try it ice cold or even warm. However you can get it down. Suitable substitutes for water need to be caffeine free, low calorie, and low sodium. Herbal and decaf teas, low sodium broth, crystal light, for example. Try to balance non-water beverages with fresh clean water.

Water is the ultimate diet drink!

Replies

• wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    that is:
    2 litres
    4 pints
    8 cups
    or a half a gallon for 64 oz

No biggie - its 2 of my water bottles!

Now getting to half my weight @216... That is 108 oz
    3 litres
    13.5 cups
    6.75 Pints
    or very narly 1 gallon (.84)

this seems like it will be quite tough and peeful!
  • lizard053
    That's quite a bit of water! Just increase slowly. Maybe half a glass per day? But look at all the running to the bathroom as helping you get moving! ;) In all honesty, if you can get to the 100 ounce mark, you won't need to drink much more as your weight should get dropping! We can hope, right?

When I first started doing boot camp challenges, we were REQUIRED to drink the 1/2 body weight as ounces of water. But I know that isn't right for everyone, so I'm not forcing the issue. But, I did drop 9 pounds during that particular week 1!
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Green tea a part of water?
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    I drink at least 64 oz a day regularly but often an extra 32 oz . I just drink more when I am doing a hard work out, so I am going to calculate my amount!
  • lizard053

It can count towards some. Remember, green tea still has caffeine in it, and caffeine is a diuretic, so you need to replace some of the water you will lose due to drinking it.
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member

It can count towards some. Remember, green tea still has caffeine in it, and caffeine is a diuretic, so you need to replace some of the water you will lose due to drinking it.

So if I take 4 glasses of green tea ( I use one bag to make two), how much water should I count that as and how much water do I need to drink to replace?
  • nakaiki
    nakaiki Posts: 180 Member
    I got this, I already consume +120 oz of fluids daily. However, something always goes into my water (tea, etc), as plain water literally induces me to vomit. FYI: lemons and other citrus are a natural diuretics.
  • lizard053

So if I take 4 glasses of green tea ( I use one bag to make two), how much water should I count that as and how much water do I need to drink to replace?

I'd say about 4 ounces per tea bag? Not sure exactly.
    I got this, I already consume +120 oz of fluids daily. However, something always goes into my water (tea, etc), as plain water literally induces me to vomit. FYI: lemons and other citrus are a natural diuretics.

That's why I say a few slices, rather than drinking the juice! Just check what you are drinking in your water, I'm sure quite a bit of it will still count as water. Sorry plain water makes you vomit! I used to choke on it a lot, but that's gone away after I started drinking so much of it!
  • nakaiki
    nakaiki Posts: 180 Member

That's why I say a few slices, rather than drinking the juice! Just check what you are drinking in your water, I'm sure quite a bit of it will still count as water. Sorry plain water makes you vomit! I used to choke on it a lot, but that's gone away after I started drinking so much of it!
    [/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical. The reason plain water makes me vomit is that I'm hyponatremIc (low sodium levels) and if I don't add a little extra to it, it makes me physically ill. Part of the reason I drink so many ounces of fluid is to balance out the Na, Cl, and K levels . . . thus, under dr's orders, it is recommended that I drink caffeine-free diet soda to increase my sodium levels.
  • lizard053
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical. The reason plain water makes me vomit is that I'm hyponatremIc (low sodium levels) and if I don't add a little extra to it, it makes me physically ill. Part of the reason I drink so many ounces of fluid is to balance out the Na, Cl, and K levels . . . thus, under dr's orders, it is recommended that I drink caffeine-free diet soda to increase my sodium levels.

No offense taken! Wow, I've never hear a doctor recommend diet soda. It's usually considered rubbish. And caffeine free, what's the point! LOL! Do what you must to maintain your electrolyte balance. That's far more important than a silly challenge!
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 326 Member
    Thanks for the challenge , done with 64 oz will get more today. I am 188 lbs so I need 94 oz per day. Will keep increasing the water intake ,I got myself a new filtrate water purifier with 4 bottles attached today.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Let's see...

I weigh 62 kg, a kilo has 2.2 pounds, which puts me at about 137-138 lbs. Half of that is around... 68-69 ounces. An ounce is roughly 30 milliliters, which means... around 2.5 liters. I think. Sorry for the stream of consciousness, I just converted that by heart because I need it for physics. And okay, because I'm too lazy to google a unit converter tool.

I think this first week should be easy for me. I love water and already drink heaps. I never pay attention to exactly how much, but I doubt 2.5 liters is much more than I'd normally have.
  • lizard053
    LOL Martine! I would have done an estimate like that too. Chemist, I know the conversions pretty close too!

Fit_2012 - Good for you! Sorry, I don't recall your name! Work your way up and you'll be drinking all that water in no time!
  • Watch out water, 2.5 litres of you are mine! Good luck for the morning everyone, I prob won't get chance to come on here before work. Kick butt!! Xx
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    any thoughts on the impact of herbal non-caffinated teas? I tend to reach my water goals by including unsweetened/plain licorice spice tea, floral tea, or cinnamon chai (no actual tea in it). Do these count as water or tea?
  • lizard053
    No caffeine, almost like plain water. Can count for up to half. My goal here is to encourage people to drink more water.

I always count just water in my count. I don't include tea, coffee, crystal light, or any other add in as water. Just my personal preference.

As long as it is very low calorie (5-10 calories a serving), caffeine free (decaf works too), and low sodium it can count for up to half of your water intake. (Unless on specific orders from a doctor/dietician!)
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 472 Member
    2 glasses down!

To drink half my weight I'd need 11.5 glasses of water. I think that's pretty doable.

You all have a great day.
  • lizard053
    Great start Amber! You can do it!
  • Kath444
    Kath444 Posts: 77 Member
    If I drink my weight in water than I would have to drink 72 ounces
    32 ounces already done
This discussion has been closed.