ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think for those who regularly exerice and burn more than the difference between the TDEE15%cut and BMR, it would be easier to set the MFP goal to your BMR and not the TDEE 15% cut number as you all suggest...

and for those who don't burn a lot of calories/workout/are really truly pretty much sedentary, they should set their MFP goal to the TDEE15%cut number...

correct me if I'm wrong...

For the sake of not confusing anyone who doesn't yet understand the basics of the numbers, I'll start from the top...if you know all this info skip to the middle....

you should NEVER eat BELOW your BMR; ALWAYS eat your TDEE 15% cut....

so for me:
    BMR = 1430
    TDEE 15% cut = 1890 (this has exercise cals built in, which is why you USUALLY should not eat back your cals burned...) :huh: But how do I know what days I should be eating extra calories, and how do I know how many???:huh:

Take your TDEE15%cut (1890) - BMR (1430) = 460
    What this means is if I burn MORE THAN this # cals in a day (460), I have to EAT BACK the overage

...so I know if I ever burn OVER 460, take the # cals burned (800) - 460 = 340

another example:
    every day I eat 1890 cals.
    If I work out and burn 460 or less, I still eat 1890 cals.
    If I work out and burn MORE THAN 460, I eat 1890 + # cals over 460
    i.e. say I burned 660 calories... 660-460 = 200....so today I eat 1890 + 200 = 2,090 calories

WITH THAT SAID/EXPLAINED...

You all suggest setting the MFP goal to TDEE-15%cut. For whatever reason I have a hard time with the MFP diary if I put my TDEE15%cutnumber as my goal. I feel like I have to do some math every day to make sure my MFP diary doesn't make me under or over eat. Here's why:

(using my numbers above)

Day 1:
    I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1890 cals. (check) Exercise, burn 400 calories, enter it in MFP. (check) Now my diary will say I have 2,290 cals to eat...BUT I really don't. Today I did not go over the 460 built in calories, so I should only eat 1890 and stop! *when I complete my diary it will say I was below my calories*

Day 2:
    I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1890 cals. (check) Exercise, burn 800 calories, enter it in MFP. (check) Now my diary will say I have 2,690 cals to eat... BUT I really don't. Unlike day 1, I went OVER my built in exercise calories (460), so I take 800-460 = 340 calories I have to eat back from exercise. So I should eat 1890 + 340 = 2,230. But I have a diary telling me to eat 2,690 cals. So on this day I should eat 2,230 calories and then stop.
    *when I complete my diary it will say I was below my calories*

For me its easier in my head to set my goal to my BMR and make sure I ALWAYS eat AT LEAST 1890. Doing it this way the above 2 scenarios would play out like this:

(1) I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1430 calories. (but I know I have to eat 1890!) Exercise, burn 400 calories, enter it in MFP. (check) Now my diary will say I have 1,830 cals to eat...BUT I really don't. I should eat 1890 calories (never eat below TDEE15% cut). *Today my diary will say I ate over my calories*

(2) I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1430 calories. (but I know I have to eat 1890!) Exercise, burn 800 calories, enter it in mfp. Now my diary will say I have 2,230 calories to eat. YES, THAT'S CORRECT!

*LONG STORY SHORT, I know too late
    Regardles of which you choose, the magic number to remember is your TDEE15%cut, HOWEVER

If you set your MFP Goal to your TDEE15%cut number and DON'T EXERCISE, your diary is good to go. If you do exercise...
    (1) your diary is "lying" to you about how many cals you have left to eat.
    (2) you have to make sure if you exercise OVER your built in cals to add that overage into what you should eat (which will be different than what your diary tells you

If you set your MFP Goal to your BMR and DON'T EXERCISE, then you're diary will always say you ate over your calories because you have to make it to your TDEE15%cut number If you DO WORKOUT, whatever cals you burned you always eat back...and they are automatically calculated in for ya!

