5 Tools to Stop Emotional Eating!

Options

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm a compulsive overeater and I connect with so much of what you wrote in this post. I became a COE to "stuff down" my rage and depression during a bad marriage and even though I've been divorced a long time, I go back to that behavior when I'm stressed, unhappy, bored, happy, mad, sad, depressed . . .

I have noticed a small change, however. Yesterday, after a particularly stressful day at work, I began to binge eat. In the past, my binges would begin with a stop at the grocery story for chocolate ice cream, cake, candy, and non-chocolate cheese, bread, just about everything I shouldn't have in vast amounts. All these things would be consumed over the course of an evening.

Yesterday I came straight home and my binge consisted of seven Triscuits, two tablespoons of hummus and an extra 1/2 cup of Vanilla Maple Arctic Zero ice cream (37 calories per 1/2 cup and I already had 1/2 cup planned).

Technically, it's still a binge, but it could have been a looooooot worse! :glasses:
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    One another suggestion, when you need some "sugar": grab your pen or computer and write down, what you think, and then it's easier for some people to realize and write what feelings you have, if it's hunger, boredom, stress,... and if u're still 100% sure that u're hungry, then go grab small yoghurt, fruit or some other healthy snack.
    I guess I kinda feel proud on myself, that I didn't eat Ferrero yesterday and did write a page full of my thoughts and then go for yoghurt instead. :smile:
    That yoghurt tasted even better :)
    Anyway you can also go reading all the articles about healthy eating (there're more than 1.000.000 of them, on www.livestrong.com are plenty of them, focusing on health, food and fitness), to blow away your boredom, or do anything else for yourself or anyone else (walk arround the house, make a plan for something fun,...)

Great idea! We have access to a blog through MFP and we can control who sees it (no one sees my blog but me! lol) but maybe writing down my thoughts, emotions, etc., as an alternative to bingeing will help.
  • aprilbaby1982
    Options
    This was really helpful to read! I am a horrible emotional eater. Boredom, stress, anger, sadness, excitement even. Then I start to overeat and get emotional BECAUSE I'm overeating but I can't stop. I like the idea of writing down how I'm feeling before I do eat. Maybe that will make the craving/need go away. Thanks for the insight. :-)
  • kayaklady58
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it will help with my sundowner, bored, craving sugar eating.
  • SandraNC1
    Options
    Bump
  • heidifonda3
    Options
    Wow! That really speaks to me!
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Great post and great information in the replies!
  • sunshine11111
    sunshine11111 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great post. I can definitely use these tips in my life.
  • Sofonda_
    Sofonda_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    going to have to take notes
  • thesash
    thesash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I am a late night eater. I am divorced and I suppose I am lonely and filling the gap with mindless eating. I hate that I do it, and I make promises to myself to stop but I need help withaccountability. :happy:

I too eat because i'm stressed and lonely. I have a teenage daughter who treats me poorly......"the teenage thing" lol, lord help me..., but i find myself eating at night for comfort. I'm going to search for a fun activity for me to do that will occupy my mind. Needlepoint, cross stitch, painting..crafts, etc.
  • jjshyvixen
    jjshyvixen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So true, and beautifully worded! I've struggled with emotional eating as long as I can remember, so this is so perfect! I will be referring to this often. Thank you so much! :happy:
  • ttmomvet
    ttmomvet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that was a good read. thank you for posting.
  • Dannikinz
    Dannikinz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is true! Just listen to your body and don't force anything. It'll bite you later.

I used to always crave pizza because it brought me pleasure as a child. Every time there was a special event or a friend came over, we always got pizza. I used to constantly talk about it and if people would ask me what I wanted to eat, I would always joke and say "Is that even a question?"

Usually In "diets" I tend to feel unsatisfied. I used to make to many changes too quickly out of ambitions and with the sudden cut off of foods I highly enjoy, the cravings became irresistable and I overate again within a week. Now, if I want some cookies, I give myself some, but only one serving size at a time. I eat it slowly, and make sure this is what I want. That I'm being satisfied. If not, I eat fruit or drink water.
  • sreilly89
    sreilly89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow this is powerful thanks for sharing!! I am new to the group struggle with depression and challenging marriage. I am 44 and from WI. Looking forward to bettering my health and encouraging others of their challenges as well!!
    Shelly
  • shapingreality
    shapingreality Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think I eat to relax so making sure I relax before sitting down to eat may change things considerably...how do I work it into my already set routine?
  • HisStrengthCounselor
    HisStrengthCounselor Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • amyjay1973
    amyjay1973 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Today is one of those days where I can recognize that I so badly want to emotionally eat. Your post has given me some good ideas on how not to do this. I am going to try some out today. Thanks!
  • Dianabrock55
    Dianabrock55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a military wife and I have lots of stress in my life when my husband is on a deployment or when he is home. I have anxiety and depression also. I love my carbs. I don't exercise much. I find myself self emotional eating after dinner a lot for something sweet. I have a sweet tooth, and when I am upset I just over indulge on chocolate or pastries. I just recently found out that I am insulin resistance. :smile:
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This was a wonderful article! Thanks so much for writing it. I've been an emotional eater since I was just a little girl (that was many, many years ago!). I'm learning to deal with my emotions a bit more each day. These tools you've listed will certainly help in the fight to win back my healthy lifestyle. A*
  • Free_style
    Free_style Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been going through some challenging times and I realize I cannot afford to be an emotional eater. The habits that are suggested are good substitions for emotional eating. I have tried reading a book, exercising but now I want to try meditation. Thanks for the post!