Schwaggggggg

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Some new mixed-use (gravel/asphalt) shoes for the Ridley came in yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

keep us posted on how they work out - they really do look an interesting combo / alternative to the traditional file tread with knobbly edges that I run for that sort of stuff...

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    keep us posted on how they work out - they really do look an interesting combo / alternative to the traditional file tread with knobbly edges that I run for that sort of stuff...

Will do. I have a mixed gravel/asphalt ride scheduled tomorrow, a climby gravel ride with looser, bigger gravel on Thursday, and a greenway/wooden bridges/road ride on Friday so I should have a good mix of experience with them this week. I'm looking forward to it.

For whatever it's worth, this review is what originally got me interested in these tires.

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    xkut60zmzrjr.jpg

The BF's new ride. I finally talked him into a skinny bike and he buys MY dream bike! Salsa Colossal (defunct as of 2017) with full Ultegra. Sooo purty.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Some new mixed-use (gravel/asphalt) shoes for the Ridley came in yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Ditto. I want these for my CX this winter too! ;)
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    edited August 2016
    Got myself a new stem-mounted out-in-front Garmin mount.

Here are a couple of views from above and side, with my little Edge 20 in place:
    ucpbr3vq8g54.jpgswfjc541p9zu.jpg

Here's one from the front, showing the mount onto the stem bolts and the elevation of the mount above the bars:
    vewwsp38rsh8.jpg

Initial impressions:
    - Very solid - metal not plastic and very resistant to vertical bending.
    - Light-weight
    - Rather longer than I had expected - about 4"-5" extension beyond the bars including the spacers
    - Slots in the base will allow it to fit stems bolts with a variety of widths between the bolts, and will also allow it to be fitted off-centre, should you want to do so.
    - On fitting it, I though it looked ridiculous - too high, too flat - didn't think the Garmin would be at the right angle (ie would need to be tipped back towards me, rather than flat).

In use:
    - Despite reservations, it's fantastic! It positions the head unit perfectly - it's quite a weird feeling, as when you focus on the display, the lit unit seems to float in mid-air, with the dark support bars receding into the background, almost like having a heads-up display.
    - Huge improvement on having the unit mounted onto the stem. Being a MAMIL of a certain age, I wear varifocals or contact lenses, and having the unit on the stem I had to bow my head to see the display and it took a fraction of a second to focus and then the same again when I looked up - I've had a couple of near-misses where a car in front of me has braked while I've checked the Garmin. Now, the display fits into the bottom of my field of view - I can glance down with eye movement alone and read it clearly while still having the road ahead in my peripheral vision.
    - Compared to the normal Garmin in-front mount, it doesn't use up any bar space - as you can see from the pics, I have 2 lights mounted on the bars, and other than moving them outward slightly to stop them fouling the support arms while removing them, it doesn't obstruct.
    - It's rock-solid, with no vibration of the display at all, even going through the normal commuting pot holes

In short - really, really pleased with this. And it's dirt cheap as well, at only £13.46, still available from Ebay here for anyone who fancies one.

Minus points:
    - I'm not 100% convinced over the spacers - they seem robust enough but are pretty lightweight metal - it remains to be seen whether they're going to be up to the job of keeping the bar tightly gripped
    - The rock-solid quality is potentially a bit of a problem if you end up following a trajectory over the handlebars - on the one hand, the rapid involuntary forward dismount is itself a large problem, but the way the mount stands up above the bars does make me a little wary about impacting that in the event of a shunt.

• TheBigYin
    I think it'd be the spacers that'd worry me, to be honest - any problems are compromising the integrity of the handlebar clamping.

One thing that crossed my mind when I looked at the pictures - that the assembly could possibly have been intended to attach to the lower pair of clamp bolts rather than the upper - thus lowering the head-unit to something more on a level with the handlebars rather than being raised up above them.

• 35dollars
    edited August 2016
    You could well be right about the mounting point - never occurred to me when I was fitting it, but as you say, that would drop the position pretty much inline with the bars, and would also stop it fouling any light-mounts that were next to it on the bars

In theory, it should be possible to mount the unit directly to the stem without the spacers, using the original stem-bolts, but one would have to cut or otherwise force the spacers off the bolts that come with the unit, as by default they are captive on the bolts.

