Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Day three for me today, another small loss. Interestingly enough that puts me right where I was two weeks ago and where i left MFP ticker set. I definitely have no trouble getting in my calories. I've missed milk, can drink a lot for the calories and protein. When I could find a protein supplement that didn't taste like dirt to me, but trying to get as much as I can from food sources is fun too. Good luck to all of you. Going to use some time this morning to research metabolism resetting and will post it when I can.
  • terrigrace
    Options
    Some light reading and research, if you are wondering about the science of metabolism resetting.

My first reading assignment was the easiest, Kiki (31prvrbs) is one of our moderators here in the EM2LW group. It was the first thing I read that really made sense as to why the metabolism reset works. It's also one of the few true experiments I've been able to find on the subject. A few other people on MFP have written about why "starvation is a myth" using this as an example, but they seem to twist the result to fit what they are trying to say. Kiki makes it very clear.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-starvation-experiment-208077

The second is "The Metabolism Repair Manual" by Leigh Peele. You can't just find the manual anymore, as far as I've been able to tell. It's part of a bigger $40 package at Leigh Peele's website now, her Fat Loss Troubleshooter guide. I'd be happy to email you some excerpts I've found, just message me with your email address. (I don't want to post them here, I don't want EM2LW to get in trouble for copy right issues, if there are any . . . I'm not great with legal stuff like that. LOL)

Good luck to each and every one of you!
  • smurfee11
    smurfee11 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump to save thread
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tossing my hat in the ring, and a bit scared, too :)

How long do you plan to eat at TDEE? -
    Trying for 4 weeks.

Describe your reasons for doing a metabolism reset. -
    with em2wl so far (11 days) I've been maintaining the same weight at a 15% cut level.
    I am concerned i will be training my body that 1800 is maintenance, needing a cutt off THAT to lose. Not cool.

I have been quite happy at 1800-1900 calories. I only had 1-2 days of bloat.

While I havent done VLC for long before all this, I was definitely a yo yo and binging style dieter. On reflection, it seems I may need to retrain my body and gain its trust.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and ate full TDEE for the first 6 weeks after finding EM2WL to do a metabolic reset, since I had been eating 1200 calories (while half-marathon training AND breastfeeding) for soooo long. Then I tried to cut 15%, and couldn't cut it...haha... backed off to 10%, and some days I still end up closer to full TDEE. I've started to love eating too much. :)

How did it help with your weight loss?

I too am curious how this is working. I'm wondering if I may end up in your boat. I'm also training for a half and nursing, so my body really loves all of the food. I might have to ponder the idea of doing a smaller cut (perhaps 10% like you're doing) until after my half.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Day three for me today, another small loss. Interestingly enough that puts me right where I was two weeks ago and where i left MFP ticker set. I definitely have no trouble getting in my calories. I've missed milk, can drink a lot for the calories and protein. When I could find a protein supplement that didn't taste like dirt to me, but trying to get as much as I can from food sources is fun too. Good luck to all of you. Going to use some time this morning to research metabolism resetting and will post it when I can.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has no trouble getting in calories. There's so much shame in our culture regarding food that I feel like a bad person admitting that I like to eat! But I'm loving these extra calories.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I only need a diet break. I hadn't been calorie restricting before joining mfp in januart 2012. It had been over a year since I had restricted calories. The lowest I was eating at since joining was 1400. I have slowly been upping calories in 50-100 calorie increments. I just upped to 1800 on 5/28/12.

I don't know that I really need a reset or just a 2 week break.

Any thoughts?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    Well, I'm on Day 3 and I seem to be on a downward trend weight wise. So I will continue for a few more days to see if the downward trend continues or if it's just my body picking a level to stabilize at. If it continues I'll up my calories, probably by 100-200, and see where that goes.
  • chrmdone1980
    chrmdone1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in - even though i am not sure how i am going to eat over 3000 calories a day

any tips?
  • terrigrace
    Options
    I am in - even though i am not sure how i am going to eat over 3000 calories a day

any tips?

I have to hit 2200 plus every day, I have a glass of milk with every meal. Calories, protein, but not a lot of extra fat. Definitely plan out your day, break up the calories in to 3 meals, two snacks. I do three snacks . . . lol. Again, focus on good quality lean protein. Of course, that's if you don't have kidney problems and are prone to kidney or gall stones. Good luck! And welcome. Are you doing a full metabolic reset?
  • chrmdone1980
    chrmdone1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yes - i think its best since my metabolism has flatlined over the last several years years and years of yo-yo dieting
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    yes - i think its best since my metabolism has flatlined over the last several years years and years of yo-yo dieting

Welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I am wondering if I only need a diet break. I hadn't been calorie restricting before joining mfp in januart 2012. It had been over a year since I had restricted calories. The lowest I was eating at since joining was 1400. I have slowly been upping calories in 50-100 calorie increments. I just upped to 1800 on 5/28/12.

I don't know that I really need a reset or just a 2 week break.

Any thoughts?

You could always try 2 weeks eating at your full TDEE and play it by ear. If you want to go ahead and drop down then, try it and see how it goes. If you feel like you're not ready you can extend the length of time that you eat at TDEE.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and ate full TDEE for the first 6 weeks after finding EM2WL to do a metabolic reset, since I had been eating 1200 calories (while half-marathon training AND breastfeeding) for soooo long. Then I tried to cut 15%, and couldn't cut it...haha... backed off to 10%, and some days I still end up closer to full TDEE. I've started to love eating too much. :)

How did it help with your weight loss?

