ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have calculated by BMR TDEE and cut value with the site you recommended. And I'm wondering, could I use MFP to set my "goal" to my BMR and then eat back 80% of my exercise calories to achieve a cut value. I usually burn about 700 cal exercising and that plus BMR is about what my recommended cut value was.

Thanks.

We usually recommend the other way around...put your tdee cut value as your goal and then just exercise as normal but do not eat back your exercise cals (unless it's dropping you below BMR) Doing it this way gives you consistency in your calorie intake, as well as it can help you determine if your activity level is correct or too low.

If you find that you are always netting below BMR, then you have likely chosen the wrong activity level and need to bump up your cals a bit.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.

Okay, just want to make sure I have all this straight. According to the scooby calculator:

BMR = 1241 (this is a bit lower than other calculators I've used, which usually put me somewhere around 1400-1500)
    TDEE = 1923 (with 3-5 hours/week exercise)
    -15% = 1635

I've gone in and adjusted my goals to 40/30/30 and net calories to 1635. From what I read here, then, when I look at my food diary, I should ignore what it tells me is my daily goal (which includes calories burned from the exercise I've logged, and on an average day would look something like 1800) and aim for 1635 regardless, unless additional exercise would take me below 1241 net.

Is that right?
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Can't give an answer Azalais, but I was about to ask exactly the same question!!!! So hopefully we are thinking correctly.
  • azalais7
    Options
    Can't give an answer Azalais, but I was about to ask exactly the same question!!!! So hopefully we are thinking correctly.

Moss11, from what I've read elsewhere on the group board, yes, this is correct.

I did totally goof up my stats, though--I wasn't paying attention when I entered my height on the scooby calculator and entered 5 in the centimeters field and 6 in the inches --d'oh!:tongue:

So mine should really be:

BMR = 1515
    TDEE = 2348 (with 3-5 hours/week exercise)
    -15% = 1996

I've been averaging about 100kal below that for the last week, though my first day of heavy lifting I did manage 2200. Last night it was a struggle to get to 1900.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Think we are on the right track, simple really :). Good for you lifting heavy I am going very steady with the NRWLFW as had back problems in the past. However I think building up the weight will actually strengthen it eventually. Unlike you I have no problem eating my TDEE minus 15% which is 1827.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Since the 1470 cals MFP is recommending has not allowed me to lose ANY weight in the three months I tried it (and if this EM2LW group is correct, I can see why I'm constantly hungry because I'm not eating enough!!!) One of my MFP friends suggested I checked this group out and give it a go to see what happens. So, let me see if I have this straight, I went to the scooby calculator site recommended in one of the earlier stickies and this is what I got based on being 5'9", 187lbs using 3-5 hrs per week of moderate exercise (includes weight classes 2x per week, kickboxing 1x per week, and bellydance 1x per week (plus any practicing I'm so inclined to do and any performances) and a 15% reduction:
    BMR 1598
    TDEE 2477
    Daily Calorie Goal 2106
    They recommended 30% protein, 50% carbs, and 20% fat
    So based on this I eat 2106 cal/day, on days I exercise if I burn more than 508 cals (the difference between the BMR and the DCG) I eat back only the amount over the 508 (so if my workout burns 560 cals, I can eat back only 52 cals) I do have a HRM that I can track my cals burned in my classes.
    Do I have it right?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Since the 1470 cals MFP is recommending has not allowed me to lose ANY weight in the three months I tried it (and if this EM2LW group is correct, I can see why I'm constantly hungry because I'm not eating enough!!!) One of my MFP friends suggested I checked this group out and give it a go to see what happens. So, let me see if I have this straight, I went to the scooby calculator site recommended in one of the earlier stickies and this is what I got based on being 5'9", 187lbs using 3-5 hrs per week of moderate exercise (includes weight classes 2x per week, kickboxing 1x per week, and bellydance 1x per week (plus any practicing I'm so inclined to do and any performances) and a 15% reduction:
    BMR 1598
    TDEE 2477
    Daily Calorie Goal 2106
    So based on this I eat 2106 cal/day, on days I exercise if I burn more than 508 cals (the difference between the BMR and the DCG) I eat back only the amount over the 508 (so if my workout burns 560 cals, I can eat back only 52 cals) I do have a HRM that I can track my cals burned in my classes.
    Do I have it right?
    Yes, that's it :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.

