Gluten free breakfasts?

Options
12346»

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've been known to make great gluten free waffles! I use blue cornmeal and use a gluten free mix like Arrowhead. I took the recipe on the box and put about 1/4 of a cup of blue corn instead of the mix. You add it to a waffle maker and they end up sorta thick and really tasty. I don't know if you have issues with corn but if not - you'd like this. I hate the really fluffy no satisfaction feeling from some store bought waffles. These will fill the belly and taste great with maple syrup.

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/product/gluten-free-all-purpose-baking-mix

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/product/organic-blue-corn-meal
  • PatNotFat
    PatNotFat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Dear JamBkur

I like savoury breakfasts: bacon, eggs, sausage (gluten free of course), black pudding........ah well there's not many of those whilst trying to diminish those kgs.

So I make a savoury breakfast with 'poha' rice. Poha rice is precooked, flattened and dried rice and is a traditional Indian food and here in the UK is available in big Indian food shops.

There are lots of Indian recipes online, for example see http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2011/03/21/poha-or-chudway-flattened-rice/ .

But then I also anglicise it by using herbs used in British cookery such as sage, thyme and parsley instead of spices. I also include lots and lots of vegetables. It's not an exact food - throw in what you have/fancy.

It freezes really well: and so cooking every day is not necessary.

By my calculation a really big bowl contains about 300 calories.

Happy breakfasts

PatNotFat
  • csorenson22
    csorenson22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Am I the only kid at heart here? My gluten free breakfast is Fruity Pebbles, Coco Pebbles, and Chex! All Gluten free!
  • rlbryce
    rlbryce Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a few breakfast standbys:smile:

A Visalus protein smoothie, 2 TB plus a small banana and [any fruit] or a TB of PB2, powdered peanut butter -- YUM!
    A greek yogurt
    One whole egg plus one egg white, with a sprinkle of Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning and shredded raw baby spinach
    Or the above eggs with a teaspoon of light pesto. Insanely delish.
    On Sundays - Pamela's pancakes. made with almond milk instead of water.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I make all kinds of stuff for breakfast.
    I'm a huge fan of hot rice cereal (I use almond milk...sometimes even chocolate almond milk).
    I make my own granola using GF oats, millet, quinoa, and raisins/craisins.
    Homemade coconut milk yogurt
    Vegan GF pancakes (pumpkin is especially awesome)
    I also like to make muffins or other breakfast pastry stuff and freeze it in individual bags and then I'll pull them out at night and eat them in the morning...
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been having scrambled egg whites (10 tbsp) with avocado, red bell pepper, green & red onion, spinach, and a pinch of shredded parmesan, and lately adding 2 slices of peppered turkey bacon as well. It's protein-packed, pretty low in fat and carbs, and has a decent amount of fiber... AND it's delicious!
  • traci98632
    Options
    I usually eat a cup of turkey chili with two tbl spoon of whole fat sour cream and a half cup of blueberries. I don't eat processed gluten free products at all. way too much other crap in them. I believe in good fats, whole foods, ample protein, carbs from most plant based things. I also eat fresh eggs (1 egg and 4 egg whites) in a homemade flax wrap (takes 3 minutes to cook) then I add sourcream, avocado, peppercinins and maybe some franks red hot to spice it up! OR.... I toast some homemade flax bread, split it and throw some pureed avocado and an egg on it. OR.. some yummy homemade turkey sausage with flax bread and an egg...hope this helps! :smile:
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My breakfast options vary with the weather. Right now since it's been hot, I've mostly been having fresh fruit and plain greek yogurt (either in a bowl or smoothie style with some added soymilk).

When it's cooler I'll have cream of buckwheat; gluten free oatmeal; Pamela's pancakes; eggs; fried rice; tofu scramble; quinoa and vegetables; thin rice noodles with fried tofu, garlic, and bok choy; pak bung fai daeng (stir-fried ong choi with garlic and thai chilies)... there are a ton of choices. :smile:

If I'm in a hurry, I'll have boxed cereal, but I don't like how much sugar is in the ones that taste good and it doesn't keep me full for long, so that tends to be my emergency choice.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I usually have three medium eggs, 1 oz swiss cheese, 1 serving prunes and occasionally a slice of Udi's or Rudi's multigrain bread.