*Option 2 is best for those of us who generally burn more than our built in cals in a day, (for instance I almost always burn more than 460 cals every day) I think its better to set your MFP goal to your BMR...that way cals burned that you enter into MFP will not be a problem, and the # cals you see in your MFP diary will be accurate (no more thinking involved). The only time you would have to think twice is if you exercise below your built in cals number OR don't work out at all...then you just make sure that you eat your TDEE15%cut number.

So every day I wake up my diary says 1430 calories to eat but I KNOW I gotta hit 1890...and if I enter exercise and the number in my diary goes over 1890, no more thinking involved...eat whatever that number that pops up is. If I only burn 200 calories that day, it will tell me to eat 1630 BUT I KNOW I gotta hit 1890.

For someone who likes working out (I'm in a challenge where we gotta burn a lot of calories) that would motivate me to burn at least 460 calories to get my diary up to at least my TDEE15%cut number...

Does this make sense?! Or did I just confuse everybody?!?:drinker:
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    When I do this, MFP tells me I'm only creating a daily 290 deficit and will only lose 0.5 lbs a week. That worries me :(
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hello. Why do you need to eat back exercise calories if you net below BMR? Surely on the days you don't exercise you are eating more than you need so over the week it balances out?

Obviously if ou exercise hard every day then you should adjust your activity level so you don't net below BMR.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When I do this, MFP tells me I'm only creating a daily 290 deficit and will only lose 0.5 lbs a week. That worries me :(

Don't worry what MFP says. It doesn't account for the exercise you will be doing which will create a bigger deficit.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

Don't worry what MFP says. It doesn't account for the exercise you will be doing which will create a bigger deficit.

I don't exercise daily or consistantly, (it varies week to week) but I work a busy job 4 days a week.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think for those who regularly exerice and burn more than the difference between the TDEE15%cut and BMR, it would be easier to set the MFP goal to your BMR and not the TDEE 15% cut number as you all suggest...

and for those who don't burn a lot of calories/workout/are really truly pretty much sedentary, they should set their MFP goal to the TDEE15%cut number...

correct me if I'm wrong...

For the sake of not confusing anyone who doesn't yet understand the basics of the numbers, I'll start from the top...if you know all this info skip to the middle....

you should NEVER eat BELOW your BMR; ALWAYS eat your TDEE 15% cut....

so for me:
    BMR = 1430
    TDEE 15% cut = 1890 (this has exercise cals built in, which is why you USUALLY should not eat back your cals burned...) :huh: But how do I know what days I should be eating extra calories, and how do I know how many???:huh:

Take your TDEE15%cut (1890) - BMR (1430) = 460
    What this means is if I burn MORE THAN this # cals in a day (460), I have to EAT BACK the overage

...so I know if I ever burn OVER 460, take the # cals burned (800) - 460 = 340

another example:
    every day I eat 1890 cals.
    If I work out and burn 460 or less, I still eat 1890 cals.
    If I work out and burn MORE THAN 460, I eat 1890 + # cals over 460
    i.e. say I burned 660 calories... 660-460 = 200....so today I eat 1890 + 200 = 2,090 calories

WITH THAT SAID/EXPLAINED...

You all suggest setting the MFP goal to TDEE-15%cut. For whatever reason I have a hard time with the MFP diary if I put my TDEE15%cutnumber as my goal. I feel like I have to do some math every day to make sure my MFP diary doesn't make me under or over eat. Here's why:

(using my numbers above)

Day 1:
    I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1890 cals. (check) Exercise, burn 400 calories, enter it in MFP. (check) Now my diary will say I have 2,290 cals to eat...BUT I really don't. Today I did not go over the 460 built in calories, so I should only eat 1890 and stop! *when I complete my diary it will say I was below my calories*

