ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So I changed my goals in MFP to 1725 calories, Carb 40, Protein 30, Fat 30 and Fiber 30, changed my exercise to 2200 weekly 5 days a week.

It brought my calories deficit to a negative -285 and my weekly weight loss goal to a negative -.05lbs per week. (this should not be negative?)

Then I added exercise from the Home tab, and clicked on track exercise, added boxing 60 mins - burn 500 calories and then went to add my food, and it added the 500 cals to my total calories, so 1725 plus 500 = 2225 total. But shouldn't it be only 90 calories added to my total of 1725,

TDEE 1725 - BMR 1315 = 410, anything exercised over that eat back, eg - 500 calories boxing, subtract 410 = 90 calories, added to 1725 = 1815.

Please help!
    This is correct...

You must ignore what MFP says...if it were so, I would be gaining and I am not. Based on my numbers I should be gaining .3lbs weekly and I am not.

I have no idea what calcs MFP uses, but they don't take into account exercise calories.

The method used by all of us here, is to eat your tdee - 15% daily and start eating back if you drop below Net of your BMR. Weekly you will still be in a deficit period. Your body needs the fuel and eating as MFP suggest causes the metabolism to slow at some point to meet the lower intake. Why in the world deprive yourself of good healthy nutrients that your body needs. Why drop weight fast and regain because you have slowed your metabolism...said all that to say...ignore MFP and give this a go...for at least 4-6wks...and keep us posted!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    These are the figures my fit pal spit out today

Total calories - 1534 Carbs - 115 Fat - 54 Protein - 116
    Daily goal - 1726 Carbs - 173 Fat - 58 Protein - 129
    Reaming - 192 Carbs - 58 Fat - 4 Protein - 13

If everyday were like today you'd weigh 122.1lbs

I only weight 121.6 today and want to weigh 118lbs.

What's wrong!!

Not a thing is wrong...don't go by those numbers...do as you mentioned early with your macro ratios and tdee-15%....you will be fine:-)
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    Ok, I'll send in weekly weigh ins and measurements. Tks again
  • Kcham817
    Kcham817 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I have a better idea of what I should be aiming for:

TDEE: 2307
    Daily Calorie Goal: 1961 (TDEE - 15%)
    BMR: 1488
    Daily Calorie Deficit: 473 (Daily Calorie Goal-BMR)

Question on the days I don't work out, should I only be eating at my BMR or my daily calorie goal?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I have a better idea of what I should be aiming for:

TDEE: 2307
    Daily Calorie Goal: 1961 (TDEE - 15%)
    BMR: 1488
    Daily Calorie Deficit: 473 (Daily Calorie Goal-BMR)

Question on the days I don't work out, should I only be eating at my BMR or my daily calorie goal?

You eat 1961 every single day!!!:-) On high burn days you only start eating back if you burn over the 473...

Remember protein is key...1gr per lb of body weight!
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    Thanks so much for the clarifications. According to the numbers I am supposed to be eating 1955 calories a day?! I can't imagine that to be right but that's how the math came out. I guess if I eat the right types of food I will give it a go and see how I do! :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Thanks so much for the clarifications. According to the numbers I am supposed to be eating 1955 calories a day?! I can't imagine that to be right but that's how the math came out. I guess if I eat the right types of food I will give it a go and see how I do! :)

Hey there,

I know it seems like a lot and I tell you to work on getting in calorie dense foods like nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, greek yogurt, nut butters...that helps with the calories and gives you good fats too. I promise it gets so much easier over time that you just can't imagine how in the world you ate any less daily...
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I am probably the only one but I am still struggling to understand all of this (I do struggle with logic at the best of times!).

Could one of you kind people lend a hand?

I have around 14lb to lose. I am female, 28, 5ft7in and weigh 167lb.

When I first started following this properly I managed to lose 6lb but I haven't lost anything in weeks. I have been playing around with calorie goals because at first I was following the ones set up as standard by MFP.

I fully understand that really I should be aiming for a more realistic 0.5lb loss per week, so I would just like to know what calorie goal I should stick to? All this informarion about it already including exercise is really messing my head up!

Here are MY stats.

BMR - 1520
    TDEE (FITNESS FROG CALCULATOR) - 1870

I have a desk job however work out 3-4 times per week. Usually, 3 gym visits consisting of 40 mins cardio and strength training and one outdoors run for around 30-40 mins.

