Bodymedia Fit

Options

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Do you need to buy a subscription on top of the BMF? I really want one, mostly because I am SO curious about what I actually burn every day. I'm suspicious that it's more than I think as well!
    If you buy it with the watch display then after the 3 free months, you can still see your calorie burn. You just don't get all the info like charts. My subscription is up but last week I put it on for a couple of days and just kept track of my calories by checking the display watch. It tells you yesterday's and today's calories. It doesn't save beyond that so you have to remember to log it! :)
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE my Bodymedia FIT. I absolutely could not believe I was burning 2600 - 3000 calories a day. I was eating 1200. NO WONDER I STALLED OUT.

Now I use the BMF just to get my overall calorie burn for the day. I have MFP set to maintenance and I just add calories on to get the overall burn up to what BMF says.

Then I eat so I have, on average, a 500 cal deficit - higher than most in this group but seems fairly suitable for me

You're welcome to check out my diary, it's open, and may give you an idea of how you want to track it all :)

I like this idea...that way you can see your weekly defecit at a glance on the phone app. Thanks for sharing!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Do you need to buy a subscription on top of the BMF? I really want one, mostly because I am SO curious about what I actually burn every day. I'm suspicious that it's more than I think as well!
    If you buy it with the watch display then after the 3 free months, you can still see your calorie burn. You just don't get all the info like charts. My subscription is up but last week I put it on for a couple of days and just kept track of my calories by checking the display watch. It tells you yesterday's and today's calories. It doesn't save beyond that so you have to remember to log it! :)

I wonder if that works with the iphone blue tooth link as well....if it would still transmit the calorie burn to the phone even without a subscription.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I wonder if that works with the iphone blue tooth link as well....if it would still transmit the calorie burn to the phone even without a subscription.

That's what I was wondering also. I'm thinking about asking for one as my anniversary present this month. I was originally going to just get a HRM, but these things seem much cooler, and they work in the pool, correct? A HRM doesn't work in the pool, where I spend MUCH time during the summer.
  • LCraig0124
    LCraig0124 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

That's what I was wondering also. I'm thinking about asking for one as my anniversary present this month. I was originally going to just get a HRM, but these things seem much cooler, and they work in the pool, correct? A HRM doesn't work in the pool, where I spend MUCH time during the summer.

Unfortuantly they are not water proof. The HRM monitor I have works in the pool but the BMF does not. :(
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love mine have only had it a week, all the guess work gone!

It syncs with the Galaxy S2 and I'm in Australia, I do have a deficit of 450-550 daily and have just started losing again YAY.

I had too big a deficit before i burn 2000-2890 and was eating too little, so for me it's great and I can eat more!

I just take across my calorie number from here to the BM site, thats it.

For vigarous activity, the only thing I have found that I get a rading for is Turbo Fire, but she does move fast!

Cheers everyone :)
    Alli
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have one also, and really love it. No, you can't wear it in the pool, and you can't wear it for hot yoga, but you can edit off-body time and enter those activities and it estimates caloric burn pretty well - I tested this by wearing my HRM to hot yoga.

I think the subscription is completely worth it. $7 a month... If I didn't have the BMF and could pay someone $7 to give me my daily TDEE number and compile exhaustive reports, I wouldn't hesitate a heartbeat to do that, and the BMF subscription gives me that and more.

I also use MFP to track my calories and macros, and just enter the daily figure into the BMF. Of course, I'm very data-driven, so I also keep a spreadsheet with the following info:
    1. daily morning scale weight
    2. daily calorie intake
    3. daily net calories
    4. daily TDEE as per the BMF
    5. daily TDEE cut %
    6. daily calorie deficit
    7. daily macros (grams and %s)
    8. daily comments - how I feel, what workout I did, is TOM approaching, etc.
    ...and I have tabs with graphs of my weight fluctuations, calories/net calories, macros %s, and I plan to add another graph with TDEE cut % and calorie deficit.

So... yeah. I really like the BMF. :)

Amy
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have one also, and really love it. No, you can't wear it in the pool, and you can't wear it for hot yoga, but you can edit off-body time and enter those activities and it estimates caloric burn pretty well - I tested this by wearing my HRM to hot yoga.

I think the subscription is completely worth it. $7 a month... If I didn't have the BMF and could pay someone $7 to give me my daily TDEE number and compile exhaustive reports, I wouldn't hesitate a heartbeat to do that, and the BMF subscription gives me that and more.

