Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ty ladies, I think I understand now. =)

Last thing: So even though my home page shows I have 831 calories remaining, since Goal Food =1700 and food says 1080. Does that mean I really only have 620 calories left to eat today?:huh: Because if I eat those 831 remaining, that would be 1911 calories, higher than my 1700 tdee.

My net says 869. 869+620=1489 which is above my 1250 BMR.

Thanks again for your patience.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    That's why I dont eat any fruit, b/c I would over in sugar grams every single day... I've always thought that was crazy but that is what my registered dietician told me to do...then again, she also told me to eat 1,200 calories a day........
    so in your opinion, I should pay more attention to the 1881 calories a day and not worry so much if I go over in sugar and fat grams.....as long as they are healthy forms of sugar grams and fat grams (fruits, nuts, peanut butter, etc)

I (think I) have my macro's set up as the following: 30% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat............isn't that right?

40 carb, 30 fat, 30 protein

Yes, I would just wory about staying close to your calorie target, making sure protein is as close as you can get to your macro, but dont worry so much about the sugar and fat, especially if you are eating "clean" healthy things like fruits and nuts. Its a shame there isnt a breakdown of the good fats and bad.. kind of lumps it all under one..
    For carbs, as long as you are eating whole grains, whole wheats, fruits then those carbs are good for you, and the ones you want to have..

Good to know! I keep going over my carbs and fats. I think I have my carbs and protein macros mixed up so I'll have to re-check that. I have been splurging since EM2WL but I am coming from years of very clean eating. I didn't eat out at any type of restaurant unless I HAD to. Monday after a day of hiking with my family we brought home pizza and I ate it with them. I NEVER do that. Usually they eat pizza while I make chicken ad veggies or whatever. Being able to do that and not obsess, to just enjoy that time with my family was pretty amazing....

Anyway, point being I eat lots of healthy fats and carbs I keep worrying about going over even though my calories are good. More days than not my calories, protein and sodium are good so now I can relax a little!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    uuuuuh so I ate 2494 calories today (TDEE has me at 2697) when I clicked the button to post my diary it says If every day were like today... You'd weigh 168.0 lbs in 5 weeks...I weight 165 now?!?!

I don't even read that number! It's just discouraging no matter if you eat too little (makes it seem as though it's a good thing to undereat) or too much!

yup...ignore it. mine keeps telling me I'm going to gain too....it's too stupid to know better. :tongue:

I like having a conversation with mine.. "in 5 weeks you will be 238.6" OH REALLY?? Ill show you, you piece of crap siggy line!!:)

Yeah...mine has been telling me for a year and a half how much I will lose if everyday was the same.....it lied then, too:noway:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Last thing: So even though my home page shows I have 831 calories remaining, since Goal Food =1700 and food says 1080. Does that mean I really only have 620 calories left to eat today?:huh: Because if I eat those 831 remaining, that would be 1911 calories, higher than my 1700 tdee.

Yep, you got it...eat 620 more calories and if your NET = 1489 at the end of the day that is perfect because it's above your BMR. :happy: Now you're rockin'!
  • jyska
    Options
    Yeah...mine has been telling me for a year and a half how much I will lose if everyday was the same.....it lied then, too:noway:

Haha! I'd forgotten about that end of it! So TRUE!
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Yep, you got it...eat 620 more calories and if your NET = 1489 at the end of the day that is perfect because it's above your BMR. :happy: Now you're rockin'!

So that "calories remaining"number is useless during workout days eh? ;p

Ty again for the help! you rock :D
  • jyska
    Options

LOL, yep, it's pretty useless on those days! :laugh: And you are welcome!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm resetting! Started yesterday,

BMR 1613
    TDEE 2500

On Kiki's suggestion, I will increase until I see a gain that sticks (not water, TOM, etc.). I'll back off a bit and sit there for a month or so then cut back 15%.

Reason: I lost 75# 11 years ago and never found it.:love::love: I kept it off on VLCD. I've tried to lose an additional 15# for 3 years, with zero success, in spite of working out 6hr/wk. I've maintained at 1200 calories and at 1900 calories.:noway: Think I'll try showing myself some love and see what happens.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options

BMR 1613
    TDEE 2500

On Kiki's suggestion, I will increase until I see a gain that sticks (not water, TOM, etc.). I'll back off a bit and sit there for a month or so then cut back 15%.

