Trayvon and the media

Options

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Zimmerman did not act in self defense and simply has to be lying.

His account would be that while he walked to his car the boy he had been following but for some reason lost sight of, attacked him. Though he outweighed the boy by 100lbs and had never spoken to him the boy, armed with skittles and a soda and a mere hundred yards from the home that was his final destination, suddenly decided to for the first time in his life engage in assault.

Zimmerman had a gun in a holster in plain view. Generally not the kind of person you'd pick a fight with. Especially unarmed.

I'm also disgusted by the idea put forth that "Oh you mean he was once found with a baggie that contained marijuana residue? Oh well we had it all wrong, clearly he deserved to be gun down in the streets." Nobody ever said he was perfect. Just that, you know, he probably didn't deserve to be murdered in cold blood for walking.

:flowerforyou:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    suddenly decided to for the first time in his life engage in assault.

I am only stating this to be factual, it shouldn't make a difference to peoples opinions on this but there was something on his facebook about him boasting about swinging on a bus driver

so I don't think he was totally non violent, doesn't make a difference in the facts though

Factual notation recorded and it's important to bring them to light. I just read about it at lunch and they said how some of these new details about his "violent" past are pure fantasy. I read that other than a fight with his siblings/cousin as a child he was never in any fights. The kid was tall but thin as hell. 6'3" 140lbs. His nickname was Slimm. Dudes like that aren't likely to pick fights. (not an airtight argument, I know) A strong wind would likely blow him over.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    My husband was married before and has 2 sons from the previous marriage. The older son, who is 14, lives with us and has a reputation for being a troublemaker. Actually, he's been suspended from school on numerous occassions, has been in and out of juvenile court several times, and is now court ordered to attend an alternative school. He has caused a lot of problems and has made Facebook posts similar to Trayvon's.

Does that mean my stepson deserves to be murdered, or that if he were to be murdered, that the killer should not be charged? That's like saying Zimmerman was doing society a favor, which is a moronic thing to say.

Also, if I was minding my own business walking home from a store and a man 100 lbs+ my weight confronted me and I saw he had a gun, I would likely attack him. Duh.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I actually don't know anything abou this story. I'm sure I'll learn more in time, but at least I will be able to form an unbiased opinion after all the facts are out. I just hope they can find a jury that can say the same. That is one of my biggest problems with the media. I almost feel like they shouldn't be allowed to report on a case until goes to trial. Unless we are talking about a missing person anyway.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I support George Zimmerman.

Im sorry a young man has died. Regardless of weather he was a minor that really has no bearing. Killing a minor doesn't hold a greater penalty than killing an adult.

Im disgusted by the way the public has openly attacked George Zimmerman. The media and the family have stoked this fire. No one here has all the facts and condemning a man without facts is not fair to either that man or the victims family. Innocent until proven guilt what happened to that ?

Its tragic the young man died. But lets not ruin another life because of our Emo social media society. Take a step back and use some common sense. People on here are making some pretty ludicrous accusations and jumping to some conclusions that would scare the **** out of Evil Kenevil.

Someone mentioned

How many times do we have George Zimmerman gunning down children in recent history? How many times do we have George Zimmerman involved in violent crimes involving a gun?
    Id bet that Mr. Zimmerman was shaking like crazy, scared to death, in that moment...but that's just my opinion.

Did George Zimmerman have access to Trayvon Martins tweets and Facebook posts the night he encountered him? No one deserves to be shot for something they have said regardless.

His account would be that while he walked to his car the boy he had been following but for some reason lost sight of, attacked him. Though he outweighed the boy by 100lbs and had never spoken to him the boy, armed with skittles and a soda and a mere hundred yards from the home that was his final destination, suddenly decided to for the first time in his life engage in assault.

Zimmerman had a gun in a holster in plain view. Generally not the kind of person you'd pick a fight with. Especially unarmed.

I'm also disgusted by the idea put forth that "Oh you mean he was once found with a baggie that contained marijuana residue? Oh well we had it all wrong, clearly he deserved to be gun down in the streets." Nobody ever said he was perfect. Just that, you know, he probably didn't deserve to be murdered in cold blood for walking.

Lots of speculation but no real facts. You dont know what either man was thinking. Or what either man would do when confronted.

Why dont you all just get all the facts before Joining up with the black panthers and forming a lynch mob to hunt down and kill George Zimmerman

One more question. Zimmerman is Hispanic if Trayvon were white would this be racially escalated? Would his parents be inciting racially motivated rioting? Just a question
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I live in south Florida which means this is a topic of much discussion down here. Our school have staged walk outs and protests.

I honestly believe that the poleice completly blew the investigation and that there is no way to get the truth now. I dont believe Zimmerman acted in self defense and as it has been previously stated even if you shoot someone in your own home you would still have to go to the police station. I don't know if the police where trying to cover anything up or simply cutting corners. However the truth has been twisted and turned with everyone so busily trying to cover their butts that I dont know if the truth will ever come to light.

