My Dating Tips!

Options

Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Hey! Nah jeans aren't a fail! I just like dresses so I said that :tongue:

I don't really think the 70/30 was me but I guess I'm just tying to get the point across that you shouldn't just blurt out your life story and talk about yourself, of course answer anything the other person asks but I always try and make it back to being about her and making her feel as if I'm really interested. Hasn't failed me yet..... Though I'm still single.. Go figure :laugh:

Good point about first impressions too, nothing wrong with being a gentlemen. Most men would buy the first drink I think. If a guy had just paid for dinner first though, I think it's a really nice for the lady to offer to buy the guy a drink :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

Good point about first impressions too, nothing wrong with being a gentlemen. Most men would buy the first drink I think. If a guy had just paid for dinner first though, I think it's a really nice for the lady to offer to buy the guy a drink :)

OMG I seriously only meant buy the first drink!! I would buy the second, and so on. I know some women like the guy to pay for the whole date, but I wouldnt even expect dinner to be paid for. I would offter to pay my way, always! Its just something about that first drink that gives me a sense of pride/reassurance/hope in the guy..........makes a big difference to me anyhow :flowerforyou:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm since Ive never actually been on a date I'll have to take these things in mind lol
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Ugh .. if I have to talk 70% of the time I wouldn't be very happy.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Yeah thats fair enough. But a girl, who wouldnt at get dressed up sometimes and wear something really nice occasionally wouldnt be for me either.

wearing something nice =/= wearing a dress. You can look nice without wearing a dress or some skimpy clubbing crap. I will suffer and wear dressy shoes when necessary (and when I say suffer, I'm talking this usually results in severe leg cramps at night, so it is a true selfless act from me). I'm just more comfortable and more myself wearing jeans and t-shirts. That's all I'm saying! You guys were making it sound as if each and every date requires hours of hair, makeup and prom dresses...

Why are you saying a dress or skimpy clubbing crap. Where I live it is already in the 90s. A dress is a nice casual cool thing to wear. Mine are usually lose but not baggy and come just above the knee and I will wear nice ballet flats or sandals with them. A dress takes a lot less effort on my part as it is one piece and looks put together with one pair of earings or necklace and decent pair of shoes (shoes do not have to be heals).

I think you should dress for the occasion though. The only dates I have been on recently have been to sporting events so usually I am in jeans/shorts (but not jorts), a nice cotton top, and sandals while my date has been in jeans and a decent shirt(usually not a t-shirt but not a button up either) and trainers. I don't expect a guy to wear nice leather shoes to a ball game.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have a thing for dresses too, if a girl shows up to a first date wearing a dress she has already scored serious points. Sorry ladies, there's nothing sexy about jeans, sneakers, and loose fitting tops.

Being on time is huge for me. If you show up 10-15 minutes late without so much as a text, I will either not be there or I will already be slightly annoyed with you.

If you go out for dinner, the guy should pay. This is assuming the guy asked the girl out and chose the place. Girls, at least offer to pay for something, but let the guy pay if he insists, don't make a big deal out of it. Girls, if you choose the place and it's a really nice place you should probably try to pick up part of the bill. Also, if you're not planning on seeing the guy again don't let him pay for the entire bill, that's just rude.

If you are picking someone up in your car, clean out the trash. It doesn't have to be spotless, but when you have trash everywhere is shows you're not putting in much of an effort.

As far as conversation goes, keep it light and flirtatious. Don't talk about ex's, death, money, or sex (usually).

Smile

Laugh at each other's jokes even if they're not that funny, it will help ease some tension.

I usually greet my date with a hug, I just let them know I'm a hugger and they don't have a choice. If it's a blind date, maybe a handshake is fine, but if you're met them before or have been emailing for a while I feel like I know them well enough for a hug. Just don't linger or be creepy about it.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

I usually greet my date with a hug, I just let them know I'm a hugger and they don't have a choice. If it's a blind date, maybe a handshake is fine, but if you're met them before or have been emailing for a while I feel like I know them well enough for a hug. Just don't linger or be creepy about it.

Thats a really good point Roadie: THE GREETING! I always greet my dates with a kiss on the cheek. I do love hugging, but I dont expect a lot of guys would feel comfortable doing that so dont really go in for a hug. But yeah, bonus point if he does, cos I'm a bit of a huggy bear too :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    I have a thing for dresses too, if a girl shows up to a first date wearing a dress she has already scored serious points. Sorry ladies, there's nothing sexy about jeans, sneakers, and loose fitting tops.

