Stuff no one tells you...

Options
123457»

Replies

• jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I couldn't imagine being back in business that early! I have my 6 week PP appointment next week and while things don't hurt anymore, I'm not exactly eager to get back into the swing of things! I can tell DH is getting anxious, but I told him even if the doctor says it's okay to get busy, he's not to expect any action until I feel ready!

No stitches and laying around being waited on hand and foot for two weeks makes a huge difference. :tongue:

Yeah, I had a lot of stitches. 2nd degree tear that started high up in the birth canal, and an episiotomy. :sick: :sad:

I had that 6 week PP appointment I mentioned above. I take back what I said about things not hurting anymore. My scar tissue is so sensitive I cried during my pap and my doctor said it could take a few months for it to go back to normal. After the pap the doctor started the birth control discussion... I can assure you I won't be getting pregnant any time soon because NOTHING is going near my vag for a long time! (I should note that when I touch it when cleaning the area in the shower there is no pain, it was just the speculum that was painful. I don't want to scare anybody and have them think scar tissue hurts every time it's touched.)

I totally agree with dixonshock about the pain, etc being worth it and going on to have more children. I know women who've had way more damage to their under carriage than I do and they've gone on to have 2, 3 more kids. My new mantra is, "It must go back to normal if women keep doing this over and over." :laugh:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Reading all your comments has only left me terrified of ever getting pregnant

Haha! This is why I never attempted to educate myself on these things BEFORE I got pregnant. I actually feel like this is stuff you have to find out AFTER in order for the human race to go on. :-)

In all seriousness, it's not that bad (she says at 39 weeks pregnant). I've had a fairly comfortable pregnancy so far. Even if all these things that were discussed on this thread were to happen to one person (and don't get me wrong, that would suck). It's still pretty temporary compared to the joy of having that little baby in your arms...

I'm guessing its worth going through all the pain when so many women go on to have more children after the first despite all the pregnancy woes. I can only pray that when I get pregnant, it will be a smooth and happy experience .....famous last words! lol

All of these things are SO temporary - and usually not as bad as some women make them out to be - so you do generally get back to normal.

I remember saying right after my son was born that I didn't know how people did this more than once, let alone several times. For a while afterwards I considered only having one child. I knew we wanted to have at least one more, but the thought of doing everything all over again was too much. Eventually you get used to having personal autonomy again, and then you decide it's time to have another. So here I am.

I swear this is my last time, though. I just don't have it in me to do it all over again plus all the work after the baby is born. My husband isn't so sure that he wants to stop at two but is sure that he wants no more than three. However, we were talking about it last night, and I think he is getting on board with the idea of stopping after two kids.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Oh dear, I couldn't imagine being back in business that early! I have my 6 week PP appointment next week and while things don't hurt anymore, I'm not exactly eager to get back into the swing of things! I can tell DH is getting anxious, but I told him even if the doctor says it's okay to get busy, he's not to expect any action until I feel ready!

No stitches and laying around being waited on hand and foot for two weeks makes a huge difference. :tongue:

Yeah, I had a lot of stitches. 2nd degree tear that started high up in the birth canal, and an episiotomy. :sick: :sad:

I had that 6 week PP appointment I mentioned above. I take back what I said about things not hurting anymore. My scar tissue is so sensitive I cried during my pap and my doctor said it could take a few months for it to go back to normal. After the pap the doctor started the birth control discussion... I can assure you I won't be getting pregnant any time soon because NOTHING is going near my vag for a long time! (I should note that when I touch it when cleaning the area in the shower there is no pain, it was just the speculum that was painful. I don't want to scare anybody and have them think scar tissue hurts every time it's touched.)

I totally agree with dixonshock about the pain, etc being worth it and going on to have more children. I know women who've had way more damage to their under carriage than I do and they've gone on to have 2, 3 more kids. My new mantra is, "It must go back to normal if women keep doing this over and over." :laugh:

It is worth it, and you do conveniently "forget" about most of it after about a year or two.

jls8209, I hope your healing is quick, seriously! That sounds rather uncomfortable. I guess if you don't put anything up there, you'll be ok, though. You can still do other things with your husband, but I completely understand not being ready. It took me a few months, no joke, and even then it was like doing it with him for the first time, all slow, gentle, and nervous.

When I did my postpartum appointment last time, they pushed the pill on me like no other - I seriously was offered a prescription at least three separate times! They then had to remind me about six times that you can still get pregnant while nursing. I just told them we use condoms to shut them up - I couldn't admit that there was no way anything was going in my hoo-ha for a long time.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I swear this is my last time, though. I just don't have it in me to do it all over again plus all the work after the baby is born. My husband isn't so sure that he wants to stop at two but is sure that he wants no more than three. However, we were talking about it last night, and I think he is getting on board with the idea of stopping after two kids.

I think we want at least two but I haven't had the first one yet so of course no experience to compare it to there... but I am hoping my hubby would stop at two if I wanted to!
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My recent complaint that I never knew or really thought about...your stomach will itch like crazy. I am going nuts. Sometimes I will walk around the house with my hair brush to itch my stomach!! lol
  • RBXChas
    Options

I think we want at least two but I haven't had the first one yet so of course no experience to compare it to there... but I am hoping my hubby would stop at two if I wanted to!

