May/June BED Conversation Thread

Options

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    In America, celebrations are always accompanied by food, aren't they? Culturally, this is just the way we are and what we have grown up with and learned how to be all these years. It is a very difficult behavior to change, especially with external factors inhibiting our efforts. In other countries, celebrations are not centered around food. I wonder what that would be like.

So, it's pretty hard to just take away the celebratory food, especially if there isn't anything to take its place. If you don't have money for personal gifts or pampering, this can be exceptionally tough.

I will treat myself with treat food sometimes still, but regret it if it leads to a binge. So, instead of treat food as I'm used to, I will go to the grocery store and treat myself to healthy food. Maybe it is something I've been wanting to try but it is kinda expensive or I'm not sure if I will like it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I will treat myself with treat food sometimes still, but regret it if it leads to a binge. So, instead of treat food as I'm used to, I will go to the grocery store and treat myself to healthy food. Maybe it is something I've been wanting to try but it is kinda expensive or I'm not sure if I will like it.

I do this also Diane. Today for instance I have been getting bad strawberries and I know the organic ones is always wonderful, so today I brought me 2 pounds of GOOD strawberries that I will eat and I love them. They are going to be my go to food this weekend.

My sister always remind me when I don't want to pay for healthier choices that I like that look at the money you used to spend on junk food so why can't you do it for food that is good for you. So I have been spending a little more on foods that are good for me, especially the ones I like.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    It was a rough weekend. Very stressful. Very emotional. I did my best to allow myself to feel those emotions.

Ready for a new week! :smile:

How about y'all?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    good job on letting yourself feel the feelings.

Same here Diane. I am ready to jump start myself today. Binged bad last night. On a good note it was raining and I could not go to get fast food so I had to binge on healthier options. Believe me at midnight I was having bad urges to get in my car and go to all night fast food joint. :grumble:

Saturday it was not raining and I fought the urge to order food in. As the evening went on I drunk water and ate strawberries.

Today I am feeling better and putting the weekend behind me.:flowerforyou:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    I really hate the question, "How was your weekend?"

How come the first thing I think of when I am asked how was your weekend is how lousy I did w/ my ED behavior? My weekend had more going on than just bad food decisions. My weekend was bad because I binged? "Normal" people don't associate food behavior w/ overall weekend contentness, right? Normal people don't say "Oh my weekend sucked cuz I ate too much candy." I'm just hating how my world and thought processes revolve around food behavior. Ok, vent over. Thanks for listening.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've not been doing well... consistently 100's of cals over my daily goal, even after I tweaked it and moved my daily goal up....plus, had a rough couple days this week and went crazy with snacking...my main focus has been "not quitting," and I haven't, which is good, but at some point I need to suck it up and actually make some progress.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Uggggg I just ate way too much and it was all unhealthy. Been doing so good for almost a week now.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has a triger like this. Everytime I step on the scale after a week or so of I will use the word "Dieting" and the scale shows a few pound lose. My brain seems to think it is ok to binge that night!!! It seems like I do this everytime I lose a few pounds. Am I alone? Or does this trigger some of you also?

I need to figure out how NOT to do this anymore. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mama, the scale triggers me too. Low self esteem not really sure why I deserve to be healthy. I am also triggered by work stress, practically anything........ I did well until I got home sunday and then sat in the chair and trolled around the kitchen.......very bad. But I also on the flip side worked in the garden for hours. rode a bike .... camped under the big moon. So every waking moment wasn't consumed by my problem. I need to make up my meals tonight so I have more control and no excuse to troll. Thanks for this thread. Will get the frozen food items out now so I can make my meals when I get home from work. Love ya
    Richie
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I really hate the question, "How was your weekend?"

How come the first thing I think of when I am asked how was your weekend is how lousy I did w/ my ED behavior? My weekend had more going on than just bad food decisions. My weekend was bad because I binged? "Normal" people don't associate food behavior w/ overall weekend contentness, right? Normal people don't say "Oh my weekend sucked cuz I ate too much candy." I'm just hating how my world and thought processes revolve around food behavior. Ok, vent over. Thanks for listening.

that is what we are here for Diane. Vent away. That is a new spin though and I guess I never thought of it as this. I like being busy on weekends so BED is not an issue.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Uggggg I just ate way too much and it was all unhealthy. Been doing so good for almost a week now.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has a triger like this. Everytime I step on the scale after a week or so of I will use the word "Dieting" and the scale shows a few pound lose. My brain seems to think it is ok to binge that night!!! It seems like I do this everytime I lose a few pounds. Am I alone? Or does this trigger some of you also?