Okay, just want to make sure I have all this straight. According to the scooby calculator:

BMR = 1241 (this is a bit lower than other calculators I've used, which usually put me somewhere around 1400-1500)
    TDEE = 1923 (with 3-5 hours/week exercise)
    -15% = 1635

I've gone in and adjusted my goals to 40/30/30 and net calories to 1635. From what I read here, then, when I look at my food diary, I should ignore what it tells me is my daily goal (which includes calories burned from the exercise I've logged, and on an average day would look something like 1800) and aim for 1635 regardless, unless additional exercise would take me below 1241 net.

Is that right?

Hi :)
    Yes you got it right ! Happy eating
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

I have no idea how to set those settings. But whatever. May I eat more carbs, prots and fats? Or those numbers are maximum? Help...:blushing:
  • joeykat16
    joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! New member to the group here... I just want to make sure I'm understanding...

Here's my stats:
    SW 194
    Height 5'7
    Age 27
    GW 150

Calculations:
    TDEE is 2611
    BMR is 1684
    Moderate Activity Level (3-5/wk)

2611 at a 20% reduction (I've read anywhere b/w 15-20% is ok, but correct me if I'm wrong!) = 2089 that I should be eating daily. That just seem so high to me... but I haven't seen the scale move eating 1200, 1450, or 1700 calories, soooo....obviously I'm doing something wrong!

If I burn more than 405 calories (difference b/w 2089 and 1684 BMR) exercising then I should eat back just those calories to get me back up to my BMR? Ex. If I burn 450 cals, then I would eat back 45 cals, the difference b/w 450 minus 405.

Is this correct?

Sorry to have ya'll answer the same question over and over but I really appreciate the help! :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    BMR 1598
    TDEE 2477
    Daily Calorie Goal 2106
    Do I have it right?
    Yes, that's it :)
    Yay! Giving it a try this week, we'll see how it goes!!!!
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    BMR : 1573
    TDEE : 2713
    TDEE - 15% : 2307

So I'm so posted to eat 2307 calories a day and then not eat back my exercise calories? Is my TDEE supposed to be that high because everyone elses seems lower then that. Just want to make sure I did it right, I got it from scooby.. Still a little confused..
  • Teffy2
    Teffy2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi,

Is it OK to do 10% cut if you wish too?

I appreciate it makes the process slower - but I think I might like that extra 100 cals a day, I'm super greedy.

It does mean my deficit will come from my exercise alone though as my TDEE without exercise is 2000 which is what I'll be eating on the -10% cut!
  • MeganKate24
    MeganKate24 Posts: 110
    Options
    BMR : 1573
    TDEE : 2713
    TDEE - 15% : 2307

So I'm so posted to eat 2307 calories a day and then not eat back my exercise calories? Is my TDEE supposed to be that high because everyone elses seems lower then that. Just want to make sure I did it right, I got it from scooby.. Still a little confused..

What exercise level did you put in?

You eat your -15% cut, but if you end up burning anymore than 734 a day at the gym etc then you will need to eat back the surplus - as you would then be NET'ing at under your BMR.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    great reading and someone here is trying to give this a go.

I am however stuck at the beginning as I cant find the link to custom set my calorie goals, can anyone help me please?

*edit* found it and changed.

Still far from understanding what I need to do - esp with the additional calories burnt by exercise - I often get over 800 cals/day and if I understand right my cut is 1925 and BMR is 1461 so anything over 500 cals should be eaten back too?

My totals are:

BMR 1461
    TDEE 2265
    TDEE - 15% 1925

Me again..... do I eat at 2265 or 1925?

Crickey I'm scared!!
  • azalais7
    Options
    great reading and someone here is trying to give this a go.

I am however stuck at the beginning as I cant find the link to custom set my calorie goals, can anyone help me please?

*edit* found it and changed.

Still far from understanding what I need to do - esp with the additional calories burnt by exercise - I often get over 800 cals/day and if I understand right my cut is 1925 and BMR is 1461 so anything over 500 cals should be eaten back too?

My totals are:

BMR 1461
    TDEE 2265
    TDEE - 15% 1925

Me again..... do I eat at 2265 or 1925?

Crickey I'm scared!!

Eat 1925, unless you exercise so much on a given day that you would end up netting below 1461 (then eat at least enough to net above that). The easiest way to see your net calories, assuming you log all your exercise, is to look at the top of your "My Home" page.