ONCE you have your TDEE and BMR...next step

Options

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "as long as it is higher than your BMR on that workout day you are good to go". What is IT? Calories burned from excercise?

I think IT is referring NET calories. You never want you calories eaten to be below your BMR. So if your BMR is 1400 and your calories per day are 1800 and you burned 400 in exercise, you are perfect for the day...eat those 1800 calories. If you burned OVER 400 calories you want to eat exercise calories back until your net is your BMR (1400).
    Make sense?
  • dizzymomma
    dizzymomma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have my TDEE (2588) , my 15% cut (about 2200) & my BMR (1675) - my big question (concern) is do I now immediately jump from eating 1600 calories to 2200??? Of course my fear is that I will gain 10 pounds (or more) immediately, get frustrated and quit altogether. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

That's how I'm feeling at the moment...up 7lbs in 4wks. I am really trying hard not to cut them back down. I'm holding the thought that good things will come from this!

Kate

So did you immediately up your calories or work up to it?
  • chersheppard
    chersheppard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this is my first day eating increased calories.

My beginning stats are:

Start - 213lbs
    Goal -175

I'm training for a my first Half Marathon, I run 3-4x's a week, do Reformer Pilates once a week and starting on May 5th I'm going back to doing the NROWL twice a week.

I hope this works!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have my TDEE (2588) , my 15% cut (about 2200) & my BMR (1675) - my big question (concern) is do I now immediately jump from eating 1600 calories to 2200??? Of course my fear is that I will gain 10 pounds (or more) immediately, get frustrated and quit altogether. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

My personality is JUMP in head long...if what I have done forever isn't working and I see proof that it is working for others and backed by truly common sense evidence...such as how in the world could I be eating less than what it takes to breathe all day?...me, JUMP...cause starving isn't fun to me.

In the What to expect when upping topic, it breaks it down more for you...you can do it slow and inch up slow and have less of a gain impact, or jump in and have to stabilize just the first go round...it is totally what you can handle mentally.

We tell you exactly what you can expect, there is no sugar coating...some gain, some lose, same gain a WHOLE lot, some LOSE a whole lot and gain a little back, some bounce a bit....but as this is progressing in the end, there is a downward movement in weight and inches...it happens. Some quit, but those who stick it out eventually trends downward. Sometimes it requires a little tweaking...sometimes it has to do with too much exercise, not being consistent and truly hitting numbers, some macros...there are so many variables and that is what the forum is here for...to help you through:-)
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

That's how I'm feeling at the moment...up 7lbs in 4wks. I am really trying hard not to cut them back down. I'm holding the thought that good things will come from this!

Kate

So did you immediately up your calories or work up to it?

I immediately went up to TDEE -15%. I think if your weight is going to go up its gonna go up....slowly might just soften the blow!
  • dizzymomma
    dizzymomma Posts: 11 Member
    Options

My personality is JUMP in head long...if what I have done forever isn't working and I see proof that it is working for others and backed by truly common sense evidence...such as how in the world could I be eating less than what it takes to breathe all day?...me, JUMP...cause starving isn't fun to me.

In the What to expect when upping topic, it breaks it down more for you...you can do it slow and inch up slow and have less of a gain impact, or jump in and have to stabilize just the first go round...it is totally what you can handle mentally.

We tell you exactly what you can expect, there is no sugar coating...some gain, some lose, same gain a WHOLE lot, some LOSE a whole lot and gain a little back, some bounce a bit....but as this is progressing in the end, there is a downward movement in weight and inches...it happens. Some quit, but those who stick it out eventually trends downward. Sometimes it requires a little tweaking...sometimes it has to do with too much exercise, not being consistent and truly hitting numbers, some macros...there are so many variables and that is what the forum is here for...to help you through:-)

This helps - thank you!!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Can you please tell me if I got this right?

I weigh 228lbs - exercise 3-5 times/week (just got back in the swing of things this week)

BMR: 1786

TDEE: 2769 - 15% (415.35) = 2353.65 --> daily calorie goal

I should never eat less than 1786 and only add workout calories if I burn more than 415.

As others have said, it scares me to death to eat that much...well, not literally :laugh:
    I guess I'll give it a try and see if it works for me.