I need to figure out how NOT to do this anymore. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Linda this is a huge problem for me too. I reward scale victories with food and I have to find a way to stop it. i have done it in the past and will do it again. One thing I do is splurge on one meal after my weigh in vs a whole day or binge. It is very hard to break this habit but we can do it. Because what I have learned is the day binge turns into 2 days, 3 days and then that leads to gaining all the weight back that you had initially lost. So there goes the YO YO again.

You are not alone on this issue. Have a plan for after the weight loss of not binging or replace eating reward all together. Hang in there!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    The scale is not my friend either. We don't have a good relationship. Regardless of the number, the experience is emotional. And for me, negative emotions as well as positive ones can send me spiraling downward. When the scale tells me something I want to hear, I get excited/proud/happy/encouraged, and my brain doesn't want to allow me to feel those emotions, so I eat. When the scale tells me something I don't like, I get upset/angry/hopeless/annoyed/frustrated, and my brain doesn't want to have to bear those emotions, so I eat.

So if I developed an ED as a defense mechanism against feeling negative emotions, why is it that I also experience the behavior when I have positive emotions? I have my theories but I'd love to hear what you think. I know I'm not alone with this.
  • rabetts
    rabetts Posts: 31
    Options
    Why can't I just be normal? Why can't I eat just one cookie? Why in the world do I think I need to eat all of them? I'm far from starving... I get so tired of battling this.
  • richardsrm
    Options
    good question, why..............wish I knew. I have heard that it is a spot in the brain that has a malfunctioning turn off switch......I just have to find a way around it or trick it somehow
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Why can't I just be normal? Why can't I eat just one cookie? Why in the world do I think I need to eat all of them? I'm far from starving... I get so tired of battling this.

We all feel this way at times. Once you accept that this is something you will always have to be mindful of you will not feel this way, hopefully anyways.
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    Hopped on a scale today. Not the one I usually weigh on, but it would seem I've gained 15 lbs - which would put me within 5lbs of my starting weight a year and a half ago. Why this surprises me, I'm not sure. It depresses me, makes me feel like giving up and just eating what I want anyway, since I feel happier that way. I will admit that the happiness is only temporary. But I need to get out of this rut, it's not a healthy place to be. But hey, at least my boobs are back - lost a bunch of weight from them last time.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Exactly this! It absoutly baffles me how people can have only one cookie, or only one donut and be satisfied because I have *never* felt that - to me, having just one seems so abnormal! It is a true struggle! It is a feeling I want to understand but I doubt I ever will.

I had been doing good for the last couple of weeks. Overeating, yes, but not true binging. I had been craving my usual things but I refused to buy them because I knew that there is never "just one." Finally I caved in yesterday and bought the ingredients to make cookies. I never make cookies, just the dough. Ate it all in about an hour.

I find the next few days always to be the hardest. I see that I failed then have the overwhelming "why even try, I'll never succeed" feeling and spend the next couple days on a binge streak... anybody else feel that way too?
  • rabetts
    rabetts Posts: 31
    Options
    Right! Binges always seem to show up and hang out for more than one day. It's so hard to get back on track after something like that.
  • kailauli
    kailauli Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi guys, my name is Kaila and I just joined the group. I'm excited to find a "live" group of people to share this with. I've been living with this since high school, but I can actually trace my first real big binge to a few months after my husband died. I was miserable and went to Walmart for 2 boxes of cookies. I mindlessly stuffed them into my mouth. As many as could fit. It's been about 2 years of severe binging. I just checked my calorie stats for the past 90 days and it seems I have binge about 1-2 times a week. I'm sitting here, thirsty, but too full to drink anything. Wondering how this started, and how to fix it.
  • kailauli
    kailauli Posts: 19
    Options
    Oh my goodness.... I never thought I would find another person who felt this way. It's like my brain doesn't know how to handle emotions of any sort. When I get good news, or feel great, I eat. When I feel bad or lonely, I EAT!!!
  • richardsrm
    Options
    Kalla , Welcome. We are here, many of us have been fighting this "thing" for years. For me it is like any other addiction I have to get myself away from the cookie isle. One store that I often stop at when I am dog tired from a stressful day is Walgrens. It is sick I know I can't control myself if I buy the cookies but I say 'screw it " and get them. This doesn't happen so much anymore. I really try hard to keep in mind my goal and acknowledge that one binge does make a difference. I wish you success in this voyage and hope you will come to this thread when in need of BED conversation. Richie
This discussion has been closed.