I too am curious how this is working. I'm wondering if I may end up in your boat. I'm also training for a half and nursing, so my body really loves all of the food. I might have to ponder the idea of doing a smaller cut (perhaps 10% like you're doing) until after my half.

Im sure she will speak for herself shortly., but I see her progress checks in my news feed, and she has been losing weight recently:)
  • Raynn1
    Options

any tips?

There are a few of us who are near that 3k mark.. Im at 2800.. Kind of funny that us "larger" gals get told all our lives to stop eating so much, and here we are practically stuffing our faces:)
    It does get easier to eat more once you get into it. For me, the biggest thing was changing out a few of my favorite "diet" products and making them ful fat again, like cheese and salad dressings. These eat up a few cals.. Also I put nuts back into my diet. I love them and I missed them for a long time. Now I can easily enjoy a serving size and not feel deprived or feel like I need to eat the whole bag. Greek Yogurt is a great calorie choice and its high in Protein.
    If you can, drink protein shakes. The powders are generally inexpensive and you can get 30-70g of protein in a shake. Great way to boost your protein up and use up cals.
    I also add in extra servings of meat. So inteast of 3 or 4 oz, Im eating 5oz.

Take it slow, resist the urge to eat a ton of junk just to get in the cals, drink your water and see how things go
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Wow - this thread has really blown up since I started it. I'm so excited to see so many of us wanting to support one another through this! Thank you for posting and telling your stories. I wanted so badly to respond personally to people, but there's so many responses I can't remember who said what right now. :blushing:

Well, I'm on day 2 of eating at TDEE. I actually was down a bit on the scale this morning. I think it's likely because I had some binge days last week. So I wonder if my weight will level off and then stay constant. If the loss continues over several days, I will increase calories. I admit that will be hard for me to do - someone might have to remind me that I'm supposed to be maintaining and I better up my calories some more. But despite my reluctance, I do think this is necessary given my history.

I kind of feel like I have a vested interest to do this metabolism reset. I mean, maybe I could plug along at TDEE with a cut. But what if my body can actually handle a few more calories. Let's say doing this reset means I can maintain at 2600 vs. 2300. That's 300 extra calories that I get to live off of for the rest of my life. I am a bit of a foodie, so I get excited by things like that. I mean, that's two squares of dark chocolate and a glass of wine right there. :drinker:

I'm not sure that I will need the full 8 weeks. I did a lot of splurging prior to joining MFP in February. I was lucky to learn about the concept of eating more at the beginning of April. So I was following MFP's recommendations for roughly 6 weeks. Back then I thought it was a "bad" day when I ate back all of my exercise calories. Now I'm thankful that I had so many "bad" days, so I'm hoping I didn't kill my metabolism too much.

Anyways, I'm so glad everyone is here and I hope we can be encouraging to one another to stick it out!

I am so happy to hear you say that! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thoroughly enjoys eating 2600 calories! 300 cals extra than I thought? Sure!

I did my cut for 3 weeks and now doing the reset I do feel a little bloated, like I have the fat suit on but also I am getting into TOM territory so that could also explain some of that......

Either way I am still loving it!
  • Raynn1
    Options
    I have weighed in every day for the past 2 months... its killing me not to look at the scale this morning.... but I need to avoid it for a while and give myself a sanity break.. I found to many times my day was made or broken by what the scale said.. not good for me..
    So.. 7 days, no scale
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    Hello all. I'm just starting week 2 today of EMTWL. I was eating 1,200 calories and starting last week upped my calories to 1881 a day. On workout days I often have to eat back a small portion of my calories so on those days I'm eating approx. 2000 calories. Anyhow, I'm trying to figure it all out still. I either do great making my 1881 calories a day but go over in fat and sugar grams or I can stay under on my sugar and fat grams but also go under on my calories for the day. I have myfitnesspal set up for what was suggested (30/30/40).....I have my sugar set up for 40 grams a day. I always go over every day in fiber and protein. Any suggestions?? Which is more important? staying right on my calorie allowment for the day or sticking to my sugar/fat grams allowance for the day>
  • Raynn1
    Options
    Hello all. I'm just starting week 2 today of EMTWL. I was eating 1,200 calories and starting last week upped my calories to 1881 a day. On workout days I often have to eat back a small portion of my calories so on those days I'm eating approx. 2000 calories. Anyhow, I'm trying to figure it all out still. I either do great making my 1881 calories a day but go over in fat and sugar grams or I can stay under on my sugar and fat grams but also go under on my calories for the day. I have myfitnesspal set up for what was suggested (30/30/40).....I have my sugar set up for 40 grams a day. I always go over every day in fiber and protein. Any suggestions?? Which is more important? staying right on my calorie allowment for the day or sticking to my sugar/fat grams allowance for the day>

Just checking your macro is actually 40% carbs, 30% fat 30% protein, and not 40% protein...
    Protein is great to go a bit over on. no problems there.. same with fibre.I never pay attention to sugar because if you eat fruit, you will likely go over on it. There is no distinction between "good" sugars and bad.. same with Carbs.. i dont worry too much if I go over on Carbs, especially if my day was really healthy and lower on the breads than the fruits. .
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    That's why I dont eat any fruit, b/c I would over in sugar grams every single day... I've always thought that was crazy but that is what my registered dietician told me to do...then again, she also told me to eat 1,200 calories a day........
    so in your opinion, I should pay more attention to the 1881 calories a day and not worry so much if I go over in sugar and fat grams.....as long as they are healthy forms of sugar grams and fat grams (fruits, nuts, peanut butter, etc)

I (think I) have my macro's set up as the following: 30% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat............isn't that right?