Are you SURE you don't want healthcare for the poor?

Replies

• sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Wed 07/11/12 10:28 AM

I thought this was a 'friendly' debate site... Calling someone an idiot for her beliefs is character defining, in my opinion, as is using WIC when you drive a nice car with nice clothes and jewelry. Sell the car and get a cheaper one, sell the jewelry (aside from the sentimental), and consign your nice clothes to pay for things if you have to. I speak from experience as one who works as a teacher and whose husband earns upper middle class income. I have a chronic illness with 'good' medical insurance and sometimes have to do without to pay for the ongoing medical bills. People don't want to sacrifice, and seem to think they have a right to things they can't afford. It's pretty pathetic.
    I didn't need to sell anything to make ends meet. We had plenty in savings. My point was that we qualified for WIC because my husband was sent to war. Frankly, the fact that you think that someone whose spouse is sent to war should dress in rags, drive a clunker, and not own anything nice rather than get $30/month in government aid is rather character defining as well. FTR, the car was bought brand new 2 1/2 years earlier and was paid for (hubby worked for the company so we got it cheaper than the same model used would have been.) The clothes were bought at garage sales, Goodwill, etc. The jewelry was bought when I was single and managed a jewelry dept in college for 1/2 off or more from retail prices. Even though we are well off that doesn't mean I'm not frugal.

I don't think that about those who are sent to war. My point is exactly as I stated; nothing more.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    I think the US should have a military and a police force, but I don't want to pay for that, either. My taxes always have.

This makes me laugh since that's the one of the few things that the constitution actually allows the government to do.

National Government powers
    Print money
    Regulate interstate (between states) and international trade
    Make treaties and conduct foreign policy
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices
    Make laws necessary and proper to carry out the these power

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_powers_does_the_national_government_have_under_the_constitution_Which_powers_belong_to_the_states_Which_powers_are_shared#ixzz20X2HvBjs
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I think the US should have a military and a police force, but I don't want to pay for that, either. My taxes always have.

This makes me laugh since that's the one of the few things that the constitution actually allows the government to do.

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_powers_does_the_national_government_have_under_the_constitution_Which_powers_belong_to_the_states_Which_powers_are_shared#ixzz20X2HvBjs
    True, but the fact that someone wrote down somewhere that this is okay for the government to do doesn't impress me at all. I'm not concerned with the Constitution or law (especially since I've seen both thoroughly ignored and corrupted). I'm concerned with what is good for society right now.

Edit: And the thing which really should have been my main point and maybe only point is this:

What the laws are don't matter. They can and should be changed to better serve the people of the society that made them. We can agree or disagree on what laws will accomplish that, but it doesn't matter at all what the laws are now. Law should serve us, not the other way around.
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    I'd hate to live in a developing country like the USA.

If you want a good healthcare system (cheaper & better performing) I'd suggest looking at France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_France

The French health care system is one of universal health care largely financed by government national health insurance. In its 2000 assessment of world health care systems, the World Health Organization found that France provided the "best overall health care" in the world. In 2005, France spent 11.2% of GDP on health care, or US$3,926 per capita, a figure much higher than the average spent by countries in Europe but less than in the US. Approximately 77% of health expenditures are covered by government funded agencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_health_care_systems_in_Canada_and_the_United_States

So in 2005 the US was paying $6,500 per capita for care & France paying $3,926 per capita for care AND getting a higher quality service for all (including the poor).
  • Yes, I'm sure. I'd rather keep the money I work for.
  • Bump
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

True, but the fact that someone wrote down somewhere that this is okay for the government to do doesn't impress me at all. I'm not concerned with the Constitution or law (especially since I've seen both thoroughly ignored and corrupted). I'm concerned with what is good for society right now.

That's the reason our country is failing no one cares about the Constitution or Existing law. It doesn't impress you? #societyfail
  • MaraDiaz

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

That's the reason our country is failing no one cares about the Constitution or Existing law. It doesn't impress you? #societyfail

Why should anyone respect any law unless it is:

1. A good law.

2. Applied equally to everyone both in theory and practice.

Laws and Constitutions have permitted and even encouraged slavery, genocide, bigotry, and just about every other evil I can think of.

Speaking of healthcare, though, just read today a study showing that an uninsured person is about %50 more likely to die in the hospital of a stroke or heart attack than an insured person.

Euthanasia. It is alive and well in America.
  • I think the US should have a military and a police force, but I don't want to pay for that, either. My taxes always have.

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

1. A good law.

Laws and Constitutions have permitted and even encouraged slavery, genocide, bigotry, and just about every other evil I can think of.

Speaking of healthcare, though, just read today a study showing that an uninsured person is about %50 more likely to die in the hospital of a stroke or heart attack than an insured person.

Well good! Those types of people cost too much anyway. And if they don't contribute to society (work, pay taxes), they should go away.
  • MaraDiaz

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

1. A good law.

Well good! Those types of people cost too much anyway. And if they don't contribute to society (work, pay taxes), they should go away.

And by that you mean they should die. Well at least you're honest. Funny thing about humans, given a choice between killing or dying a lot of them will choose to kill. Which is probably why our society as a whole likes pretending that isn't the prevailing attitude. But people are starting to catch on more and more. And then let there be war.
  • I think the US should have a military and a police force, but I don't want to pay for that, either. My taxes always have.