My husband wants to get a vasectomy (his decision, not mine), but he wants to be 100% sure we're done having kids before he does that. I've assured him I'm 100% sure I'm done after this one. He's not 100% sure, but honestly I think part of it is that he wants to give me some time to be sure. Who knows, I might have a second and think that a third would be fun. Doubtful but certainly possible!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    My recent complaint that I never knew or really thought about...your stomach will itch like crazy. I am going nuts. Sometimes I will walk around the house with my hair brush to itch my stomach!! lol

I've heard about this but didn't have it happen to me last time (and hopefully won't this time). Apparently it's rather common!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I have had horrible "itchy belly." I use the Palmer's Vitamin E Oil on it, and it takes the edge off. I use it in the morning and at night.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Reading all your comments has only left me terrified of ever getting pregnant

We like to complain, but it's so worth it. It's all temporary and part of the amazing creation of life. Fear not! Women have been going through this for eons.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I like this Pregnant Chicken link:

http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2010/9/23/happily-after-giving-birth-10-things-they-dont-tell-you.html

#2 is funny (seriously, DON'T use a mirror to look at your postpartum vajayjay. I didn't but can't imagine it's pretty.

#4 is totally true. I rarely cried, but I cried *all the time* after having a baby. Over everything but especially over breastfeeding guilt (so not worth it!). I still cry pretty easily.

#5 is true, too - your hair does fall out, especially after you stop breastfeeding/pumping. Your body held onto it during your pregnancy, though, so you won't start going bald.

#8 is true and surprising to me, since I am one of those people who's cold all the time.

As for #10, as for stool softeners when you're in the hospital, just in case. Even if you didn't tear, things will feel weird down there, and sorry to be giving TMI, but we all poop.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

My husband wants to get a vasectomy (his decision, not mine), but he wants to be 100% sure we're done having kids before he does that. I've assured him I'm 100% sure I'm done after this one. He's not 100% sure, but honestly I think part of it is that he wants to give me some time to be sure. Who knows, I might have a second and think that a third would be fun. Doubtful but certainly possible!

If you are both not 100% sure try Mirena. I had it between my second and third, and it was great! (PS I thought that we were 100% done so my husband had a vasectomy... and guess what? I managed to get pregnant again anyway! The moral of that story id to go back to the office for the post- vasectomy re- check)
  • rabbit__food
    Options
    I use the Palmer's Massage Cream during the day and the Tummy Butter at night. I let out such a sigh of relief when I put it on lol And so far no stretch marks, so that's just a bonus!
  • rabbit__food
    Options

I have had horrible "itchy belly." I use the Palmer's Vitamin E Oil on it, and it takes the edge off. I use it in the morning and at night.

I use the Palmer's Massage Cream during the day and the Tummy Butter at night. I let out such a sigh of relief when I put it on lol And so far no stretch marks, so that's just a bonus!
  • RBXChas
    Options

If you are both not 100% sure try Mirena. I had it between my second and third, and it was great! (PS I thought that we were 100% done so my husband had a vasectomy... and guess what? I managed to get pregnant again anyway! The moral of that story id to go back to the office for the post- vasectomy re- check)

I won't be getting an IUD for moral reasons (not going to get into it here, definitely not the time/place! - but to each her own, my opinion is my own, and I don't judge anyone for disagreeing with me). As for a vasectomy, my BIL has a patient who had two kids 18 years apart because the dad's vasectomy reversed itself! I did a bit of internet "research" and discovered that it can happen and that men need to have their semen re-checked regularly. I'm sure my husband wouldn't be thrilled about it, but I would have to insist that he re-check often!
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    so I talked to my sis about all the stuff on this board and she has one more to add. If you have stitches you can ice them, however, do not leave the ice on there otherwise you get freezer burn in addition to already being sore. EEK! After learning the hard way she recommends getting a towel damp and freezing that, it's less likely to burn/freeze you
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    You'll have the frame of mind of an early Alzheimer's patient...
    You'll pee your pants if you sneeze too hard, laugh too hard, or feel even the slightest breeze...

LOL this cracked me up. I'm sooooo dumb when pregnant. I've been spacy and nauseous for a couple of days now, I should have known I was before getting my + test! I almost put sour cream on my bagel this morning instead of cream cheese :blushing:

Oh and that pee your pants thing? Yeah that lasts after the baby is born too
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    so I talked to my sis about all the stuff on this board and she has one more to add. If you have stitches you can ice them, however, do not leave the ice on there otherwise you get freezer burn in addition to already being sore. EEK! After learning the hard way she recommends getting a towel damp and freezing that, it's less likely to burn/freeze you

I had stitches with my first... I used to lay naked on my bed with the fan blowing down there. My docs actually recommended to do something like that. Never heard about the ice though!

Adding to the things no one tells you.. I NEVER heard your boobs leak after having a baby!! I didn't breastfeed my two because of being on certain medications. I never knew they'd leak if you don't breast feed! I knew they're get huge and hurt, but leak. Nope, forgot to mention that. My mom looks at me and goes, Amy, ,did you spill something on your shirt? And I was like, I don't think so. Low and behold, it was the tatas.