Any Natural Hair Groups???

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
Just curious if there are any naturalistas on MFP? or anyone growing out their hair while on this healthy/weightloss journey ?

Replies

• 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I haven't relaxed in over 6 years. My hair journey is seperate from my lifestyle change.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Oh okay. Guess everyone is different. thanks for the reply :-)
  • asw84
    asw84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have natural hair. My hair is separate from my lifestyle change as well.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well I'm natural, and also interested in maintaining the maximum amount of growth. So I guess in a way, I'm still on my natural hair journey while also working on my LONG weight loss journey.

Add me if you like hun :-) I've been natural since Dec. 28, 2010 -- that's when I BC'd, haven't relaxed since July 2010.

How far along are you?
  • natural4ever2010
    natural4ever2010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I BC'd right before the hairshow in ATL last year so that was in April. I am still on my journey as well. It is a lot easier working out since I don't have the hair excusses. Both are journey's and I have been more successful on the hair journey. I can identify with you. There is a hair meetup in Columbia.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Well I'm natural, and also interested in maintaining the maximum amount of growth. So I guess in a way, I'm still on my natural hair journey while also working on my LONG weight loss journey.

Add me if you like hun :-) I've been natural since Dec. 28, 2010 -- that's when I BC'd, haven't relaxed since July 2010.

How far along are you?

Ive been Natural all my life but just last year I learned how to take care of my locs and am still learning really. Was able to retain mosst of my length since starting my journey of healthy hair last November.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I BC'd right before the hairshow in ATL last year so that was in April. I am still on my journey as well. It is a lot easier working out since I don't have the hair excusses. Both are journey's and I have been more successful on the hair journey. I can identify with you. There is a hair meetup in Columbia.

it is definitely easier to workout when you arent worrying about straight hair.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am natural and am currently trying to grow my hair about longer and repair heat damage! Feel free to add me :)
  • Pammilla2000
    Pammilla2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for almost a year. I did the BC in August 2011. I am on a weight loss & natural hair journey and I am enjoying the ride so far. Please feel free to add me as a friend! We are all in this together trying to accomplish the same goals which is to be better overall from head to toes. Have a blessed day!!!
  • missmonica78
    missmonica78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm on a natural hair journey/weight loss journey as well. I BC'd January 15, 2012. I guess I sort of combine both my journies. My excuse for not cutting my hair sooner was "I want to lose weight first". I'm so glad that I didn't wait. For me, it's fun to see my weight go down as my hair grows. For some reason I connect the two. To me, they both are a symbol of overall health, wellness, and freedom.....freedom from relaxers/chemicals and societal expectations, as well as freedom from this weight that has been holding me back my whole life.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm on a natural hair journey/weight loss journey as well. I BC'd January 15, 2012. I guess I sort of combine both my journies. My excuse for not cutting my hair sooner was "I want to lose weight first". I'm so glad that I didn't wait. For me, it's fun to see my weight go down as my hair grows. For some reason I connect the two. To me, they both are a symbol of overall health, wellness, and freedom.....freedom from relaxers/chemicals and societal expectations, as well as freedom from this weight that has been holding me back my whole life.

I love it!!! Congrats on finding, excepting and enjoying your natural beauty. I wish you continued luck on your journey. There is a group that is on MFP for individuals seeking Long/Natural Hair support called Long/Natural Hair Divas, just FYI
  • yolste07
    yolste07 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the perms I have not relaxed my hair in over 3 years, I have been locking for 1 year 8 months and I am loving it. I am loving this natural style and yes it makes it so much easier to exercise. Best wishes ladies on your weight lost journey and best wishes to those that are having a hair journey also.
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am natural and have been for the last 6 years. I got sisterlocks about 3 years ago and I love the freedom when it comes to my workouts. Absolutely no worries!!! I Love it!
    Feel free to add me :smile:
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I am natural and have been for the last 6 years. I got sisterlocks about 3 years ago and I love the freedom when it comes to my workouts. Absolutely no worries!!! I Love it!
    Feel free to add me :smile:
    got tired of the perms I have not relaxed my hair in over 3 years, I have been locking for 1 year 8 months and I am loving it. I am loving this natural style and yes it makes it so much easier to exercise. Best wishes ladies on your weight lost journey and best wishes to those that are having a hair journey also.

Makes things so much easier, right!!?? lol Love it!!
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's the best!!
  • BamaGirl813
    Options
    I am also connecting the 2! My last perm was 1/6/2012. So this is a new transition for me as well! :)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I am also connecting the 2! My last perm was 1/6/2012. So this is a new transition for me as well! :)

Good luck on your weightloss/natural hair journey.You can do this :smile:
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am natural also, My hair is separate from my weight loss. My hair is bra strap length but I am growing it longer.
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for almost 14 months now. My hair is definitely more healthy now.
  • Apsalmss27
    Apsalmss27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been natural since 2007, but in 2010 I got my sisterlocs and have not looked back. I love my hair:) I am real big on natural hair care, I make sure I spray my hair every morning with my mixture and make sure I wash my hair with natural products. Natural hair just makes it so much easier to work out and not worry about what my hair will look like...