OTOH, dropping the level of the display down to bar height might lose that heads-up display feeling. I'll have an experiment with both positions and see which works best. And have another look at those spacers to see how solid they actually are
  • cloggsy71
    Our new Bedale Cycling Club kit:

cnu7r428cvdl.jpeg
    j9uhacf4ejid.jpeg

What do you think?
  • TheBigYin
    are those "scotchbright" reflective panels on the sides of the back pockets - the bits that are "flashing" like crazy ?? If so, they are surprisingly effective.

Nice sponsorship deal with Black Sheep Brewery as well...
  • cloggsy71
    We've got free passes for the brewery tour too. That'll be our end of season bash ;)
  • 35dollars
    I think it'd be the spacers that'd worry me, to be honest - any problems are compromising the integrity of the handlebar clamping.

One thing that crossed my mind when I looked at the pictures - that the assembly could possibly have been intended to attach to the lower pair of clamp bolts rather than the upper - thus lowering the head-unit to something more on a level with the handlebars rather than being raised up above them.

I've now moved the unit onto the bottom set of bolts, and it does indeed look more sensible, and pretty much aligned with the bars. I'm also rather less concerned now about being separated from my "gentleman's area" in the event of going over the bars.

I've had a better look at the spacers and while they are fairly light, they're also a bit more robust than I originally thought - they appear to be fairly strong metal tubes with a wall thickness of 2-3mm. They're not actually captive, as they can be unscrewed from the bolts and could be replaced by something more substantial (or a bit shorter) if one were of a mind to do so - but they can't be dispensed with entirely because the shape of the base of the unit will not fit snugly against the stem bracket.

I'll see how it compares in use tomorrow
  • 35dollars
    edited August 2016
    In use, it's fine - maybe not quite as good eye alignment as previously, and not quite the same impression of floating in mid-air, but I'm very happy with it, and would have been highly delighted with this if I hadn't seen the other configuration first. It's certainly miles better than having the unit on the stem or the bars.
  • ntnunk
    The new Edge 820 just arrived...
    e1m9f99m2cki.jpg
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    New steed. 2017 Trek Remedy 8.

dqbnhbhljst5.jpeg
  • Sarah_Cycles
    Sarah_Cycles Posts: 25 Member
    when someone gets a new bike I always want to share this picture https://onsizzle.com/i/*kitten*-facebook-sexy-bmx-150089
  • TheBigYin
    not ENTIRELY bike-schwagggg, but it has a bike-related use - I decided to upgrade from my Garmin Vivosmart tracker band to something with a little more ooomph...

Garmin Vivoactive HR (on recommendation of @Jakess1971) - first impressions are pretty favourable - works well at tracking walks (including a GPS track, and hr details to get a sensible-ish calories figure), or just steps pottering around the house and flights of stairs climbed... It'll also pair with the ANT+ sensors on my bike, so will serve as a "backup recorder" of bigger rides in case I do something dumb when I stop the 520.

Biggest worry was that it was going to be a massive chunk of plastic on the wrist, which would be a PITA as a "everyday wear" watch - which, if you're going to use a movement tracker, that's pretty much what you need to do, but its not that bad... ok, it's no IWC or Omega Seamaster, but it's not completely hideous...

29147876951_fab32bd191_o.jpg#garminvivoactivehr by The Big Yin, on Flickr
  • TheBigYin
    new rear light is the absolute nuts...

28659662754_b75d57aa4f_o.jpgThis rear light is the absolute bollocks... by The Big Yin, on Flickr
  • ntnunk
    A new seat for the CX bike just came in. For whatever reason, I just wasn't getting along with the Aliante VSX anymore so I picked up a Antares VS.
    kkn8c51a5j4r.jpg

Got it mounted up already. Can't wait to try it out.
    i6h8xi1pa8bv.jpg
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Latest for me was a Topeak stem mounted waterproof case for my phone. I used it with Cyclestreets for route finding on my ride this morning and it works well however the main limitation is that with Cyclestreets and the GPS active the phone battery only lasts about 2.5 hours. I suspect I'm going to bit the bullet and invest in a Garmin 820 to replace the ancient Forerunner 305 I currently use for data recording my rides.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    1mhq19fw1ngz.jpg

I won this lovely, HUGE bell today at Tour de Fat Denver. Love it. I only sacrificed my dignity (in a flamingo costume on a fat bike) to obtain it.