Job Snob

Options
Does it matter to you what the person you date does for a living? Do you care how much money they make?

Would you go out with someone unemployed or who was unhappy with their job?

I'm not a materialistic person, and I don't necessarily care how much money someone makes as long as he is stable and can take care of his business. Personally, I would NOT date a man who is unemployed or terribly unhappy with his job (with no plans to improve the situation but to whine and complain:grumble: ).

I think I'm a job snob. :huh:

And maybe I shouldn't be this way...

I am a teacher. Not a lot of money in teaching. I never expect to be rich, but I'm comfortable. I may not have all the things I want, but my needs are met. I work in the service industry. It's definitely not a glamorous job.

But I do have a college education, and education is important to me. So is striving to do your best, improving yourself, etc.

So, I was talking to this guy. He seemed okay. Then, I found out what he did for a living. And all interest was lost. In my defense, there wasn't a HUGE spark to start with...

Replies

• poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    All I got from this is: you are content, but you wouldn't date someone else who is content?
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    What would you have done if he told you her was retired instead?
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i'm not a job snob at all, i've dated unemployed to women with job titles so long i cant remember lol
  • poncho33
    Options
    Just cause I'm curious, what was his job??
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    All I got from this is: you are content, but you wouldn't date someone else who is content?

That's why I came to the boards. To get slapped in the face with my own words. :tongue:

I guess that is what I said, and maybe to an extent, I meant it. If a guy is content with working for minimum wage at McDonald's, I'm not sure I could date him. He doesn't have to make a lot of money, and I don't care if he works a blue collar or a white collar job, as long as he takes care of his business. But I don't want to date the Waffle House cook.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    What would you have done if he told you her was retired instead?

It depends. Retired from what and why? Most of the guys I date are too young to retire unless it's from the military. If it's because of a disability, that brings up a whole other issue.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    i'm not a job snob at all, i've dated unemployed to women with job titles so long i cant remember lol

I really think that's awesome! :smile:

When I was younger, I dated all sorts... perhaps it's my experience with the unemployed ones that has changed my mind about such things...
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options

That's why I came to the boards. To get slapped in the face with my own words. :tongue:

I guess that is what I said, and maybe to an extent, I meant it. If a guy is content with working for minimum wage at McDonald's, I'm not sure I could date him. He doesn't have to make a lot of money, and I don't care if he works a blue collar or a white collar job, as long as he takes care of his business. But I don't want to date the Waffle House cook.

So its not the job its more the lack of drive that turns you off. Someone who is content with minimum wage must not want much in life and i can see why you wouldnt want to date...did i get it or did i slap you this time lol
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Just cause I'm curious, what was his job??

Waffle House cook
  • poncho33
    Options

Would you eat at McDonald's or the Waffle House??

Frankly if he works at McDonald's he works for one of the most profitable restraunts in the world.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

So its not the job its more the lack of drive that turns you off. Someone who is content with minimum wage must not want much in life and i can see why you wouldnt want to date...did i get it or did i slap you this time lol

BINGO!!! That's it. :smile:
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    I am not a job snob, but I do want someone with goals. Also someone who is working on their education or has their education.

I just want someone motivated. Oh yeah, beautiful, smart, and having similar interests. Also health conscious.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Would you eat at McDonald's or the Waffle House??

Not by my choice, but, yeah, I've eaten in those places.

And, okay, maybe if he works at McDonald's and has plans to go into management, that's one thing. But if he's happy flipping burgers and has no aspirations for anything else, that's a different story.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the exact issue is.
    If it is a person living hand to mouth at 35 years old washing dishes then maybe one should wonder but if he is doing okay,having to be a professional but in a non glamorous blue collar job you are embarrassed to have your friends know about then probably you won`t find a lot of sympathy.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    It really depends on what the exact issue is.
    If it is a person living hand to mouth at 35 years old washing dishes then maybe one should wonder but if he is doing okay,having to be a professional but in a non glamorous blue collar job you are embarrassed to have your friends know about then probably you won`t find a lot of sympathy.

That's my point. I don't mind if a guy works in a non-glamorous job. That doesn't bother me. I do like a man who has good work ethic. It's the 35 yr old washing dishes that tends to bother me...
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't care about a guy's job, and I actually prefer more of a "blue collar" style guy myself. The problem is, I make decent money and my standards have gone up over the years. A lot of the guys I'm attracted to are the type that like to "be the man" and cover everything. Well, it's awkward when he asks me where I wanna go out to eat and I know all the places I go to with friends or my son would break his bank. It's also awkward when guys find out how much you make and then they either get intimidated or they switch into "she's a sugar momma" role.

A guy working at waffle house wouldn't necessarily bother me unless I knew the backstory. I'm getting old enough now that I meet guys who have retired from the military with a decent check and are just doing little po-dunk jobs to cover extra expenses/hobbies, get out and meet people, and have no stress of supervision/work to take home. I totally get that!

I want to travel. I want to live comfortably (which doesn't take much!). I want to dress nice (and I do). I do that stuff for myself, and don't need a man to provide. But when I'm looking for a partner to my adventures, he's at least gotta pay his own way.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just happy if the guy I see has a job. Both of my exs didnt have jobs the entire time we were together
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Another thing to add to my example of when a 35 yr old working at waffle house would be understandable...

Maybe the economy hit him hard, he's on his way climbing back up, and this was the only job he could get as a temporary stepping stone to get back on his feet.

Now... if he's like one friend I know: incredibly intelligent but no drive to work at anything than a minimum wage job b/c that's all he needs to cover his chess playing expenses than, yeah, I would have a problem with that too.

But that's not about his job... it's about his drive and his "minimum effort" attitude toward life. There's nothing "wrong" with that kind of attitude, but I'm a "give it 110%" intense kind of gal, and I know I know I won't be able to coexist long with someone who just believes in accomplishing the minimum. Friends, sure. Mates, nope.

And, yes, I've had friends laugh the careers of some of the guys I've gone out with, but the bottom line is I care more about how we work as a team and how I feel around him. I would get two totally different feelings from someone working at Waffle House b/c he never bothers to apply himself and someone who is just there due to circumstance or because the job serves another purpose than just making money.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Now, having said all that... lol... I just wanna add that I wouldn't let his type of job or lack of a job prevent a first or 2nd date. If he asked me out, sure I'd go out with him. But it's all about the backstory and whether or not our desired future lifestyles are compatible.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea to throw all pre-conceived notions out the window right now about jobs/employment. We're living in a once in a lifetime type bad economy right now. The only people who have seen things like what is going on right now are the 85+ year old retirees who remember the Great Depression as children. Dec 2007-present is like nothing since then. The early 2000s recession and the stagflation/economic malaise of the 1970s were walks in the park compared to current conditions.

For example (and this comes from a recent article I found), only a half of those who graduated college since 2006 are now employed full time, according to a recent Rutgers University survey. More college graduates are settling for jobs that in years past would have gone to those without degrees, while people in their 30s are now occupying jobs once taken by recent graduates.

There are a lot of recent college graduates working as baristas at Starbucks, waiting tables or doing some other high school diploma level job.

In short, to me, employment status isn’t a big deal to me. Every situation is individual, and I think we have to dig deeper and get to know the person.