• versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'd like to ask for help now :)

I started eating 1200 calories which was upped from about 800, if that a day - around 3 weeks ago.
    I read about BMR, TDEE and such and realised I should eat more calories.
    Then I upped my cal intake to 1400, since doing that I put on 2 pounds.
    My BMR - 1,585kcal.

I had a baby 5 weeks ago, I dunno if that could be effecting anything or not?
    Should I be eating more than my BMR weight?
    Help would be appreciated!

Yes ma'am, you should definitely be eating more than your BMR. BMR are the minimum cals needed to just lay in bed all day. Take a look at the sticky threads, and they will help you immensely. Once you figure out your TDEE and weight loss cals, you can continue to up your cals to that level. Also be sure to read on what to expect, as fluctuations are normal, and if you know upfront, the changes that will occur, you will be well equipped for your (non-starvation induced) weight loss journey. ;)

Highly recommended reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Kiki ;)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I'd like to ask for help now :)

I started eating 1200 calories which was upped from about 800, if that a day - around 3 weeks ago.
    I read about BMR, TDEE and such and realised I should eat more calories.
    Then I upped my cal intake to 1400, since doing that I put on 2 pounds.
    My BMR - 1,585kcal.

I had a baby 5 weeks ago, I dunno if that could be effecting anything or not?
    Should I be eating more than my BMR weight?
    Help would be appreciated!

Oh my, I'm sorry I sure did miss your post.

YESSSSS, you especially should be eating probably more at maintenance since you just had a baby, your body is trying to heal itself. If you are nursing you need add'l calories.

Anyway, I understand wanting to lose the baby weight, but right now your body is trying to heal and you have cut calories drastically so it is surely in starvation mode. You are not eating enough to support basic body functions...I mean to lay in the bed all day and not move... If I were you, regardless of what the scale says, I would eat maintenance for at least 8wks. That is my opinion. Not so much about the weight loss, but providing your body the nutrients to go through the healing process after birth. If you feel the need to cut, then do no more than 15% less then TDEE. Never eat below your BMR. When you eat less than that amount, your metabolism slows to meet the cut, which still results in NO weight loss or loss w/ muscle tissue being used for energy. The moment you start to eat a bit more, your calorie threshold is low so you seem to gain immediately. Well, to combat that you have to continue to eat at a higher level for you body to adjust, to realize you are going to continue to provide the nutrients it needs to function.

Please read the topic sticky on this board regarding what to expect when you are upping. AND on the main page there is an article listed and the link by Tom Venuto which explains exactly what is happening and how to correct it.

I know you want to see the scale move, but not at the cost of damaging your metabolism any further...or the cost of precious muscle tissue...
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Oh my, Kiki and I were on the same mission at the same time...lol
  • andieb75
    andieb75 Posts: 26
    Options
    Ah still so confused! Please tell me what to do. My stats- age 36, height 5'6,weight 127, goal 120' TDEE 2100' BMR 1800. I am moderately active- seditary job but workout 3-4 times a week. This site has allotted me only 1230 cal a day in order for me to lose a lb a week. Seems so low! Also this sit says my BMR is only 1280 but mant others say around 1800' what gives?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ah still so confused! Please tell me what to do. My stats- age 36, height 5'6,weight 127, goal 120' TDEE 2100' BMR 1800. I am moderately active- seditary job but workout 3-4 times a week. This site has allotted me only 1230 cal a day in order for me to lose a lb a week. Seems so low! Also this sit says my BMR is only 1280 but mant others say around 1800' what gives?

I'd figure your BMR to be somewhere around 1350, so both numbers seem a little off. If your TDEE is 2100 then the 1800 is more likely to be your "cut" #. So that's the amount that you'd eat to lose (which already includes workout cals).
  • andieb75
    Options
    ok I'm getting there. So basically I should change my cal goal to 1350 to lose weight? but never go over 1800? So on here I should change the goal instead of giong with the recomened 1230? Also, should 1350 be my net calories including excercise? Will i eat back my calories if i by working out I go under 1350? Oh i hope im not confusing you, I am confusing myself. and thank you thank you thank you for your help!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    ok I'm getting there. So basically I should change my cal goal to 1350 to lose weight? but never go over 1800? So on here I should change the goal instead of giong with the recomened 1230? Also, should 1350 be my net calories including excercise? Will i eat back my calories if i by working out I go under 1350? Oh i hope im not confusing you, I am confusing myself. and thank you thank you thank you for your help!

