Any Natural Hair Groups???

Options

Replies

• robertrettab
    Options
    I have been natural for 7 years. I had locs and then cut them about a year ago. I love my natural hair but it is still a journey that I enjoy talking about so feel free to add me as well. My hair and weight journey are connected
  • sdurrahMpls
    sdurrahMpls Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is my second time being natural. My last realxer was May 2010. I don't so much have a natural hair journey anymore. My hair is beyond long enough for most styles, but in the beginning, I coupled the two, weight and hair. It was easier going natural than becoming serious about my weight loss. I was obsessed with natural hair for a long time before my hair got long enough to do things with. One day it hit me, nothing I put in my hair would make it grow longer or be healthier, it was all about what I ate. That was a big reason I started adding more fruits and veggies to my diet. Then I realized that all the junk I was eating was messing up my skin, so i started eliminating that little by little. Eating healthier got easier when I realized it affected my skin and hair, not just body size. Now a days, I'm not so worried about my hair, I watch youtube videos now and then but I don't obsess... I'm more obsessed with my body, and in that way they've become two seperate things. I think the two definitely go hand in hand, but for me to really develop in the fitness area, I had to start letting my hair obsession go.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This is my second time being natural. My last realxer was May 2010. I don't so much have a natural hair journey anymore. My hair is beyond long enough for most styles, but in the beginning, I coupled the two, weight and hair. It was easier going natural than becoming serious about my weight loss. I was obsessed with natural hair for a long time before my hair got long enough to do things with. One day it hit me, nothing I put in my hair would make it grow longer or be healthier, it was all about what I ate. That was a big reason I started adding more fruits and veggies to my diet. Then I realized that all the junk I was eating was messing up my skin, so i started eliminating that little by little. Eating healthier got easier when I realized it affected my skin and hair, not just body size. Now a days, I'm not so worried about my hair, I watch youtube videos now and then but I don't obsess... I'm more obsessed with my body, and in that way they've become two seperate things. I think the two definitely go hand in hand, but for me to really develop in the fitness area, I had to start letting my hair obsession go.

Its amazing how so many ppl who embrace their natural hair do realize all the health benefits. You started with your hair and it led you to your body. I think it is such a beautiful journey mind, body and soul. Thanks for sharing :happy:
  • Dana_gets_fit
    Dana_gets_fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for almost 2 years. I am not on a journey for my natural hair really. But I know if I am healthy on the inside, I will look healthy on the outside.

I guess it goes hand and hand. I embraced a routine and motivation for my hair. I and still working hard on my body.
  • FiftyandFabulous
    FiftyandFabulous Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been natural for six years. What about you?
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Been natural since birth. But last november was the first time I learned how to take care of my curls. And now they are growing and thriving :happy:
  • CAJ11
    CAJ11 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been natural since 2005 and it is a journey as well as weight loss. Feel free to add me.
  • charlene_K
    charlene_K Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I went natural in 2008. It is so refreshing. I love my hair and it feels great. I love the flexibility of being aboe to weave and braid and then take a break from that tp have my natural hair. I have learned to love my natural curls and find products that work best for me. My weight loss journey is not connected to my hair, but it is way way way easier to workout and not have to worry about straight hair.
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just decided earlier this year to go natural, so way before I started my weightloss journey. However I am kinda combining the two inan effort to really just get healthy all over, including my hair. I don't plan on doing a BC, but rather slowly cutting off the relaxed ends over time. I'm doing sew ins for now until I figure out what to do next :smile:
  • layapooh15
    layapooh15 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes natural since march 12 and im workinon
    both so add me
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Natural 8 years plus.. Still Love the fact that I can workout as hard as I want and not worry about my hair so much.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have been natural since October 2011, last perm December 2010.
  • pixette
    pixette Posts: 3
    Options
    I saw Good Hair (with Chris Rock) and LOVED it! I want to go to the show with my natural hair and rock out!
  • pixette
    pixette Posts: 3
    Options
    In my picture my hair is straightened, and I do occasionally flat-iron it. That being said, ever since I started doing Zumba, I've had to shower every day, and thus keep my curls natural. The best thing about natural, soft, curly hair is that if it starts looking a little crazy, I just have to pat some water on it and define the curls, then I'm set to go! So great. I love my hair!

Who else loves her hair? Can anyone tell me what it is like to get a relaxer? I'm just curious, never having had one. What's the difference between a relaxer and a perm? I'd like to know from another woman.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    In my picture my hair is straightened, and I do occasionally flat-iron it. That being said, ever since I started doing Zumba, I've had to shower every day, and thus keep my curls natural. The best thing about natural, soft, curly hair is that if it starts looking a little crazy, I just have to pat some water on it and define the curls, then I'm set to go! So great. I love my hair!

Who else loves her hair? Can anyone tell me what it is like to get a relaxer? I'm just curious, never having had one. What's the difference between a relaxer and a perm? I'd like to know from another woman.

Im not sure what the difference is either. But I think ppl use the two words interchangeably.
  • KMissyD
    KMissyD Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The end of this month I will be natural a year. I love wearing my hair straight so the flat iron is my friend. I do spice things up from time to time and wear a braid out.
  • nfspen
    nfspen Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am somewhat new to MFP. I am thinking about going on a natural hair/healthy lifestyle journey. I have been struggling with my hair all summer. I've maintained my hair by going to the salon every week ( which is about twenty minutes from my house..GAS)! I don't want to ease up on my workouts because school will start back in a few weeks. I am getting braids to think about everything and maintain my workout regimen.
  • nbrown1989
    nbrown1989 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tried to go natural before and would like to go again while on this journey because I Dont want to deal with relaxers and I dont want to BC either..
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hello! My last relaxer was in 2004. I started my healthy living journey last September. My hair "matches" my lifestyle and I cannot image ever letting my hair be a hindrance to exercising. In fact, I just got back from the gym ... 'fro all out and gorgeous and I was getting it! Life is good!
  • CityGurlA
    CityGurlA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm natural too. Add me if you'd like. I've been natural for almost three years. The weight loss is separate but part of my overall lifestyle transformation, and I can use as much support I can get on the weight loss side.