Clean eating - what does it mean to YOU! (new)

Options
13»

Replies

• Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My mom was a bit of a hippie; she made yogurt and ground whole grains to bake bread, and she used butter instead of margerine. She wouldn't let us eat cereal for breakfast except rarely, if it was on clearance or something-- and it was plain cheerios. No sodas, no fast foods, no American cheese. Literally ONE slice of lunch meat on a sandwich. Fresh ground peanut butter instead of Jif.

She also made cakes and cookies sometimes.

But seeing as I maintain a healthy weight when I eat the sorts of things I grew up with, I consider healthy food "anything mom would make if it wasn't Christmas or someone's birthday" :laugh:

What a great mom. That's a lot of work! I'm trying to be like her.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Bumping this thread back to the top because I found it so refreshing to have lots of different opinions and not one argument.

I was considering asking on the main board what people generally thought clean eating was (I might still do it just to see what happens - bit of a *kitten* stirrer at heart).

But from what I can gather clean eating is simply eating real food and avoiding mass produced factory non-foods.

It seems that on the main boards the focus is on losing weight and with very little emphasis on what clean eating does for your health in general. Maybe if you posted something like "How (other than weight loss) clean eating has helped you" you'd get better responses. I'd do it but I prefer not to poke at snarks. :smile:
  • 0nehappyheart
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • thisisforme43
    thisisforme43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is eating less processed foods. I make almost all are meals at home. I mostly buy produce. meat, dairy and frozen fruits and vegetables. There is rarely anything in my cart that my grandmother or great-grandmother wouldn't recognize. But I don't buy organic, and I buy commercial meat. My parents and other relatives all farm. I know I'm a minority on that distinction but I trust our food.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For me it's ditching the processed foods for the whole foods. My goal is to ditch gluten and processed carbs, ditch dairy, and ditch sugar that doesn't appear naturally in my food. This means the menu consists of organic meats, wild caught fish, organic veggies, organic fruit, whole grains like quinoa and oats, and raw nuts and seeds. Do I always reach this goal? No way! But it's an ideal to strive for and a goal to move toward :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    clean for me is:
    no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no wheat ( no gluten) , no fructose ( intolerant) .
    Lots of vegetables, beans legumes, nuts, herbs and spices.
    Curries, soups, mega salads.
    It's that or IBS!
  • jalence
    jalence Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so interesting. I didn't know clean eating was a thing until just now, but I've been doing it (or wanting to) for years. Even when I was a kid I was afraid of fast food, never liked Oreos either because they look so artificial.

I had an epiphany a few years ago, when I was calmly picking the caterpillars off of some organic broccoli that I had gotten from my local CSA. I used to believe that I was squeamish about produce, i.e. if I found a single blemish I would throw the whole thing away. To my shame, I would get so grossed out over a bruise on an apple, LET ALONE finding a caterpillar in the broccoli, that I would really freak out. But with the CSA produce I had no problem at all just cutting out bad parts. I realized it wasn't produce that I was squeamish about... it was grocery store produce.

So... for me, clean eating simply means cooking from scratch with actual fresh ingredients. No recipes that mention brand names or cream of mushroom soup! Over the years I have experimented with making my own bread, yogurt, chicken/beef/veggie stock, granola. I'm looking forward to learning more about clean eating from you guys.
  • nightshutter
    Options
    I heard this rule once, only eat food that's been shot, picked, plucked, or milked. I'm a vegetarian so I don't shoot my food though. haha

I'm new to clean eating and this group. I'm trying to start to eat cleaner. A lot of the posts I agree with. But this one is the easiest and simplest definition. Except I'm not a vegetarian.

I'm aiming to eat less processed/ pre packaged foods. Leaner meats. Nothing white ( breads, rice,sugar, etc) fresh veggies and fruit.