No you eat 1800 everyday and don't NET less than BMR on workout days.
  • andieb75
    Options
    oh thank you so much for your help I think I got it!!!!! calorie goal- 1800 (and if I work out I dont need to eat back calories UNLESS it puts me below 1340, my BMR. Whew!
  • kudilein
    kudilein Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks very much to both of you.
    I just found out about all that stuff I should´t eat two weeks ago in one of the groups here about weight loss and hypothyroidism. No one ever told me, even I´m diagnosed for 9 years now.
    I felt fine for a while but at the moment I feel much more tired than I use to do and a bit down and easily frustrated.
    My doctor just tested my levels and the nurse told me on the phone my levels would be "satisfactory, no action needed" on the phone, but I actually haven´t talked to my doctor and seen my levels. Maybe I should make another appointment.
    I think I probably should give the change in my diet a chance to work. How long did it take, that you felt better, after you changed your diet?
    What do you think, how much calories should I eat, till my metabolism is working proper again? Could someone help me calculating?
    Thanks very much for your open ear, that group here is brilliant :)
  • kudilein
    Options
    I eat at the moment about 1700 calories and do a little exercise about twice a week. I do that now for about 7-8 weeks but I only lost 1.5 kg and I haven´t lost anything for about 4 weeks. I got a hypothyroidism and wondered, if my basic calories required might be lower, than I would calculate with my age and weight etc.?! Do you think I should eat less calories? And I´m not sure, how really to calculate everything, is there anyone out there, who could help? I´m a bit frustrated :(

It depends. Have you been tested, or do you know if your body is able to adequately digest proteins and fats? As long as you can process them adequately, then increasing your cals slowly can still work for you. You would want to be careful about increasing using foods that don't interfere w/your meds, and supply your body w/enough iodine/thyroid stimulating foods. With care and attention to those things, your body will be able to produce more of the thyroid increasing hormones. As long as you keep up some regular exercise, it will continue to enhance this process.

Otherwise, yes, under-active thyroid can lower your BMR by as much as 40%. Which would mean that less food is required to keep things running. Without increasing your activity level (along w/the food), it will be much harder to keep your hypothyroidism under control. It may be a bit slower moving, but it can be done.

Keep your head up ;)

Kiki

Well, I can speak from some personal experience here, I had hyperthyroidism and then had it irradiated so now I am hypo...Kiki is right about foods, I found out the hard way that peanuts and soy products will interfere with your thyroid med uptake if you are on synthroid or some other thyroid replacement therapy. Also, and this was BIG for me, I remember I went to the dr to check my thyroid because I just felt so lethargic, and I couldn't lose weight and she insisted that my levels were in the "range"...WELL, she then called me back and said that I fell closer to the lower end of the range and that some people feel better at the higher and she upped my med...Lord have mercy, I felt life again. So, my current dr is totally aware where I need to fall in the range and I can pretty much now tell him where I am at quite accurately based on how I feel. My dr always runs a full thyroid panel because if they just go off the TSH (and mine runs high) and it is high, they think oh your meds are too high, but they have to look at the whole picture...where do the T3 and T4 fall? So that is something else to consider.

Also, don't take your med with food, it should be on an empty stomach at least half hour before eating and do not eat any diary products within an hour of taking your med. Would you believe I was on the med for over 10 yrs and not one dr told me that. I found that out when they started printing the information labels on the scripts...I found out on the side of a bottle...just UNREAL!!!

Funny story, I got on the soy bandwagon, soy burger, soy this soy that...then I had a peanut thing going on too, oh my, the dry skin, the weight gain, the lethargy hit me like a ton of bricks....Soy and something in the peanut(I totally can't remember now) blocks uptake...so here I am takiung my meds and feeling just horrible. So, after finding that out, I stay away from soy products and limit peanut products. I am sure I just over did it, but I don't want anything to cause me to ever feel like that again.

Anyway, if you are meds and still feeling the effects of it, it is not under control...demand the dr give you a full thyroid panel test and ask him to SHOW you were you fall in the "range". If you are at the lower end then ask him to bump you and test in 6wks to see where you are then because you don't feel well. There is no reason to feel any of the hypothyroidism symptoms.