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

1. A good law.

And by that you mean they should die. Well at least you're honest. Funny thing about humans, given a choice between killing or dying a lot of them will choose to kill. Which is probably why our society as a whole likes pretending that isn't the prevailing attitude. But people are starting to catch on more and more. And then let there be war.

Mara, read Marker by Robin Cook (if you haven't already). He writes medical thrillers, but he's a physician and there are facts behind the fiction. But it brings genetic testing into a whole new light.
  • MaraDiaz

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

1. A good law.

Mara, read Marker by Robin Cook (if you haven't already). He writes medical thrillers, but he's a physician and there are facts behind the fiction. But it brings genetic testing into a whole new light.

I haven't read anything by him, but I suppose I should, I need more nightmares about the horrible things humanity is likely to do with genetic technology instead of the wonderful things our species needs to be doing with it.

Print money
    Declare war
    Provide an army and navy

Establish post offices

1. A good law.

I haven't read anything by him, but I suppose I should, I need more nightmares about the horrible things humanity is likely to do with genetic technology instead of the wonderful things our species needs to be doing with it.

That's the problem. Do you think we will use this knowledge for the greater good? I don't. I think it will be used against us in the end. Humanity doesn't exist. I used to believe in it, but not anymore.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    I have an idea for a thriller. Obama enlists the NIH to genetically engineer a population of even hungrier, lazier, and more sickly poor people to drain your hard-earned money. Our only hope is Rush Limbaugh and the NRA's army of patriots!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    The way I see it, we have 3 choices:

Make the minimum wage a true living wage

Continue to pay higher taxes for the working poor to go to free clinics and the ER for care

Cut off care and pay for more riot police and prisons as the working poor revolt

And even if you pick 'make the minimum wage a living wage' you still have to worry about people who are unemployed and need healthcare.

Minimum wage was never intended to be living wage. They are very different things. Minimum wage is supposed to be the minimum to maintain the very basic living standards of food and shelter. It isn't to guarantee health insurance, steak dinners, car ownership, fancy cell phones, pets, multiple children, etc. It is supposed to be just enough to live.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member

I would love to see the study/research behind this statistic. I would venture to say this is a result of other risk factors/life choices commonly shared among those who do not carry insurance (regardless of the reason). I find it hard to believe that care for a single incident alone is so inferior for those without health insurance they are 50% more likely to die.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,576 Member
    double post.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,576 Member

Continue to pay higher taxes for the working poor to go to free clinics and the ER for care

Cut off care and pay for more riot police and prisons as the working poor revolt

And even if you pick 'make the minimum wage a living wage' you still have to worry about people who are unemployed and need healthcare.

Minimum wage was never intended to be living wage. They are very different things. Minimum wage is supposed to be the minimum to maintain the very basic living standards of food and shelter. It isn't to guarantee health insurance, steak dinners, car ownership, fancy cell phones, pets, multiple children, etc. It is supposed to be just enough to live.

You just defined a living wage in the same statement where you said minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage. Odd.

What a low minimum wage does is enable some companies to use the government to provide the benefits that they would otherwise need to provide. Meaning that they can pay minimum wage to part time employees and then the government assistance will then fill in the gaps so those employees can survive and spend their government assistance at their stores.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

You just defined a living wage in the same statement where you said minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage. Odd.

What a low minimum wage does is enable some companies to use the government to provide the benefits that they would otherwise need to provide. Meaning that they can pay minimum wage to part time employees and then the government assistance will then fill in the gaps so those employees can survive and spend their government assistance at their stores.
    A living wage is meant to be able to pay for things like health insurance, cars, phones, etc. Basically, the initial intent of minimum wage was to give a 'fair' amount of pay to people in menial jobs that didn't have backing of stronger groups of people like unions that could barter for fair wages. It wasn't intended to be something that someone could raise a family on, pay for education, insurance, home ownership, car ownership, etc.

I'm not arguing that someone working 30-40 hours a week shouldn't be able to expect at least some standard of living. Minimum wage wasn't set up to guarantee that.

As far as the health insurance/health care debate goes, I don't think everyone should automatically assume that they should get all care. I think that all children should have full coverage, disabled, and anyone with long term or chronic illnesses, and any honorably discharged veteran should automatically have coverage. Does that make me a horrible person? Maybe.

I also don't think that if the vast majority of the people in this homeless group of people would have tried to access healthcare from professionals, even if totally free, to treat their illness in this case. It isn't always cost, accessibility, and quality of care that keep people from seeking care. Sometimes, people just really don't want it.
  • MaraDiaz

I would love to see the study/research behind this statistic. I would venture to say this is a result of other risk factors/life choices commonly shared among those who do not carry insurance (regardless of the reason). I find it hard to believe that care for a single incident alone is so inferior for those without health insurance they are 50% more likely to die.

The reasons listed were:

Having to delay getting care in the first place due to not being able to afford it.

More expensive, potentially life saving procedures are often not done on the uninsured that are done on the insured.

And the all around quality of care is simply lower if you are uninsured.

Here is a news article on the study: http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/10/uninsured-more-likely-to-die-in-hospital-study-finds/