As I did the calculations, I realize that these numbers fit *loosely* with the idea of eating the amount of calories you'd eat if you were at your goal weight, which is something I've read somewhere else. Is that part of your belief as well? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Can you please tell me if I got this right?

I weigh 228lbs - exercise 3-5 times/week (just got back in the swing of things this week)

BMR: 1786

TDEE: 2769 - 15% (415.35) = 2353.65 --> daily calorie goal

I should never eat less than 1786 and only add workout calories if I burn more than 415.

As others have said, it scares me to death to eat that much...well, not literally :laugh:
    I guess I'll give it a try and see if it works for me.

As I did the calculations, I realize that these numbers fit *loosely* with the idea of eating the amount of calories you'd eat if you were at your goal weight, which is something I've read somewhere else. Is that part of your belief as well? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

You did it right!

Your tdee goes down as you lose. We fuel our bodies here based on our now not what our goal Iis. You recalc every 5 to 10lbs.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You did it right!

Your tdee goes down as you lose. We fuel our bodies here based on our now not what our goal Iis. You recalc every 5 to 10lbs.

thank you! I'm starting today and have vowed not to get on a scale or measure myself at least for 4 weeks. I'll post how it goes then.
  • deirdre049
    deirdre049 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So my BMR according to the calculations at the beginning of this thread should be around 1389 (35yrs old, 140lbs, 5.3"). However I just paid for the BMR test where you breathe into a tube for 10minutes and it came back saying my BMR was 1210. I figured this because I've been competing in figure competitions for two years along with many years of low calorie or low-carb dieting and now my metabolism is sluggish :( Even though 1210 was in the 'normal' range (according to their terrible program) with the amount of muscle I have I should be at or above the calculated BMR of 1389.

Would you suggest I figure out my TDEE with the calculated BMR of 1389 or my tested BMR of 1210? I was going to go with the 1210, when I do that I end up with a 1750 cut value which is about what I've been eating for months (with a cheat day on the weekends) now but I'm not losing weight. I keep my cardio to only 20-30 minutes (HR at 140~) about 5x a week but I lift for an hour 5-6x per week.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    So my BMR according to the calculations at the beginning of this thread should be around 1389 (35yrs old, 140lbs, 5.3"). However I just paid for the BMR test where you breathe into a tube for 10minutes and it came back saying my BMR was 1210. I figured this because I've been competing in figure competitions for two years along with many years of low calorie or low-carb dieting and now my metabolism is sluggish :( Even though 1210 was in the 'normal' range (according to their terrible program) with the amount of muscle I have I should be at or above the calculated BMR of 1389.

Would you suggest I figure out my TDEE with the calculated BMR of 1389 or my tested BMR of 1210? I was going to go with the 1210, when I do that I end up with a 1750 cut value which is about what I've been eating for months (with a cheat day on the weekends) now but I'm not losing weight. I keep my cardio to only 20-30 minutes (HR at 140~) about 5x a week but I lift for an hour 5-6x per week.

I'd bump the cals higher, and go with the 1389. As a competitor that higher cal refeed is usually necessary, in order to combat the metabolism issues you're having now....and if you have never taken one, then I'd suggest doing so now.

Even if you go with the lower BMR #, I'd still up those cals. Like you said, if you've put on a decent amount of muscle, you gotta feed those babies :wink:

~Kiki
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is fascinating!!! It just doesn't seem possible. Help me out.....I'm 5'4" 214.6 lb. 38 y.o. I figured my bmr at 1707, tdee at 2347 with a goal of 1997. So My calculations state that I should eat 1997/day on workout days, correct? What about non-workout days? Of course if I burn more than 290, I should eat the amount in my surplus?
  • deirdre049
    deirdre049 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I'd bump the cals higher, and go with the 1389. As a competitor that higher cal refeed is usually necessary, in order to combat the metabolism issues you're having now....and if you have never taken one, then I'd suggest doing so now.