If I'm feeling frisky and have the cals to burn- I make cornbread fritters.
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup water
    2-4 tsp baking powder (high in sodium so FYI)

Soak cornmeal in water while 2 tbsp oil heats up in a pan. Mix in baking powder to soaked cornmeal. Drop into hot oil and cook like pancakes.

Smear with peanut butter, cream cheese, syrup, fruit or just plain ol salt and pepper. they're delish and an easy way to get cals up on weight training days.

I skip baked goods most of the time. They leave me hungry in half an hour anyway.

Oh yeah...corbread fritters...They are so tasty with some applesauce and maples syrup on top!! And no cheating, you need REAL maple syrup. It's amazing.
  • Brynne1234
    Brynne1234 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump...some yummy ideas!
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    I got a recipe idea in another thread,

using a silicone muffin pan or liners
    beat 1 egg per muffin cup, add some vegetables, cheese (I use goat as i'm lactose-free)

bake 20 minutes @ 350

they can be frozen or reheated throughout the week... I personally heat them up for 30 seconds in the micro-wave :)
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I eat Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles or Marshmallow Pebbles with Almond Milk. Or Sausage with a little chesse. I do not cook breakfast, takes too much time.

Another option, Kind Bars or bananas.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Bump:heart::smooched: :heart:
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    I usually do scrambled eggs with goat yogurt mixed in! I pretty much eat eggs every morning. 8 get bloated from oats but I can tolerate them okay (minor stomach pain) but are so good for you and low calorie so I will do quick oats with almond milk and fruit.

I will also make goat yogurt ranch that goes well in the eggs, 1 cup goat yogurt (or your choice yogurt) 1/2 almond milk, 1 packet ranch dressing mix. Makes a lot of servings, you can add more yogurt to make thicker or more milk to make it thinner.
  • Axiell
    Axiell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It depends, but lately since I loved Sonny Boy (creamed wheat) cereal as a kid, I've come close to something that satisfies (with only a little imagination). I had been trying Bobs Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat and Creamy Brown rice cereals, but the texture wasn't quite there - so I mixed them 50/50 and it makes for a pretty close match, add a little cinnamon & brown sugar, hemp hearts or flax meal to mix it up a little.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,126 Member
    Options
    Lately I've settled into plain Greek yogurt w/wild blueberries and a cup of coffee. Later on I have 1/8 c of some type of raw nuts or seeds---walnuts, almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pepitas. I rotate these. I don't add any sugar to the yogurt and do not eat nuts/seeds w/salt. To me---delicious!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought I was having a pretty good breakfast with Yoplait Light Yogurt and one of Udi's great bread products. I'm impressed with the green smoothie, too, though I'd never have one. My son-in-law drinks them, too; says they're good. I'm going to have to try some of these other ideas like the pancakes. Glad I checked in today.:laugh: Since I have just a wheat allergy, I've found that I can also eat oatmeal and now that it's cold outside, I'm probably going to eat more of it.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Lately I've settled into plain Greek yogurt w/wild blueberries and a cup of coffee. Later on I have 1/8 c of some type of raw nuts or seeds---walnuts, almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pepitas. I rotate these. I don't add any sugar to the yogurt and do not eat nuts/seeds w/salt. To me---delicious!
    You know I have not thought of blueberries. Need to get me some. Thanks Lin

Calie
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    1 egg + 1 tablespoon of ground flax (or just two eggs)
    1 medium banana
    1 teaspoon baking powder

Makes about 4 small flour-less pancakes, it works pretty will with baked pumpkin too. I haven't tried with any other vegetables/fruits yet.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    1 egg + 1 tablespoon of ground flax (or just two eggs)
    1 medium banana
    1 teaspoon baking powder

Makes about 4 small flour-less pancakes, it works pretty will with baked pumpkin too. I haven't tried with any other vegetables/fruits yet.

I've printed this out, I've got to try it. Sounds really simple. Thanks for sharing.