ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thank you for response it makes me feel at ease with with upping my calories..so if I gonna start weight lifting what should I do?
    on my off days should I still eat that many calories?

Most people just prefer to eat the same amount daily. It just makes it simpler. Because your activity level is figured into your TDEE over the course of a week, the deficit is still built in, so that you can eat the same amount every day ;)

~Kiki
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Thank you for response it makes me feel at ease with with upping my calories..so if I gonna start weight lifting what should I do?

Hi Jonelle,

I see Kiki already answered you, but I wanted to tell you I can't wait to see your before and after pictures because I know you are going to have one big smile on your face....keep us posted hun!

Lucia
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    My TDEE is 2685
    15%cut is 2282
    BMR 1650

I was eating around 1800 and results are starting to turn around, the initial up is coming back down.. so i got excited and decided to go to my 15%....

Then i got scared... and changed it to 2000. which is just over a 20% cut...

:) ahhah.. I was brave, then i wasnt.....

Whoops. It takes time.. I'm getting there..

Hey there Juice,

We have all been there...it is a process. If you are doing good on the 1800 then just ride it out until you plateau...BUT...you must promise when you do...NEVER go back down....go up by 100 and ride that for a while, then up another 100.
  • Jonnelle06
    Options

Hi Jonelle,

I see Kiki already answered you, but I wanted to tell you I can't wait to see your before and after pictures because I know you are going to have one big smile on your face....keep us posted hun!

Lucia

Lucia
    Thank you for the encouragement I need it. I will keep your y'all posted
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was my first day of eating more - my goal is 1848 and I actually had 1883 - I did lower my multiplier to lightly active in stead of moderatly active so I am hoping that I'm not going over to much. Yes this feels weird to me - but I'm willing to give it a good try. Its going to take a while to try to fix healther dinners and I'm looking for recipies. I went over on carbs by 6 grams, sodium was under 2500, protein was only 96 grames and my goal is 160 so definately need to get that up, and the only other thing that was in red was my sugar. I'm not sure where that is coming from as I didn't eat any sweets and I didn't eat that much fruit so I'll have to look at that. I did have a glass of wine - which I don't do every night.

I didn't get my weight training in - but I plan on doing it tonight. Also, going to go and get the New Rules of Weight Training for Women today. And stress - it was a stressful day yesterday and I was just wiped last night - hence the wine - lol.

How is everyone else's progress. I'd love tips if you all have any.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    So yesterday was my first day of eating more - my goal is 1848 and I actually had 1883 - I did lower my multiplier to lightly active in stead of moderatly active so I am hoping that I'm not going over to much. Yes this feels weird to me - but I'm willing to give it a good try. Its going to take a while to try to fix healther dinners and I'm looking for recipies. I went over on carbs by 6 grams, sodium was under 2500, protein was only 96 grames and my goal is 160 so definately need to get that up, and the only other thing that was in red was my sugar. I'm not sure where that is coming from as I didn't eat any sweets and I didn't eat that much fruit so I'll have to look at that. I did have a glass of wine - which I don't do every night.

I didn't get my weight training in - but I plan on doing it tonight. Also, going to go and get the New Rules of Weight Training for Women today. And stress - it was a stressful day yesterday and I was just wiped last night - hence the wine - lol.

Sounds like your multiplier should be moderate activity.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!!
    So two weeks ago I upped my cals to 1530 and ate back exercise cals. This week I set my goal to 1800 and I'm only eating back exercise to BMR (which is 1400). Do you think since I upped then went back down, I'm starting "over" again. Like does the higher calories for the first two weeks negate this weeks change?
    I have been feeling really horrible the last couple of weeks. Bloated, pants tight, measurements NOT great, etc. I can't wait for this to all be over!!!
  • jchrisman717
    Options

I did that at first - but I sit all day at work so unless I get out and walk/run or get to the gym I don't do too much - so my thought was I would use the lightly active and then I would eat back any exercise calories over 411 - so that way it gives me more motiviation to actually get up and off my butt to workout - it will work this way right? So yesterday I only burned about 270 calories on my afternoon run so I only ate to my goal of 1848 (well about 40 calories over that).
  • Sobe1970
    Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a little nervous but am going to try this. I only have 6 pounds to go until I reach my original goal set 12 months ago. I had my settings at 1500 calories and was eating back all my exercise calories. I calculated my RMR to be 1450 and my TDEE to be 2260 with my cut at 1900. So...reset everything and will try for the half pound a week of weight loss. :noway:

DEFINITELY freaking out a bit. Ok, more than a bit.
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Good Morning!!
    So two weeks ago I upped my cals to 1530 and ate back exercise cals. This week I set my goal to 1800 and I'm only eating back exercise to BMR (which is 1400). Do you think since I upped then went back down, I'm starting "over" again. Like does the higher calories for the first two weeks negate this weeks change?
    I have been feeling really horrible the last couple of weeks. Bloated, pants tight, measurements NOT great, etc. I can't wait for this to all be over!!!

how much lower are your cals on average, now?

