God Damn America

Options

Replies

• alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You twist your logic any more and you risk spraining a frontal lobe. I say this because I care.

lol funny yet useless. Care to elaborate?
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    Options
    Your data is not a true reflection of the United States' standing in the world because the countries you are comparing to the US are not equals in population, wealth, proximity to poor countries or governing structure.
    These figures are adjusted by population.

So yes, they do count.

This is also data obtained by the CIA fact0book, an American institution.
    The Gini rating does show wide income distributions, however, income in the US seems more imbalanced due to the enormous weatlh being generated by capitalism. If you look at the average Median Income per country you would see the US is only 2nd to Luxemburg.
    .... so you are saying you don't have high income inequality because the people at the top earn so much?...

You are aware that's what income inequality is - again the fact that American earns allot is MEANINGLESS - Norway has an equal income per capita but has much lower income inequality.

Secondly - Yes the US has a higher crime rate than Georgia but again you fail to mention the US is ranked 34th among 59 countries on this list. The highest country having 86 murders/100k. Comparably speaking, the US is at 4.8 murders/100k. You are not putting the numbers in their proper context.
    It's terrible for a first world country, all you are effectivly saying is "Americas murder rate isn't' that bad compared to Somalia" - but it is compared to any other modern western democracy.
    As far as ranking worst in preventable diseases, part of the criteria used to determine this were Heart disease, Strokes, Cancer, and diabetes. The majority of these disease begin with lifestyle and in the majority of these cases the only true "preventative measure" to be taken are lifestyle changes. It is no secret Americans live a life of excesses and many ultimately pay for it with their health. This again is not a true measure of the American Health System because you could never truly compare the typical lifestyle and eating habits of an American to a French, Japanese, or Australian; all 3 of which topped the rankings.
    This data isn't just based on obesity, it includes common health problems which result in deaths - you are the only developed nation in the world which let's poor people die of preventable illness if they don't have money.

For a so called Christian nation, you couldn't be more un-Christian.
    With respect to incarceration. The United states has a very complex and thorough(at times to a fault) legal system. The US put 43 people to death in 2011. Iran put 360(on the record) to death in 2011 and they are 1/4 the size of the US by population. You also failed to mention what percent of those incarcerated in the US are illegal immigrants. As is quite known, we have a border control issue that is sure to be responsible for part of the incarcerations.
    Again, saying you are better than Iran isn't exactly a claim for superiority - for a first world western developed nation you need to compare against Japan, France, England, Germany, Canada - all of which have lower crime, lower murder rates, lower prison populations & lower re-offender rates.

The OP is 100% correct, I'm not bashing his country - agreeing with his evaluation.

I'm just hoping the rational & intelligent people of the USA are able to enact social change for the betterment of the majority of the population - sadly I doubt it.

But hey, if you want to live the American dream - go live in Norway.

Note - Just to make a point, my country - England is much worse than Japan, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland & France for most of the same things as the USA is (but not quite to the same level) - but I'm willing to admit that my country needs to change.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    We have the capacity for greatness, as a whole. But we're being absorbed into mediocrity (at best) by the very folks put into place to lead. Corporations as people, religion rather than reason as a governing tool, precipitous levels of ignorance, precipitous levels of apathy, precipitous levels of selfishness, and it's a perfect storm for the country to disintegrate.

I love this country. But I'd sure love to take it back from the Guns'n'God Good 'Ol Boys hellbent on pushing us into a patriarchal caste society.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    AGREE!! I planned to retire outside the us. Now, I'm planning on leaving within the next 10 years and renounce my citizenship. This country means nothing to me.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    And yes, screw the us.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    :smile: BUMP
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Don't let the door hit ya.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    I don't plan to..you can rot in this s-hole country :-)
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    bump
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Where are you planning to move Wicked?
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Costa Rica
  • Bahet
    Options
    Why Costa Rica? How is it better there than anywhere in the states?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    AGREE!! I planned to retire outside the us. Now, I'm planning on leaving within the next 10 years and renounce my citizenship. This country means nothing to me.

I hate America mostly because of the hypocrisy of a war on terror by the biggest exporter of terrorism in the world. The fact that we are also by far not the best country to live in even though we have the fourth most productive workforce in the world (according to Wiki and yes I'm too lazy to trace back the source) is just to be expected in a country where private money decides public elections.

I was going to renounce my citizenship, but screw that, at 65 I'll take whatever social security is left, thank you very much. Countries like Chile will grant residency right now to an American on a proven fixed income of even a small amount. Although I certainly don't plan to continue living in the US until I'm that old and I certainly will renounce my citizenship if America attacks whatever country I choose to live in.

Personally I wouldn't go near Costa Rica, though. Too darn hot.

PS: If I believed in a God that went around damning countries (or any God at all for that matter), I'd rest assured that America would be well and truly damned.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options

I hate America mostly because of the hypocrisy of a war on terror by the biggest exporter of terrorism in the world. The fact that we are also by far not the best country to live in even though we have the fourth most productive workforce in the world (according to Wiki and yes I'm too lazy to trace back the source) is just to be expected in a country where private money decides public elections.

I was going to renounce my citizenship, but screw that, at 65 I'll take whatever social security is left, thank you very much. Countries like Chile will grant residency right now to an American on a proven fixed income of even a small amount. Although I certainly don't plan to continue living in the US until I'm that old and I certainly will renounce my citizenship if America attacks whatever country I choose to live in.

PS: If I believed in a God that went around damning countries (or any God at all for that matter), I'd rest assured that America would be well and truly damned.

MMMM. Hot! Love hot weather! Plus I"ll be in Monte Verde, it's a tish bit cooler in the mountains.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options

People give a d***
    Healthcare - very good
    Food
    Friends are there
    Cheaper to live
    Can get a job teaching english
    I love Costa Rica!!
  • Bahet
    Options

People give a d***
    Healthcare - very good
    Food
    Friends are there
    Cheaper to live
    I love Costa Rica!!
    I thought you hated socialized health care? Or is that only when it benefits someone else?
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

People give a d***
    Healthcare - very good
    Food
    Friends are there
    Cheaper to live
    I love Costa Rica!!
    I thought you hated socialized health care? Or is that only when it benefits someone else?

I'm confused about this too, due to a thread in the fun and games forum complaining about Obamacare. On the other hand, I complain about Obamacare too, because even before Congress gutted it, it didn't go far enough and shifted the burden from employers to taxpayers in a big way.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

MMMM. Hot! Love hot weather! Plus I"ll be in Monte Verde, it's a tish bit cooler in the mountains.

I hate hot weather. I'll wave to you from down in Patagonia, where I'll probably be teaching English or translating for clueless tourists, too. I need to get working on my spanish again, though. I'm rusty!
  • Bahet
    Options

People give a d***
    Healthcare - very good
    Food
    Friends are there
    Cheaper to live
    I love Costa Rica!!

I'm confused about this too, due to a thread in the fun and games forum complaining about Obamacare. On the other hand, I complain about Obamacare too, because even before Congress gutted it, it didn't go far enough and shifted the burden from employers to taxpayers in a big way.
    Criticizing Obamacare because it doesn't do enough then wanting to move to a country with completely socialized healthcare and saying they have great health care makes sense. Criticizing Obamacare because it exists at all and hating that it uses tax money to help people who have no health care then wanting to move to a country with completely socialized healthcare and saying they have great healthcare makes you either an idiot or a hypocrite.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Or both!