Day 2:
    I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1890 cals. (check) Exercise, burn 800 calories, enter it in MFP. (check) Now my diary will say I have 2,690 cals to eat... BUT I really don't. Unlike day 1, I went OVER my built in exercise calories (460), so I take 800-460 = 340 calories I have to eat back from exercise. So I should eat 1890 + 340 = 2,230. But I have a diary telling me to eat 2,690 cals. So on this day I should eat 2,230 calories and then stop.
    *when I complete my diary it will say I was below my calories*

For me its easier in my head to set my goal to my BMR and make sure I ALWAYS eat AT LEAST 1890. Doing it this way the above 2 scenarios would play out like this:

(1) I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1430 calories. (but I know I have to eat 1890!) Exercise, burn 400 calories, enter it in MFP. (check) Now my diary will say I have 1,830 cals to eat...BUT I really don't. I should eat 1890 calories (never eat below TDEE15% cut). *Today my diary will say I ate over my calories*

(2) I wake up, my diary says I need to eat 1430 calories. (but I know I have to eat 1890!) Exercise, burn 800 calories, enter it in mfp. Now my diary will say I have 2,230 calories to eat. YES, THAT'S CORRECT!

*LONG STORY SHORT, I know too late
    Regardles of which you choose, the magic number to remember is your TDEE15%cut, HOWEVER

If you set your MFP Goal to your TDEE15%cut number and DON'T EXERCISE, your diary is good to go. If you do exercise...
    (1) your diary is "lying" to you about how many cals you have left to eat.
    (2) you have to make sure if you exercise OVER your built in cals to add that overage into what you should eat (which will be different than what your diary tells you

If you set your MFP Goal to your BMR and DON'T EXERCISE, then you're diary will always say you ate over your calories because you have to make it to your TDEE15%cut number If you DO WORKOUT, whatever cals you burned you always eat back...and they are automatically calculated in for ya!

*Option 2 is best for those of us who generally burn more than our built in cals in a day, (for instance I almost always burn more than 460 cals every day) I think its better to set your MFP goal to your BMR...that way cals burned that you enter into MFP will not be a problem, and the # cals you see in your MFP diary will be accurate (no more thinking involved). The only time you would have to think twice is if you exercise below your built in cals number OR don't work out at all...then you just make sure that you eat your TDEE15%cut number.

So every day I wake up my diary says 1430 calories to eat but I KNOW I gotta hit 1890...and if I enter exercise and the number in my diary goes over 1890, no more thinking involved...eat whatever that number that pops up is. If I only burn 200 calories that day, it will tell me to eat 1630 BUT I KNOW I gotta hit 1890.

For someone who likes working out (I'm in a challenge where we gotta burn a lot of calories) that would motivate me to burn at least 460 calories to get my diary up to at least my TDEE15%cut number...

Does this make sense?! Or did I just confuse everybody?!?:drinker:

LOL. You sound like me. I always get to the end of my posts, like :huh: "did that make any sense to anyone other than me?" :laugh:

I think if that works best for ya, then go for it. Typically if a person is consistently getting high burns that net them below BMR, we just say to reconfigure your activity level, so that it gives you the right TDEE, and then it isn't really an issue anymore. But we encourage everyone to find the route that works best for them. I mean, as long as you know the end result that you're after...there's more than one way to skin a cat :wink:

I think another thing that makes it different for everyone is where you're checking in from. Because I check in via phone app, I don't really get the confusion of numbers as I would if I was checking in on the computer. The way that it's set up on iphone, all of those numbers are separate, so I can just watch my main two numbers ("goal" & "food" - which is what I should & actually eat), and make sure that they match. The exercise cals are shown separate, so I can completely ignore them and not be told that i actually have way more cals to eat than I should. Plus I can make sure that my "exercise cals" and my "remaining" cals are the same, showing that I didn't eat them back. AND it shows my "Net", so that I know I haven't gone under BMR (which never happens for me anyway, because of the activity level I chose). So I think where a person logs from will determine which route is easiest for them, too

I would recommend that anyone constantly burning more than the difference between TDEE -15% and BMR reconsider the activity level that they chose, because they are probably more active than they estimate (that's actually what I look at to see if a person chose the right activity level.)

