ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    also how often should I eat? I'm not hungry, but I know I have to eat this food to make this work.
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have received this question quite a few times so hopefully this will help (ofcourse please plug in your own numbers).

Let's say your TDEE is 2300 then you subtract 15% so that you now have your cut value of 1955.

Let's say your BMR is 1500.

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.
    Ok my BMR is 1,680 and my TDEE is 2,635.
    So do I just eat 1,680 unless I burn more than 659 calories? Then I will add what ever I go over?
    TDEE - 15% is 2,239
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have received this question quite a few times so hopefully this will help (ofcourse please plug in your own numbers).

Let's say your TDEE is 2300 then you subtract 15% so that you now have your cut value of 1955.

Ok, so now you know the numbers, I suggest you then go into MFP Goal custom settings and change daily calorie goal to 1955, carbs 40, prot 30, fat 30, and fiber 30.

So, this takes into account your exercise so you shouldn't have to eat back any extra calories UNLESS (as in this example 1955-1500= 455) you burn over 455 calories. If you burn lets say 655 calories then you would need 200 extra calories on top of the 1955 to NET BMR.

If you make that change to your MFP goals then you can input your exercise and on your homepage of MFP it will show you where you stand with your NET calories...as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go...if not, then eat calories until you at least NET your BMR.
    So do I just eat 1,680 unless I burn more than 659 calories? Then I will add what ever I go over?
    TDEE - 15% is 2,239
    I was wrong....your saying I should eat 2,239 unless I burn more than 659 calories then I eat what I go over?
    So today I ate 2,200 but burned 840....I need to eat 179 more calories?
    I only ate this much because I thought I was supposed to net 1,700!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

TDEE - 15% is 2,239
    I was wrong....your saying I should eat 2,239 unless I burn more than 659 calories then I eat what I go over?
    So today I ate 2,200 but burned 840....I need to eat 179 more calories?
    I only ate this much because I thought I was supposed to net 1,700!

Yes, you should net your BMR at least on your workout days.
  • kristinx
    kristinx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok...so my BMR is 2111
    TDEE is 2534
    15% cut is 2154

I am not sure whether I should eat my TDEE for a couple weeks to rest metabolism then cut or just go with the cut.

What is usually done?

I've upped to around 2000-2200 the last week or so (though not eating the best stuff!) and have gained 5 lbs. Inches have stayed about the same though so I'm not panicking yet :)
  • ashfuse
    Options
    I literally get completely stuffed eating 1500-1700 cals a day (after burning 500-800 cals). AFter a year of logging I've literally not lost any weight. I've gained and lost the same 10 pounds 4 times. I used the scoobyworkshop calculator. I do insanity 5 days a week and am pretty active on my 2 off days. I am ordering ChaLean Extreme so I can start strength training. Eventually I want to do heavey lifting.
    I set my activity to heavily active and it gave me a BMR of 1535 , a TDEE of 2649, and a cut of 2119.

I'm so confused. do I eat 1535 or 2119? What about my off days?? and how do I eat that much food without puking? :( Up until a year ago I literally existed on 800 cals a day + tae bo. After upping to 1300 I felt so much better and lost a few pounds. Then got stalled and upped to 1450 on days I worked out. the only time I see real loss is when I stop working out. I love working out. Everything I have read in this group I totally agree with. Is it normal to feel ill in the beginning of upping b/c I literally feel as though I am force feeding myself :(
    YES, lol. totally normal to feel like a bloated little piggy in the beginning, lol. This too shall pass :tongue:

Eventually, your body adapts, and starts BEGGING for food, and you'll wonder how you ever survived before.

As for which # to eat, you eat your cut # every day. Your exercise cals are already figured in, so you don't need to eat those back unless you have a crazy high burn day which causes you to burn more than what is figured in already (which makes you net below your BMR). For example, your numbers, 2119-1535=584. So that is assuming that you will burn 584 on average. On days that you burn more, you eat back the difference. So if you burn 684, eat back 100. other than that, just eat your cut # every day :wink:

Eat the same even on your off days, because TDEE figures in your total activity for the week, so the cals are already spread out accordingly.....

Kiki

so, here is what I have done. I set MFP to maintinance and put 1950 cals for daily intake (just to be on the safe side). I eat this, every day, and not eat back any exercise cals? Am I on track?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I literally get completely stuffed eating 1500-1700 cals a day (after burning 500-800 cals). AFter a year of logging I've literally not lost any weight. I've gained and lost the same 10 pounds 4 times. I used the scoobyworkshop calculator. I do insanity 5 days a week and am pretty active on my 2 off days. I am ordering ChaLean Extreme so I can start strength training. Eventually I want to do heavey lifting.
    I set my activity to heavily active and it gave me a BMR of 1535 , a TDEE of 2649, and a cut of 2119.