Reason: I lost 75# 11 years ago and never found it.:love::love: I kept it off on VLCD. I've tried to lose an additional 15# for 3 years, with zero success, in spite of working out 6hr/wk. I've maintained at 1200 calories and at 1900 calories.:noway: Think I'll try showing myself some love and see what happens.

I'm curious about this, because I was doing TDEE -15%, and gained 6 lbs. It's been twelve weeks, so I know it's not TOM or water weight. What do you mean "back off a bit"? This happened to me on a cut, so now I'm scared to go up 300 calories a day to get to TDEE. I seriously don't want to gain another 6 lbs. in the next 4-8wks.... it's swimsuit season for cryin' out loud.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

BMR 1613
    TDEE 2500

I'm curious about this, because I was doing TDEE -15%, and gained 6 lbs. It's been twelve weeks, so I know it's not TOM or water weight. What do you mean "back off a bit"? This happened to me on a cut, so now I'm scared to go up 300 calories a day to get to TDEE. I seriously don't want to gain another 6 lbs. in the next 4-8wks.... it's swimsuit season for cryin' out loud.

Let my clarify my answer to stating I have no idea what I'm doing. :tongue:

That said, if I start seeing a regular gain, I know I'm eating a bit too much so I will back off about 100 calories until I level out. I've been eating really close to cut for 13 weeks now and my weight has gone up about 1#. I'm trying to increase the number of calories where I can maintain then cut back to trick my body into losing again.

Kiki can explain it much better. Maybe together we can all find the magic number!
  • random_20
    random_20 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone just looking for some advice should i do a metabolism reset?

i've net above my bmr since end of march, i uppped my calories to 2000 at the beginning of may went down to 1900 two weeks later but i'm just upped them again to around 2100 since if i'm moderately active this is my 15% cut from the scooby workshop website, its also my tdee if i'm considered lightly active haven't figure out which one i am yet but i'm suspecting moderately active.

the scale hasn't moved and neither have the measurements, my diet isn't the greatest so i'm not sure if i need to either focus more on hitting my macros, or do a metabolism reset. at the moment i'm in uni and about to go into finals so i'm not focusing too much on it but in two weeks exams will be over and i will focus on it again it would be good to have a starting plan for then though.

i've never intentionally done a vlcd diet but over time there has been phases were i've been exercising and probably not been netting above my bmr (hadn't even heard of it till about a couple of months ago).

i'd appreciate any feedback

thanks
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm having second thought about eating at TDEE. I'm going back and forth between doing it for just a week, going back to TDEE -15%, or just eating a flat 1750 cals daily. My weight started creeping up at least a week before I started a heavy lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5), and I weighed myself on Tuesday morning because a lot of my small clothes are getting tight (and these were clothes I bought fairly recently). I measure myself once a month, and from April 28th - May 29th I went up 1" in my belly, 2" in my hips, and almost 2" in my breasts.

I weighed again this morning, because I decided to weigh in daily so that I could understand that daily weight fluctuations are normal.

I think I'm too worried that this won't work--which might be ok if I were to maintain--but I'm scared I'll gain a lot and that I won't be able to fit into ANY of my clothes, and of how long it will take me to get that weight back off. Plus I'm just feeling super bloated, stuffed, and uncomfortable. I pre-logged my after-dnner snack, but I don't want to eat it.

I might stick it out for the rest of this week, but right now I'm very nervous and scared. I've often been the odd one out in these situations--i.e., what seems to work for practically everyone else backfires on me.
  • catti41
    catti41 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump for later consideration
  • jmmscccslp
    jmmscccslp Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm in! I've been EM for 7 weeks. I feel good and have lost a few inches but feel like I should be looking better since Jillian is killing me with the Body Revolution 6 days per week! I feel stronger and more toned but still very ...thick! My reset date is May 26. I'm planning on 6-8 weeks but can't make any promises at this point! Love the group and the thread. You guys are great! Stay tuned...
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options

LOL, yep, it's pretty useless on those days! :laugh: And you are welcome!

