is this bad?

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
Is it bad to not give a potential date a chance because of who he hangs out with?

My old best friend and I basically had our relationship stall and crash in 2009 because of her boyfriend, who I greatly dislike for a number of reasons. I let her know about it and told her he's bad news and that I didn't support them.

Ever since I've moved back from college, we have been talking a little bit more and we hung out last week. She told me about her boyfriend's friend she knows and hinted that she wanted to set us up. I kind of laughed it off because my dad was right there and I don't talk about this kinda stuff with my family.

She texted me today and asked me to hang out, and I declined because I had to work until eight. She answered back that "it's fine, i'm going to have a bonfire tonight and it's just going to be me and the guy I was telling you about last week. He's really funny and nice and he just graduated college. my boyfriend won't be there until later because he's working."

I am in no position to turn down a possible set-up. But I am hesitating because although he sounds like a great guy, I truly dislike my friend's boyfriend, and if this guy is his friend, to me it speaks of his character that he hangs out with a loser like my friend's boyfriend. Is that wrong? Or should I give it a chance?

Replies

• will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Live a little!
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Normally I think alot of the questions asked on here are stupid, this one is a good one. No there is nothing wrong with not wanting to date someone due to who they hang out with. His friends are important tp him and if you date him, then you are forced to be part of their lives in some way. A person who is not cool that is friends with someone you are dating can make your life rough and cause alot of stress on the relationship. Ive been there before and it was a nightmare. You have to weigh the cons and pros and then make a decision whats best for you.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Christine,almost every post you make screams that you are terrified of being with a guy.
    I don`t know the answer and don`t want to be insulting but I do think you need to get some real life advice with this.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Christine,almost every post you make screams that you are terrified of being with a guy.
    I don`t know the answer and don`t want to be insulting but I do think you need to get some real life advice with this.

I am not terrified with being with a guy. I am just honestly curious if it is bad to not give someone a chance because you dislike his or her friends.

And I can ask my friends but I like asking the people on MFP because you all are objective and don't know the people and the situation, it is like a neutral observer.
  • Carl01
    Options

I am not terrified with being with a guy. I am just honestly curious if it is bad to not give someone a chance because you dislike his or her friends.

And I can ask my friends but I like asking the people on MFP because you all are objective and don't know the people and the situation, it is like a neutral observer.

Maybe I am wrong and if so then sorry but it just sounds like another excuse to not give something a chance.

Get to know him as he is and go by that.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

With out sounding insulting.. I second the above.
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would say give it a chance. One date is just that..one date. Or maybe suggest the four of you hanging out so you can get a feel for how he acts around your friend's boyfriend. I try not discount someone without giving himher the benefit of the doubt first but honestly I would say use your intuition and do what is best for you. Good luck :smile:
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a friend that may be deemed a "loser" maybe or less than desireable but what if this guys loser friend is your friends boyfriend.. He might be stand up guy.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a friend that may be deemed a "loser" maybe or less than desireable but what if this guys loser friend is your friends boyfriend.. He might be stand up guy.

This is exactly what I was going to say!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to not give a potential date a chance because of who he hangs out with?

My old best friend and I basically had our relationship stall and crash in 2009 because of her boyfriend, who I greatly dislike for a number of reasons. I let her know about it and told her he's bad news and that I didn't support them.

2009 was 3 years ago. people change. so what if you still don't like the bf? you may very well like his friend. give him a shot.

*edit. I fail at simple math. >.>
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Yeah, give him a chance.
    Hating the friend in 2009 might not be the best start, but what's the worst that can happen?

Plus people and their friends tend to be two separate entities.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about someone's friends reflecting their character to some extent, but you never know - this guy might be lovely. We all have 'friends' who we met as children, or at school, or through other mutual friends who we may not like all that much, but keep around for other reasons - sentiment, group dynamics etc. Either way, you get to hang out with your friend, and just maybe meet someone new who could turn out to be a nice guy, and a potential friend even if not a romance. Go enjoy the barbecue!

Sorry, bonfire! (facepalm)
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    The people you voluntarily love ie your friends say probably more about a person than anything else...so no I think you are right to think twice about this set up. I think there are statistics out there that say a man who is good friends with a man who cheats is more likely to cheat (I'm sure its probably the same for women)..Who has the most influence in your life besides your parents? Your friends! If you truly dislike the bf..I say there are other fish in the pond..plus you are young and pretty...find someone you like take your time there is no rush.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think you should judge people as individuals, not through their family or friends. Afterall, you still like/talk to your girl friend and she's in love with her b/f! Doesn't make HER a bad person does it?

Yes it could be awkward in the future if the 4 of you all hang out together, but that is a a big IF and a BUT.......

This guy could be the love of your life! You will never know unless you suck it and see!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    Live a little!

Yep! You cant go through life throwing curve balls in just for the sake of it. There are enough real and scary obstacles in life. Don't end up old and wondering why you didnt live it and grab every opportunity when it presented itself!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I think you should judge people as individuals, not through their family or friends. Afterall, you still like/talk to your girl friend and she's in love with her b/f! Doesn't make HER a bad person does it?

Yes it could be awkward in the future if the 4 of you all hang out together, but that is a a big IF and a BUT.......

This guy could be the love of your life! You will never know unless you suck it and see!!! :flowerforyou:

This is kind of how I was thinking of it also. Give the guy a chance.
  • Carl01
    Options

Anna!!??:noway:

:laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

metaphorically speaking Carl!! :bigsmile:

Although I realise its quite a provocative metaphor, which is probably why I love it :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Options

metaphorically speaking Carl!! :bigsmile:

Although I realise its quite a provocative metaphor, which is probably why I love it :laugh:

After all,she has said she has not even kissed a guy yet. :tongue:
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    What exactly is the reason why you dislike your friends boyfriend? Regardless, they are still together years later so it must work for them. I see nothing wrong with just meeting the dude, I mean c'mon....