I'm so confused. do I eat 1535 or 2119? What about my off days?? and how do I eat that much food without puking? :( Up until a year ago I literally existed on 800 cals a day + tae bo. After upping to 1300 I felt so much better and lost a few pounds. Then got stalled and upped to 1450 on days I worked out. the only time I see real loss is when I stop working out. I love working out. Everything I have read in this group I totally agree with. Is it normal to feel ill in the beginning of upping b/c I literally feel as though I am force feeding myself :(
    YES, lol. totally normal to feel like a bloated little piggy in the beginning, lol. This too shall pass :tongue:

Eventually, your body adapts, and starts BEGGING for food, and you'll wonder how you ever survived before.

As for which # to eat, you eat your cut # every day. Your exercise cals are already figured in, so you don't need to eat those back unless you have a crazy high burn day which causes you to burn more than what is figured in already (which makes you net below your BMR). For example, your numbers, 2119-1535=584. So that is assuming that you will burn 584 on average. On days that you burn more, you eat back the difference. So if you burn 684, eat back 100. other than that, just eat your cut # every day :wink:

Eat the same even on your off days, because TDEE figures in your total activity for the week, so the cals are already spread out accordingly.....

Kiki

so, here is what I have done. I set MFP to maintinance and put 1950 cals for daily intake (just to be on the safe side). I eat this, every day, and not eat back any exercise cals? Am I on track?

That's fine to start. Just make sure you're not burning more than 415 in exercise. And promise me, that if you hit a plateau, you'll consider moving up to your "real" cut # of 2119, k? :wink:
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Ok...so my BMR is 2111
    TDEE is 2534
    15% cut is 2154

I am not sure whether I should eat my TDEE for a couple weeks to rest metabolism then cut or just go with the cut.

What is usually done?

I've upped to around 2000-2200 the last week or so (though not eating the best stuff!) and have gained 5 lbs. Inches have stayed about the same though so I'm not panicking yet :)

Everyone chooses the route that works best for them. I chose to do the metabolism reset first, then cut. Lucia did the opposite, and many others are all across the board. We tell everyone to choose based on what they feel is best, we're all individuals. The best thing that you could do is hang around the forum, and read as much as you can, to get a feel for which methods worked best in different scenarios. You will quickly see how different everyone's journey is :wink:

I would say, that if you are not seeing results by 4- 6 weeks, then you probably needed to do a full reset. Some of us need to give our body more time than others, depending on different factors (like how long we ate low cals, and how much our metabolism has slowed)

The best part of the entire process is the fact that you become more in tune with your body and what it wants from you. It's a beautiful thing when you and your body begin to work together again, instead of opposing teams. Soon, you'll just *know*. :flowerforyou:

Kiki
  • SarahJane0691
    SarahJane0691 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I really don't get it :(

Can't I just set MFP calorie goal to my BMR, 1440 (according to fat to fit radio), and on a non-workout day eat 1440, and on a workout day eat 1440 PLUS calories burned?! So that my NET intake is always = to my BMR? PLEASE help!!!
  • ashfuse
    Options

Kiki

That's fine to start. Just make sure you're not burning more than 415 in exercise. And promise me, that if you hit a plateau, you'll consider moving up to your "real" cut # of 2119, k? :wink:

Okay so to do the reset, I should be eating my TDEE instead of my cut? I'm so confused now :/ I know I need to do something b/c the past year I've kept cals between 1300-1750 depending on workout (not net cals, total cals). I've been pretty active with lots of cardio--mostly tae bo and Insanity. I've lost no weight LOL and I eat a very clean diet so it makes no sense to me.
    Eventually I've love to go for my 2119. I am having a hard time even eating 1900 a day so far. I'm also struggling with how much to eat and how many times to eat. Does this matter or do I just graze all day long??? I don't know if there is a wrong or right way to schedule food LOL
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I really don't get it :(

Can't I just set MFP calorie goal to my BMR, 1440 (according to fat to fit radio), and on a non-workout day eat 1440, and on a workout day eat 1440 PLUS calories burned?! So that my NET intake is always = to my BMR? PLEASE help!!!

Ok pls keep in mind that bmr is what it takes to keep you alive for 24 hrs in bed no movement. To lose you need a deficit, so tdee takes your bmr and activity working out. So we suggest eating a 15% cut daily bec it is one amount to remember and there needs to be consistency so your body trusts you again. So we don't want just bmr daily and when you workout you eat those cals. We prefer the method of doing the avg w/ deficit so there is a consistant intake of fuel.