I also use MFP to track my calories and macros, and just enter the daily figure into the BMF. Of course, I'm very data-driven, so I also keep a spreadsheet with the following info:
    1. daily morning scale weight
    2. daily calorie intaker
    3. daily net calories
    4. daily TDEE as per the BMF
    5. daily TDEE cut %
    6. daily calorie deficit
    7. daily macros (grams and %s)
    8. daily comments - how I feel, what workout I did, is TOM approaching, etc.
    ...and I have tabs with graphs of my weight fluctuations, calories/net calories, macros %s, and I plan to add another graph with TDEE cut % and calorie deficit.

So... yeah. I really like the BMF. :)

Amy

Wow, first of, just want say - what an amazing weight loss!!! Well done, you are so inspirational!!
    Then Id like to ask...you make an aditional spreadsheet with all that info, doesnt the subscription cover that with graphs etc?
    Really cant wait for mine, and just want to understand as much as possible before I get it. :-)
  • pennybutton
    pennybutton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What is the UK version of this?
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and I love it !

No need to spend $179 for one though.... I got mine on EBay, the box was slightly damaged for like $50, then I just went to the website and signed up for the monthly fee....

I have a Polar HR monitor that I use for my workouts.

Still scared to trust what it says I am burning and to eat more.... I am trying to get the courage to up my calories....
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    I'm seriously considering one now - what are the opinions between the Core and the LInk versions (except price!)? I don't know as I'll always wear it everyday, but I am insanely curious about my actual TDEE. So much so that it may be worth $100+ just for peace of mind!
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    The core is smaller and it has bluetooth capabilities, the link version is a bit larger and harder to conceal,

I have the link one, I just plug the cord into my usb port on my pc and it updates itself automatically.... I don't find it that large, not for the price difference
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    What is the UK version of this?

umm...I believe it's universal, no UK version .....

google BodyMedia Fit, buy the device or find it on Ebay, then create a user account at bodymediafit.com, pay for the monthly subscription, plug in your device for the first time, it updates itself, set your user settings and goals like MFP and you are good to go....
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Link on ebay for $90...hope it helps clear things up. I probably won't wear it everyday, but it will be nice to get a real idea of what I burn. Plus, this way I can get a memebership for however long I want, and if I don't need it after a while I can resell it :) So, thanks for the tip on checking ebay!!
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I just bought a Link on ebay for $90...hope it helps clear things up. I probably won't wear it everyday, but it will be nice to get a real idea of what I burn. Plus, this way I can get a memebership for however long I want, and if I don't need it after a while I can resell it :) So, thanks for the tip on checking ebay!!

You are welcome...Great job !!

I am chuckling because I think you "will" wear it everyday ;) the stats you get are very addicting.... I plug mine in...and then as quick as I can, get it back on my arm once the info has transfered, and then when I shower, I take it off. shower quickly, dry my left arm off really well and put it back on hahaha
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You are welcome...Great job !!

I am chuckling because I think you "will" wear it everyday ;) the stats you get are very addicting.... I plug mine in...and then as quick as I can, get it back on my arm once the info has transfered, and then when I shower, I take it off. shower quickly, dry my left arm off really well and put it back on hahaha

Haha- Oh, I guarantee I will be addicted to it at first- I just meant as time goes on..but you're probably right and I'll be addicted foreverrrr!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Tabinmaine...you're right, they will all be addicted!

I wear mine in hot yoga and sweat with it, haven't noticed a problem...other than I don't burn enough in hot yoga:devil:

I got mine on drugstore.com, after you google bodymediafit you'll notice banner ads for $ off coupons. It was like $115 with 3 months free subscription... But ebay for $50 wins!
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely wear it everyday! I went a few days without wearing it but I started stressing about how much I actually burned, plus it really motivates you to move more. Then I started thinking that what if my TDEE changes, I mean it does as your weight drops right? It's a great tool to have so it's a permanent part of my life (at least until I'm well into maintenance and at that point I'll re-evaluate). If there are days when I'm wearing short sleeves at work I just pop it out of the band and into my bra (left cup or band) and I'm good to go without it looking unprofessional.

I have the Link version which is the one with Bluetooth capabilty and I love it! I check it so often it's rediculous :smile:
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    huh ?? you wear it in the left cup ? I didn't know you could do that ??? does not effect your readouts ?
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Yes, but once the unit fills up with info, there is no way to clear it without a subscription, and it will not gather more info unless it is cleared with your online account.