DIABLO 3!!!

Options

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they are, but is anyone having issues with the server kicking you randomly back to the character screen? Then you have to return to game and nothing has been saved (progress wise) except the vials you've used and gold you've spent.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Anyone around 48-50 that wants to play tomorrow night around 1030est send me a message. Myself and a Friend are going to start Act 4 and try to start in Hell difficultly.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Here's hoping the server is up when I get off work... I'd love to just come home and relax with Diablo 3 for an hour or two before bed.... that's always my plan and it never happens.....
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Me and the wife have been playing 3-4 hours per day here... hardest part is prying us away from it!

Level 28 Monk currently :) Just about to fight Azmodan I think..
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Just got the game last night, but I am not a fan of the fact I need a constant internet connection to play a single player game.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My biggest complaint so far is I wish I could move my character around with the keyboard instead of the mouse.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    My biggest complaint so far is I wish I could move my character around with the keyboard instead of the mouse.

I'm guessing you did not play the first 2
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Things I've learned so far about the game:

If you bring habits you PROBABLY learned in other RPGs (exploring all of the optional areas and doing all of the little side quests) you will end up outleveling the zone you're in very quickly and making the game boring, at least until you hit Inferno difficulty level which is for max level players only.

A lot of the boss fights are retardedly easy for ranged classes who can kite.

Crafting your own gear can be more expensive than just buying stuff on AH if you're not lucky with stat generation.

Whiners on the forums about class balance and inferno being too hard are lulz. Inferno was not designed with solo play in mind. It was designed for group play. There's a reason that the only two classes who could effectively solo Inferno mode just got hit with the nerf bat hard, and that the only way they could do so was by exploiting ability combinations that weren't intended which made them totally unkillable.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

If you bring habits you PROBABLY learned in other RPGs (exploring all of the optional areas and doing all of the little side quests) you will end up outleveling the zone you're in very quickly and making the game boring, at least until you hit Inferno difficulty level which is for max level players only.

Crafting your own gear can be more expensive than just buying stuff on AH if you're not lucky with stat generation.

Whiners on the forums about class balance and inferno being too hard are lulz. Inferno was not designed with solo play in mind. It was designed for group play. There's a reason that the only two classes who could effectively solo Inferno mode just got hit with the nerf bat hard, and that the only way they could do so was by exploiting ability combinations that weren't intended which made them totally unkillable.
    I actually understood some of that.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I actually understood some of that.

Which part was difficult to understand?
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I only started playing a MMO a month ago, so until recently I had no idea what kiting was, or what nerf meant.

When I play RPG's, there are no misty parts on the map.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    I only started playing a MMO a month ago, so until recently I had no idea what kiting was, or what nerf meant.

Well as you probably know traditional old school RPGs are littered with optional side quests and areas you CAN explore but don't HAVE to if you don't want to. By old school I mean Playstation-era and back. In Diablo 3 choosing to go out of your way to do the "extras" will cause you to quickly level at a rate that puts you significantly higher than where you're supposed to be for the zone you're in, making what are supposed to be challenging fights go too easily. So you have a choice while leveling: Do the optional content (such as dungeons that are just *there* and you don't have any objective in) OR enjoy challenging combat experiences in the game. Can't have it both ways, at least not until you reach the highest difficulty level (Inferno).

Kiting is something people who played MMOs are familiar with. Basically it means dragging enemy NPCs around the map staying out of range of their attacks while pelting them with ranged attacks.

Crafting your own gear using professions/trade skills traditionally in MMORPGs has always been more affordable than buying it from the auction house. But in Diablo 3, because the likelihood of ending up with a piece of crafted gear whose stats actually benefit YOU are so low, it's often cheaper to just buy things on the auction house, which is backwards from the way MMO games have traditionally been.

Finally, to further explain the last part:

The highest difficulty level of the game, Inferno mode, was intended to be for group play only. However, the Demon Hunter and Wizard had abilities that allow them to effectively solo it because not enough thought was put into how the effects of these abilities stacked with the effects of other abilities. The end result was that people who played these two classes had moves that, when stacked together, made them completely and totally unkillable. It allowed them to progress through Inferno mode without even so much as taking any damage. Yesterday, a hotfix/patch was implemented into the game that made it impossible to stack these abilities anymore. The people who play them are now complaining that they are no longer able to solo their way through inferno mode. The reason it's funny to hear them whine is because what they fail to understand, and what the people who play every other class DO understand, is that it was not meant to be solo capable. It's basically the Diablo equivalent to endgame raid content. The only way to progress through it is to put a team together of competent, well-geared players who actively communicate and coordinate their efforts. This concept is something MMO players are familiar with and used to, but is new to games like Diablo which have never traditionally been so difficult as to FORCE you to group to progress through content. Therefore the people who are longtime Diablo players but have little to no MMO exposure aren't liking it.

