5 Tools to Stop Emotional Eating!

Replies

• Bodaciousbabe43
    Bodaciousbabe43 Posts: 2 Member
    How comforting to know that I am not alone. Just reading the above comments has given me new incite into why I do what I do and how to deal with it. I have managed to lose 40lbs. since June of '15, but have hit a plateau. The post holiday blues and my "loving partner"s (we hate the term "significant other") cancer diagnosis have triggered a lot of stress. I need to stay healthy to be able to care for him. I think this forum will really help. Prayers gratefully accepted.

• Gilred
    Gilred Posts: 5 Member
    I greatly appreciate the ideas. I also cope with food. Trying to substitute exercise and a healthy lifestyle for the comfort that I was getting from food.
  • jchris1230
    jchris1230 Posts: 2 Member
    I just joined this group and this post is exactly what I needed.. Especially the point my about don't forget to find pleasure... I always put myself last and then end up resentful and over eat...
  • rtami61
    rtami61 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you so very much... my whole problem is emotional eating... this has given me some tools to use. thank you again.
  • thekatclark
    thekatclark Posts: 8 Member
    Hopefully i can use this on my Friday nights when i just want to cover myself in chocolate after a day of working with idiots and moronic customers.
  • Ammi13
    Ammi13 Posts: 22 Member
    Have been struggling the last couple of weeks and this was just what I needed to read. Thank you for the motivation.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Right on Sylvia, same here. Those small yogurts, low or nonfat work pretty well too.
  • ljmus1
    ljmus1 Posts: 29 Member
    This is great. I've been working on emotional eating for a while, but #4 is something I'm only just realising (slowly) :)
  • gonfishin1956
    gonfishin1956 Posts: 3 Member
    does anyone know good foods for a picky eater, I eat out of stress , and am trying to stop, but I dont know where to look for various foods, and not the same stuff every day
  • djaustin53
    djaustin53 Posts: 33 Member
    I do good alllll day.. after dinner I'm constantly eating... ugh :/
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    For years I was convinced breakfast just got in my way. When I introduced breakfast I found my evening eating became controlable. I do have a small bedtime snack. I have found it easier to keep to my calorie plan eating three balanced meals and a snack. Of course I don't know your daily routine, but if this helps you I would be glad.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Thank you for sharing this. I have been thinking a lot about my over eating issues. I have read some articles on food addiction and emotional eating. I think I lean more into the emotional eating but I can't tell you why. Food doesn't limit or change my social life, there were a few other signs that I didn't have that was listed. I am in a much better place than I was 8 years ago but I still over indulge in the sweets. I now have a 3 year old and that seems to make it even harder to not over eat. I am working on changing the food choices that I make to healthy snacking vs carb snacks at for bedtime snack. My favorite food is chocolate of most any kind, nothing fancy, just chocolate. I also love most fruit so I hope to change my late night craving to a healthy one. I like the idea of meditation and writing my feelings down. I think I will also try adding that into my routine.
  • Nezmona
    Nezmona Posts: 3 Member
    So true. I actually see success incorporating little life pleasures and using them as a distractions from emotional or mindless eating. My favorite one - sheet masks. In the evening, when I get anxious and restless and thing about stuffing my face (even though I am not hungry), I put a sheet mask on my face - they last about 30-45 minutes, wich is enough for me to cam down, feel feminine and pretty and proud of myself for taking care of my body as well as inspired to continue to take care of my body by not putting unnecessary crap in it. Also, sheet mask prevents you from eating, because it is too uncomfortable, but you are free to do anything you need around house... I think that everyone can find these very simple things that WORK for THEM - maybe by trial and error, maybe by accident:)
  • judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Nezmona wrote: »
    So true. I actually see success incorporating little life pleasures and using them as a distractions from emotional or mindless eating. My favorite one - sheet masks. In the evening, when I get anxious and restless and thing about stuffing my face (even though I am not hungry), I put a sheet mask on my face - they last about 30-45 minutes, wich is enough for me to cam down, feel feminine and pretty and proud of myself for taking care of my body as well as inspired to continue to take care of my body by not putting unnecessary crap in it. Also, sheet mask prevents you from eating, because it is too uncomfortable, but you are free to do anything you need around house... I think that everyone can find these very simple things that WORK for THEM - maybe by trial and error, maybe by accident:)

This is totally INSPIRED! Thanks so much - I'm going to try this after dinner tonight (my witching hour).
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited December 2016
    Great article. I have eaten food emotionally all my life. Hope to learn some tools and change that. I am glad to see people posting on this site again. Such a huge problem, I was surprised there were mostly older posts and people rarely checked back. I love to see what works for people!
  • Gracedtimes2
    Gracedtimes2 Posts: 38 Member
    Agree! Great to hear from others with similiarities and ideas! Keep posting!
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    I journal my thoughts when I have issues or talk them out for my emotional eating. I own my own business so stress is different than when I was employed. It was worse when I worked for a company. I do ok most days as I'm busy during the day. I have more issues with mindless munching in evening.