Please help!!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I am probably the only one but I am still struggling to understand all of this (I do struggle with logic at the best of times!).

When I first started following this properly I managed to lose 6lb but I haven't lost anything in weeks. I have been playing around with calorie goals because at first I was following the ones set up as standard by MFP.

I fully understand that really I should be aiming for a more realistic 0.5lb loss per week, so I would just like to know what calorie goal I should stick to? All this informarion about it already including exercise is really messing my head up!

Here are MY stats.

BMR - 1520

I have a desk job however work out 3-4 times per week. Usually, 3 gym visits consisting of 40 mins cardio and strength training and one outdoors run for around 30-40 mins.

Please help!!

I would use activity level moderate which would make your TDEE 2356. So your cut value to eat daily is 2000...yes 2000 every single day. Now if you burn more than 480 calories on any of your workout days, then you start eating back to net your BMR.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Here are MY stats.

BMR - 1520

Please help!!

I would use activity level moderate which would make your TDEE 2356. So your cut value to eat daily is 2000...yes 2000 every single day. Now if you burn more than 480 calories on any of your workout days, then you start eating back to net your BMR.

Thanks! I'll give this a try! :-)
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling to lose weight since mid-December. I have recently really started to up my exercise and still watch my calories. I had my goal set to 1300 but was logging and eating back all or at least most of my exercise calories. I don't have a HMR so I was using either the machine I was using at the gym, or using mapmyfitness app which goes by the distance you are going to get your calories and then logging just a bit less. I have been carefully logging my calories with the exception of one day a week I was not logging my alcohol calories, but I have been really watching my alcohol intake, wine instead of beer, etc. So over the last 4 weeks - I have gained a pound! After looking at my diary I'm thinking maybe I am not eating enough. I am fairly athletic, I have good muscle tone on my legs and I would much rather look healthy and toned then skinny. So I'm going to get the New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women. But I could use some help to get started.

I run/walk (doing the couch to 5k) anywhere from 40 to 50 min. a day at lunch (5days a week). I do weight training 3 nights a week with a warm up on the elliptical or bike. On the weekends I usually walk if we are away on an event, or I go to the gym and/or run at least one day on the weekend.

My stats are: I am 47, weight is 165 and I am 5'2. Here's what I got for my numbers - can you tell me if this is correct (like I see a lot on here - I am afraid of eating too much!).

BMR is 1438, TDEE is 2451 (I took it x1.55 since I work out at least 3 days a week) so 15% off that is 2100. So I should set my new goals on MFP at 2100 - do not eat back any exercse calories unless I burn more than 662 a day - then I should eat back to Net my BMR of 1438. Is that correct?

I really appreciate your help and this group as what I have been doing is NOT working and I have been so frustrated.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have been struggling to lose weight since mid-December. I have recently really started to up my exercise and still watch my calories. I had my goal set to 1300 but was logging and eating back all or at least most of my exercise calories. I don't have a HMR so I was using either the machine I was using at the gym, or using mapmyfitness app which goes by the distance you are going to get your calories and then logging just a bit less. I have been carefully logging my calories with the exception of one day a week I was not logging my alcohol calories, but I have been really watching my alcohol intake, wine instead of beer, etc. So over the last 4 weeks - I have gained a pound! After looking at my diary I'm thinking maybe I am not eating enough. I am fairly athletic, I have good muscle tone on my legs and I would much rather look healthy and toned then skinny. So I'm going to get the New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women. But I could use some help to get started.

I run/walk (doing the couch to 5k) anywhere from 40 to 50 min. a day at lunch (5days a week). I do weight training 3 nights a week with a warm up on the elliptical or bike. On the weekends I usually walk if we are away on an event, or I go to the gym and/or run at least one day on the weekend.

My stats are: I am 47, weight is 165 and I am 5'2. Here's what I got for my numbers - can you tell me if this is correct (like I see a lot on here - I am afraid of eating too much!).

BMR is 1438, TDEE is 2451 (I took it x1.55 since I work out at least 3 days a week) so 15% off that is 2100. So I should set my new goals on MFP at 2100 - do not eat back any exercse calories unless I burn more than 662 a day - then I should eat back to Net my BMR of 1438. Is that correct?

I really appreciate your help and this group as what I have been doing is NOT working and I have been so frustrated.

Lady, you have got it down pat! You can update your MFP by going to Goal->Custom and update your cals and macros there...please ignore what MFP says you will lose. And also please read what to expect when upping your cals at the top of the group topics.