I just found out about all that stuff I should´t eat two weeks ago in one of the groups here about weight loss and hypothyroidism. No one ever told me, even I´m diagnosed for 9 years now.
    I felt fine for a while but at the moment I feel much more tired than I use to do and a bit down and easily frustrated.
    My doctor just tested my levels and the nurse told me on the phone my levels would be "satisfactory, no action needed" on the phone, but I actually haven´t talked to my doctor and seen my levels. Maybe I should make another appointment.
    I think I probably should give the change in my diet a chance to work. How long did it take, that you felt better, after you changed your diet?
    What do you think, how much calories should I eat, till my metabolism is working proper again? Could someone help me calculating?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I eat at the moment about 1700 calories and do a little exercise about twice a week. I do that now for about 7-8 weeks but I only lost 1.5 kg and I haven´t lost anything for about 4 weeks. I got a hypothyroidism and wondered, if my basic calories required might be lower, than I would calculate with my age and weight etc.?! Do you think I should eat less calories? And I´m not sure, how really to calculate everything, is there anyone out there, who could help? I´m a bit frustrated :(

It depends. Have you been tested, or do you know if your body is able to adequately digest proteins and fats? As long as you can process them adequately, then increasing your cals slowly can still work for you. You would want to be careful about increasing using foods that don't interfere w/your meds, and supply your body w/enough iodine/thyroid stimulating foods. With care and attention to those things, your body will be able to produce more of the thyroid increasing hormones. As long as you keep up some regular exercise, it will continue to enhance this process.

Otherwise, yes, under-active thyroid can lower your BMR by as much as 40%. Which would mean that less food is required to keep things running. Without increasing your activity level (along w/the food), it will be much harder to keep your hypothyroidism under control. It may be a bit slower moving, but it can be done.

Keep your head up ;)

Kiki

Well, I can speak from some personal experience here, I had hyperthyroidism and then had it irradiated so now I am hypo...Kiki is right about foods, I found out the hard way that peanuts and soy products will interfere with your thyroid med uptake if you are on synthroid or some other thyroid replacement therapy. Also, and this was BIG for me, I remember I went to the dr to check my thyroid because I just felt so lethargic, and I couldn't lose weight and she insisted that my levels were in the "range"...WELL, she then called me back and said that I fell closer to the lower end of the range and that some people feel better at the higher and she upped my med...Lord have mercy, I felt life again. So, my current dr is totally aware where I need to fall in the range and I can pretty much now tell him where I am at quite accurately based on how I feel. My dr always runs a full thyroid panel because if they just go off the TSH (and mine runs high) and it is high, they think oh your meds are too high, but they have to look at the whole picture...where do the T3 and T4 fall? So that is something else to consider.

Also, don't take your med with food, it should be on an empty stomach at least half hour before eating and do not eat any diary products within an hour of taking your med. Would you believe I was on the med for over 10 yrs and not one dr told me that. I found that out when they started printing the information labels on the scripts...I found out on the side of a bottle...just UNREAL!!!

Funny story, I got on the soy bandwagon, soy burger, soy this soy that...then I had a peanut thing going on too, oh my, the dry skin, the weight gain, the lethargy hit me like a ton of bricks....Soy and something in the peanut(I totally can't remember now) blocks uptake...so here I am takiung my meds and feeling just horrible. So, after finding that out, I stay away from soy products and limit peanut products. I am sure I just over did it, but I don't want anything to cause me to ever feel like that again.

Anyway, if you are meds and still feeling the effects of it, it is not under control...demand the dr give you a full thyroid panel test and ask him to SHOW you were you fall in the "range". If you are at the lower end then ask him to bump you and test in 6wks to see where you are then because you don't feel well. There is no reason to feel any of the hypothyroidism symptoms.

You can request a copy of the report...your number is listed for the T3, T4, TSH and then there is a range beside it...if you fall anywhere in that range, they will tell you you are good...BUT, if you are on the lower end of the range..it may not be good for YOU. So, I suggest staying the course with TDEE - 15% with your new found info on the foods....and getting that information from your doctor....if you find you are on the lower end of the ranges, then make an appt. If you have been taking the pill with food or with dairy products or walnuts close to time taken, then stop that and see how you feel. I take it the first thing before even brushing my teeth...then I brush and drink some water...so I have a good 30-60min before eating anything...if you start to feel better doing that for six weeks it may be that what you were doing was inhibiting uptake... That alone can cause you to be on the lower range...it must be taken by itself. I too was never told...for years I took with a meal and such...ughh...drs....
  • kudilein
    Options
    You can request a copy of the report...your number is listed for the T3, T4, TSH and then there is a range beside it...if you fall anywhere in that range, they will tell you you are good...BUT, if you are on the lower end of the range..it may not be good for YOU. So, I suggest staying the course with TDEE - 15% with your new found info on the foods....and getting that information from your doctor....if you find you are on the lower end of the ranges, then make an appt. If you have been taking the pill with food or with dairy products or walnuts close to time taken, then stop that and see how you feel. I take it the first thing before even brushing my teeth...then I brush and drink some water...so I have a good 30-60min before eating anything...if you start to feel better doing that for six weeks it may be that what you were doing was inhibiting uptake... That alone can cause you to be on the lower range...it must be taken by itself. I too was never told...for years I took with a meal and such...ughh...drs....