Even if you go with the lower BMR #, I'd still up those cals. Like you said, if you've put on a decent amount of muscle, you gotta feed those babies :wink:

~Kiki

I've decided not to compete at all this year until I can get my metabolism back to normal (and I'm nursing an injury). I'll work to getting up tot he 2,000 cut value (which is using the 1389 BMR) by adding 100 cals per week. I decided not to weight myself for all of April, and now that it's May I'm still not feeling inclined to do it since I think I LOOK better in the mirror. I'm going to stop doing traditional cardio (even though it is intervals on the machine) and switch to sprints 2x a week and leave 4 of my days heavy lifting and make 2 of them metabolic circuits and see if that helps shock my body too.

Also, I used an activity level of moderately active since I sit on my butt at work for the majority of the 9 hours plus a 2.5 hour commute each day. Am I being too conservative? Thanks!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    ok so i have been researching TDEE and BMR for what seems like months, I used to belong to TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) and had lost 65 pounds following a low calorie diet, then plateued. I had surgery in december and that's when I gained a good 30 pounds back :( but also learned about eating more to weigh less. Everyone who is losing weight around me have always done low calorie so when i brought up eating more to lose they looked at me like i had 3 heads:grumble:

Since gaining some weight back i've decided to change up my old way of thinking and try something new. I currently do zumba 2 to 3 times a week burning ~500 (per my hrm) and im adding in weight lifting starting this week. I'm going to start with Stronglifts 5x5 then go into NROLFW.

BMR : 1750
    TDEE : 2714 (moderately active)
    CUT: 2300
    according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator

this week i was eating 1900-2000 and lost 1.2 pounds..i was hoping for more to be honest. im nervous to up all the way to 2300 like others have said.
    my question is should i eat above the 2300 on days i burn over 550 to make sure i'm netting my BMR? and should i add more on lift days?
    Thanks in advanced and I would love any new friends that like to eat more to weigh less! :happy:
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    ok so i have been researching TDEE and BMR for what seems like months, I used to belong to TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) and had lost 65 pounds following a low calorie diet, then plateued. I had surgery in december and that's when I gained a good 30 pounds back :( but also learned about eating more to weigh less. Everyone who is losing weight around me have always done low calorie so when i brought up eating more to lose they looked at me like i had 3 heads:grumble:

Since gaining some weight back i've decided to change up my old way of thinking and try something new. I currently do zumba 2 to 3 times a week burning ~500 (per my hrm) and im adding in weight lifting starting this week. I'm going to start with Stronglifts 5x5 then go into NROLFW.

this week i was eating 1900-2000 and lost 1.2 pounds..i was hoping for more to be honest. im nervous to up all the way to 2300 like others have said.
    my question is should i eat above the 2300 on days i burn over 550 to make sure i'm netting my BMR? and should i add more on lift days?
    Thanks in advanced and I would love any new friends that like to eat more to weigh less! :happy:

No, just eat 2300 everyday. Only if you burn OVER 550 will you start to eat back the EXCESS. So if you burned 700 then you would add an additional 150 to your cut value.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

~Kiki

I've decided not to compete at all this year until I can get my metabolism back to normal (and I'm nursing an injury). I'll work to getting up tot he 2,000 cut value (which is using the 1389 BMR) by adding 100 cals per week. I decided not to weight myself for all of April, and now that it's May I'm still not feeling inclined to do it since I think I LOOK better in the mirror. I'm going to stop doing traditional cardio (even though it is intervals on the machine) and switch to sprints 2x a week and leave 4 of my days heavy lifting and make 2 of them metabolic circuits and see if that helps shock my body too.

Also, I used an activity level of moderately active since I sit on my butt at work for the majority of the 9 hours plus a 2.5 hour commute each day. Am I being too conservative? Thanks!

I think moderate is good for you.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options

No, just eat 2300 everyday. Only if you burn OVER 550 will you start to eat back the EXCESS. So if you burned 700 then you would add an additional 150 to your cut value.

thank you so much!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    This is fascinating!!! It just doesn't seem possible. Help me out.....I'm 5'4" 214.6 lb. 38 y.o. I figured my bmr at 1707, tdee at 2347 with a goal of 1997. So My calculations state that I should eat 1997/day on workout days, correct? What about non-workout days? Of course if I burn more than 290, I should eat the amount in my surplus?

Eat 1997 or just even it out and eat 2000 every single day. You will only eat more if you burn over 300 cals during a workout....then you only eat the excess. So if you burn 400 then you would eat an extra 100 for a total of 2100 for the day.