So happy you are here....keep us posted!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Doing it right now and will keep you updated on my progress! I have read that topic earlier so I am ready to get started!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

How important do you think it is to include the 10% digestion into the equation?

BMR is 1392
    TDEE is 2157

My cut # from that is 1833 but my cut # after the 10% is 2017. That's almost a 200cal difference.
    How does everyone calulate?

Yesterday, I set me cals to 1800, should I keep to there for a few weeks and reassess?

Thanks!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

How important do you think it is to include the 10% digestion into the equation?

BMR is 1392
    TDEE is 2157

My cut # from that is 1833 but my cut # after the 10% is 2017. That's almost a 200cal difference.

Yesterday, I set me cals to 1800, should I keep to there for a few weeks and reassess?

Thanks!

I didn't include the 10%, but I am also of the mindset that I will keep going up in cals if I plateau. So, start with the 1800, give that at least 4-6wks and you should start to see the scale move downward. If you plateau wait to 4wks to make sure it is a plateau and then bump up 100 cals and wait. I know it seems like a crazy slow process, but it is so much more rewarding because of the fat loss that you see during the process.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

BMR is 1392
    TDEE is 2157

Thanks!

I didn't include the 10%, but I am also of the mindset that I will keep going up in cals if I plateau. So, start with the 1800, give that at least 4-6wks and you should start to see the scale move downward. If you plateau wait to 4wks to make sure it is a plateau and then bump up 100 cals and wait. I know it seems like a crazy slow process, but it is so much more rewarding because of the fat loss that you see during the process.

Great thanks!
  • Jonnelle06
    Options
    OK MY BMR is 1489
    and my TDEE is 2451
    and taking 15% 2083.5

I am really nervous Of eating this many calories I have been eating 1500 and waking up with headaches and going to sleep with headaches I'm scared I am going to gain weight so how many calories should I be eating .. I workout out 5 days a week I do Jillian Michaels every other day going to start every day and I run on the treadmill and walk for at least 90 mins...please anyone help me cause I am lost on all this ..my goals is to lose as much weight as possible I started at 205-210 now Im at 171 or at least i think last time I weighed my self was 2weeks ago . Im trying to get into the army they said I need to lose at least 10 more inches
    please help thank you for your time
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    OK MY BMR is 1489
    and my TDEE is 2451
    and taking 15% 2083.5

I am really nervous Of eating this many calories I have been eating 1500 and waking up with headaches and going to sleep with headaches I'm scared I am going to gain weight so how many calories should I be eating .. I workout out 5 days a week I do Jillian Michaels every other day going to start every day and I run on the treadmill and walk for at least 90 mins...please anyone help me cause I am lost on all this ..my goals is to lose as much weight as possible I started at 205-210 now Im at 171 or at least i think last time I weighed my self was 2weeks ago . Im trying to get into the army they said I need to lose at least 10 more inches
    please help thank you for your time

Hey lady,

Relax...it is a process and I hope you read What to expect when upping calories because it will help you through the process.

You may be doing way too much cardio...you want to gain muscle, lose fat, thereby losing inches...if there is anyway, start a weight lifting program...that will do it for you along with...eating.

Eat, 2080 daily and ONLY eat more on high burn days if you burn more than 580 calories....

You want to lose weight productively and not burn out...you want to be efficient and not overtrain...please consider...doing a weight lifting session every other day and on the two days in between, do 30 mins of cardio...HIIT training...if you want to do it on the treadmill that is fine...3 min warm up at a moderate pace, then 30 secs fast as you can , 90 sec moderate pace, 30 sec fast as you can...continue that for the 20 min and then do a 7-10 min cool down slow pace.

Trust me...it is not necessary to kill yourself with cardio....you lift heavy and hiit train...and eat to support it and you will lose lots of fat and gain wonderful fat burning muscle!
  • Jonnelle06
    Options
    Thank you for response it makes me feel at ease with with upping my calories..so if I gonna start weight lifting what should I do?
    on my off days should I still eat that many calories?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2685
    15%cut is 2282
    BMR 1650

I was eating around 1800 and results are starting to turn around, the initial up is coming back down.. so i got excited and decided to go to my 15%....

Then i got scared... and changed it to 2000. which is just over a 20% cut...

:) ahhah.. I was brave, then i wasnt.....

Whoops. It takes time.. I'm getting there..