Ok, thanks. So will keep on leaving out soy, gluten and a few other things and will see what happens.
    I wasn´t taking it with food, but would have cereals with milk about 45 minutes after taking my pill I now I seen I should´t have calcium up to 4 hours after taking the pill.
    will ask my doctor as well for a copy of my report and see what it says.... I find it very hard to find and fight my way through all of that... sad, that the doctors don´t know what they doing, how it seems :(
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Ok, thanks. So will keep on leaving out soy, gluten and a few other things and will see what happens.
    I wasn´t taking it with food, but would have cereals with milk about 45 minutes after taking my pill I now I seen I should´t have calcium up to 4 hours after taking the pill.
    will ask my doctor as well for a copy of my report and see what it says.... I find it very hard to find and fight my way through all of that... sad, that the doctors don´t know what they doing, how it seems :(

Oh wow, I haven't read a thing about gluten regarding hypothyrodism. I sure do eat it...lol.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I log my exercise here. I just change the calorie amount to 1 calorie burned, because I too already have my exercise calories built in. (It won't let you put in 0 that's why I use 1)

I was wondering why I see so many others doing that. Thanks!
  • kudilein
    Options

Oh wow, I haven't read a thing about gluten regarding hypothyrodism. I sure do eat it...lol.

I read about it in one of the other groups here and wash´t quite sure so I googled it and found only a bit about it. But some pages say, if you have a family history of hypothyroidism or if you are sensitive to gluten, you should try to cut it out as much as possible. I have both of that and changed now to gluten free bread and pasta and at least I don´t look like 6 month pregnant i the evening anymore.
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    I totally got it now, Thank you soo much!!!

Last week, I only ate 1200 calories plus whatever calories I burned. For example – workout 500 calories, plus 1200 daily = 1700 cals. Last week, I struggled with every workout and couldn’t figure out why I was having such a hard time getting in just 400 calories, when I normally burn, 500 to 700 a workout. I mentioned it to my husband Danny and he said it was because I work out so much that my body is used to that and now having a hard time hitting those calories with my workouts and I actually thought he was right and was thinking, not good, what am I going to do because I’m killin myself trying to get in 500 and if that’s not enough, I don’t have it in me to do more than that 5 to 6 workouts a week.

Then I read the article from the Group Eat More to Weigh Less on My Fit Pal Website - TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR and it totally made sense to me, because before last week, I ate more calories and had the energy to get through my workouts and burn 500 to 700 calories and not feel hungry or deprived or nothing, but when I lowered them like MFP told me, I was way under for the amount of activity level I do. MTP will use 1200 for everyone when trying to lose weight and in reality that is just not the case.

So this week I up’d my calories and BANG, had the energy to get through my workouts and didn’t feel hungry. I worked out Monday, burned 531 calories, worked out Tuesday, burned 600 calories( this was on the treadmill with two 5lb weights on my legs for a total of 20 mins, total workout, 50mins) WTF right!!!, so I’m going to Eat More to Weigh Less!
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention, I have 3.5 lbs to go and just did my measurements and my waist at the smallest point is down 1" and my hips are down 1" as well, my belly at the navel is the same, what can I do to reduce that area.

Also, this week, I'm going to up my weights, see what that brings, wish me luck!!

Thanks again for sharing this information, it really helped me!
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    So I changed my goals in MFP to 1725 calories, Carb 40, Protein 30, Fat 30 and Fiber 30, changed my exercise to 2200 weekly 5 days a week.

It brought my calories deficit to a negative -285 and my weekly weight loss goal to a negative -.05lbs per week. (this should not be negative?)

Then I added exercise from the Home tab, and clicked on track exercise, added boxing 60 mins - burn 500 calories and then went to add my food, and it added the 500 cals to my total calories, so 1725 plus 500 = 2225 total. But shouldn't it be only 90 calories added to my total of 1725,

TDEE 1725 - BMR 1315 = 410, anything exercised over that eat back, eg - 500 calories boxing, subtract 410 = 90 calories, added to 1725 = 1815.

Please help!
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    These are the figures my fit pal spit out today

Total calories - 1534 Carbs - 115 Fat - 54 Protein - 116
    Daily goal - 1726 Carbs - 173 Fat - 58 Protein - 129
    Reaming - 192 Carbs - 58 Fat - 4 Protein - 13

If everyday were like today you'd weigh 122.1lbs

I only weight 121.6 today and want to weigh 118lbs.

What's wrong!!