Now, my turn to ask....did I make any sense? :laugh:

~Kiki
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is fascinating!!! It just doesn't seem possible. Help me out.....I'm 5'4" 214.6 lb. 38 y.o. I figured my bmr at 1707, tdee at 2347 with a goal of 1997. So My calculations state that I should eat 1997/day on workout days, correct? What about non-workout days? Of course if I burn more than 290, I should eat the amount in my surplus?

Eat 1997 or just even it out and eat 2000 every single day. You will only eat more if you burn over 300 cals during a workout....then you only eat the excess. So if you burn 400 then you would eat an extra 100 for a total of 2100 for the day.
    Thank you so much!! I am loving the fact that I am able to eat a regular amount of food every day and I have already lost a few pounds (I'm sure of water weight, but still different than I have been doing). It feels strangely right :)
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that anyone constantly burning more than the difference between TDEE -15% and BMR reconsider the activity level that they chose, because they are probably more active than they estimate (that's actually what I look at to see if a person chose the right activity level.)

Now, my turn to ask....did I make any sense? :laugh:

~Kiki

But of course you did! :drinker: When I go to my phone app I see what ya'll are sayin now (the whole net thing)...cuz when I do it from my computer it definitely doesn't say that so I was like man these guys are all math wizards LOL :laugh:

Anyyyyywho, thanks for all the advice! In the last 2 months I've become a clean eater (with occasional bad snacks here and there) but I do feel much better eating more whole, natural foods! I try to eat a carb n protein with a little bit of full fat with every meal, but I'm wondering how to get super high caloric intakes without eating processed foods (well, I also try not to eat pasta, potatoes, legumes/beans, rice, or breads of any kind). Would this be achieved by upping the qty of protein sources at each meal? (more meat?!?):huh:

b/c last night I had pizza hut and that got me up there, but I'm not tryna do that every day!:tongue:
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've spent the last few days reading through all the stuff on TDEE and BMR on the forums. PLEASE tell me if I have this right, because every time I think I do, I read something that totally confuses me again.

Here are my stats-

TDEE-15% is 2340
    BMR (according to MFP) is 1746

So, you're saying I should be eating 2340 every day, and not eating back any exercise calories unless I burn more than 594 exercising? (TDEE-15%-BMR=594). So if I burned say, 826 calories one day for exercise, I should eat back 232? I calculated my TDEE assuming my normal fitness level (exercising 3-5x a week), so what if for a week or two I only work out twice, say because I'm sick or something? Honestly I'm pretty terrified to eat that much, I don't know if I can get through the mental block! I just upped my calories to 1610 from 1360, 2340 seems like a ton.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Also, I should be eating 2340 even on days I don't exercise? But make sure I net at least my BMR on days I do exercise? Yes? And recalculate every 5 pounds, or if my regular exercise changes?
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My question...

According to my BodyBugg I only burn about 1800 cals (that's on a weight training day). Should I eat 15% below that, or is the data from http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ what I'm supposed to follow?

My stats:

- 39 y/o
    - 172.4# (as of 5/5/12)
    - BMR: 1521
    - Currently doing 30-min kettlebell workout 3 days a week (but hoping to start NROL4W) once I figure out the program :P

Thanks.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been doing EMWL for about a month and a half now with some progress.

I'm starting to follow the workouts for NROL4W and their calorie guide says to eat different amounts on days you workout and days you don't.

And I guess we do the same (if netting under BMR) but not consistently for every time we workout if it doesnt net you under BMR. does anyone have experience trying both ways?