But is always your choice, you can do it that way if that is what you prefer.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am thankful I found this forum. I have been on MFP since Jan of this year. I am 5'3 and weigh 143. My goal is 135. I have lost 6 lbs since joining the site but have hit a plateau. I work out at least 5 days a week--running or walking and I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I, as many others have been following the recommended calories of 1,200. This amount of calories keep me full because I eat high protein and high fiber.

I calculated my BMR-1,360 and TDEE- 2,108 and cut rate at 1,792. So, your recommendation is that I consume 1,792 calories a day?
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    I am thankful I found this forum. I have been on MFP since Jan of this year. I am 5'3 and weigh 143. My goal is 135. I have lost 6 lbs since joining the site but have hit a plateau. I work out at least 5 days a week--running or walking and I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I, as many others have been following the recommended calories of 1,200. This amount of calories keep me full because I eat high protein and high fiber.

I calculated my BMR-1,360 and TDEE- 2,108 and cut rate at 1,792. So, your recommendation is that I consume 1,792 calories a day?

Yes, ma'am. Eat that amount everyday, exercise is already figured in, so you don't have to eat back exercise cals ;)

Okay so to do the reset, I should be eating my TDEE instead of my cut? I'm so confused now :/ I know I need to do something b/c the past year I've kept cals between 1300-1750 depending on workout (not net cals, total cals). I've been pretty active with lots of cardio--mostly tae bo and Insanity. I've lost no weight LOL and I eat a very clean diet so it makes no sense to me.
    Eventually I've love to go for my 2119. I am having a hard time even eating 1900 a day so far. I'm also struggling with how much to eat and how many times to eat. Does this matter or do I just graze all day long??? I don't know if there is a wrong or right way to schedule food LOL

Yes, for a reset you eat TDEE (maintenance cals).

Times don't really matter as long as you get the cals in each day. When first starting out, though, sometimes it is easier to set a timer every few hours to make sure that you eat *something* and not be left with a ton of cals to try to fit in at the end of the day. A few days of doing the timer method, and your body will begin to tell you when it's time to eat, and you can schedule meal times however works best for you :wink:

~Kiki
  • ashfuse
    Options
    After 3 days it's already easier to eat the extra cals. I ate 2100 yesterday with no problem LOL NEVER thought I'd do that. :):) GO MEE!! LOL
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    After 3 days it's already easier to eat the extra cals. I ate 2100 yesterday with no problem LOL NEVER thought I'd do that. :):) GO MEE!! LOL
    yay!!!!!!
  • palak126
    palak126 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Can someone clarify some things for me?

My BMR is 1383
    My TDEE is 1902 (lightly active 1-3hrs/week)

If I do a 15% cut from my TDEE, I will eat 1617 calories per day and since TDEE means not eating my exercise calories back. BUT, if I burn more than 234 calories via exercise, I will need to eat back the extra calories to atleast NET my BMR? Do I have this down correctly?

Is this almost like calorie zig-zagging because on exercise days, I will eat up to my BMR (depending on my burn) and on non-exercise days, I will eat up to my TDEE-15%?
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.. I need to look up my numbers again
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Can someone clarify some things for me?

My BMR is 1383
    My TDEE is 1902 (lightly active 1-3hrs/week)

If I do a 15% cut from my TDEE, I will eat 1617 calories per day and since TDEE means not eating my exercise calories back. BUT, if I burn more than 234 calories via exercise, I will need to eat back the extra calories to atleast NET my BMR? Do I have this down correctly?

Is this almost like calorie zig-zagging because on exercise days, I will eat up to my BMR (depending on my burn) and on non-exercise days, I will eat up to my TDEE-15%?

Exactly!
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thank you for response it makes me feel at ease with with upping my calories..so if I gonna start weight lifting what should I do?
    on my off days should I still eat that many calories?

Most people just prefer to eat the same amount daily. It just makes it simpler. Because your activity level is figured into your TDEE over the course of a week, the deficit is still built in, so that you can eat the same amount every day ;)

~Kiki

I am going to jump in here ... Are you saying that on workout days you net your cut value or just eat cut value and ignore all exercise cals? Not talking about high burn days
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Plus when TDEE is figured out, it is taking into account all of your exercise combined for the entire week, so its perfectly acceptable to eat that amount, even when you don't "earn" it.

~Kiki

So if for instance i put in that i work out 4 hours and i only work out 2 that week for some reason then do i still eat the same cals that i always have? As wouldn't this change my whole intake needs?