The dress is an interesting point. I didnt realise so many men would take notice of that! Why specifically a dress?? And why not a skirt and top? Is it a legs thing?

And why dont you find jeans sexy?? Jeans can make a woman's *kitten* look really sexy!! Or have I got that wrong?? lol
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Why are you saying a dress or skimpy clubbing crap. Where I live it is already in the 90s. A dress is a nice casual cool thing to wear. Mine are usually lose but not baggy and come just above the knee and I will wear nice ballet flats or sandals with them. A dress takes a lot less effort on my part as it is one piece and looks put together with one pair of earings or necklace and decent pair of shoes (shoes do not have to be heals).

I think you should dress for the occasion though. The only dates I have been on recently have been to sporting events so usually I am in jeans/shorts (but not jorts), a nice cotton top, and sandals while my date has been in jeans and a decent shirt(usually not a t-shirt but not a button up either) and trainers. I don't expect a guy to wear nice leather shoes to a ball game.

Agreed!! A dress is no big deal in this era. I think I spent 10 years just wearing trousers, but now the dress/skirt is back in fashion on a casual level, as well as a glam one. :bigsmile:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

Agreed!! A dress is no big deal in this era. I think I spent 10 years just wearing trousers, but now the dress/skirt is back in fashion on a casual level, as well as a glam one. :bigsmile:

Definitely same here. Now that summer is coming, it's so easy to throw on a fun sundress! If you don't like your arms, you can wear them with a cardigan, or find dresses with sleeves. I have to agree that they're easier than picking a shirt and jeans. The dress is ready to go!
  • Natx83
    Options

The dress is an interesting point. I didnt realise so many men would take notice of that! Why specifically a dress?? And why not a skirt and top? Is it a legs thing?

And why dont you find jeans sexy?? Jeans can make a woman's *kitten* look really sexy!! Or have I got that wrong?? lol

I love dresses on girls, I think it's just cause its really feminine I guess. Sun dresses are awesome too, I love summer for that exact reason haha. Dresses can be fun, sexy, casual. I don't mind a nice pair of legs but that's not the reason, I'm more of a *kitten* and nice hair guy. Lol. Yeah. Hair. I said it.

I greet most of girl friends with a kiss on the cheek, meeting a date would be no different I guess. Good chance for her to smell the epic after shave I have on lol.

Now there's another tip! Don't use old spice or your favourite rexona dudes! Put on something awesome. I'm sure any girl you know will be able to tell you her favourite cologne on a guy.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Overdressing can be just as bad as underdrerssing depending on the plans.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

This is exactly why you will never find me complaining about jeans.

... unless of course we are going to a place that I had to donate a kidney to be able to afford.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Skirts are just as sexy as dresses, either way is fine. I just like the femininity of them. It's hot when a woman dresses like a woman, not in jeans and a t-shirt like a man.

I assume it's pretty much the same reason you don't want a guy to show up wearing a dress, even if he has great legs.
  • Natx83
    Options

Skirts are just as sexy as dresses, either way is fine. I just like the femininity of them. It's hot when a woman dresses like a woman, not in jeans and a t-shirt like a man.

I assume it's pretty much the same reason you don't want a guy to show up wearing a dress, even if he has great legs.

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah nice set of pins there bro, would look good in a slinky little black dress I saw at a department store the other day.

Yeah. Nah
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah nice set of pins there bro, would look good in a slinky little black dress I saw at a department store the other day.

Yeah. Nah

Well a nice kilt can be sexy on a guy too but I would probably laugh if a first date showed up in one.
  • Natx83
    Options

Yeah. Nah

Well a nice kilt can be sexy on a guy too but I would probably laugh if a first date showed up in one.

Especially if going commando :noway: Hahaha
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Yeah. Nah

Especially if going commando :noway: Hahaha

Commando is the ONLY way a kilt is supposed to be worn by a man :)
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Ya I don't wanna spend the whole time talking about me.. I am attracted to a guy who can hold a conversation (which by definition is a two way street).

You missed the point, Im not talking about only "talking about her" but more so "making it about her". Theres a difference.

No I didn't miss the point hun. Just believe this is one of the major faux pas of the male gender,
  • Natx83
    Options
    Ya I don't wanna spend the whole time talking about me.. I am attracted to a guy who can hold a conversation (which by definition is a two way street).

You missed the point, Im not talking about only "talking about her" but more so "making it about her". Theres a difference.

No I didn't miss the point hun. Just believe this is one of the major faux pas of the male gender,

Which part is the faux pas?