Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any Natural Hair Groups???

Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,851 Member
Just curious if there are any naturalistas on MFP? or anyone growing out their hair while on this healthy/weightloss journey ?

Replies

• I haven't relaxed in over 6 years. My hair journey is seperate from my lifestyle change.
  • Curvimami
    Oh okay. Guess everyone is different. thanks for the reply :-)
  • asw84
    asw84 Posts: 7 Member
    I have natural hair. My hair is separate from my lifestyle change as well.
  • secretiive
    secretiive Posts: 121 Member
    Well I'm natural, and also interested in maintaining the maximum amount of growth. So I guess in a way, I'm still on my natural hair journey while also working on my LONG weight loss journey.

Add me if you like hun :-) I've been natural since Dec. 28, 2010 -- that's when I BC'd, haven't relaxed since July 2010.

How far along are you?
  • natural4ever2010
    natural4ever2010 Posts: 7 Member
    I BC'd right before the hairshow in ATL last year so that was in April. I am still on my journey as well. It is a lot easier working out since I don't have the hair excusses. Both are journey's and I have been more successful on the hair journey. I can identify with you. There is a hair meetup in Columbia.
  • Curvimami
    Well I'm natural, and also interested in maintaining the maximum amount of growth. So I guess in a way, I'm still on my natural hair journey while also working on my LONG weight loss journey.

Add me if you like hun :-) I've been natural since Dec. 28, 2010 -- that's when I BC'd, haven't relaxed since July 2010.

How far along are you?

Ive been Natural all my life but just last year I learned how to take care of my locs and am still learning really. Was able to retain mosst of my length since starting my journey of healthy hair last November.
  • Curvimami
    I BC'd right before the hairshow in ATL last year so that was in April. I am still on my journey as well. It is a lot easier working out since I don't have the hair excusses. Both are journey's and I have been more successful on the hair journey. I can identify with you. There is a hair meetup in Columbia.

it is definitely easier to workout when you arent worrying about straight hair.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    I am natural and am currently trying to grow my hair about longer and repair heat damage! Feel free to add me :)
  • Pammilla2000
    Pammilla2000 Posts: 31 Member
    I have been natural for almost a year. I did the BC in August 2011. I am on a weight loss & natural hair journey and I am enjoying the ride so far. Please feel free to add me as a friend! We are all in this together trying to accomplish the same goals which is to be better overall from head to toes. Have a blessed day!!!
  • missmonica78
    missmonica78 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Ladies,

I'm on a natural hair journey/weight loss journey as well. I BC'd January 15, 2012. I guess I sort of combine both my journies. My excuse for not cutting my hair sooner was "I want to lose weight first". I'm so glad that I didn't wait. For me, it's fun to see my weight go down as my hair grows. For some reason I connect the two. To me, they both are a symbol of overall health, wellness, and freedom.....freedom from relaxers/chemicals and societal expectations, as well as freedom from this weight that has been holding me back my whole life.
  • Curvimami
    Hi Ladies,

I'm on a natural hair journey/weight loss journey as well. I BC'd January 15, 2012. I guess I sort of combine both my journies. My excuse for not cutting my hair sooner was "I want to lose weight first". I'm so glad that I didn't wait. For me, it's fun to see my weight go down as my hair grows. For some reason I connect the two. To me, they both are a symbol of overall health, wellness, and freedom.....freedom from relaxers/chemicals and societal expectations, as well as freedom from this weight that has been holding me back my whole life.

I love it!!! Congrats on finding, excepting and enjoying your natural beauty. I wish you continued luck on your journey. There is a group that is on MFP for individuals seeking Long/Natural Hair support called Long/Natural Hair Divas, just FYI
  • yolste07
    yolste07 Posts: 327 Member
    I got tired of the perms I have not relaxed my hair in over 3 years, I have been locking for 1 year 8 months and I am loving it. I am loving this natural style and yes it makes it so much easier to exercise. Best wishes ladies on your weight lost journey and best wishes to those that are having a hair journey also.
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    I am natural and have been for the last 6 years. I got sisterlocks about 3 years ago and I love the freedom when it comes to my workouts. Absolutely no worries!!! I Love it!
    Feel free to add me :smile:
  • Curvimami
    I am natural and have been for the last 6 years. I got sisterlocks about 3 years ago and I love the freedom when it comes to my workouts. Absolutely no worries!!! I Love it!
    Feel free to add me :smile:
    got tired of the perms I have not relaxed my hair in over 3 years, I have been locking for 1 year 8 months and I am loving it. I am loving this natural style and yes it makes it so much easier to exercise. Best wishes ladies on your weight lost journey and best wishes to those that are having a hair journey also.

Makes things so much easier, right!!?? lol Love it!!
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Oh yeah, it's the best!!
  • I am also connecting the 2! My last perm was 1/6/2012. So this is a new transition for me as well! :)
  • Curvimami
    I am also connecting the 2! My last perm was 1/6/2012. So this is a new transition for me as well! :)

Good luck on your weightloss/natural hair journey.You can do this :smile:
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    I am natural also, My hair is separate from my weight loss. My hair is bra strap length but I am growing it longer.
  • MuffRuff
    MuffRuff Posts: 238 Member
    I have been natural for almost 14 months now. My hair is definitely more healthy now.
  • Apsalmss27
    Apsalmss27 Posts: 21 Member
    I have been natural since 2007, but in 2010 I got my sisterlocs and have not looked back. I love my hair:) I am real big on natural hair care, I make sure I spray my hair every morning with my mixture and make sure I wash my hair with natural products. Natural hair just makes it so much easier to work out and not worry about what my hair will look like...