My info is as follows:

30yr/female
    185.6lbs
    5'7"
    Moderately active - 3-4 Weights days per week (cardio is sidelined due to muscle strain)

EMWL numbers are as follows:
    TDEE: 2685
    15% cut - 2282
    20% cut - 2148
    Generally eating around 2000 cals a day (but today i ate 2242 - it was a work out day) I was eating a bit more but nothing was budging.
    BMR 1650

NROL4W Numbers:
    RMR: 1399.41 (is RMR different than BMR or the same?)
    Non Workout Day: Eat 2099
    Workout day: Eat 2379
    Strenuous workout day: Eat 2658

Guess i am wondering if it is better to stay at a consistent number - even though you might not work out the same each day/week, or if it is better to adjust based on the day's activities..
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I've been doing EMWL for about a month and a half now with some progress.

I'm starting to follow the workouts for NROL4W and their calorie guide says to eat different amounts on days you workout and days you don't.

And I guess we do the same (if netting under BMR) but not consistently for every time we workout if it doesnt net you under BMR. does anyone have experience trying both ways?

My info is as follows:

30yr/female
    185.6lbs
    5'7"
    Moderately active - 3-4 Weights days per week (cardio is sidelined due to muscle strain)

EMWL numbers are as follows:
    TDEE: 2685
    15% cut - 2282
    20% cut - 2148
    Generally eating around 2000 cals a day (but today i ate 2242 - it was a work out day) I was eating a bit more but nothing was budging.
    BMR 1650

NROL4W Numbers:
    RMR: 1399.41 (is RMR different than BMR or the same?)
    Non Workout Day: Eat 2099
    Workout day: Eat 2379
    Strenuous workout day: Eat 2658

Guess i am wondering if it is better to stay at a consistent number - even though you might not work out the same each day/week, or if it is better to adjust based on the day's activities..

I started out doing it the NROL way and just found eating 15% cut simple..one number to eat. It is up to you, what are you comfy with.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get ph to cooperate...

Anyway, both concepts get you to eat more and do so consistently. Many times it is hard getting people to eat and this method it is one number to remember if activity level is calculated correctly. I like it, but you may like NRL better and that is good too.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I literally get completely stuffed eating 1500-1700 cals a day (after burning 500-800 cals). AFter a year of logging I've literally not lost any weight. I've gained and lost the same 10 pounds 4 times. I used the scoobyworkshop calculator. I do insanity 5 days a week and am pretty active on my 2 off days. I am ordering ChaLean Extreme so I can start strength training. Eventually I want to do heavey lifting.
    I set my activity to heavily active and it gave me a BMR of 1535 , a TDEE of 2649, and a cut of 2119.

I'm so confused. do I eat 1535 or 2119? What about my off days?? and how do I eat that much food without puking? :( Up until a year ago I literally existed on 800 cals a day + tae bo. After upping to 1300 I felt so much better and lost a few pounds. Then got stalled and upped to 1450 on days I worked out. the only time I see real loss is when I stop working out. I love working out. Everything I have read in this group I totally agree with. Is it normal to feel ill in the beginning of upping b/c I literally feel as though I am force feeding myself :(
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Wondering if I'm the only one with such a high TDEE. I'm 32. 5ft 6 and a fitness instructor. I've been stuck between 152-156 or so for over 2 years. I recently got a Body Media and my average TDEE in a month is 2900. My BMR is 1607.
    I teach 10 or so classes a week, and am a mom of 2 boys. :-)
    15% off of that would be around 2300. I've been holding my same weight forever now. I'll go down a bit if I lower to 1800 or so, but then I stall out and nothing happens.

Going up just a few hundred calories could maybe make the difference? Some insanely active days like yesterday (three classes, one dance practice, and one dog walk) I burned 3333 calories. I only ate 2200.
    I feel like a freak having a number that high. Any help or support would be great!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I literally get completely stuffed eating 1500-1700 cals a day (after burning 500-800 cals). AFter a year of logging I've literally not lost any weight. I've gained and lost the same 10 pounds 4 times. I used the scoobyworkshop calculator. I do insanity 5 days a week and am pretty active on my 2 off days. I am ordering ChaLean Extreme so I can start strength training. Eventually I want to do heavey lifting.
    I set my activity to heavily active and it gave me a BMR of 1535 , a TDEE of 2649, and a cut of 2119.