Better? =)
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've been playing Diablo 3 for a little over a week (Currently lvl 36 demon hunter, almost at the end of Act I in Nightmare mode) and it has been seriously hurting my will to work out!! Going to the gym would cut into at LEAST an hour of play time...nooo! Any suggestions on balancing this? Maybe fifteen minutes of jumping jacks every time I level or something? hahaha
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Okay, I've been playing Diablo 3 for a little over a week (Currently lvl 36 demon hunter, almost at the end of Act I in Nightmare mode) and it has been seriously hurting my will to work out!! Going to the gym would cut into at LEAST an hour of play time...nooo! Any suggestions on balancing this? Maybe fifteen minutes of jumping jacks every time I level or something? hahaha

Do your workouts BEFORE you log on for the day. Maknig logging on your reward for completing a workout.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I'm guessing you did not play the first 2
    I did not...I strictly played console games until wow which is the only game I've played in a while
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

Well as you probably know traditional old school RPGs are littered with optional side quests and areas you CAN explore but don't HAVE to if you don't want to. By old school I mean Playstation-era and back. In Diablo 3 choosing to go out of your way to do the "extras" will cause you to quickly level at a rate that puts you significantly higher than where you're supposed to be for the zone you're in, making what are supposed to be challenging fights go too easily. So you have a choice while leveling: Do the optional content (such as dungeons that are just *there* and you don't have any objective in) OR enjoy challenging combat experiences in the game. Can't have it both ways, at least not until you reach the highest difficulty level (Inferno).

Kiting is something people who played MMOs are familiar with. Basically it means dragging enemy NPCs around the map staying out of range of their attacks while pelting them with ranged attacks.

Crafting your own gear using professions/trade skills traditionally in MMORPGs has always been more affordable than buying it from the auction house. But in Diablo 3, because the likelihood of ending up with a piece of crafted gear whose stats actually benefit YOU are so low, it's often cheaper to just buy things on the auction house, which is backwards from the way MMO games have traditionally been.

Finally, to further explain the last part:

The highest difficulty level of the game, Inferno mode, was intended to be for group play only. However, the Demon Hunter and Wizard had abilities that allow them to effectively solo it because not enough thought was put into how the effects of these abilities stacked with the effects of other abilities. The end result was that people who played these two classes had moves that, when stacked together, made them completely and totally unkillable. It allowed them to progress through Inferno mode without even so much as taking any damage. Yesterday, a hotfix/patch was implemented into the game that made it impossible to stack these abilities anymore. The people who play them are now complaining that they are no longer able to solo their way through inferno mode. The reason it's funny to hear them whine is because what they fail to understand, and what the people who play every other class DO understand, is that it was not meant to be solo capable. It's basically the Diablo equivalent to endgame raid content. The only way to progress through it is to put a team together of competent, well-geared players who actively communicate and coordinate their efforts. This concept is something MMO players are familiar with and used to, but is new to games like Diablo which have never traditionally been so difficult as to FORCE you to group to progress through content. Therefore the people who are longtime Diablo players but have little to no MMO exposure aren't liking it.

Better? =)
    I wish I could +1 this
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Picked D3(though I can't stop referring to it as D2 in conversations) up last weekend. Have played a few hours on my barbarian and am now about level 22 and progressing well through Act II normal.

It's pretty fun, but I do miss some elements from D2. Oh well. ;)
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Holy s***! Insane mode is much more difficult. I am kiting constantly.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Do your workouts BEFORE you log on for the day. Maknig logging on your reward for completing a workout.

Gaming for long hours plus unhealthy eating habits is what lead me to being almost 500 lbs. I don't have this problem. I am the opposite. I been hitting the gym hard which leaves me with very small window of time to play. Maybe 3 hrs a week? Got the game on launch day and I am only 17 lvl and on Act 2.

1 thing I told myself is 1 hr of gameplay per 1 hr of exercise. You could try something similar.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If anyone is looking for some more casual friends shoot me a message. I still have a lvl 19 Wizard in Act 2 (trying to kill bilal ... ugh). I only get a couple hrs a week after work and gym if I'm lucky. Wouldn't mind finding some other people still playing at lower levels. :)