Bottom line the police screwed up and Zimmerman should not have been carring a weapon during neighborhood watch it is specifically against the rules for the safety of all involved. If this man had simply stayed in his car none of this would have happened
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Im sorry a young man has died. Regardless of weather he was a minor that really has no bearing. Killing a minor doesn't hold a greater penalty than killing an adult.

Im disgusted by the way the public has openly attacked George Zimmerman. The media and the family have stoked this fire. No one here has all the facts and condemning a man without facts is not fair to either that man or the victims family. Innocent until proven guilt what happened to that ?

Its tragic the young man died. But lets not ruin another life because of our Emo social media society. Take a step back and use some common sense. People on here are making some pretty ludicrous accusations and jumping to some conclusions that would scare the **** out of Evil Kenevil.

Someone mentioned

How many times do we have George Zimmerman gunning down children in recent history? How many times do we have George Zimmerman involved in violent crimes involving a gun?
    Id bet that Mr. Zimmerman was shaking like crazy, scared to death, in that moment...but that's just my opinion.

Did George Zimmerman have access to Trayvon Martins tweets and Facebook posts the night he encountered him? No one deserves to be shot for something they have said regardless.

Lots of speculation but no real facts. You dont know what either man was thinking. Or what either man would do when confronted.

Why dont you all just get all the facts before Joining up with the black panthers and forming a lynch mob to hunt down and kill George Zimmerman

One more question. Zimmerman is Hispanic if Trayvon were white would this be racially escalated? Would his parents be inciting racially motivated rioting? Just a question

FACT: Zimmerman called 911 from the safety of his car.
    FACT: Zimmerman was advised to stay in his car and allow police to handle it once they arrived.
    FACT: Zimmerman made the choice to get out of his car and confront Trayvon.
    FACT: Zimmerman had a loaded gun and Travon was unarmed.
    I realize that we don't have all of the facts, but the 4 statements above say a lot. Zimmerman made the choice to get out of car and approch this "suspicious looking" person. Had he followed the advice of the 911 operator, the situation would not have gone down as it did. Everything that occured, took place, because Zimmerman decided to take the situation into his own hands, instead of waiting for police. Period. That is why I believe he should be arrested and charged with a crime. If Trayvon had approached him, then I could see the Stand Your Ground law be applicable. But Zimmerman was the one who initiated contact and had a loaded weapon on him.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    A guy with a loaded gun that has a vehicle and approaches someone on foot that was unarmed (did he think Trayvon was armed?) and actually ends up resorting to voluntary manslaughter? That's not a good start regardless.

As more comes out about the 911 call and the recording of Trayvon's call with his girlfriend, more light will be shed on the criminal liability here.

Neither apparently has a squeaky clean record, either. Does anyone know the physical specs on the two?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    It appears Purdue's "black student union" has organized a march here too...

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local/rally-and-march-for-trayvon-martin-in-west-lafayette
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    FACT: Zimmerman called 911 from the safety of his car.
    FACT: Zimmerman was advised to stay in his car and allow police to handle it once they arrived.
    FACT: Zimmerman made the choice to get out of his car and confront Trayvon.
    FACT: Zimmerman had a loaded gun and Travon was unarmed.
    I realize that we don't have all of the facts, but the 4 statements above say a lot. Zimmerman made the choice to get out of car and approch this "suspicious looking" person. Had he followed the advice of the 911 operator, the situation would not have gone down as it did. Everything that occured, took place, because Zimmerman decided to take the situation into his own hands, instead of waiting for police. Period. That is why I believe he should be arrested and charged with a crime. If Trayvon had approached him, then I could see the Stand Your Ground law be applicable. But Zimmerman was the one who initiated contact and had a loaded weapon on him.

Fact:He wasn't advised to stay in his car.

Transcript:
    911 dispatcher:
    Are you following him? [2:24]

Zimmerman:
    Yeah. [2:25]

911 dispatcher:
    OK.
    We don’t need you to do that. [2:26]

Zimmerman:
    OK. [2:28]

Fact: Zimmerman was doing what he thought he was supposed to do to protect his neighborhood He wasn't chasing him him. He was monitoring his location.

Fact: having a loaded gun is not against the law nor does it implicate you automatically

Fact: Trayvon ran
    Fact: Zimmerman didn't shoot him on the run he tried to apprehend him without the weapon.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

Someone mentioned

You know why we don't know Trayvon's side of the story? George Zimmerman shot him while he was unarmed. So it's not a matter of "Well you don't know because you weren't there." No one will ever know because George Zimerman ignored police orders and went after the young man and killed him.

Not knowing every fact and what each party was thinking at the moment of the crime is par for the course. If it were no one in this country would ever be convicted of anything.

And we know what George Zimmerman did "when confronted" in this case. That's the one fact that's clear. He shot the kid dead. I don't know what kind of information you're waiting for that is going to make that ok. The boy was not armed. He does not have a violent history. He was taking candy to a friends sleepover.

Are you holding out for the report that he had a ray gun concealed in his alien spacecraft?