I'm so confused. do I eat 1535 or 2119? What about my off days?? and how do I eat that much food without puking? :( Up until a year ago I literally existed on 800 cals a day + tae bo. After upping to 1300 I felt so much better and lost a few pounds. Then got stalled and upped to 1450 on days I worked out. the only time I see real loss is when I stop working out. I love working out. Everything I have read in this group I totally agree with. Is it normal to feel ill in the beginning of upping b/c I literally feel as though I am force feeding myself :(

YES, lol. totally normal to feel like a bloated little piggy in the beginning, lol. This too shall pass :tongue:

Eventually, your body adapts, and starts BEGGING for food, and you'll wonder how you ever survived before.

As for which # to eat, you eat your cut # every day. Your exercise cals are already figured in, so you don't need to eat those back unless you have a crazy high burn day which causes you to burn more than what is figured in already (which makes you net below your BMR). For example, your numbers, 2119-1535=584. So that is assuming that you will burn 584 on average. On days that you burn more, you eat back the difference. So if you burn 684, eat back 100. other than that, just eat your cut # every day :wink:

Eat the same even on your off days, because TDEE figures in your total activity for the week, so the cals are already spread out accordingly.....

Wondering if I'm the only one with such a high TDEE. I'm 32. 5ft 6 and a fitness instructor. I've been stuck between 152-156 or so for over 2 years. I recently got a Body Media and my average TDEE in a month is 2900. My BMR is 1607.
    15% off of that would be around 2300. I've been holding my same weight forever now. I'll go down a bit if I lower to 1800 or so, but then I stall out and nothing happens.

Going up just a few hundred calories could maybe make the difference? Some insanely active days like yesterday (three classes, one dance practice, and one dog walk) I burned 3333 calories. I only ate 2200.
    I feel like a freak having a number that high.

LOL. There are other with numbers that high, but they may be larger than you are, or marathoners. Since cutting back the workouts aren't an option, I guess you gotta really fuel up, girl!

But in answer to your question, there are others, and 2300 isn't all that bad..... :smile:

Kiki
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    thank you!! I ordered a bodymedia fit link today. I am excited to get it in!! :):):)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

YES, lol. totally normal to feel like a bloated little piggy in the beginning, lol. This too shall pass :tongue:

Eventually, your body adapts, and starts BEGGING for food, and you'll wonder how you ever survived before.

As for which # to eat, you eat your cut # every day. Your exercise cals are already figured in, so you don't need to eat those back unless you have a crazy high burn day which causes you to burn more than what is figured in already (which makes you net below your BMR). For example, your numbers, 2119-1535=584. So that is assuming that you will burn 584 on average. On days that you burn more, you eat back the difference. So if you burn 684, eat back 100. other than that, just eat your cut # every day :wink:

Eat the same even on your off days, because TDEE figures in your total activity for the week, so the cals are already spread out accordingly.....

I feel like a freak having a number that high.

LOL. There are other with numbers that high, but they may be larger than you are, or marathoners. Since cutting back the workouts aren't an option, I guess you gotta really fuel up, girl!

But in answer to your question, there are others, and 2300 isn't all that bad..... :smile:

Kiki
    Thank you for the quick response! Could consistantly upping my calories just a couple hundred a day really make the difference? Have you seen it happen? I look a little puffier and my waist is up and inch since I started...although I do hear that is temporary. I just want to see progress. I did to a point at 1800..but that was an 1100 calorie deficit many days and that didn't seem right. Plus I'd never get down below 150. I'd just bounce around. I wish I could switch up my workouts, but for now they are in stone! :-)