Gluten free breakfasts?

Options

Replies

• spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Either Bob's Red Mill GF oats with a sprinkling of raisins and walnuts, or a recipe I put in the database called "Cheater's Eggs Florentine".
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Who makes GF english muffins?! That is one of the things I miss the most! I live in a small town that only has a Safeway, Walmart and one small health food store. Anybody know of where I could fine them?!

Someone here recommended Food For Life Gluten Free English Muffins, I found them at Whole Foods and they are delicious.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love Cinnamon Chex... Chex cereals--excpet for wheat- are gluten free.. I don't want to buy alot of stuff to make gluten free mixes, etc...I also buy some frozen waffles, bagels, and of course, yogurt.....Even though store bought gluten free items are expensive, they are not as expensive as making your own. I sometimes make rye bread anf freeze it..But I buy other breads, etc...
  • dhencel
    Options
    Udi's has a whole line of gluten free products. Check out a health food store.. You can look them up online and even order from them...Some Walmarts are getting more gluten free items.. I have tried making some things and haven't had good luck. I do with my rye bread though.....A friend told me not to use the quick rise on the bread maker and that works....I have a flour "recipe" that I substitute for regular flour in cookies and works great.. People love my peanut butter cookies and can't tell they are gluten free.....Friend me on here if you want more info....
  • crizania
    crizania Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm getting hungry reading these posts:P

some fab sounding breakfasts I'm always stuck for breakfast ideas that are low carb low sugar
  • Nicolemac36
    Nicolemac36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Protein Shake
    1 cup soy milk
    1 sccop protein
    1/2 banana

Holy Crap cereal with soy milk

Spreerville Buckwheat Crepe with scrambled egg
  • dhencel
    Options
    Chex has gluten free cereals.. Cinnamon Chex is really good....I also eat Udi's bagels.. Only half for breakfast....There are some gluten free waffles by Van's...
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually have a fruit smoothie, and a mix of soaked nuts and seeds. A little while later, after my morning walk, I'll follow up with scrambled eggs mixed with crushed red-skin potatoes.
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fruit, eggs and bacon, omelet (chopped onions, green pepper, tomatoe, and choice of seasoned meat or bacon), and smoothies.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Great ideas. I usually cook large flake oatmeal in the microwave. It takes about 5 minutes and is delicious. I top it with berries, rice milk and agave. Yum.

Vans Waffles for a quick treat but I sometimes make my own.
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I have Porridge just about every morning. It's good fuel to start the day, and good for keeping cholesterol low.

21790325.png
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Vans gluten free waffles are good.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    During the work week, greek yogurt with organic golden flax seed thrown in, and coffee--
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I also had some Canyon Bakehouse gluten free multi-grain (or 7-grain) toast today, from a loaf that has been in the freezer for months (a gift we didn't get around to using), and I enjoyed it perfectly well--I'm glad to find a company that tastes good and makes good toast!
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal (McCann's Irish Oatmeal or Bulk quick oats from Earth Fare, never have given me problems) with dried goji berries, ground flax seeds, and blueberries when they are in season. When I don't feel like that I have tofu scramble (tofu, nutritional yeast, mushrooms, and vegetable based butter.) If I am in a hurry I usually just have a piece or two of fruit.
  • jlm655
    jlm655 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love to make protein pancakes, especially after a workout. I sneak spinach in mine (chopped so tiny you can't even tell it's in there) and have some greek yogurt on the side. This recipe makes two pancakes and is about 100 calories for the whole thing.

Recipe:
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tbls flax meal
    1 tbls psyllium husk
    1 egg white
    1 handful spinach, chopped
    1/4 cup water (add a little more if you like your pancake mix runnier)
    Pinch of salt
    Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix everything together and cook as you would regular pancakes. You can also easily add other spices, flavors, etc.

I top mine with a little yogurt butter (http://www.makinglifebetter.com/brands/brummelbrown/) and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar.

For more recipes check out mah blog www.spinachinmyteeth.wordpress.com
  • Camilletherealdeal
    Camilletherealdeal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with milk and stevia is my regular weekday breakfast. It's fast and simple, and not having any sugar keeps me from becoming ravenous a few hours later, sometimes I throw in a little honey for extra flavor. It seems boring, but when I consistantly eat this I am more likely to make better choices the rest of the day (like commercials tout for nutra-grain bars, but they are actually just sugary junk food).

If I go on a long run or do a heavy workout in the morning, I make "super oatmeal!" and add some almond or peanut butter, half a banana (the dog gets the other half) and a bit of honey along with the milk. Sometimes a scoop of protein powder too.

I have been reading articles about olympic athletes' diets, and many of them are big advocates of honey and almond butter for energy. Given, almond butter is very calorie-dense, and honey is very sweet, and professional athletes burn a LOT of calories, but they have high-quality nutrition, so we can eat them too, just really have to watch how much you eat.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of waffles on the weekends and freeze them for easy breakfast foods.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make up a big egg bake once a week and we just cut pieces off and nuke them in the morning. It's pretty versatile but the basics are:

24 whole eggs
    1-2 tsps mustard powder (roughly. I don't measure)
    1/4 cup milk, half and half or heavy whipping cream (although forgot this part last time and it didn't make much of a difference)
    salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

Then you clean out the fridge! Often I'll do cooked sausage, cheese, peppers and onions (i precook the onions because that's how I like them.)

We also like broccoli and cooked chicken with a variety of cheeses. Mixed vegetables with ham and cheese, spinach and chicken with parmesan, chicken, pork or spicy sausage with salsa, cheese and sometimes potatoes.

Like I said, it's pretty versatile and you can add whatever you want into it. If you're dairy free just don't add the milk and skip any dairy (cheese) products. Oh, diced, parboiled (precooked) potatoes are really good in most combos too. I have been known to throw a tater tot or french fry in if they happen to be on hand and skip the potato cooking. ;)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. I should note that this is for my big Pampered Chef 9x13 baker that is deeper than the typical 9x13 pan. If you're using a glass Pyrex type 9x13 you'll want to reduce the eggs to about 20. Yes I know it's a lot of eggs but they're inexpensive to buy and I happen to have 20 chickens so we're up to our eyeballs in eggs!