We typically recommend trying to be consistent w/the cals for the first 4-6 weeks, so that your body learns to trust you again, and is willing to let go of the extra. if there is too much fluctuation, your body senses binge/purge cycles, and will hold on for dear life (which is why it probably held on those first 2 weeks, because it "knew" that you'd drop them again, and it wanted to be prepared).

I did that at first - but I sit all day at work so unless I get out and walk/run or get to the gym I don't do too much - so my thought was I would use the lightly active and then I would eat back any exercise calories over 411 - so that way it gives me more motiviation to actually get up and off my butt to workout - it will work this way right? So yesterday I only burned about 270 calories on my afternoon run so I only ate to my goal of 1848 (well about 40 calories over that).

It could work, but it could also take longer. Because consistency is so important in the beginning, you run the risk of your body thinking that the higher days are "binges" and it will hold on since the low day is around the corner. Of course, when your metabolism has been well established, cycling your cals is not as big of a problem, and is actually an acute tactic when one is nearing the end of their journey.

But, when first upping your cals the main thing that you want to do is provide a steady supply of food daily. so that your body quickly "gets" that food is not as scarce as it once was, and then will begin to use the food for fuel, as needed, and discard the rest...

Plus when TDEE is figured out, it is taking into account all of your exercise combined for the entire week, so its perfectly acceptable to eat that amount, even when you don't "earn" it.

~Kiki
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    well after all the great help and advice starting today .weighed this morning and i have changed mfp cal goal to 1850 .
    i Will add my exercise cals for ref only just so i can check my net is over my bmr every day . i am also gonna try add more weights to my routine . i usually do 30 day shred but going to alternate with no more trouble zones . i used moderately active rather than light so hope Thats right and i think i Will order the rules on lifting for women
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    I have just joined this group and need some help. Been going on 1200 cals a day. I know I know. So at 5"4 and 164lbs.

My BMR=1560

MY TDEE=2145

So on days I exercise I should aim to eat 15% less than my TDEE and on non-exercise days make sure I eat at least my BMR?

Very confused. I cycle for 2hrs 3 days a week sometimes do some ab work on the other days. But thinking maybe doing strength on these other days.

Please help fed up of being fat :(. I have weights and Jillian Michaels Box set if this helps. Can someone message me. As I may not see a reply to this.

Thanks soooo much in advance.
    xx
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i am not am expert took me long enough , many questions and lots off reading to half understand it lol.
    from what i understand every day you eat your tdee -15% every single day exercise or not as its already added in
    then if you do tend to have a heavy exercise day make sure your net cals are not under your bmr. so you May need to eat slightly more on heavy exercise days
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    i am not am expert took me long enough , many questions and lots off reading to half understand it lol.
    from what i understand every day you eat your tdee -15% every single day exercise or not as its already added in
    then if you do tend to have a heavy exercise day make sure your net cals are not under your bmr. so you May need to eat slightly more on heavy exercise days

You got it!!!!
  • veepie
    Options
    Would probably be a huge shock to my system if I upped it that much...so will start this month upping it to 1500 my BMR. Then go up slowly. Been eating a net of 1200.....:/ x
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Would probably be a huge shock to my system if I upped it that much...so will start this month upping it to 1500 my BMR. Then go up slowly. Been eating a net of 1200.....:/ x

LoL, it will be a great shock either way. It does get easier eating more. During your increase make sure to get in 1gr protien per lb of wgt.
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    K I got it - your saying until your body gets used to the extra food it will keep holding on to those calories expecting to have a low calorie day where it will need them - hence you will not lose weight. Ok that makes sense. I'm trying - it has been harder than I thought as I'm trying to hit my macros. Though I have to say already I feel better and more positive about it all - where three days ago I was ready to throw the towel in and just wanted to cry about it. Knowing there is a lifestyle where I can eat and feel healthy means volumes.
  • veepie
    Options
    Is there anything high in protein I can have to reach my 160g target? Protein bars..will have to go out and buy them. Feeling incredibly bloated and full. struggled to eat this morning before my workout x
  • veepie
    Options
    Needs some menu ideas especially easy ones. As a busy mum and student nurse. x
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    K I got it - your saying until your body gets used to the extra food it will keep holding on to those calories expecting to have a low calorie day where it will need them - hence you will not lose weight. Ok that makes sense. I'm trying - it has been harder than I thought as I'm trying to hit my macros. Though I have to say already I feel better and more positive about it all - where three days ago I was ready to throw the towel in and just wanted to cry about it. Knowing there is a lifestyle where I can eat and feel healthy means volumes.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. that's the main thing that hurts most of us at the beginning of the journey. We'll have a few high days, trying to eat more, then we'll say "I can't take being stuffed" and have a low day. To our body, it's no different than when we ate 1200 cals for weeks then give in to a crazy binge. It has to trust that this "eat more" thing is the real deal, before it begins to operate accordingly.

Is there anything high in protein I can have to reach my 160g target? Protein bars..will have to go out and buy them. Feeling incredibly bloated and full. struggled to eat this morning before my workout x

There are a few threads out where people have asked similar questions. But you may want to even start your own (new) thread, so that people can see your question, it's liable to get buried in here, lol. There are so many options that will work well for different people. Protein bars and powders are just a couple of other quick protein methods out there.

~Kiki