Besides your whole argument is flawed because while you take me to task for coming to a conclusion without "all the facts" (which are impossible by your standards) you begin by saying you support George Zimmerman. So while it's premature to stick up for the murdered child, you feel it's ok to stand behind the one who had the gun and shot an unarmed youth against the express orders of police.

You're backing a real long shot pony there.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    A guy with a loaded gun that has a vehicle and approaches someone on foot that was unarmed (did he think Trayvon was armed?) and actually ends up resorting to voluntary manslaughter? That's not a good start regardless.

As more comes out about the 911 call and the recording of Trayvon's call with his girlfriend, more light will be shed on the criminal liability here.

Neither apparently has a squeaky clean record, either. Does anyone know the physical specs on the two?

He actually mentioned in the 911 call 2x that the suspect has something in his hand. Its clear from that that George has to assume that he might be armed. Just as any other police officer would do the same.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    So what if Zimmerman got out of the car and pursued when he was told not to. That doesn't mean he couldn't have done it in self defense. Maybe he shouldn't have gone, but that doesn't automatically make him guilty.

I don't know enough to make a decision. I know that this happened a few weeks ago and didn't get much coverage so the family pushed it out there. I know a kid is dead. I know it's all sad. I don't know all the facts or what actually happened.
  • neelia
    Options

Transcript:
    911 dispatcher:

Zimmerman:

911 dispatcher:
    OK.

Zimmerman:

This is a contradiction here. No, Zimmerman was not advised to stay in his car, but he WAS advised to NOT FOLLOW Martin.
  • BrettPGH
    Options

He actually mentioned in the 911 call 2x that the suspect has something in his hand. Its clear from that that George has to assume that he might be armed. Just as any other police officer would do the same.

George Zimmerman =/= police officer. He has no place acting as one.

The reason for that is because police officers have training that teaches them "Just because someone is holding something doesn't mean it's a gun." Apparently you can't trust the public to be that wise.
  • neelia
    Options

Fact: Zimmerman is not a law enforcement officer.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

George Zimmerman =/= police officer. He has no place acting as one.

The reason for that is because police officers have training that teaches them "Just because someone is holding something doesn't mean it's a gun." Apparently you can't trust the public to be that wise.

You beat me to it. Zimmerman was not a cop and has no buisness acting like one. If you honestly thought someone was carring something suspicious in their hand you call the police and you stay back. You never engage someone like that. Also if I were a 17 yr old kid and some man started following me around I would run to. You know all children hear these days is about crazy stranges. Running is not a sign of guilt. Wearing a hoodie is not a sign of guilt. Being young is not a sign of guilt. These are someone elses biases building a picture that he was the only one to see.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Someone mentioned

You know why we don't know Trayvon's side of the story? George Zimmerman shot him while he was unarmed. So it's not a matter of "Well you don't know because you weren't there." No one will ever know because George Zimerman ignored police orders and went after the young man and killed him.

Not knowing every fact and what each party was thinking at the moment of the crime is par for the course. If it were no one in this country would ever be convicted of anything.

And we know what George Zimmerman did "when confronted" in this case. That's the one fact that's clear. He shot the kid dead. I don't know what kind of information you're waiting for that is going to make that ok. The boy was not armed. He does not have a violent history. He was taking candy to a friends sleepover.

Are you holding out for the report that he had a ray gun concealed in his alien spacecraft?

Besides your whole argument is flawed because while you take me to task for coming to a conclusion without "all the facts" (which are impossible by your standards) you begin by saying you support George Zimmerman. So while it's premature to stick up for the murdered child, you feel it's ok to stand behind the one who had the gun and shot an unarmed youth against the express orders of police.

You're backing a real long shot pony there.

Oh **** Trayvons dead? WTF I dont know that!!!!!!!1111!!!1!

At least im not making blatant assumptions and sentencing a man before a trial.

Does George Zimmerman have a history of crime with a weapon? All I can find is resisting arrest and domestic dispute where he refused to leave a property of a Girlfriend. He really sounds like a cold blooded killer.

Im not denying that zimmerman had a gun and that trayvon was shot all Im saying is this Witch hunt and judging him as a cold blooded murder is jumping pretty damn far. The absolute worst you can charge him with at this point is involuntary manslaughter.

A little less bleeding heart emotional rhetoric and a little more factual evidence. Just because you cant think with a clear mind doesn't mean this other man needs to die for murder.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Transcript:
    911 dispatcher:

Zimmerman:

911 dispatcher:
    OK.

Zimmerman:

This is a contradiction here. No, Zimmerman was not advised to stay in his car, but he WAS advised to NOT FOLLOW Martin.

Ok. I'll concede a different 911 story from the one I read. That being said, he still made the desicion to get out of his car, and not take the advise of the 911 operator as the above person stated. And as Jenbit pointed out, he was a 17 year-old kid with a man following him. I don't blame him for running in the least. Which then means that Zimmerman made the CHOICE to pursue him. Heck, I'm 32 and if someone were following me, I'd run too!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Transcript:
    911 dispatcher:

Zimmerman:

911 dispatcher:
    OK.

Zimmerman:

No they said we dont need you to do that. That doesnt mean stay in the car to me that suggests an option.