I've been adding my exercise calories last thing of the day. It's helped me get used to the whole thing.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm having second thought about eating at TDEE. I'm going back and forth between doing it for just a week, going back to TDEE -15%, or just eating a flat 1750 cals daily. My weight started creeping up at least a week before I started a heavy lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5), and I weighed myself on Tuesday morning because a lot of my small clothes are getting tight (and these were clothes I bought fairly recently). I measure myself once a month, and from April 28th - May 29th I went up 1" in my belly, 2" in my hips, and almost 2" in my breasts.

I weighed again this morning, because I decided to weigh in daily so that I could understand that daily weight fluctuations are normal.

I think I'm too worried that this won't work--which might be ok if I were to maintain--but I'm scared I'll gain a lot and that I won't be able to fit into ANY of my clothes, and of how long it will take me to get that weight back off. Plus I'm just feeling super bloated, stuffed, and uncomfortable. I pre-logged my after-dnner snack, but I don't want to eat it.

I might stick it out for the rest of this week, but right now I'm very nervous and scared. I've often been the odd one out in these situations--i.e., what seems to work for practically everyone else backfires on me.

I am sorry you are struggling, I know how hard it is to trust what you are doing is right. If it makes you feel any better, I am feeling puffy and bloated and my scale is up some too, but I know it is part of the process. I think resetting is right for you when you get sick of the other process. The trying so hard, exercising so much, eating so little and seeing small to no results. And you realize you don't want to live the rest of your life like that. I figure small sacrifices right now will help me in the long run to be able to eat more normally (not like a bird) and still lose inches/weight.
    Also, I know how much it takes to gain a pound of weight. If I am gaining and gaining and gaining at what I think my TDEE is, then I know my metabolism is seriously screwed up and I NEED to do this anyways, just think about that. So the weight gain is telling us something. I also don't believe this is true weight gain. It is water and just my body repairing the damage I did by feeding it too little and working out too much. It will resolve itself. Once my weight seems to level off (aside from TOM and lifting), then I know I have hit a sweet spot, I will stay there to reinforce to my body it will be fed and then I will know it is time to cut back a little bit.
    I have been at this for so long, I am just sick of it all (starving/stressing/weighing,killing myself at the gym), so that is how I knew this was right for me. You have to find your own reasons and motivation and then it will make total sense.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone just looking for some advice should i do a metabolism reset?

i've net above my bmr since end of march, i uppped my calories to 2000 at the beginning of may went down to 1900 two weeks later but i'm just upped them again to around 2100 since if i'm moderately active this is my 15% cut from the scooby workshop website, its also my tdee if i'm considered lightly active haven't figure out which one i am yet but i'm suspecting moderately active.

the scale hasn't moved and neither have the measurements, my diet isn't the greatest so i'm not sure if i need to either focus more on hitting my macros, or do a metabolism reset. at the moment i'm in uni and about to go into finals so i'm not focusing too much on it but in two weeks exams will be over and i will focus on it again it would be good to have a starting plan for then though.

i've never intentionally done a vlcd diet but over time there has been phases were i've been exercising and probably not been netting above my bmr (hadn't even heard of it till about a couple of months ago).

i'd appreciate any feedback

thanks

Hmmm, I think if I hadn't been doing vlcd, I would have just started at my cut personally, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to do a reset if you want to be sure. You probably wouldn't have to do it as long and it may help you to figure out what your TDEE or maintenance level is for sure.
    Also, I know a lot of people in the EM2WL group start with their cut, and then if they don't see the results they expect, move onto a reset. So you could do it that way too.
    Exams would be a good time to reset, eat more to fuel your brain and not as much time for exercise, which would give your body a break so to speak.
    Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If any of you would like more info on metabolism repair there is a group for that too.
    Just look up metabolism repair in the group section.

There are some great posts about what to expect. Required reading I'd say.
    Don't let the head game get you. You are doing the right thing.
    Repeat, you are doing the right thing. It's my mantra.
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You all rock! What a beautifully supportive group :)

I had a big bang on the head today as to WHY I'm doing this.

At some point, I will reach my goal. And I don't want to reach that goal, and be stuck forever at a maintenance of, say, 1800 calories, because that's what I've trained my body to do.

I'd rather have a maintenance, after goal, that's more reasonable. That allows me to live my life and enjoy food and be active and be healthy & thin, too.

A reset will train my body so I can take in more food over the long haul. Is it a bit scary? Yeah. I don't want to be puffier. But I also want to get it RIGHT this time :)